Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

harvested peanut field for a landing strip?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: harvested peanut field for a landing strip? Reply with quote

Today the farmer picked the peanuts in the field surrounding my house so now I have a big 30ish acre field with 1200 to 1800 feet of length in any direction. Since the crop has been picked the field is smooth with rows of peanut hay however its real dry and dusty. I am sure many of you are familiar with peanut fields and how dusty things are during harvest.

I would like to use it as my airstrip until the guy plows it in which will be a while probably 4 to 5 months however i am a bit concerned about the dusty conditions damaging my prop and sand blasting the tail section. Do any of you fly from fields like this?

Should i be concerned with the dirt the prop is going to kick up? It would be so convenient to roll my plane out of the trailer and takeoff from my backyard.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
cristalclear13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: harvested peanut field for a landing strip? Reply with quote

I don't know how many people ARE actually familiar with peanut fields on the forum. Not many from GA. Mostly pine trees and swamp where I live. Sounds like you might be having to do a lot of cleaning up if you fly in and out of there. Have you got a four-wheeler so you can drive on it and see how soft it is? Wouldn't want to get bogged down in the S. GA. sand (or red clay or whatever you have in your area).

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ELSA Repairman for N193Y April 2008
Rotax 2 stroke maintenance April 2009
jb92563

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: harvested peanut field for a landing strip? Reply with quote

I fly from a dirt strip, not with a Kolb however.

The plane will get dirty and you best not have any grease or other sticky substance on your hinges, rod ends, pulleys or other moving parts(Tail wheel) as the sand/dust will stick in it and wear your parts due to vibration, control actuation etc.

Just use a dry lubricant such as graphite or silicone.

If its an UltraStar your prop is going to get chewed up as well so Leading Edge tape would be useful.

I don't think your tail surfaces will suffer except for getting dirty, so a good dusting of the tail after flying would be a good idea.

Make sure the the surfaces are dry if you are taking an early morning "dew" flight otherwise you will have a mess to clean up off your tail when the dirt mixes with the dew and "adheres" to you tail.

Kolb UltraStar (Cuyuna UL-202)
Moni MotorGlider
Schreder HP-11 Glider
Grob 109 Motorglider

Do Not Archive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: