Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions Reply with quote

Agree with Dennis. Yesterday was at the top of a loop at 90 kilometers/hour and zero G. She hung there “unloaded” quite nicely without the least interest in stalling. I do not recommend doing that for those that are not comfortable with spin entry and recovery. The gotcahas’ with this aircraft is poor FOD control and not knowing how to do spin recovery. Recognizing the impending entry makes it a lot easier to prevent having to recover. Flying with a competent IP in the YAK is a start then going out and flying with someone like Sergei if you still are not comfortable with Acro in this aircraft. She is not an airplane to be afraid of. She is a plane to respect and knowing your entry speeds along with knowing the recovery techniques will make you very comfortable flying this aircraft.
FOD prevention is a must or you could end up in a unrecoverable state with the screw driver, knife, ect lodged in the elevator counter weight . The is another thread.
Doc

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of A. Dennis Savarese
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 6:08 AM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions

Who said. "the Yak can bite you during aerobatic maneuvers"? A CJ owner? Common guys....don't scare the guy off. The airplane was a trainer! Read again....trainer. Primary and aerobatic up through intermediate levels of aerobatics. It was not designed to kill people. People were trained in this airplane that never touched or felt and airplane before in their lives. To say the Yak can bite you during aerobatic maneuvers is clearly over stated. ANY airplane can bite you if not flown correctly, particularly during aerobatics. Proper training is the key.

Contact me off-list if you want to discuss the benefits of either of these two fine airplanes.

Dennis

Quote:

----- Original Message -----

To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)

Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2008 10:12 PM

Subject: Re: Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions

--> Yak-List message posted by: "AKMac" <macjohnson(at)gmail.com (macjohnson(at)gmail.com)>

Thanks for the reply's guys. I've got a few emails from you helping me out. One of which mentioned that the Yak can bite you during aerobatic maneuvers. Can someone explain the bad handling qualities that the Yak has?

I see that the CJ is also a popular airplane. I'm really just looking for a weekend warrior intermediate aerobatic machine, not a cross country people hauler. Plus the Yak is about 25k cheaper which puts it into my airplane budget.

Any buyers guides, or things to look for would be quite helpful if you have any advice. Thanks.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=211913#211913

<Bp; -- Please Support Your Lists This Month (And Get the Annual link Free href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c Thank you for your generous ; -Matt Dralle, List nbsp; Navigator Photoshare, and href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List">http://www.matronics========================<; via the Web href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
_==============

http://www.matronics.com/contribution
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions Reply with quote

Doc's point about FOD control is paramount. Not only in the 52, but in any aircraft you intend to do aerobatics in. As for the 52, it is well documented in the accident reports that the elevator bell crank is most susceptible to FOD jamming.
Dennis

[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions Reply with quote

Jan,
Have you had training in the Anti-G maneuvers? Aerobic and weight training also help with increasing your G tolerance. Flying under high G frequently also improves your tolerance. Laying off for a few days will cause your tolerance to be less. Your G tolerance will vary from day to day so doing a G warm up before going into a full up routine will help you to determine where you are on that day too. Starting the Anti-G strain before you start your pull will help keep you ahead of the G’s as they build up.
Glad you survived your 42 seconds of GLOCK. Many do not.
If you can get in touch with the flight physiology or flight medicine department at one of your local fighter bases should be helpful in getting you trained. If memory serves correctly, you are in Belgium or was it Holland?
Any other questions about Anti-G maneuvers, contact me off list.
Doc

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of A. Dennis Savarese
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 6:16 AM

So why is it a problem with the airplanes flight characteristics when you pull more G's than your body can handle and lose consciousness?

Dennis

[quote]

Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 1:38 AM

Subject: RE: Re: Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions

--> Yak-List message posted by: "Jan Mevis" <jan.mevis(at)informavia.be (jan.mevis(at)informavia.be)>

Of course, I ment "consciousness" instead of "conscience". Loosing the
second one, would be nasty ...
My native tongue isn't English ...

Jan

--

jan.mevis(at)informavia.b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions Reply with quote

Thanks for the good advise, Doc!

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Roger Kemp MD
Sent: maandag 3 november 2008 15:35

Jan,
Have you had training in the Anti-G maneuvers? Aerobic and weight training also help with increasing your G tolerance. Flying under high G frequently also improves your tolerance. Laying off for a few days will cause your tolerance to be less. Your G tolerance will vary from day to day so doing a G warm up before going into a full up routine will help you to determine where you are on that day too. Starting the Anti-G strain before you start your pull will help keep you ahead of the G’s as they build up.
If you can get in touch with the flight physiology or flight medicine department at one of your local fighter bases should be helpful in getting you trained. If memory serves correctly, you are in Belgium or was it Holland?
Doc

So why is it a problem with the airplanes flight characteristics when you pull more G's than your body can handle and lose consciousness?

Dennis

[quote]

--> Yak-List message posted by: "Jan Mevis" <jan.mevis(at)informavia.be (jan.mevis(at)informavia.be)>

Jan

--

MarkWDavis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions Reply with quote

Being properly hydrated particularly in warm weather seems to make a significant difference in my g tolerance. I think I recall it being discussed in my Navy training also. Dehydration also effects judgement. I always drink a bottle of water before any flight that will involve any high g maneuvering and carry a bottle with me on longer flights on hot days. Rapid but controlled pull versus just snatching the g allows you to pull until onset of grey and then I unload and roll wings level if any doubt before turning back into a fight.

Mark Davis
N44YK
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions Reply with quote

Sage advice that I left out. Not intentionally, just was not snap thinking of it.
Doc

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Mark Davis
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 9:57 AM

Being properly hydrated particularly in warm weather seems to make a significant difference in my g tolerance. I think I recall it being discussed in my Navy training also. Dehydration also effects judgement. I always drink a bottle of water before any flight that will involve any high g maneuvering and carry a bottle with me on longer flights on hot days. Rapid but controlled pull versus just snatching the g allows you to pull until onset of grey and then I unload and roll wings level if any doubt before turning back into a fight.

Mark Davis

N44YK
[quote]

Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 7:34 AM

Jan,
Doc

Dennis

[quote]

Jan

--

Pete M

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions Reply with quote

Lots of good advice although a bit scary. I started with instruction in the more gentle art of rolls, loops and stall turns all of which should not tax an average persons G tolerence. Then work up to the higher G later.

The classic gotcha in a Yak is trying to force it around a stall turn when it will not go. A good recipe for a stall/spin scenario which without adequate height is tricky. More than a few have spun in off a high power/low speed departure from controlled flight.

If it will not go around then centralize the controls and shut the power off. The machine will fall either backwards or forwards into a nose down attitude which is definitely better than a flat spin.

But you do have to really provoke a Yak to make it bite you. Just don't keep poking it with a sharp stick!

shinden33

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions Reply with quote

If anyone is interested the facility I work for, the National AeroSpace Training and Research (NASTAR) Center, offers anti-g training. www.nastarcenter.com We have a full motion sustained g simulator capable of 9+ g's if you're really feeling froggy! Contact me off-line if anyone is interested.

Scott Glaser
N8252

flushjohnson(at)charter.n

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions Reply with quote

The 52 is a smaller airplane tha the CJ6. Your airframe would be better off
in a CJ. I would advise you to look a little further at the comparrisions of
the 52 and the CJ. The CJ will do every thing the 52 will do and is a better
cross country airplane, hands down. the stock CJ with 285 HP will give you
135 kts at 13 GPH. The 52 will do max 120 kts at 17 gph. Would lile to
discuss further at your convience. I have a great CJ6 forsale.
---

mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions Reply with quote

Forrest, you are the man! I love it!

Mac, they can be kind of hard to find now-a-days, but if you can live
with a single seat aircraft, the YAK-50 is one of the best aircraft
around for big guys. I am over 6'6", and my weight is classified for
fear someone might actually plug the numbers in on a weight and balance
issue (smile). I can not fit in a 52 or a CJ-6. However, I can fit
into a stock 50 (single seat model). I have moved the seat back a few
inches... An easy mod, and that leaves me with even more comfort.

Forrest is right in that the CJ is a faster aircraft with even less fuel
burn than the 52. I can't honestly let the statement go that the CJ
will do everything that the 52 will do. The CJ will do gentleman
aerobatics with aplomb. The CJ is not built for competitive aerobatic
instruction, while the 52 is. The CJ-6 does what I call "nice"
aerobatics. The YAK-52 does RIP YOUR LIPS OFF aerobatics. That's where
the real difference lies. The CJ is a graceful swan. The 52 is a
freaking tractor.

Of course the 50 beats both of them. At 17 GPH it does around 158
knots. It's a weight thing, pure and simple.

If you combine the best of both though, you get a CJ-6 with the Russian
M-14PF engine and a three bladed MT prop. That's a very serious
airplane and I would have to say would be very hard to resist, even if
the level of aerobatics is not "perfect" per se.

Mark Bitterlich
Wearing a flame proof suit

--

Dale

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions Reply with quote

I'll have to talk to my 52 and tell it to slow down and burn more gas. I cruise at 130K and 14gph.

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions Reply with quote

While I agree the CJ6 is a fine airplane and a better cross country airplane and also faster than the 52, I disagree the CJ6 will do everything a Yak 52 will do and your max speed of 120 knots and fuel burn of 17 GPH at 120 knots are seriously exaggerated. Now I don't know what Yak 52 you've been flying, but 120 knots in cruise is clearly not max and 17 GPH at 120 knots is definitely not max speed. Yak 52's cruise very comfortably at 120 -125 knots with a fuel burn of around 14 GPH as proven on a JPI FS450 fuel flow instrument.

What is the roll rate of the CJ6 Forrest? Is it greater than 140 degrees per second? What is the best short field take off distance for a CJ6? Is it less than 500 - 600 FT? How long will you fly a CJ6 inverted, holding altitude, without doing damage to the engine.

Once again, I think the CJ6 is an outstanding airplane. It clearly has some advantages over the Yak 52. But to imply it will do everything a Yak 52 will do, is an overstatement.
Dennis

[quote] ---

petervs(at)knology.net

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions Reply with quote

Mac,

I'm 6'7" and 295 lbs. I've flow my stock Yak 52 300 hours in the last two
years with no problems. It's a squeeze and friends laugh when I put the
plane on, but I have enjoyed it thoroughly. The Yak however is a more
capable aerobatics plane if you are into that. Of course, every CJ owner
disagrees.

Les Shockley has apparently modified his Yak 52 front seat to where the seat
was moved back 3 inches at the bottom and 5 at the top, but I have no idea
how he did that and it looks like a rather major mod to me.

I'd be interested in a rudder pedal redesign and a Malcolm canopy if someone
perfects them.

Good Luck.

Pete

__|__
__|__ ----=(*)=---- __|__
----=(*)=---- __|__ ----=(*)=----
----=(*)=----

--

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions Reply with quote

Pete and Mac, I think a lot of this has to do with torso height and leg length, the two places where tall people differ.

I have a 34-35 inch leg length. My torso height is 48 inches. I am just short of 6'7" in height. I can not fit into a YAK-52... Period. Yet, I am absolutely sure that Mac can (I outweigh you Mac [smile]) My guess is that Mac might have longer legs than myself and a shorter torso height.

Mac?
Mark Bitterlich

--

petervs(at)knology.net

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions Reply with quote

I guess that my Yak is bigger. Smile

I have a 34-35 inch inseam and I'm exactly 6'7" tall. I wear a 52XL jacket.
My callsign is Squatch, short for Sasquatch. Smile

I can squeeze in the back seat too, but it sucks with a capital S.

People ask how I fit myself in the Yak, I tell them it is mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

__|__
----=(*)=----
--

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions Reply with quote

Ok, well I am then at a total loss Squatch. When I sit in a 52, there is no way I can turn enough to get my fingers on any of the electrical switches on the left side. My shoulders hit the sides of the aircraft and I have to turn slightly sideways. My legs hit the bottom of the instrument panel and I can not deflect the rudders fully. The stick can not be pulled fully backwards, and my head hits the canopy unless I sit on the bare metal with not only no chute, but no padding either.

I am convinced you are right ... Mind over matter.... You're darn tootin~! You're da man~!

Mark Bitterlich

P.s. I'm a 56 XL, but when I WAS a 52XL, I still could not fit. I really would love to see how you pull this off someday!

--

petervs(at)knology.net

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions Reply with quote

I guess my many years as a disadvantaged cave explorer taught me how to be
small when I need to.

Pete

__|__
----=(*)=----
--

Dabear(at)damned.org

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions Reply with quote

Check out the RPA website as there is a spreadsheet that can help you
calculate the costs of owning a 52 or CJ. I'm 6'3" and 250+. I owned a 52
and was extremely happy with the airplane, the cockpit size being ok for
hour long flights. For flights to Osh or other long cross countries I
didn't care for short leg flights and hated the cockpit. I own a CJ now. I
'd recommend you check out the CJ. Also once you add the peddle mod from
Barry and the malcom hood, the CJ cockpit is great for long trips.

Don't get me started about baggage in the 52....
Dabear
Quote:

>
>
> Hi guys. I'm looking into buying a Yak-52 sometime in the next year. From
> my research these aircraft seem like capable aerobatic machines, and are
> relatively easy and inexpensive to maintain. I think they will fit my
> desires perfectly.
>
> This will be my first aircraft purchase and I'm trying to get an idea of
> exactly how much these birds cost to fly. My estimates are about $110 an
> hour wet (at 4.90 a gallon) Does this seem correct or am I way off here?
>
> Secondly I'm a long legged guy at 6'3" and 250lbs. Now I've flown C152's
> and Super Cubs, and I can tolerate them. But I would really like an
> airplane that is at least somewhat comfortable for me. I understand that
> at my size this is a tall order (pun intended!) but how comfortable are
> these airplanes for you guys?
>
> Anyways I think I have everything else figured out. If there is anything
> odd that is specific to the Yak please bring it to my attention. Thanks.
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 11719#211719
>

Dabear(at)damned.org

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Want to buy a Yak-52, have some questions Reply with quote

I'm a CJ owner and former 52 owner and I don't disagre with you. The CJ can
NOT do everything the Yak-52 can do. The 52 is a much better acro plane
than the CJ. However the CJ is better for longer flights and larger people.
The other reasons to choos a 52 or CJ over the other are all subjective to
the individual.

While I'll not disagree that the 50 is a great airplane, I like the ability
to take a passenger. So I like the CJ with the M14p and 3 bladed prop as
the best airplane.

DaBear

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: