Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CO in the cockpit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yakjock(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: CO in the cockpit Reply with quote

Doc,

Thanks for the information. I am aware of the dangers associated with CO and have spent too little time dealing with them.

I do use the cannulas and in the past thought them to be of some help but clearly they cannot offset the CO in the cockpit. Putting the exhaust extensions on kept the largest part of the bad stuff out of the cockpit during all stages of the flight. That combined with the O2 helped me to make the 9 hour flight to Kalispell from OSH and arrive much more clear headed and fresh (butt was still sore, and am working on that too).

The guys in Deer Valley that have gone to the side exhaust report clear cockpits even during smoke use and maneuvers. I would think that a side exhaust could work for the 50 quite well. TJ should be able to evaluate that as he is on site there.

In your system are you breathing pure O2 in the mask? If not, where do you get your regular air from to mix with the O2?

BTW, living in Oregon with lots of high ground around I wear the O2 for altitude as well. Trash air and altitude don't mix well! This last trip was a pleasure compared to the earlier ones.

Hal

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: CO in the cockpit Reply with quote

Batman,
I am using a Scuba Pro Stage One and Stage 2 regulator with a 3200 psi pony tank. The mouth piece is removed from the stage II and an military fabric wound O2 hose is zip tied to it for a secure fit. Then I use the standard Military Aviator’s O2 mask. With this system, I can use up to a 70:30 Nitrox mixture for altitude up to 12 K. I am looking into getting a 5000 PSI kevalar wrapped tank that holds 80 Cubic Feet of air.
My current field elevation is 190 ft. So I’m not plagued by the tall rocks like you guys up in Oregon. The above system ensures that I am breathing fresh air during the high CO times of the sortie. Otherwise, I drop the mask or loosen it up to breathe around it during flight at altitude.

Doc

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Hal
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 12:04 PM
To: Yak List
Subject: CO in the cockpit

Doc,

Thanks for the information. I am aware of the dangers associated with CO and have spent too little time dealing with them.

I do use the cannulas and in the past thought them to be of some help but clearly they cannot offset the CO in the cockpit. Putting the exhaust extensions on kept the largest part of the bad stuff out of the cockpit during all stages of the flight. That combined with the O2 helped me to make the 9 hour flight to Kalispell from OSH and arrive much more clear headed and fresh (butt was still sore, and am working on that too).

The guys in Deer Valley that have gone to the side exhaust report clear cockpits even during smoke use and maneuvers. I would think that a side exhaust could work for the 50 quite well. TJ should be able to evaluate that as he is on site there.

In your system are you breathing pure O2 in the mask? If not, where do you get your regular air from to mix with the O2?

BTW, living in Oregon with lots of high ground around I wear the O2 for altitude as well. Trash air and altitude don't mix well! This last trip was a pleasure compared to the earlier ones.

Hal

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: