Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question On Low-Pressure Brake Lines...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Question On Low-Pressure Brake Lines... Reply with quote

Dear Listers,

I spent a lot of time staring at those plastic brake lines for the low pressure side and just didn't like a thing about them. Just imagine if one were to break and what a mess all the brake fluid all over the cockpit would be like.

After some thought, I came up with the following system for the low pressure feed. I used standard AN 1/4" fittings and aluminum tubing to bring the fluid from the reservoir to a tee fitting and then to bulkhead fittings that connect to standard Aeroquip hoses to the master calendars. Yeah, it was a little more weight, but the peace of mind is worth it.

But here's my question. Notice that on the back side of the second bulkhead, I kind of looped the tubing up and around the hole for the vent. This also positioned tee fitting nicely to feed the left and right sides. The top of that loop is maybe 4 to 5" higher than the top of the reservoir, though. Is the flow from the reservoir to the master cylinders suppose to be basically "gravity fed" or is the "pump" action from the master cylinders all that is necessary to keep the tube and master cylinders full?

Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880 N844RV (res)

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List

2008.10.28_-_RV-8_-_Low_Pressure_Brake_Lines_-_3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.3 KB
 Viewed:  358 Time(s)

2008.10.28_-_RV-8_-_Low_Pressure_Brake_Lines_-_3.jpg

2008.10.28_-_RV-8_-_Low_Pressure_Brake_Lines_-_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.42 KB
 Viewed:  389 Time(s)

2008.10.28_-_RV-8_-_Low_Pressure_Brake_Lines_-_2.jpg

rice737(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Question On Low-Pressure Brake Lines... Reply with quote

Hey Matt C 

Your work looks great. To the best of my knowledge C the reservoir should be above the master cylinders.  I have been using the small resevoirs that attach to the top of the master cylinders with no problems.  Have you given them any thought? 

Paul Rice
RV8 110 hours
Flying Siren

Quote:
Date: Tue C 28 Oct 2008 18:48:08 -0700
To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com; rv-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Question On Low-Pressure Brake Lines...

Dear Listers C

I spent a lot of time staring at those plastic brake lines for the low pressure side and just didn't like a thing about them. Just imagine if one were to break and what a mess all the brake fluid all over the cockpit would be like.

After some thought C I came up with the following system for the low pressure feed. I used standard AN 1/4" fittings and aluminum tubing to bring the fluid from the reservoir to a tee fitting and then to bulkhead fittings that connect to standard Aeroquip hoses to the master calendars. Yeah C it was a little more weight C but the peace of mind is worth it.

But here's my question. Notice that on the back side of the second bulkhead C I kind of looped the tubing up and around the hole for the vent. This also positioned tee fitting nicely to feed the left and right sides. The top of that loop is maybe 4 to 5" higher than the top of the reservoir C though. Is the flow from the reservoir to the master cylinders suppose to be basically "gravity fed" or is the "pump" action from the master cylinders all that is necessary to keep the tube and master cylinders full?

Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880 N844RV (res)

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rv8iator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Question On Low-Pressure Brake Lines... Reply with quote

Matt...

RV's have been using the nylon brake supply tube for years with few problems. The issue that may give you a problems is when bleeding... Being able to see the bubbles in the supply lines make it possible to purge them. I admit that I have a sample size of one... but, we had a tough time getting all the bubbles out even when we could see them.
Chris Stone
RV-8
Newberg, Oregon
--

flyinwithme99(at)yahoo.co

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Question On Low-Pressure Brake Lines... Reply with quote

The important thing is to have the reservoir higher than any of the feed lines. Having all the bubbles out of the feed lines is not necessary as long as you have enough head for a positive fluid flow to the master cylinders. You may have a problem with an air lock in some of the loops you created in the feed lines. Pressure bleeding the system from the bottom up should purge enough of the feed lines to have a sufficient solid reservoir of fluid for feeding the master cylinders when they need additional fluid.

Remember that the only time the master cylinders need any additional fluid is to compensate for brake wear.

To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com; rv-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 8:48:08 PM
Subject: Question On Low-Pressure Brake Lines...
Dear Listers,

After some thought, I came up with the following system for the low pressure feed. I used standard AN 1/4" fittings and aluminum tubing to bring the fluid from the reservoir to a tee fitting and then to bulkhead fittings that connect to standard Aeroquip hoses to the master calendars. Yeah, it was a little more weight, but the peace of mind is worth it.

But here's my question. Notice that on the back side of the second bulkhead, I kind of looped the tubing up and around the hole for the vent. This also positioned tee fitting nicely to feed the left and right sides. The top of that loop is maybe 4 to 5" higher than the top of the reservoir, though. Is the flow from the reservoir to the master cylinders suppose to be basically "gravity fed" or is the "pump" action from the master cylinders all that is necessary to keep the tube and master cylinders full?

Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880 N844RV (res)

[quote][b]

James Baldwin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Question On Low-Pressure Brake Lines... Reply with quote

Matt-
Surely you are using one of the "reverse flow", one man brake bleeding
external reservoirs? With it, the external source of brake fluid is forced
back through the calipers, up the pressurized supply lines, through the
master cylinders, up the un-pressurized feed lines and into the reservoir,
spilling out the top into a temporary catch can. There is no possible
bubble in any line. Works great, available at ACS. JBB

--

mdw(at)ceoexpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Question On Low-Pressure Brake Lines... Reply with quote

Could you please delete me from the RV list?
I am going in a different direction.
David Wilder

---

willslau(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Question On Low-Pressure Brake Lines... Reply with quote

David, you have to do that yourself. Look at the instructions at the bottom of the post.

--

Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Question On Low-Pressure Brake Lines... Reply with quote

Dear Listers,

After some head scratching and a couple more tries, I think I came up with a new design for the low pressure side of the brake lines. With this design, there is a steady slope downward from the reservoir to the master calendars. Seems to be pretty substantial. My only concern is that right feed line going through that candy cane piece isn't really supported anywhere. Its pretty short and solid to the touch, but vibration might cause a issue. Since the bottom floor of the baggage area goes over the top, there's really nothing permanent I can attach it to short of making a bracket of some kind (yuck).

So what do you guys think?

Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880 N844RV (res)
At 06:48 PM 10/28/2008 Tuesday, Matt Dralle wrote:

Quote:
[snip]

Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880 N844RV (res)

2008.11.01_-_RV-8_-_Low_Pressure_Brake_Lines_-_Third_Try_(1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.71 KB
 Viewed:  364 Time(s)

2008.11.01_-_RV-8_-_Low_Pressure_Brake_Lines_-_Third_Try_(1).jpg

2008.11.01_-_RV-8_-_Low_Pressure_Brake_Lines_-_Third_Try_(2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.02 KB
 Viewed:  350 Time(s)

2008.11.01_-_RV-8_-_Low_Pressure_Brake_Lines_-_Third_Try_(2).jpg

2008.11.01_-_RV-8_-_Low_Pressure_Brake_Lines_-_Third_Try_(3).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.51 KB
 Viewed:  367 Time(s)

2008.11.01_-_RV-8_-_Low_Pressure_Brake_Lines_-_Third_Try_(3).jpg

2008.11.01_-_RV-8_-_Low_Pressure_Brake_Lines_-_Third_Try_(4).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.33 KB
 Viewed:  346 Time(s)

2008.11.01_-_RV-8_-_Low_Pressure_Brake_Lines_-_Third_Try_(4).jpg

2008.11.01_-_RV-8_-_Low_Pressure_Brake_Lines_-_Third_Try_(5).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  118.64 KB
 Viewed:  346 Time(s)

2008.11.01_-_RV-8_-_Low_Pressure_Brake_Lines_-_Third_Try_(5).jpg

2008.11.01_-_RV-8_-_Low_Pressure_Brake_Lines_-_Third_Try_(6).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.65 KB
 Viewed:  354 Time(s)

2008.11.01_-_RV-8_-_Low_Pressure_Brake_Lines_-_Third_Try_(6).jpg

2008.11.01_-_RV-8_-_Low_Pressure_Brake_Lines_-_Third_Try_(7).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.03 KB
 Viewed:  385 Time(s)

2008.11.01_-_RV-8_-_Low_Pressure_Brake_Lines_-_Third_Try_(7).jpg

johnee35(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Question On Low-Pressure Brake Lines... Reply with quote

It's an experimental aircraft, your idea will probably work fine, try it.
Or use the flex lines as plans call for, or use the reservoirs on the master
cylinders to assure no leaks.

The amount of fluid needed to keep calipers working properly won't amount to
1 ounce per side as lining wears.

I used the flex lines per plans, two years, 200 hours, no problem.

J.Ellis a/p 1726833

---

Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Question On Low-Pressure Brake Lines... Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback John. To run it parallel with the high pressure line above it, I would have had to go up a couple of inches as it relates to the reservoir since I have to go under the baggage floor. I was trying to make sure that all of the run was at least slightly downward to keep gravity pulling the fluid toward the master cylinder. Am I mis-understanding your comment?

Matt

At 08:54 AM 11/2/2008 Sunday, you wrote:
[quote]Your workmanship is exceptional and a thing of beauty to behold.
However, when I am performing Tech Inspections, I would caution builders
on the use of a long continuous run as in your picture (2). I would
have created the same sweep as the line above and run the straight line
more parallel to the upper line.

John Cox
A&P, IA
EAA Tech #5242

--

Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Question On Low-Pressure Brake Lines... Reply with quote

Ah! I understand. But those are the low pressure side so there really isn't any "pressure" to speak of, is there? I do see your point from a best-practices stand point and it was something that I didn't know.

Thanks!

Matt
At 09:23 AM 11/2/2008 Sunday, you wrote:
[quote]No, however any line containing pressurized fluid contracts in length
and expands in diameter, hence the need for flex by routing other than
the "shortest distance between two connection points. It is spelled out
in the AC43.13.

John

--

Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Question On Low-Pressure Brake Lines... Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, Mike. I actually did try these babies out. The problem on the RV-8, though, is that with the adjustable rudder pedals at full "tall-person", the mini-reservoir doesn't clear the firewall when the brakes are applied. Here's a picture with one on the right master cylinder and full right rudder applied, but no brake action. Notice that there is only about 1/16" of clearance to the firewall. I wish that Grove had used a different fitting design instead of just slapping a NPT M-M on the side. Its way too long. Anybody know of a similar fitting that is about half as long?

Matt

At 06:46 PM 11/1/2008 Saturday, you wrote:
Quote:

Hi Matt,
You've created a plumbing masterpiece but it's a ton of complication and cost. Have you thought about just mounting the brake reservoir right on the brake master cylinders?
This is similar to the set up that I've used. $22/ea.

Good luck.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/remoteFluidReservoirs.php
>Dear Listers,
>
>After some head scratching and a couple more tries, I think I came up with a new design for the low pressure side of the brake lines. With this design, there is a steady slope downward from the reservoir to the master calendars. Seems to be pretty substantial. My only concern is that right feed line going through that candy cane piece isn't really supported anywhere. Its pretty short and solid to the touch, but vibration might cause a issue. Since the bottom floor of the baggage area goes over the top, there's really nothing permanent I can attach it to short of making a bracket of some kind (yuck).
>
>So what do you guys think?
>
>Matt Dralle
>RV-8 #82880 N844RV (res)
>

Matt G Dralle | Matronics | PO Box 347 | Livermore | CA | 94551
925-606-1001 V | 925-606-6281 F | dralle(at)matronics.com Email
http://www.matronics.com/ WWW | Featuring Products For Aircraft

2008.11.02_-_RV-8_-_Grove_Mini_Brake_Fluid_Reservoir.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  142.89 KB
 Viewed:  338 Time(s)

2008.11.02_-_RV-8_-_Grove_Mini_Brake_Fluid_Reservoir.jpg

speed3guy(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Question On Low-Pressure Brake Lines... Reply with quote

Matt,

I used the individual reservoirs, but mounted them with a street elbow
instead of a straight nipple. That gives a bit more clearance to the
firewall.

Guy

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: