Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcjon77

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I was planing on building a 701 after my Sonex is completed (probably a good year and a half away). The engine I was planing on putting in it is the 2300cc VW with Redrive from Great Plains/Valley Engineering. it pumps out 105 hp and swings a pretty big prop. I have heard many good reports from this combination. I was planing on increasing the gross to 1200 lbs to give me close to 600 lbs useful load. (not the best idea going over recommended gross, but many have done it with the 701 successfully).

Here is the thing. I'm a big guy and while I fit in the 701, the 750 has MUCH more room. So that got me thinking of going with the 750/Corvair combination. Simple enough, but the useful load drops to 545 (if I am lucky and build light). So that got me thinking ab out using the same GPAS/Valley Engineering redrive combo for the 750, since it pumps out more than the 100 hp of the Continental. It seems to be a pretty decent direct replacement for the 912ULS (like the Corvair is for the 0-200). I figure that I would get at least 40 lbs useful load from it. I am not concerned if my cruise drops a little, if I want to go fast I will use the sonex.

What do you guys think? Would love to hear opinions on this matter.

Jon

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Joe Kidd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices? Reply with quote

I¢d reconsider using the 2300 VW w/Redrive package you¢ve mentioned due to cylinder head temp and service life issues. The 105 HP you¢ve mentioned is at take off only, you then drop back to a significantly less HP level at cruise. Using added power to climb or maintain a higher cruise speed or when at or near GW will result in a significant thermal heat transfer to the cylinder heads that they are not designed to carry. This of course will shorten TBO or more to the point require you to replace cylinder heads very rapidly.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
While I think this engine package is a doable one in the 701 as long as you know how to take care of it I don¢t think it¢s a viable package for the 750. I¢d be more inclined to use a Corvair, C-90 or 0200 in either of these aircraft instead of the 2300 VW w/Redrive. Hope I haven¢t offended you, just my .02 worth after a lot of research. FWIW I am a tremendous fan and advocate of the 2180 and 2300 VW aircraft engines and plan on using a 2180 on a build.
Joe S.

Do not archive please

To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 6:58:41 PM
Subject: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices?

--> Zenith-List message posted by: "mcjon77" <mcjon77(at)yahoo.com (mcjon77(at)yahoo.com)>

Hi guys,

I was planing on building a 701 after my Sonex is completed (probably a good year and a half away). The engine I was planing on putting in it is the 2300cc VW with Redrive from Great Plains/Valley Engineering. it pumps out 105 hp and swings a pretty big prop. I have heard many good reports from this combination. I was planing on increasing the gross to 1200 lbs to give me close to 600 lbs useful load. (not the best idea going over recommended gross, but many have done it with the 701 successfully).

Here is the thing.  I'm a big guy and while I fit in the 701, the 750 has MUCH more room.  So that got me thinking of going with the 750/Corvair combination.  Simple enough, but the useful load drops to 545 (if I am lucky and build light). So that got me thinking ab out using the same GPAS/Valley Engineering redrive combo for the 750, since it pumps out more than the 100 hp of the Continental. It seems to be a pretty decent direct replacement for the 912ULS (like the Corvair is for the 0-200). I figure that I would get at least 40 lbs useful load from it. I am not concerned if my cruise drops a little, if I want to go fast I will use the sonex.

Jon

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=20igator?Zenith-List" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zeni="http://forums.matronics.com/" = &n-> htt

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

hills(at)sunflower.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices? Reply with quote

Jon;

Ya, Joes right, I have trouble just cooling a 2180 cc engine, the 105HP is only available for a few minutes. But…..
Why not use the Great Plains 2300 CC VW engine with aluminum cylinders? It puts out 85 HP and weighs a lot less than a corvair engine (about 60 pounds) and you can
get true duel ignition system (not available on corvairs). 

Roger

From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Joe Stevenson
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 8:46 PM
Subject: Re: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices?

I¢d reconsider using the 2300 VW w/Redrive package you¢ve mentioned due to cylinder head temp and service life issues. The 105 HP you¢ve mentioned is at take off only, you then drop back to a significantly less HP level at cruise. Using added power to climb or maintain a higher cruise speed or when at or near GW will result in a significant thermal heat transfer to the cylinder heads that they are not designed to carry. This of course will shorten TBO or more to the point require you to replace cylinder heads very rapidly.

While I think this engine package is a doable one in the 701 as long as you know how to take care of it I don¢t think it¢s a viable package for the 750. I¢d be more inclined to use a Corvair, C-90 or 0200 in either of these aircraft instead of the 2300 VW w/Redrive. Hope I haven¢t offended you, just my .02 worth after a lot of research. FWIW I am a tremendous fan and advocate of the 2180 and 2300 VW aircraft engines and plan on using a 2180 on a build.
Joe S.

Do not archive please

Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 6:58:41 PM
Subject: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices?

--> Zenith-List message posted by: "mcjon77" <mcjon77(at)yahoo.com (mcjon77(at)yahoo.com)>

Hi guys,

Here is the thing. I'm a big guy and while I fit in the 701, the 750 has MUCH more room. So that got me thinking of going with the 750/Corvair combination. Simple enough, but the useful load drops to 545 (if I am lucky and build light). So that got me thinking ab out using the same GPAS/Valley Engineering redrive combo for the 750, since it pumps out more than the 100 hp of the Continental. It seems to be a pretty decent direct replacement for the 912ULS (like the Corvair is for the 0-200). I figure that I would get at least 40 lbs useful load from it. I am not concerned if my cruise drops a little, if I want to go fast I will use the sonex.

Jon

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=20igator?Zenith-List" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zeni="http://forums.matronics.com/" = &n-> htt

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

mcjon77

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices? Reply with quote

Great info guys. Roger, you have a 2180/Valley Engineering Redrive? What type of aircraft do you have it in? Can you give more detail about your experience?

The only problem with a direct drive 2300cc vw from great plains is the prop length. With its high RPM, I doubt I will be able to swing a big enough prop on that engine to take advantage of the CH701's STOL capabilities. I plan on using a 2180cc on my sonex and I was hoping to use another VW in the 701.

hills(at)sunflower.com wrote:
Jon;

Ya, Joes right, I have trouble just cooling a 2180 cc engine, the 105HP is only available for a few minutes. But…..
Why not use the Great Plains 2300 CC VW engine with aluminum cylinders? It puts out 85 HP and weighs a lot less than a corvair engine (about 60 pounds) and you can
get true duel ignition system (not available on corvairs).�

Roger

hills(at)sunflower.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices? Reply with quote

Jon;
Na, I have a water cooled Great plains VW now, it's 100 HP but the heads
are no longer made, so that options off the board for you. I got my redrive data from Great plains VW, they sell the redrives, but warn against continues use at high power, thus the 5 minutes estimate (from there literature). There just is not enough cooling fin area on the engine to
get rid of the waste heat generated about 80 HP, without water cooling anyway.

The 701's gross weight does not justify an engine over 65 HP really, any
more than that is just an increase in climb, and a bit more cruise speed,
unless you plan to put it on floats of course.

A little HP is good, but a lot is not necessarily very good.

Roger

--

mcjon77

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices? Reply with quote

This really is fascinating. I never noticed it before, but the continuous hp of the 2300 redrive is the same as the 2300 direct drive. So, basically, the redrive at best gives a quick 20-25hp boost for a few minutes, but after that I am flying with the same hp that I would have with a direct drive engine of the same size, I am just able to swing a bigger prop.

So Joe, when you warned about using the max hp for redrive VW at gross continuously (how I would wind up burning through cylinder heads quickly) it is really no different than running the 2180cc direct drive VW that I plan on putting in my sonex at the same abnormally high hp. It will cause additional stress on the engine and create early wear. I always wondered how a redrive could just magically create additional hp, seemed like getting something for nothing, now I (hopefully) have a better understanding.

Roger, I agree about not needing more than 65hp. IIRC, for several years the factory demo CH701 was run on a 2 stroke rotax 582 and did just fine. The redrive may still be a good option if only by letting me use a larger prop. Both the 701 and my future aerovee (2180 VW)powered sonex have the same gross, so there shouldn't be much of a problem staying in the air with only 70hp continuous. good info. It definitely answers some questions.

Jon

bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices? Reply with quote

The maximum continuous power an engine can deliver depends on the
engine itself and its cooling system, the presence or absence of a
redrive is irrelevant. Whether or not it can actually be operated at
that power level MAY depend on whether or not it has a redrive.

A redrive doesn't allow any engine to produce more power at a
particular RPM and torque, but you may not be able to operate a direct
drive engine at a that RPM because the propeller would have to be too
small to be practical. A redrive may allow you to use more of the
engine's available power by running it at the higher RPM while turning
a suitable prop at a lower RPM. Or a redrive can allow you to use a
larger, more efficient prop at the same engine RPM and thereby get
more thrust at the same power setting.

The main effect of a redrive is to give you more thrust, not more
power; and thrust is, ultimately, what drives the airplane through the
air.

On Oct 22, 2008, at 4:29 AM, mcjon77 wrote:

Quote:

This really is fascinating. I never noticed it before, but the
continuous hp of the 2300 redrive is the same as the 2300 direct
drive. So, basically, the redrive at best gives a quick 20-25hp
boost for a few minutes, but after that I am flying with the same hp
that I would have with a direct drive engine of the same size, I am
just able to swing a bigger prop.

I always wondered how a redrive could just magically create
additional hp, seemed like getting something for nothing, now I
(hopefully) have a better understanding.

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
RAM Subaru, Stratus redrive.

do not archive.
ideaz1(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices? Reply with quote

The use of a re-drive to allow a longer prop at lower speeds is really
critical not to get more horsepower but to use what you have to the best
efficiency. This is just a proven fact. If not, nobody but nobody would
bother dragging around all that extra hardware.
Z

pete(at)usjabiru.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices? Reply with quote

I don't think it is a fact when applied to a light aircraft like a 701.
We've just completed testing with our 85 hp Jabiru 2200 powered CH701 using
a 62 inch Sensenich ground adjustable prop and a Tennessee Props 62 inch
wood prop. We are off the ground in less than 100 ft and climb at 800+ fpm.
No redrive is used and prop turns about 3000 rpm on takeoff and climb out.
At cruise we see 87 mph (verified by GPS several times) at normal cruise rpm
of 2950.

Maybe for big heavy slow aircraft a longer slower turning prop may be needed
but for a 701 it just doesn't make much difference. Those who saw our 701
at the Zenith open house can attest that is does get off the ground in a
hurry and climbs very steeply at 50 mph.
Pete Krotje
Jabiru USA Sport Aircraft, LLC
931-680-2800
www.usjabiru.com

--

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I agree with both of you to some degree, but my reasons are different
from the ones you wrote.

I think there are some limits on propeller length that must be considered.

First, if a propeller is too long the tips will hit the ground and
the prop will be damaged or destroyed. This gives a maximum prop
length controlled by the airplane's landing gear and engine position.

On the other end, the portion of the propeller's rotation disk that
is blocked by the fuselage doesn't provide much thrust. For the kind
of planes we are discussing this is perhaps the first 24 inches of
prop diameter.

The third limiting factor is the speed of sound. If the propeller
tips go too fast (around .8 mach) then energy is wasted forming sonic
booms and related things rather than producing thrust. The prop tip
speed is a direct function of the prop's length and the operating RPM.

This all leaves a rather narrow range for a propeller to use on any
given airplane design. The limit includes both the length and
maximum propeller RPM. If you choose an engine that produces its
best power at a higher RPM then you need to install a PSRU to allow
both the engine and propeller to operate efficiently. The PSRU
consumes a considerable amount of engine power and also introduces a
significant new point of failure for the power plant. You would only
want one if needed to get sufficient power from the engine converted
into thrust to make the whole plane work well.

Engines designed for light plane use will not need a PSRU. They are
designed to operate at appropriately low RPM. Sometimes, engines
designed for other purposes like running automobiles or snowmobiles
will require a PSRU to be compatible with propellers.

Paul
XL getting close
At 08:52 AM 10/24/2008, you wrote:

[quote]

We've just completed testing with our 85 hp Jabiru 2200 powered CH701 using
wood prop. We are off the ground in less than 100 ft and climb at 800+ fpm.
At cruise we see 87 mph (verified by GPS several times) at normal cruise rpm
of 2950.

Maybe for big heavy slow aircraft a longer slower turning prop may be needed
but for a 701 it just doesn't make much difference. Those who saw our 701
at the Zenith open house can attest that is does get off the ground in a
Pete Krotje
931-680-2800
www.usjabiru.com

--

jimandmandy(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices? Reply with quote

Do you happen to know what factors dictate number of blades? Ive seen some three bladed props on Rotax 912 installations, so it cant be hp alone. It made some sense to be when looking at large transport aircraft with reduction geared radials, where maximum diameter was limited by ground clearance. Two blade props were generally used under 1000hp, three up to about 2000hp and four blades above that.

--- On Fri, 10/24/08, Paul Mulwitz <psm(at)att.net> wrote:
[quote]From: Paul Mulwitz <psm(at)att.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices?
Date: Friday, October 24, 2008, 9:43 AM

[quote]--> Zenith-List message posted by: Paul Mulwitz <psm(at)att.net>

Hi Guys,

from the ones you wrote.

I think there are some limits on propeller length that must be considered.

the prop will be damaged or destroyed. This gives a maximum prop
length controlled by the airplane's landing gear and engine position.

is blocked by the fuselage doesn't provide much thrust. For the kind
prop diameter.

The third limiting factor is the speed of sound. If the propeller
booms and related things rather than producing thrust. The prop tip
speed is a direct function of the prop's length and the operating RPM.

This all leaves a rather narrow range for a propeller to use on any
maximum propeller RPM. If you choose an engine that produces its
significant new point of failure for the power plant. You would only

Engines designed for light plane use will not need a PSRU. They are
designed to operate at appropriately low RPM. Sometimes, engines

Paul
XL getting close
At 08:52 AM 10/24/2008, you wrote:

Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "Pete Krotje"
<pete(at)usjabiru.com>

Quote:

We've just completed testing with our 85 hp Jabiru 2200 powered CH701
using

Quote:
wood prop. We are off the ground in less than 100 ft and climb at 800+
fpm.

Quote:
At cruise we see 87 mph (verified by GPS several times) at normal cruise
rpm

Quote:
of 2950.

Maybe for big heavy slow aircraft a longer slower turning prop may be
needed

Quote:
but for a 701 it just doesn't make much difference. Those who saw our

[quote]at the Zenith open house can attest that is does get off the ground in a
Pete [quote][b]

Gig Giacona

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices? Reply with quote

Some of the 3-blade installations I've seen on small planes would have been better off with 2 blades but the builder wanted that faster LOOK that you get with more blades.

Remember all things being equal the more effeceint prop is the one with the fewer blades right down to 1.
jimandmandy(at)yahoo.com wrote:
Do you happen to know what factors dictate number of blades? Ive seen some three bladed props on Rotax 912 installations, so it cant be hp alone. It made some sense to be when looking at large transport aircraft with reduction geared radials, where maximum diameter was limited by ground clearance. Two blade props were generally used under 1000hp, three up to about 2000hp and four blades above that.

jaybannist(at)cs.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices? Reply with quote

Yes, it has been proved that a single, counterbalanced blade is the most efficient. It is simply not acceptable because of the LOOK.

Jay in Dallas
Do not archive

--

craig(at)craigandjean.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices? Reply with quote

Quote:
62 inch Sensenich ground adjustable prop and a Tennessee Props 62 inch
wood prop

So which prop performed better? I know which one is less expensive.

-- Craig

--

bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices? Reply with quote

Efficiency, ground clearance, noise and power all factor in to the number of blades used on a prop.

The most efficient propellor is a single blade prop with a counter balance. This arrangement has actually been used on a few motor gliders but it isn't very practical for high power applications because of the unbalanced moment it applies to the end of the prop shaft. In general, the more blades a propellor has the more aerodynamic interference there is between the blades, which hurts efficiency.
The most common prop has two blades because this gives the highest efficiency for most applications. The more power your engine produces, the more power the propellor has to absorb. Three ways to increase the amount of power a prop can absorb are to increase the pitch, chord or length of the prop. There is a practical limit to how much you can do any combination of these things. You may run out of ground clearance or start getting too much sonic losses if the blade get too long, you may start to exceed the maximum angle of attack if the pitch gets too high, etc. At some point, the only way to absorb more power may be to start adding blades.
Another factor is noise, in at least one case I know of, the original two blade prop had such high tip speeds on take-off that it was extremely noisy, so a shorter, three blade prop was substituted to reduce the noise level. Another point to consider is that a three blade prop produces a higher pitched sound which generally dissipates more rapidly over distance than a lower pitched sound. You give up a little bit of efficiency but keep the neighbors happy.

On Oct 24, 2008, at 3:24 PM, Jimbo wrote:
Quote:

---

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
do not archive.

[quote][b]

do not archive.
bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices? Reply with quote

Yes, looks play a factor also. The swept back vertical tails on many
light aircraft actually hurt the performance of the airplane, but they
look good, so that's why they're there.

On Oct 24, 2008, at 4:56 PM, Gig Giacona wrote:

Quote:

Some of the 3-blade installations I've seen on small planes would
have been better off with 2 blades but the builder wanted that
faster LOOK that you get with more blades.

Remember all things being equal the more effeceint prop is the one
with the fewer blades right down to 1.

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
do not archive.

do not archive.
pete(at)usjabiru.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices? Reply with quote

Performance was pretty much the same. We had the Sensenich pitched to give
about 80 rpm more than the TN Prop so it climbed just a bit faster but I was
quite happy with both.

Next week we will test the latest Sensenich wood design that was made
specifically for the 701. Once that testing is complete we will offer that
701 for sale.
Pete Krotje
931-680-2800
www.usjabiru.com

--

kmccune

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices? Reply with quote

Don't forget that a redrive multiples torque to the prop. This does give a 80hp redrive an advantage over a 80 hp direct drive of the same engine in swinging a prop at the same RPM and engine torque. The redrive engine has a greater latitude of pitch because of the higher prop torque available, as well as bland length options.

And don't forget that the 912S is limited to 5 min on top too.

Kevin

"Real freedom is the sustained act of being an individual." WW - 2009

"Life is a good deal...it's worth it" Feb 1969
Dorothy McCune
psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices? Reply with quote

Hi Jimbo,

I'm just guessing, but I think you have the most important issue when you mention power. There is some limit to the amount of power, i.e. thrust, you can get from one blade. Adding blades makes sense when your power is more than a two blade prop can handle.

One other issue that applies to our size planes. The ultralight community led to a lot of products for low power engines. Perhaps some of them exist simply because people with money thought they were cool. This may well explain why there are so many fancy multi-blade propellers available for engines up to 100 HP.

Paul
XL getting close

At 12:24 PM 10/24/2008, you wrote:

[quote]Do you happen to know what factors dictate number of blades? Ive seen some three bladed props on Rotax 912 installations, so it cant be hp alone. It made some sense to be when looking at large transport aircraft with reduction geared radials, where maximum diameter was limited by ground clearance. Two blade props were generally used under 1000hp, three up to about 2000hp and four blades above that.

--- On Fri, 10/24/08, Paul Mulwitz <psm(at)att.net> wrote:
Subject: RE: Re: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices?
Date: Friday, October 24, 2008, 9:43 AM

Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: Paul Mulwitz
<psm(at)att.net>
Hi

Guys,

from the ones you wrote.
I think there are some limits on propeller length that must be
considered.

the prop will be damaged or destroyed. This gives a maximum
prop

length controlled by the airplane's landing gear and engine
position.

is blocked by the fuselage doesn't provide much thrust. For the
kind

prop diameter.
The third limiting factor is the speed of sound. If the
propeller

booms and related things rather than producing thrust. The prop
tip

speed is a direct function of the prop's length and the operating
RPM.
This all

leaves a rather narrow range for a propeller to use on any

maximum propeller RPM. If you choose an engine that produces
its

significant new point of failure for the power plant. You would
only

Engines designed for light plane use will not need a PSRU. They
are

designed to operate at appropriately low RPM. Sometimes,
engines

Paul

XL getting close
[b]

ideaz1(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Which Of Two STOL CH7XX Building Choices? Reply with quote

Bryan gives an excellent explanation of prop physics. In a prior plane I built I had an IVO 3 blade electric adjust prop. Because of the size and weight of the plane and engine many factors don't applly. I did however have real world experience as I could in a few minutes switch from 3 to 2 blades. I also could adjust the pitch in flight to get max efficiency at any time, i.e. climbing or cruise. The results were that 3 blades were a bit quieter and smoother (less vibration) and climb was improved. With 2 blades top level speed was about 3-4% higher, but of course climb suffered a bit. Remember I was able to adjust the pitch at will so as to get the most of the prop in any conditions, so theres no question of making a bad choice of pitch.

I preferred the 3 blades for my use as the climb and smoothness was more important to me than a slight speed improvement.
The differences were subtle but noticeable.

Dirk Z
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: