Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

safety experiment
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: safety experiment Reply with quote

Richard Stracke's recent posting started me wondering how many people have had a similar experience with an unintentional lift-off in a Kolb. I had attributed my accidental take-off to a gust, but Richard's use of the term "ballooning" seems to be a more appropriate term. I had been taxiing for engine testing, going at what I thought was a moderate, controllable speed. Probably about the same as one would use going down a taxi-way to the other end of a runway. I had been having engine trouble, with several distinct problems. At idle, there was a very heavy vibration- a shaking- that smoothed out above 2500 rpm. When I taxied the length of the runway- 900 feet or so- , and then went back to idle, the engine would "load up" and not promptly respond to throttle advance for a few seconds. Or, it would go the other way, and reduce rpms to 1400 or so, and nor respond at all until I shut it down and re-started. At the north end of the field, a couple of hundred feet from the end, there was an area that was slightly down hill, and would cause the plane to noticeably accelerate, even at idle. Sometimes I would have to shut off the motor to slow down enough to make my u-turn. I am not sure, but I think this is where my event occurred. My memory of all of it is still very shaky, more like a series of pictures than a flow of events.
In order to help others stay away from a similar problem, I would like to enlist some help from the experienced members of the List. How slowly can someone make a very light Firestar take off? Or for that matter, what is the slowest lift-off speed of any of the Kolbs? My Firestar lifted off with a gross weight of about 475 lbs. , and about 2700rpm. What could be indicators of an imminent lift-off? How can ground speed be determined prior to such an event? Can a few of you take your plane and, on a long, safe area, carefully induce the plane off the ground and report the speeds and conditions? Maybe a GPS to determine it.

Thanks

Bill Sullivan
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: safety experiment Reply with quote

William

I have done this many times. It is a feature of all the current models of Kolb aircraft. Reduce the power any way you choose to when near flying speed and it will lift off. As I have said before some people have used this as a way to pop off the ground. Abruptly reducing the power while fast taxing will result in a very abrupt pitch up trim and it will get you air born. Someone that is inexperienced in this feature will get themselves in trouble doing this. I was taught in my private pilot training to taxi at a fast "walking" speed. This is a good rule for a Kolb. These planes fly very well and will reward you with flight if they get the chance. Never fast taxi if your aren't ready to fly.

Also I think it is a very very bad idea to "crow hop" these airplanes as a way learning to fly.

Again this is worth what you paid for it.

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jlsk1(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: safety experiment Reply with quote

William, I agree with Rick on all of his comments here, and add, that nothing takes the place of some qualified dual instruction in a Kolb, when transitioning from something else to a Kolb.
Jim
Cookeville, TN
MK-3C
[quote] ---

Dana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: safety experiment Reply with quote

Bill,

Many pilots have found themselves accidentally airborne. Probably the more
common scenario is to wreck trying to get it down on the remaining runway,
rather than losing it on a landing attempt after going around the
pattern. A related (and just as bad) situation is getting too high, or too
far off the runway centerline, on an intentional crow hop.

The minimum speed at which any aircraft will take off is, of course, its
stall speed. For your plane that was probably somewhere between 25-30 mph,
a lot slower than the Ercoupes you used to fly. The engine rpm is
irrelevant if you've achieved flying speed; you could accelerate to flying
speed, chop the power to idle, and pop the plane up into the air... though
of course you won't stay up long. The rpm necessary to accelerate to
flying speed on the ground is considerably less than that needed to stay
airborne, since there is much less drag when the wheels and not the wings
are supporting the aircraft's weight.

Your engine trouble (rough idle and hesitation when the throttle is opened)
sounds a rich mixture at idle. However, all single and two cylinder
2-strokes run rather rough at low rpm.
Hope your healing is going well. Any thoughts on where you'll go from
here, flying wise?

-Dana
--
End rush hour traffic now! Legalize vehicular weaponry!

Ralph B

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: safety experiment Reply with quote

Quote:
Richard Stracke's recent posting started me wondering how many people have had a similar experience with an unintentional lift-off in a Kolb. I had attributed my accidental take-off to a gust, but Richard's use of the term "ballooning" seems to be a more appropriate term. I had been taxiing for engine testing, going at what I thought was a moderate, controllable speed. Probably about the same as one would use going down a taxi-way to the other end of a runway. I had been having engine trouble, with several distinct problems. At idle, there was a very heavy vibration- a shaking- that smoothed out above 2500 rpm. When I taxied the length of the runway- 900 feet or so- , and then went back to idle, the engine would "load up" and not promptly respond to throttle advance for a few seconds. Or, it would go the other way, and reduce rpms to 1400 or so, and nor respond at all until I shut it down and re-started. At the north end of the field, a couple of hundred feet from the end, there was an area that was slightly down hill, and would cause the plane to noticeably accelerate, even at idle. Sometimes I would have to shut off the motor to slow down enough to make my u-turn. I am not sure, but I think this is where my event occurred. My memory of all of it is still very shaky, more like a series of pictures than a flow of events.
In order to help others stay away from a similar problem, I would like to enlist some help from the experienced members of the List. How slowly can someone make a very light Firestar take off? Or for that matter, what is the slowest lift-off speed of any of the Kolbs? My Firestar lifted off with a gross weight of about 475 lbs. , and about 2700rpm. What could be indicators of an imminent lift-off? How can ground speed be determined prior to such an event? Can a few of you take your plane and, on a long, safe area, carefully induce the plane off the ground and report the speeds and conditions? Maybe a GPS to determine it.

Thanks

Bill Sullivan

Bill, light Kolb aircraft lift off the ground quickly and the very light ones in a few feet with very little throttle. Mine is 319 lbs and stalls at 20 mph indicated. Since it's so light on the tail, I will go with full back stick and gradual full throttle. Once the plane is airborne, the stick goes forward or it will stall. This method isn't recommended for novices as they may not get the stick forward in time and end up stalling. This is my technique for crosswind takeoffs as the tail needs to be planted until it reaches flying speed or it will go off the runway. I would say the Firestar lifts off at 30 mph.

Ralph

Kolb Kolbra 912uls
N20386
550 hours
jbhart(at)onlyinternet.ne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: safety experiment Reply with quote

At 01:50 PM 8/5/08 -0400, you wrote:
Quote:

Bill,

However, all single and two cylinder
2-strokes run rather rough at low rpm.

This may be a characteristic of a piston ported two cycle engine, but it is
not true of a reed valve two cycle engine.

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, IN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: safety experiment Reply with quote

So far, a fast walk is the best description of the safest speed to taxi. My sppeds at 2700 rpm were about running speed. I had had a one wing lift-off a couple of weeks earlier at about walking speed, caused by a strong gust coming in from my left. I thought I had a flat tire, or bent a landing gear- I had bent a couple of soft quality replacements prior to this (see the List under Firestar project). Another factor in generating lift-off speed might have been that the grass had been recently mowed.
My only experience in observing ultralights taking off was watching Ed Harvey's Firefly, and Paul Gibney's Mitchell wing- but these were full power intentional take-offs. They had both observed my taxiing method, and neither had thought it fast enough to mention any hazards. I think the Firestar was deceptively large for it's weight, weighing in at about 307 with gas, and I only weighed 170 dressed. I think observers would think it would require a lot more speed to take off.
The other known factor that day was weather. Temp in the 70's, completely overcast with clouds at about 1400 feet, some minor wind- enough to spin the sock around and lift it half way, then drop it. At lift-off it was overcast, but when I woke up looking at the EMT's face the sun was shining. Figure about 20 minutes total for the sky to clear up. I can't give a wind speed in mph for that.
When more people check in, maybe we can get some kind of formula regarding gross weight, wind speed, wing area, and safe taxi speeds.

Bill Sullivan
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: safety experiment Reply with quote

Dana- I kow I wasn't going anywhere near 25 mph, but that doesn't count a stray gust. Like I said, about running speed (I think). Once it popped up, it went/rolled to the right- and there were marker cones, vent pipes for the old dump, and an embankment with a road. I had been told that if I ever got in trouble down at that end, to immediately go to full throttle and get away from the ground. Luckily, the engine didn't bog down, but that only delayed things for a few minutes. My vibration was a lot more than the other two 447's I'd seen; maybe motor mounts?
Healing is progressing nicely. Still in a wheelchair, but can walk around a bit before lying down or sitting. The neck brace turned out to be totally unnecessary, as I had a lot of previous damage. I see the doctor in another 5 weeks.
I will probably try to rebuild the Firestar. It will give me something to do this winter. My wife is continuing to take lessons up in Northampton, time and weather permitting. She took her most recent lesson in a CT Sport. She said it was a lot more sensitive than the Cessna.
I can't do a full damage assessment on the Firestar until I can shift parts around. What I did see tells me it can be fixed. It wasn't ready to go in the air- The wings only had temporary hardware store multi-hole clevis pins in them! We will see.

Bill Sullivan
[quote][b]

Dana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: safety experiment Reply with quote

At 02:45 PM 8/5/2008, william sullivan wrote:
Quote:
So far, a fast walk is the best description of the safest speed to
taxi. My sppeds at 2700 rpm were about running speed. I had had a one
wing lift-off a couple of weeks earlier at about walking speed, caused by
a strong gust coming in from my left...

Do you remember learning crosswind taxi technique, how to hold the ailerons
depending on the wind direction?

If you're taxiing fast enough to get the tailwheel off the ground, it's too
fast unless you're on the runway, and prepared to fly.

Quote:
... I think the Firestar was deceptively large for it's weight, weighing
in at about 307 with gas, and I only weighed 170 dressed....
When more people check in, maybe we can get some kind of formula
regarding gross weight, wind speed, wing area, and safe taxi speeds.

Well, you can use the stall speed calculations in AC103-7: Based on a wing
area of 140 ft², which I believe is correct for the Firestar, and an all up
weight of 477 lbs, the 103-7 nomograph gives a stall speed of 25
knots. Subtract from that the max gust speed and a reasonable safety
factor, and you have a max taxi speed.

Quote:
It wasn't ready to go in the air- The wings only had temporary hardware
store multi-hole clevis pins in them!

Yikes! No WAY would I fast taxi any aircraft that wasn't ready to
fly! You're even luckier to be alive than I thought.

-Dana
--
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be
changed regularly, and for the same reason.

aoldman(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: safety experiment Reply with quote

You engine problem has all the indications of being over rich. If you have
the same problem again remove the air filter and try again. This will lean
it out a bit. It maybe that all that is required is for the aircleaner to be
cleaned. If it has been run at low RPM for some time the aircleaner may have
a lot of oil in it.

Regards
Tony
MK111
---

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: safety experiment Reply with quote

Tony- I have to table engine work until I put the plane back together, but I will save your notes. Thank you. The air cleaner was new, but did have a lot of low rpm running time- maybe 4 hours at or under 2700rpm. The other engine problem I don't think I mentioned was that after I changed from a 10 gallon tank (very dirty) to a clean 5 gallon tank was a drop in max rpm from 6500 (10gal.) to 6200 (5 gal.). I did keep trying to adjust the air and idle screws, but I don't recall the exact results. I made many, many trips down the runway and back while trying to fix the loading up, or bogging down, problem I had. Make a run, try it, shut down and adjust, and repeat. I didn't have brakes, so I had to stand outside with a foot on the strut and rev it up to 4000 or so to clear it. Then I'd get in, and repeat the taxi run to see if it would happen again. It was during this testing I had my lift-off.

Bill Sullivan
[quote][b]

aoldman(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: safety experiment Reply with quote

Good luck with the rebuild. I would suggest you tie the Kolb down and sort the engine out when you get your other problems sorted. With it tied down you can run the engine through its full RPM range. Its good to hear your mishap has not put you off. Get your self well, then attend to the Kolb . Good health and make your own good luck.

Regards
Tony
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: safety experiment Reply with quote

Thanks, Tony. I don't have to tie it down- it's going to be a major rebuild. Sitting in a pile in the back yard right now. When I am capable of walking, I will get pictures and post them.

Bill Sullivan
do not archive

[quote][b]

aoldman(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: safety experiment Reply with quote

OKy , I might just go and take some flying photos myself, for two reasons. One is I have been neglecting aviation a bit lately and second to remind you of what you are missing. Half a world away I would like to think begining aviators have the support of of us all. On this post there is a lot of very good advise from some very experianced people . For our sport that can be a bit of a problem. It may save some bent tubes and some lives but it does put a hand brake on inivation.
Having said that we should individualy asses all the information available and take the road that seems plausable to us.
Dont expect to get it right every time. This flying thing is no harder than driving a car {so my instructor informed me when I had a bit of a problem working out where the ground was}
Heal well
Tony
[quote] To: kolb list (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 8:57 PM
Subject: safety experiment

Thanks, Tony. I don't have to tie it down- it's going to be a major rebuild. Sitting in a pile in the back yard right now. When I am capable of walking, I will get pictures and post them.

Bill Sullivan
do not archive

Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

rp3420(at)freescale.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: safety experiment Reply with quote

Bill Sullivan,

I publicly wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your willingness to be so upfront about your misadventure. The many things that I have learned from your posts and everyone else's replies and advise on this subject is truthfully a blessing to me personally. I know in future archives others will gain from this adventure, even to the point of saving lives.

Thanks you for your openness and honesty. Thank you for this list and the great ideas and advise. This is what it's all about.

Tim Gherkins
Phx-AZ
FSII- Prepped to fly, getting instruction.

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of william sullivan
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 1:57 AM
To: kolb list
Subject: safety experiment

Bill Sullivan

[quote]

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: safety experiment Reply with quote

Mike- Your VG demo tape was very informative for my purposes. The angle of attack at 30 mph was much greater than my Firestar was when parked. With you weighing in at 1000 lbs., and me at 475, it tells all of us just how close to an unintentional lift-off even a slow taxi could be- and especially with no ground speed indication.

Bill Sullivan
[quote][b]

R. Hankins

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: safety experiment Reply with quote

Bill,
I can't help but notice that you have mentioned ground speed several times in connection with your unintentional lift-off. This line of thinking can get one in trouble. It is airspeed and airspeed only that will lift you off of the ground. I have landed in gusty winds and had a wing come up at no more than walking speed. I have watched my firestar lift off a few inches for several seconds at a time while tied to the cables on the ramp at Lakeview, Oregon. Zero ground speed, but flying! A ground speed indicator is only valuable if you know the headwind component and consider the resulting airspeed. The Wright Bro's. did a lot of high wind flying in 1902 with gliders tethered to the ground like kites; Zero ground speed, but flying.
Don't get too caught up in ground speed, think about how fast the air is traveling over the wings.

Just a thought,

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: safety experiment Reply with quote

Roger- You hit the nail on the head. I was given to understand that the ASI would not work at lower air speeds (turns out mine didn't work at all), so the only frame of reference would be a comparable ground speed. This would apply only in a low or no wind condition. Would a Hall's ASI work for slow air speeds?

Bill Sullivan
[quote][b]

Dana

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: safety experiment Reply with quote

At 05:23 PM 8/11/2008, william sullivan wrote:
Quote:
Roger- You hit the nail on the head. I was given to understand that
the ASI would not work at lower air speeds (turns out mine didn't work at
all), so the only frame of reference would be a comparable ground
speed. This would apply only in a low or no wind condition. Would a
Hall's ASI work for slow air speeds?

It depends on the ASI, you should have no trouble finding one that reads
down to well below stall speed, which is all you really need. Mine (a
conventional round type) reads 20-80 mph, though the needle goes a bit
below the 20 mark. The Hall meters start at 7 mph, which means 10 mph is
probably a reasonable minimum indication.

Groundspeed is MEANINGLESS. Even if you know the surface wind speed, it'll
be different even at 25' of altitude. The only value of GPS speed is
estimating arrival time on cross countries, or as a sanity check (not an
accurate calibration!) of your ASI if the wind is steady.

-Dana
--
The missionaries go forth to Christianize the savages-- as if the savages
weren't dangerous enough already.

DAquaNut(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: safety experiment Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/11/2008 4:24:50 P.M. Central Daylight Time, williamtsullivan(at)att.net writes:
Quote:
Would a Hall's ASI work for slow air speeds?

BILL
I would trust the Halls over any other ASI. They just look a little out of place on a Kolb. I had one on my Firefly until I go a Winter ASI. I had a UMA ASI and it read about 20 mph off in spite of trying all the tricks J Hart had on His Web Site. The winter is expensive but accurate! I listened to John H. and I agree that Winter is the way to go !

Ed Diebel FF# 62 (in Hou.).

Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your budget? Read reviews on AOL Autos.
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: