Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rudder cable attachments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wb2ssj(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: rudder cable attachments Reply with quote

I have followed the directions in the manual and I find that cable can not rotate freely in all directions as the rudder goes side to side. The bracket also will bind and touch the fin depending how it rotates. The cable end being solid for the first few inches , it can rub on side of the bulkhead wall . Tex
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
selwyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: rudder cable attachments Reply with quote

Hi Tex,
Can all this happen with the cables properly tensioned?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

sales(at)billandruth.net

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: rudder cable attachments Reply with quote

Hi All,

I also was concerned about this due to bending and potential fatigue failure at the cable end associated with the attachment to the rudder. I did a lot of tweaking to ensure that the cables did not contact the aft bulkhead or any other structure. Since these holes where not installed at the factory I had to locate them myself and then cut them. At the time, I did not comprehend the nature of the rudder stops as well. I assumed that they would be like the ailerons and elevator, metal to metal stops that were built into the flight controls.

I finally resolved my concern over these "issues" by reviewing how much actual rudder movement would be encountered when taxiing and flying the aircraft. Since there is no direct nose wheel connection to the rudders and steering is done primarily by braking via free swivel of the nose wheel and rudder movement will rarely if ever be much greater than a few degrees in flight I decided that my concern was "much to do over nothing." It would be nice to clean this area up some but, I could not justify the effort involved to do so.

I hope this helps...............Bill with kit #49 in Tucson.

selwyn wrote:
[quote]
Quote:
--> Lightning-List message posted by: "selwyn" <selwyn(at)ellisworks.com.au> (selwyn(at)ellisworks.com.au)

Hi Tex,
Can all this happen with the cables properly tensioned?

--------
Cheers, Selwyn
Kit 66

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=199900#199900

[b]

Clive J

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: rudder cable attachments Reply with quote

There are a few things about the rudder set up that I think are
'opportunities for improvement' in the Esqual.

I had a 'reasonable' rudder travel based on what was available after
generally dressing up the rudder and the fin/tail and fitting the thing.
After I'd been taxiing a few times and thinking about recovering from
extremes I maximised the travel within the bounds of the structure and
got quite a lot more travel. My main concern was to be able to steer the
plane more effectively using the rudder. The brakes are all well and
good when they work but how about the day one has failed?, or landing on
wet grass?. Crosswind landing with engine out when you can give a burst
of power (I do good nightmares too).

As Bill says unlikely to need much when flying and on a 'normal day' but
why not have what's available?

What the extra travel did do was create more bending stress on the
rudder cable ends as has been mentioned and I've resolved to disconnect
them and loosen of the cable ends in the fixings so they can swing more
effectively and not stress the cable where it goes into the thimble.
That is to slim down the centring rubbers so they don't hold the cable
ends so tight. I don't know if the Lightning is similar but the cable
fixing on the rudder looks alike in the recent picture.

The other thing is the lack of travel stops, the paint will damage in
time where they bump together. I haven't figured that one out yet.

I'd be interested in what 'those that know' think about the travel
issue.

Regards, Clive

--

landonp(at)bigpond.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: rudder cable attachments Reply with quote

Hi Selwyn
I first built based on original system, but was not happy as what ever
position I set the bracket I could not prevent kink at end fitting.
Your statement has merit.

Regards

Bruce #31
---

N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: rudder cable attachments Reply with quote

Here are a few more thoughts on the rudder cable discussion:

-Modifying the cable to rudder attach points so that there is no "kinking" is a good idea, but the real important thing is to be sure the glass "pass through" holes are placed and shaped so that there is no chance for interference with the cable. I have seen some situations where the cable was able to catch on the edges of the glass and bind the rudder travel. Not good.

-It is important to be sure you can get complete rudder travel as designed, but I see no need to modify so that you can get even more. So far I have not run out of rudder travel when landing in all kinds of cross wind in Lightnings and Esquals - well over 500 hours. Both airplanes have enough rudder effectiveness to perform good slips as they are designed.

-From a maintenance perspective, you will probably need to re-tighten your rudder cables after about 6 months to a year of use. They cables seem to stretch a little and loosen up enough that you will have too much slack. I have noticed this on most of the Lightnings that I have flown. You will notice this need to re-tighten the cables if you are flying and can move the rudder pedals slightly without feeling any actual rudder input. On one airplane you could mode the rudder pedals more than an inch in either direction without feeling any real rudder travel. And don't forget to re-safety the turn buckles after adjusting the cable tension.

Blue Skies,
Buz

It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel deal here.
[quote][b]

Clive J

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: rudder cable attachments Reply with quote

Thanks Buz, the problem was with a lot of the Esqual instructions there
was no 'design' figure. No travel at the rearmost point or anything like
that and the tail flanged bits clashed with the bulge in the rudder.
Anyhow I'm sure I have plenty of travel now and I can fit some stops and
take some away without worrying.
Regards, Clive

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: