Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Edge Distance At Ends Of Rib Flanges

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvanlanen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Edge Distance At Ends Of Rib Flanges Reply with quote

I don’t want to ask ZAC too many questions, so I’ll try the list on this question. I am laying out the rivet lines for my 601XL ailerons. The rivet line through the top skin into the front skin flange and top rib flanges is positioned at 10mm from the front of the skin (midway on the 20mm front flange). According to my measurements, these rivets will not meet the minimum edge distance requirements from the front of the rib flanges, because the way the ribs are manufactured, there is about a 4mm to 5mm gap between the front rib flange and the start of the top flange. So with the thickness of the front skin figured in, my edge distance from the front edge of the rib flanges will only be about 4mm. I can’t come up with a way to meet the minimum – all I could do is add another rivet, but the plans just show a normal pitch 40 on the remaining rivets. Does anyone know if this is an issue, or is it acceptable for this particular edge distance not to meet the minimum? I know when I built my stabilizer, there was a specific note that said I did not need to worry about this end-of-rib-flange edge distance, but I don’t want to assume that it applies in all cases. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave Van Lanen
601XL – tail done, working on wings [quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
dvanlanen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Edge Distance At Ends Of Rib Flanges Reply with quote

I don’t want to ask ZAC too many questions, so I’ll try the list on this question. I am laying out the rivet lines for my 601XL ailerons. The rivet line through the top skin into the front skin flange and top rib flanges is positioned at 10mm from the front of the skin (midway on the 20mm front flange). According to my measurements, these rivets will not meet the minimum edge distance requirements from the front of the rib flanges, because the way the ribs are manufactured, there is about a 4mm to 5mm gap between the front rib flange and the start of the top flange. So with the thickness of the front skin figured in, my edge distance from the front edge of the rib flanges will only be about 4mm. I can’t come up with a way to meet the minimum – all I could do is add another rivet, but the plans just show a normal pitch 40 on the remaining rivets. Does anyone know if this is an issue, or is it acceptable for this particular edge distance not to meet the minimum? I know when I built my stabilizer, there was a specific note that said I did not need to worry about this end-of-rib-flange edge distance, but I don’t want to assume that it applies in all cases. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave Van Lanen
601XL – tail done, working on wings [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Ron Lendon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Edge Distance At Ends Of Rib Flanges Reply with quote

Dave,

What I have done is mark a rivet hole 10mm from each end and use a rivet spacing tool set to 40 mm or less to balance the rest of the rivet line. That way they all have good even spacing and the ends are correct.

Hope that helps,

N601LT - Flying
http://www.mykitlog.com/rlendon
Corvair Engine Prints:
https://sites.google.com/site/corvairenginedata/
Jugle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Edge Distance At Ends Of Rib Flanges Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I had questions for Zenith on the subject of spacing and edge distance early on. They were not too fussy about pitch or edge distance, provided the edge distance was no less than 8mm and the pitch was 40mm or less, so as Ron says, just reduce the pitch to suit while keeping your edge distance.

Oh, and don't be afraid to ask ZAC too many questions, that's your entitlement having paid for the plans.

BTW, nice to see an actual construction question here!

Glenn.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: