Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A question of horsepower...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  

80 horsepower or 100 hp?
80 hp
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
100 hp
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 3

pdknight

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: A question of horsepower... Reply with quote

I was just looking over the numbers on the Zenith webpage for performance with an 80hp powerplant versus a 100hp powerplant. Using their Rotax example, the 80 hp engine will give a "dual" takeoff roll of 115 ft. The 100 hp engine gives a takeoff of 90 ft. Therefore, 2000 extra bucks gets you a 25 ft shorter takeoff roll, and giving an extra 100 fpm climb.
Great Plains redrives 1915cc engine advertises 85 hp on takeoff and 65 in cruise, while the 2180 gives 105 on takeoff and 70 in cruise. The price difference is much closer than with the rotax engines, being 600 more for the 105 hp model. It gives 18 more hp on takeoff, but only 5 more in cruise. There is a question coming up somewhere in this rant.
From what I have heard, few people can match the factory performance estimates, even with the exact same engines. Real world wise, what are you all seeing from your aircraft, such as with an 80hp and 100hp? Obviously, 20 extra hp has its benefits, but 25 ft worth of benefit? Is the extra expenditure worth that few extra hp?
I ask only because I am trying to get my powerplant decision narrowed down soon, and my experience in general aviation and prop aircraft is somewhat limited. Thanks for the input.

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
graeme(at)coletoolcentre.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: A question of horsepower... Reply with quote

If you have the extra $2000 you will not go wrong with the 100hp
115ft dual with 80 HP would have to be at sea level on a cold day.
Ask yourself
do you fly in cold weather at sea level all the time
do you fly by your self
how heavy are you and your co passenger
repeating
If you have the extra $2000 you will not go wrong with the 100hp

Graemecns

---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jetboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: A question of horsepower... Reply with quote

a better way to ask this question is :

have you changed or wanted to change engines, with / from what type and why?

What you summised about the Rotax and corresponding VW choices is quite reasonable. Can't remember if it is Valley or Great Plains that have the water cooled / dual ignition option, but they state clearly its to provide an alternative to the Rotax. Of concern and you can read it in detail on one of those websites is the taper coupling used on some crankshafts, I tend to prefer the flywheel end drive for the more reliable connection.
Another issue is cooling, a 701 with 2180 VW and redrive burnt it up in under 40 hrs although that failure was put down as lean mixture and he's flying again. Another 701 here had a Corvair but replaced it with a Jabiru 2200 as the Corvair proved too heavy and thirsty for 2 up and cross country.

I have the Jabiru 2200, with a custom matched wood prop, and its a good balance for me. its not worth quoting figures, people pick on the smallest of discrepancies, basically what you get is the product of thrust minus penalty of weight. Using a redrive allows a large 2 blade prop for max efficiency, but poor air cooling (for the 701) and higher weight. Using a 2 stroke cuts the weight and reliability, in my direct experience. The direct drive Jabiru suffers due to practical limitation of 64" prop dia. for the rpm it turns, loosing 5% thrust efficiency, thats why a 582 powered 701 can climb just about the same.

While the claimed TO distances might appear the only difference, it matters not because the plane needs more distance to land in. Climb rate for me is the important factor, and of known available packages the Rotax 914 would be my first choice, going down in price I'd consider the Jabiru 3300 then perhaps the 80 hp 912, Jabiru 2200 or one of the VW variants (but pick a good one, not sure they are all equal)

The reason I passed on the most popular 912s is it has proved harsh operating in the 701, more stressed than the 80hp, besides if I needed the extra power I'd rather supercharge or turbo the cheaper 80hp.
I could not consider this option on a Jabiru or VW, they dont stay together for long enough on their own, This reliability / longevity factor is probably more a deciding factor.
As I have only 250 hrs on the Jabiru I cannot be certain of its future, it has not faltered in any way to date, I am well aware of many others (Rotax, VW and Jabiru) that have experienced a high 'no go' / stoppage rate.

Apologies if this answer got a bit long, just my thoughts which are constantly updating

Ralph

John Bolding

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: A question of horsepower... Reply with quote

Ralph, Last time I "talked" with John Lowther he was building up another
Vair to reinstall in his 701, are you aware if he completed that
installation or not ?

Thanks, John

Quote:

What youAnother 701 here had a Corvair but replaced it with a Jabiru 2200
as the Corvair proved too heavy and thirsty for 2 up and cross country.

Ralph

ricklach

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: A question of horsepower... Reply with quote

I fly the 100HP 912S and it’s wonderful. I live at 6500FT with an 800FT strip and 70FT pine trees all around. More than once I believe the extra power has not only saved me but givens me that very comfortable margin of safety. If you fly into and out of long strips never go around mountains or fly at gross weight the lower horsepower is great. But for my kind of flying the extra power is wonderful. You can never have enough of a safety margin.

I also like Chris Desmond’s video “Canyon Flying” where he dose a power on stall and has “0” air speed and is still showing a vertical clime.

Rick

ronlee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: A question of horsepower... Reply with quote

I live and fly at altitude of 3500 feet with temps. of 100+ degrees at times. Our normal flying height is around five to six thousand feet. I have a 912uls in my 701 and can honestly say I would not be happy with any less power or torque at the prop. I have never had an overheating coolant or oil problem. I can sincerely say that I can't think of one Jabiru installation in any plane that has not been plagued by high head temps. especially on take off. Other then that they seem to be fine. About the only thing that I don't like about the 912uls is having to use high octane auto fuel or 100LL. It can be hard to find a station that sell lots of premium and that is necessary as Rotax wants fresh gas used. I usually buy my gas in an area where there are alot of high end cars as they require premium fuel and I feel I have a better chance of getting fresh fuel at at those stations. Could I get by with the 80HP? yes but it would not be as much fun. Can one ever have too much power?
Ron Lee
Tucson, AZ

n801bh(at)netzero.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: A question of horsepower... Reply with quote

Yup... My 801 has TOO much power. It has only tried to kill me once because of it and I won't try that trick again, The details are................. I tried a full flaps, stick all the way back, brakes locked take off at minimum weight. Plane rolled about 80 feet, rotated and climbed in a flat attitude, airspeed indicator was even showing anything so it was less then 20 mph. Got to about 50 feet agl and the thing decided to roll inverted. The flaperons were not effective because of the slow air speed passing over them but the big prop and all the extra HPhad a tremendous torque roll happening. I reduced power, stepped on the rudder and pushed the nose over all in about 1/2 second. Another second or two and I would have crashed. This puts a new meaning to getting on the "front" side of the power curve.... Never again will I try to get it in the air till I see at at least 30 mph on the ASI.

do not archive
Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

-- "ronlee" <rlee468(at)comcast.net> wrote:
--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: "ronlee" <rlee468(at)comcast.net>

I live and fly at altitude of 3500 feet with temps. of 100+ degrees at times. Our normal flying height is around five to six thousand feet. I have a 912uls in my 701 and can honestly say I would not be happy with any less power or torque at the prop. I have never had an overheating coolant or oil problem. I can sincerely say that I can't think of one Jabiru installation in any plane that has not been plagued by high head temps. especially on take off. Other then that they seem to be fine. About the only thing that I don't like about the 912uls is having to use high octane auto fuel or 100LL. It can be hard to find a station that sell lots of premium and that is necessary as Rotax wants fresh gas used. I usually buy my gas in an area where there are alot of high end cars as they require premium fuel and I feel I have a better chance of getting fresh fuel at at those stations. Could I get by with the 80HP? yes but it would not be as much fun. Can one ever have too much power?
Ron Lee
Tucson, AZ

--------
Ron Lee
Tucson, Arizona

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopi================================================ --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List========================bsp; - MATRON================================================; - List Contribution Web Site sp; &nb===================================================

jetboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: A question of horsepower... Reply with quote

answer to John Bolding:
I contacted John Lowther when I got my custom prop made for the 2200, same type that he used, late last yr. Athough the Corvair made a very impressive photo during ground tests, (might appear on the ZAC site?) he soon found its only attribute was climbing at over 1000 fpm. He sold the engine although I thought he was getting another for someone else or a different plane, not a 701 installation. He also said the 701 started life with an HKS (never flew) then Corvair now 2200a

Ralph

pdknight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A question of horsepower... Reply with quote

Thanks for all the constructive responses. One of my biggest issues is that of the financial variety when it comes to engine choices. I have been giving a lot of attention to the VW redrives. The issue of longevity and reliability is a concern, for sure. Great Plains is not the best when it comes to responding to emails concerning their products, which, I have to admit, had been a bit of a turn off from the company. Culver is making a redrive, but it has only recently been released, and I don't think a lot of them are flying. GP has been around for quite some time and has a lot of engines out. Does this speak for the "reliability" of the engines, or are the customers willing to accept the degraded longevity and reliability, or expect it from a redrive?

John Bolding

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: A question of horsepower... Reply with quote

Don't know what you mean by "recently" but the Valley Engineering (Culver)
has been sold for a number of years and has a good reputation, they ALSO
make the redrive that Great Plains sells , or it was the last time I looked.
Cooling, at continued high power settings, will always be a problem on the
VW however.
John
---

ggower_99(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: A question of horsepower... Reply with quote

Ben, Just imagine that myself, makes me cold sweat! Good you made it...

Like one time in my old V8 Pickup when a teen, once I floored the gas in a corner downtown. Missed 3 cars, a light post, one pedestian and a news stand for inches, before I could regain control and stop...

Saludos
Gary Gower
Do not archive.

--- On Fri, 9/5/08, n801bh(at)netzero.com <n801bh(at)netzero.com> wrote:

Quote:
Subject: Re: Re: A question of horsepower...
To: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Friday, September 5, 2008, 2:20 PM

Yup... My 801 has TOO much power. It has only tried to kill me once because of it and I won't try that trick again, The details are.................. I tried a full flaps, stick all the way back, brakes locked take off at minimum weight. Plane rolled about 80 feet, rotated and climbed in a flat attitude, airspeed indicator was even showing anything so it was less then 20 mph. Got to about 50 feet agl and the thing decided to roll inverted. The flaperons were not effective because of the slow air speed passing over them but the big prop and all the extra HPhad a tremendous torque roll happening. I reduced power, stepped on the rudder and pushed the nose over all in about 1/2 second. Another second or two and I would have crashed. This puts a new meaning to getting on the "front" side of the power curve.... Never again will I try to get it in the air till I see at at least 30 mph on the ASI.

do not archive
Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

-- "ronlee" <rlee468(at)comcast.net> wrote:
--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: "ronlee" <rlee468(at)comcast.net>

Ron Lee
Tucson, AZ

--------
Ron Lee
Tucson, Arizona

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopi================================================ --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List========================bsp; - MATRON================================================; - List Contribution Web Site sp; &nb===================================================

[quote][b]

n85ae

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: A question of horsepower... Reply with quote

I never saw any responses to Ben's post, but I for one paid attention.
My Kitfox with it's 125 hp Continental is as tame as they get for example
in a power off stall, but power on with it's high lift wing and flaperon's
it will fly at insane nose high attitudes before violently snapping into
a wing dropping stall.

Ben's post is thought provoking because high power engines with high
lift wings make you feel pretty invincible when you fly them, but they
can get you into flight regime's that produce pretty unexpected results
when things don't do what you expect.

Thanks for the post Ben.

Jeff
Quote:
Yup... My 801 has TOO much power. It has only tried to kill me once because of it and I won't try that trick again, The details are................. I tried a full flaps, stick all the way back, brakes locked take off at minimum weight. Plane rolled about 80 feet, rotated and climbed in a flat attitude, airspeed indicator was even showing anything so it was less then 20 mph. Got to about 50 feet agl and the thing decided to roll inverted. The flaperons were not effective because of the slow air speed passing over them but the big prop and all the extra HPhad a tremendous torque roll happening. I reduced power, stepped on the rudder and pushed the nose over all in about 1/2 second. Another second or two and I would have crashed. This puts a new meaning to getting on the "front" side of the power curve.... Never again will I try to get it in the air till I see at at least 30 mph on the ASI.

vgstol(at)bigpond.net.au

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: A question of horsepower... Reply with quote

Really good cautions from both Jeff and Ben.

"....high power engines with high lift wings make you feel pretty invincible when you fly them...."
and
"...This puts a new meaning to getting on the "front" side of the power curve...."

I know of a couple of 701's that have been considerably 'crunched' on take-off by this 'torque roll' reaction .
An analysis of one such incident in a Savannah is at http://www.stolspeed.com/id/31

Yes, we feel invincible in these aircraft, but some caution is needed with such high power at very low airspeed. When it goes wrong it happens real quick, with little chance to recover....

JG

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: