Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wing Tank Fuel Coating- Peeling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lowandslow1(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Wing Tank Fuel Coating- Peeling Reply with quote

.hmmessage P{margin:0px;padding:0px}body.hmmessage{FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma}Just as a note for those with older wing tanks.  My tanks were manufactured in Aug/95 and the internal slosh/sealer coating applied by the manufacturer is coming off in large pieces. Some are small flakes others are 3" x 4". 
My tanks have never had any fuel in them as the I am still under construction:(( .  I noticed the peeling when I got one of the tanks out Friday to look at it.  Last year when I looked at the tanks C the coating was still adhered C as far as I could tell.  You can see through the semi-opaque fiberglass and see the flakes and hear them when you move the tank around. 
Check your finger strainers!!!

Andy
Series 5 TD
With Windows Live for mobile C your contacts travel with you. Connect on the go. [quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Fox5flyer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Wing Tank Fuel Coating- Peeling Reply with quote

Andy, this is a very old problem and there are tons of entries in the archives. While you're checking those out, you needn't worry too much. What has happened is the old Kreem has delaminated because the mold release wasn't cleaned off before the tanks were factory sloshed. There's a fix (s). You're likely to get several different methods and opinions on what to do, but the bottom line is that you're OK, especially since you haven't installed the tanks. The simple fix is to use Acetone or MEK to remove the old Kreem slosh. Just put a couple gallons in the tank, plug the holes, and give it a good tumble. It'll take awhile, but the sheets of Kreem will dissolve. Here's where the options come in. You can reslosh with various products out there. Randolph and Kreem are both good ones. Try to find one that is impervious to ethanol. When you do the slosh, ensure it's thinned out so that it'll flow to all corners and crevices. Let it dry and you're good to go. Another method is to not reslosh at all! Some have done it that way and I haven't heard of any problems. In the archives, use key words like "slosh, kreem, etc."
Good luck,
Deke

[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Ken Potter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Wing Tank Fuel Coating- Peeling Reply with quote

Now I'm a little worried. I bought my kitfox II last year about 90% complete. The tanks were installed by the previous builder in 1994. I will be ready for test flying in early spring 09. Should I be worried; ie; should I borascope the tanks???

Ken Potter
Kitfox II 483
Rotax 582 c box

matronics(at)bob.brennan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Wing Tank Fuel Coating- Peeling Reply with quote

Ken - I have a similar Model 2 but it's been flying since 1991. Do you know
if the wing tank(s) is aluminum or plastic? The aluminum (mine) tanks all
fail on the leading edge and leak, and Kitfox even had a trade-in program to
replace them. I recently acid-etched and "Kreem"ed mine, and I expect to
have to do it on a regular basis. Mine had many areas flaked off and the
tank leaked when I bought the plane, the previous owner simply said "I don't
use the wing tank".

Bob Brennan
1991 UK Model 2 Kitfox
Rotax 582 with 3 blade prop
Wrightsville Pa

--

Ken Potter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Wing Tank Fuel Coating- Peeling Reply with quote

The previous owner installed the plastic (fibreglass??) tanks after Denny replaced the aluminum ones for free. In fact I still have a set of new aluminum tanks which came with the plane.

Ken

Tom Jones

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Wing Tank Fuel Coating- Peeling Reply with quote

Ken Potter wrote:
Now I'm a little worried. I bought my kitfox II last year about 90% complete. The tanks were installed by the previous builder in 1994. I will be ready for test flying in early spring 09. Should I be worried; ie; should I borascope the tanks???

Ken Potter
Kitfox II 483
Rotax 582 c box

My wing tanks came with the kit in 1994. They are sloshed with the white Kreem and so far no problems. The kreem slosh appears to be thin and bonded tight to the surface in the tanks.

There was a note attached to the tanks from the factory that stated the Kreem coating would protect the fiberglass tanks from fuel additives.

When some problems with the Kreem flaking off surfaced, the factory recommended builders visually inspect the coating in their tanks by shining a flash light into the filler opening to look for loose kreem and gently probing the kreem coating with a screw driver to determine if it was secure.

I would say a borescope would be an excellent way to do this inspection.

Ellensburg, WA
msm_9949(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Wing Tank Fuel Coating- Peeling Reply with quote

Ken,

Have a peek inside those tanks. It may not be a problem for you. My model 2 tanks are of about the same vintage as yours and (knock wood) I've had no problems. So far. But the advice to remove and check your finger strainers at least annually is certainly sound.

Marco Menezes N99KX
Model 2 582-90 C-Box

--- On Tue, 7/29/08, Ken Potter <kjpotter(at)sympatico.ca> wrote:

Quote:
Subject: Re: Wing Tank Fuel Coating- Peeling
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 6:18 PM

Quote:
--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "Ken Potter"
<kjpotter(at)sympatico.ca>

Now I'm a little worried. I bought my kitfox II last year about 90%
complete. The tanks were installed by the previous builder in 1994. I will be
ready for test flying in early spring 09. Should I be worried; ie; should I
borascope the tanks???

Ken Potter
Kitfox II 483
Rotax 582 c box

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=195628#195628

[quote][b]

Ken Potter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wing Tank Fuel Coating- Peeling Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I checked the tanks today. One appears to have a white coating, and the other is bare fibreglass. I'm going to give the previous owner a call and ask him about it. Question, is the white coating a sealant? The wings are ready to go on the plane, but I think that I can coat the other tank if I can assemble a large enough "team" the move the hole wing.

Cheers

Ken Potter
Kitfox II No. 483
Rotax 582 c box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: