Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Startup Checks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewbutler(at)ireland.c

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Startup Checks Reply with quote

Darwin,

Here is a complete thread I had with Brad at E-Mag Ignitions earlier this year on startup checks.

Cheers, Andrew.
Sent: 09 May 2008 16:57
To: Butler, Andrew
Subject: RE: Startup Checks

Andrew:

When an ignition is first powered up it has to wake up, load the operating code, track engine position, determine when the next spark even needs to happen, and finally trigger that spark event. If you power up while the engine is running all this has to happen very quickly. Since P models make their own power (as long as the engine is running), you cannot shut down the processor. You can turn both the p-lead and the 12 supply OFF and it will still be "awake" doing its business as usual, waiting to resume firing as soon as the p-lead is ungrounded.  With E models, however, you can power them OFF when running, and the ignition (truly) will go dark - still no problem. Powering the E model OFF is not the issue. It's when you 1) power an E model ON (while the engine is running) and 2) with the p-lead ungrounded that you are asking it to instantaneously wake up and start firing as described above. The condition can be avoided (if encountered) by making sure the p-lead is grounded (OFF) before powering (12 volt) ON an E model ignition while the engine is running.

Even so, if this happens, we aren't predicting disaster. It will probably resume operation just fine, but there is no reason to do it in the first place - that's all.

I don't recall any customers (yet) in Ireland - congratulations, you'll be number 1.

Kindest Regards,

Brad Dement
E-MAG Ignitions
2014 Greg Street Box 112
Azle, Texas 76020
(817) 444-5310

From: Butler, Andrew [mailto:andrew.butler(at)nuigalway.ie]
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 10:29 AM
To: info(at)emagair.com

Thanks very much Brad, and you are welcome.

· I am assuming that like a magneto, the plugs only spark when the unit (connection 4) is NOT grounded.
·   What is the logic behind not switching off power to an E-MAG while the engine is running? I am assuming that switching off power is okay, that it is switching power back on while the engine is turning that is the problem. What exactly is the event sequence associated with switching on power while the engine is turning that is problematic?
·   Why is it problematic to turn power on while the P-MAG is “live” i.e ungrounded?

I am not installing a rotary key switch, rather an individual power switch for each ignition. It appears that I will need a two position switch that allows me to control access to power and ground individually.

BTW, I think mine will be the first IE registered aircraft will dual EMAGAIR ignitions. Do you know of any other customers in Ireland?

Cheers, Andrew.
RV71700
Galway, Ireland.

Sent: 08 May 2008 17:07
To: Butler, Andrew

Hi Andrew:

Thanks for considering us for your project.

The ignition check for E-MAG ignitions is very similar to that of magnetos.  You'll do your regular L/R (p-lead) check to make sure both ignitions operate. The only difference is that for each P model ignition you have installed (one or both) you'll add one additional sequence. While switched to the individual P model(s), simply turn OFF the 12 volt power  that feeds that ignition for a few seconds to verify the engine continues to run. If the engine runs, the internal alternator is operating.  If the engine quits, the alternator is not working. The engine speed should be 1000 rpm or greater when you do this check.

There is no need to do this test with an E model as they don't have an alternator.  The L/R test is a p-lead (ON/OFF) test applicable to both E and P models. The 12 power (ON/OFF) test is applicable to P models only, and we discourage doing it with E models, so the FAQ you refer to is not in conflict with the pre-flight ignition tests.

The Installation and Operating Guide also has some recommendations on starting with our equipment - see Downloads page on our web site.

Don't hesitate to call or drop us a note if you have any other questions.

Kindest Regards,

Brad Dement
E-MAG Ignitions
2014 Greg Street Box 112
Azle, Texas 76020
(817) 444-5310

From: Butler, Andrew [mailto:andrew.butler(at)nuigalway.ie]
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 9:09 AM
To: info(at)emagair.com
Subject: Startup Checks
Hello,

I am awaiting delivery of an XP Superior IO 360. I had opted to replace the mags with dual ignition from lightspeed. Then I was made aware that Superior were about to start offering your product as an option also.

Given what I have learned, I am going to switch to dual P-Mags.

I need some advice on how to perform prefilght checks of each ignition. Sure, switching off the power to both and see if the engine stops is fine, but how do I determine whether each (or both) continue to fire when power is disconnected?

Also, your FAQ says never switch on the E-Mag power with the engine running. How does one then perform preflight checks on each ignition in an E-Mag / P-Mag configuration?

Best regards, Andrew Butler.

RV71700.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: