Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

After 5 hours flight time, questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobkat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: After 5 hours flight time, questions Reply with quote

1) Just wondering what kind of indicated airspeed everyone is getting. I',m only getting about 70mph with a Rotax 912 ULS woodcomp prop at about 5400 rpm's. Is this normal or is my airspeed indicator off? Haven't had a chance to check it yet.
2) With slow flight and apporach to landing something clatters and bangs back in the fuselge, presumably oil canning. Normal? I checked everything else and nothing is loose.
3) Yesterday my engine faltered under full throttle and climb out and immediately got better when throttled back. On my Dynon monitor a Low Fuel Pressure warning popped up and it showed only about 1.9 to 2 psi, yet fuel flow was 5 gallons per hour. I returned home and checked the fuel flow and there is plenty of unobstructed flow as far as the front of the firewall anyway. I have a gascolater in front of the firewall that I'll check and clean today. The fuel pressure and fuel flow senders spliced into the line shouldn't obstruct the flow. On the ground at idle it is about 3 - 3.5 psi. Any ideas? It seems to run itself out of gas past about 5400rpm!?!
4) I was just getting used to the pitch sensitivity of the elevator and recieved the VG's from JG (in only a week! Send them via SST or SR-71?) Put them on the elevator and wow!! Almost too much sensitivity! It throws itself into the air and I found I have to be ready for it.
Still in the learning curve of flying it, so haven't really done much testing of things yet. Mainly getting it up and down comfortably at this point.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
cscsail(at)gmavt.net

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: After 5 hours flight time, questions Reply with quote

I have the same engine and prop and cruise at 4400 rpm (nice and quiet and low fuel burn) and show about 78mph + or minus depending on gross weight, turbulence and if I'm paying attention. This is on my Dynon and conventional ASI, both are within a MPH of each other.
I get the same clatter in slow flight. In my case it's the back of the baggage compartment that starts oil canning and banging at about 50mph.
Can't comment on the fuel issues -- I haven't had any.
Gordon
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

bobkat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: After 5 hours flight time, questions Reply with quote

Wow, you must have your prop adjusted pretty coarse. Mine's probably too far the other way.
I checked and was able to oil can the back of the baggage compartment and also the belly hatch. Maybe an L angle stiffener added here will "can" the noise!
Thanks for the suggestions.
[quote] ---

cscsail(at)gmavt.net

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: After 5 hours flight time, questions Reply with quote

I set the prop according to the woodcomp instructions. 5450 static rpm --- it leaps off the ground in a very short distance.
[quote] ---

bobkat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: After 5 hours flight time, questions Reply with quote

That's what I set mine! Wonder where my speed is gong? Eyeballing outside I thought I was going about the same speed as my Kitfox. Is there a setting on the Dynon? If all else fails I'll have to read the directions. Ha!
Thanks
[quote] ---

ggower_99(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: After 5 hours flight time, questions Reply with quote

Probably other 701 pilots have noticed this:

Keep the oil canning, is a cheap and "automatic" built in Stall and Slip "alarm" in the 701, is a free bonus from ZAC no other airplane has that makes it extra safe....

Try to keep the ball centered always when flying and the low speed betwen 50 and 60 mph (with or without 15° of flaps) when doing your approach and the "alarm" will not sound.
When I flair to land I can lower the speed a lot more, but I have not noticed any alarm, probably I am too focused in my landing to hear it.  Smile

Also I have noticed that keeping the ball centered I have an extra Bonus: About more than 5 mph increase in cruise speed over the "alarm" speed... Wink

As my Instructor told me always in my student hours:  "keep the ball centered" also a favorite from him was:  I want 60, NOT 59 or 61 only 60" If I had recieve my instruction in the 701 he might only say: "Keep that oil canning off" Smile Smile

Just my personal experience.

About the post also, I have my pitch set for 87 mph at 5,000 rpm cruise (normally over 6,500 + ft ASL)
moved the pitch a little at a time until got it set, cant remember the final degress of pitch, but was a little (like a milimeter) at a time. .

Saludos
Gary Gower
Flying from Chapala, Mexico
701 912S 200 + hrs.
Building a 601 XL Jab 3300.
"Hope will also have the "alarm" built in..."

--- On Wed, 9/17/08, BokKat <bobkat(at)btinet.net> wrote:

[quote]From: BokKat <bobkat(at)btinet.net>
Subject: Re: After 5 hours flight time, questions
To: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Wednesday, September 17, 2008, 12:02 PM

Wow, you must have your prop adjusted pretty coarse. Mine's probably too far the other way.
I checked and was able to oil can the back of the baggage compartment and also the belly hatch. Maybe an L angle stiffener added here will "can" the noise!
Thanks for the suggestions.
[quote] ---

lgold(at)quantum-associat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: After 5 hours flight time, questions Reply with quote

BokKat,
I also have 100-hp 912ULS engine but have a 3-blade Warpdrive prop. I set the pitch several times and found that if I let the static (tied-down) RPM go to 5400, I get bad fuel economy and slower cruise that at 5100 (a higher pitch). With this setting, at about 4900-RPM, I get better than 5-GPH and cruise at about 79-MPH under near standard conditions at 1000'. I can fly as low as 4000-RPM and get about 3-GPH. I suggest you increase your prop pitch and see how this impacts your speed and fuel flow.
Regarding your fuel flow problem; since you plane is new its very possible your fuel filter has some construction junk in it that constricts your fuel flow only at peak draw. If so, this should be easy to fix. Also check to see if crud got into your gascolator gas. If the filters and gascolator are clean, you may also need to check the carb jets and float bowls for crud. Another possibility is that the holes you drilled in your gas caps are too small or not properly placed.
I hope this helps,
Les

[quote] From: owner-zenith701801-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith701801-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of BokKat
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 5:34 AM
Subject: After 5 hours flight time, questions

1) Just wondering what kind of indicated airspeed everyone is getting. I',m only getting about 70mph with a Rotax 912 ULS woodcomp prop at about 5400 rpm's. Is this normal or is my airspeed indicator off? Haven't had a chance to check it yet.
2) With slow flight and apporach to landing something clatters and bangs back in the fuselge, presumably oil canning. Normal? I checked everything else and nothing is loose.
3) Yesterday my engine faltered under full throttle and climb out and immediately got better when throttled back. On my Dynon monitor a Low Fuel Pressure warning popped up and it showed only about 1.9 to 2 psi, yet fuel flow was 5 gallons per hour. I returned home and checked the fuel flow and there is plenty of unobstructed flow as far as the front of the firewall anyway. I have a gascolater in front of the firewall that I'll check and clean today. The fuel pressure and fuel flow senders spliced into the line shouldn't obstruct the flow. On the ground at idle it is about 3 - 3.5 psi. Any ideas? It seems to run itself out of gas past about 5400rpm!?!
4) I was just getting used to the pitch sensitivity of the elevator and recieved the VG's from JG (in only a week! Send them via SST or SR-71?) Put them on the elevator and wow!! Almost too much sensitivity! It throws itself into the air and I found I have to be ready for it.
Still in the learning curve of flying it, so haven't really done much testing of things yet. Mainly getting it up and down comfortably at this point.
Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

dwilde(at)clearwire.net

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: After 5 hours flight time, questions Reply with quote

BokKat wrote:
Quote:
1) Just wondering what kind of indicated airspeed everyone is
getting. I',m only getting about 70mph with a Rotax 912 ULS woodcomp
prop at about 5400 rpm's. Is this normal or is my airspeed indicator
off? Haven't had a chance to check it yet.
2) With slow flight and apporach to landing something clatters and
bangs back in the fuselge, presumably oil canning. Normal? I checked
everything else and nothing is loose.
3) Yesterday my engine faltered under full throttle and climb out and
immediately got better when throttled back. On my Dynon monitor a Low
Fuel Pressure warning popped up and it showed only about 1.9 to 2 psi,
yet fuel flow was 5 gallons per hour. I returned home and checked the
fuel flow and there is plenty of unobstructed flow as far as the front
of the firewall anyway. I have a gascolater in front of the firewall
that I'll check and clean today. The fuel pressure and fuel flow
senders spliced into the line shouldn't obstruct the flow. On the
ground at idle it is about 3 - 3.5 psi. Any ideas? It seems to run
itself out of gas past about 5400rpm!?!
4) I was just getting used to the pitch sensitivity of the elevator
and recieved the VG's from JG (in only a week! Send them via SST or
SR-71?) Put them on the elevator and wow!! Almost too much
sensitivity! It throws itself into the air and I found I have to be
ready for it.
Still in the learning curve of flying it, so haven't really done much
testing of things yet. Mainly getting it up and down comfortably at
this point.

1) I am getting 80 mph at 4700 rpm with 912S and three bladed Warp Drive

prop at 12 degrees pitch in straight and level flight.
2) I do not get a clatter but I do get a rumble at all speeds.
3) I have not had any faltering of the engine at any time even though
my water temps have been running on the high side of normal.
4) The VG's are helpful. The are worth the cost.

Dan Wilde N948DW

craig(at)craigandjean.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: After 5 hours flight time, questions Reply with quote

[quote]With the Woodcomp 3 bladed composite prop where and how are people measuring the pitch angle? I have the Woodcomp prop and a Warp Drive protractor. -- Craig [b]

larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: After 5 hours flight time, questions Reply with quote

You should put the Warp Drive Protractor at the very tip of the blade,
Craig.

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com

Craig Payne wrote:
Quote:
*With the Woodcomp 3 bladed composite prop where and how are people measuring the pitch angle? I have the Woodcomp prop and a Warp Drive protractor.*
*-- Craig*

cscsail(at)gmavt.net

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: After 5 hours flight time, questions Reply with quote

Good point Gary. If the Dynon (in Bokkat's case) was not set up properly with the ball centered when the plane is level he could be loosing a lot of speed by pushing the plane along sideways.
G
[quote] ---

NYTerminat(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: After 5 hours flight time, questions Reply with quote

2" in from the tip of the prop. I used the line between the red tips and the black prop.
Bob Spudis

In a message dated 9/17/2008 5:17:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, craig(at)craigandjean.com writes:
Quote:
Quote:
With the Woodcomp 3 bladed composite prop where and how are people measuring the pitch angle? I have the Woodcomp prop and a Warp Drive protractor. -- Craig

Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.
[quote][b]

craig(at)craigandjean.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: After 5 hours flight time, questions Reply with quote

Thanks, any advice on an initial angle?

-- Craig

From: owner-zenith701801-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith701801-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of NYTerminat(at)aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 7:23 PM

2" in from the tip of the prop. I used the line between the red tips and the black prop.

Bob Spudis

In a message dated 9/17/2008 5:17:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, craig(at)craigandjean.com writes:
Quote:
Quote:
With the Woodcomp 3 bladed composite prop where and how are people measuring the pitch angle? I have the Woodcomp prop and a Warp Drive protractor. -- Craig

Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
-- Craig
Quote:
-- Craig
Quote:
-- Craig
[quote][b]

NYTerminat(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: After 5 hours flight time, questions Reply with quote

The Woodcomp manual says 11- 12 degrees, I ended up at a little over 13 degrees. I would start at 13 and see what your static RPM is. You should be at least 5400 static.

Bob

In a message dated 9/17/2008 9:31:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, craig(at)craigandjean.com writes:
Quote:

Thanks, any advice on an initial angle?

-- Craig

From: owner-zenith701801-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith701801-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of NYTerminat(at)aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 7:23 PM

Bob Spudis

[quote][b]

mwpicard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: After 5 hours flight time, questions Reply with quote

At about 20 hours on the hobbs, my 701 with Rotax 912 ULS also exhibited partial fuel flow and I had a number of forced landings before we finally found the problem. It turned out to be a piece of rubber hose debris in the fuel supply line installed by ROTAX at the factory. So two cylinders were not getting fuel when the throttle was fully open and the rubber debris happened to oclude the small opening on the inlet side of the motor.

I recommend you disassemble all the factory installed fuel lines and blow them out to make sure they are 100% clean. I am surprised this could get through the Rotax quality control. It definitely could be a killer. If you need more info contact Doug at Quality Sport Planes as he found the problem.

Regarding the oil canning luggage compartment bulkhead. I would really like to cut a large retangular window in it and install a pane of latex with bolts all around. I would like to see all the way back into the plane. Everyone so far has strongly disadvised it saying that it could weaken the plane. I can´t see how that flimsy oil canning bulkhead could be so structural....anyone?
thanks,
Martin Picard
701 en route to Australia (on a ship)

lgold(at)quantum-associat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: After 5 hours flight time, questions Reply with quote

Martin,
Glad you found the fuel starvation problem. My take on the bulkhead hole is
that you could probably do it, possibly hinging a door, but why not put some
reinforcement in the bulkhead first? I put a BRS chute on this bulkhead. I
needed to strengthen it first and could show you how I did it. Write
directly to me if you want a picture of what I did.
Les

[quote] --

mwpicard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: After 5 hours flight time, questions Reply with quote

Les,
thanks for your reply and encouragement. I can´t seem to figure out how to email you directly. Maybe you can message me directly or give me a tip on how to contact you to get the info on the bulkhead mods.
thanks
martin

royjp(at)yahoo.ca

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: After 5 hours flight time, questions Reply with quote

Les, why not share it with the gang ?

Jean-Paul Roy

--- En date de : Sam, 20.9.08, Les Goldner <lgold(at)quantum-associates.com> a Ă©crit :
[quote]De: Les Goldner <lgold(at)quantum-associates.com>
Objet: RE: Re: After 5 hours flight time, questions
Ă€: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com
Date: samedi 20 Septembre 2008, 0 h 06

[quote]--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: "Les Goldner" <lgold(at)quantum-associates.com> Martin, Glad you found the fuel starvation problem. My take on the bulkhead hole is that you could probably do it, possibly hinging a door, but why not put some reinforcement in the bulkhead first? I put a BRS chute on this bulkhead. I needed to strengthen it first and could show you how I did it. Write directly to me if you want a picture of what I did. Les > --

lrm(at)skyhawg.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: After 5 hours flight time, questions Reply with quote

Martin, use 1/8" lexan instead of plexaglass or any other plastic. Lexan is extremely strong, somewhat flexible, and even bullet proof depending on thickness. Use double sided automotive tape to attach it with nuts and bolts in the four corners. Plexaglass is brittle, will break and has no give. I think you will be actually gaining strength with lexan, however, it is a little heavier.

Take care, Larry N1345L

PS, glad you like the belly pod.

mwpicard wrote: [quote]
Quote:
--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: "mwpicard" <mwpicard(at)gmail.com> (mwpicard(at)gmail.com)

At about 20 hours on the hobbs, my 701 with Rotax 912 ULS also exhibited partial fuel flow and I had a number of forced landings before we finally found the problem. It turned out to be a piece of rubber hose debris in the fuel supply line installed by ROTAX at the factory. So two cylinders were not getting fuel when the throttle was fully open and the rubber debris happened to oclude the small opening on the inlet side of the motor.

I recommend you disassemble all the factory installed fuel lines and blow them out to make sure they are 100% clean. I am surprised this could get through the Rotax quality control. It definitely could be a killer. If you need more info contact Doug at Quality Sport Planes as he found the problem.

Regarding the oil canning luggage compartment bulkhead. I would really like to cut a large retangular window in it and install a pane of latex with bolts all around. I would like to see all the way back into the plane. Everyone so far has strongly disadvised it saying that it could weaken the plane. I can´t see how that flimsy oil canning bulkhead could be so structural....anyone?
thanks,
Martin Picard
701 en route to Australia (on a ship)

Read this topic online here:

[url=http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 5212#205212]http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 5212#205212[/url]

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com

[b]

mwpicard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: After 5 hours flight time, questions Reply with quote

Larry,
thanks for your reply and for all the ideas you shared with me that made my 701 better. The pod is great see:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mwpicard/PicardZenithCH701#

You made it really well and even fitted it to your plane so that it went on mine without and changes. thanks! I haven´t actually put anything in it yet but I have flown around with it on heaps. You lose about 3mph at cruise speed but don´t seem to lose any ¨STOLness¨. I hope others know that you are selling these because they are definitely worth it - great additions to the plane for long trips.

cheers,
Martin
N69999

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: