Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VG Performance Video: Stalls, Slow Flight, Turns, Landing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JetPilot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: VG Performance Video: Stalls, Slow Flight, Turns, Landing Reply with quote

Here is a video of my Kolb MK III Xtra and its performance gain with VG's in Stalls, Slow Flight, Turns, and a 43 MPH flare to landing.

http://www.vimeo.com/1480667

We all know Kolbs fly very well without Vortex Generators on the wings, better than most planes in its class. But then again, if you put 39 dollar tires on a Ferrari, it would still drive very nicely, and still beat most other cars... But take the cheap tires off the Ferrari and put on performance tires and it becomes a totally different and better car in every way. You would not pay 200,000 dollars on a Ferrari and then put cheap tires on it would you ?

We fly Kolbs for their docile predictable flight qualities, their good slow speed handling, and short field capabilities. The Kolbs fly very well stock, but you do not realize the full potential of a Kolb until you put VG's on it. As you see in the video, the Kolb becomes a much more capable, much nicer flying airplane with VG's installed. Installing VG's is the best single thing you can do to improve your Kolb, and it only takes 100 bucks and several hours to do !!! Getting the most out of your Kolb is great, but the added safety is just Icing on the Cake here !!! VG's take 10 MPH off the touchdown speed of my Kolb... If you have an engine failure and are going to land in a Plowed field, or in trees, would you rather hit at 40 MPH, or 30 MPH, the safety difference is HUGE.

Once in a while we hear of a report where someone says they tried VG's, but that they did not work well... Look at the picture below to see how perfectly the VG's are installed on my Kolb. Like everything in aviation, the construction, size, shape, and installation of VG must be VERY PRECISE. If you screw up the installation, they might work, but not nearly as well as they should. If anyone is considering this, take your time doing the install as perfectly as humanly possible, it will be well worth the effort. You can get VG's at www.landshorter.com

Happy Flying and be safe,

Mike

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

UltralightKolbDetailVG02-18-2008-03.jpg
 Description:
VG Installation on my Kolb MK III Xtra
 Filesize:  269.82 KB
 Viewed:  375 Time(s)

UltralightKolbDetailVG02-18-2008-03.jpg

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Jim ODay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: VG Performance Video: Stalls, Slow Flight, Turns, Landi Reply with quote

Nice video you made.
I sold my Kolb recently and just found a set of LandShorter VG's that I had purchased last winter during the "Winter" VG debate. I never got around to installing them.

My $.02 on the VG's, I assume they enhance the performance on the Kolb, that is why I ordered them. The plane flew fine w/o but why not make it fly better. I have them on my Cessna 340 and would not fly it w/o them. I had a set of Micro VG put on Citabria I bought this summer and .... WOW

I still have been hanging out here watching you guys banter back and forth, seems everyone is dug in hard, but what else is new.

If anyone would like a deal on a set of LandShorter VG's, contact me off-list.

Fly Safe Kolbsters,

Jim

Jim O'Day - Fargo, ND
former FS II owner

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Dave Bigelow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: VG Performance Video: Stalls, Slow Flight, Turns, Landi Reply with quote

I see identical performance in my Firestar at 645 lb gross with Landshorter VG's installed as recommended. Wish I had done before and after videos, but didn't.

Besides the drop of 6-8 mph in stall speed, the thing I like best is that the plane flies rock solid with really good control right down to the break. Also, it floats much better in ground effect during landing flare.

Before VG's, stall was kind of indeterminate somewhere just below 40 mph. The plane was very sloppy and had pretty mushy control response below 40 mph. It flys OK without the VG's but much better with them. The only down side I can see is that it cruises 2-3 mph slower with the same power setting as before VG installation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: