Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cable Tensions for 601XL?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amyvega2005(at)earthlink.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Cable Tensions for 601XL? Reply with quote

not having elevator trim limits the plane's power to weight true speed capabilitys. You pitch/ trim for speed and throttle for climb. If no trim avaialable than the plane will be set a level flight at a certain horsepower and as weight changes the level flight/ horse power output will change.

Cable tension is a whole differnt ball of wax. The Tension AD is out there because people did not focus on it as that important and it bit some folks in the ass, and then they blame it on the design.

Juan

--

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Cable Tensions for 601XL? Reply with quote

every pilot flys their plane with the trim. makes for better and smooth flying. a plane with now trim is limitred in its true capabilities and so is the pilot.

Juan

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

notsew_evets(at)frontiern

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Cable Tensions for 601XL? Reply with quote

P factor and torque is corrected by left or right engine mount setting. OR
rudder offset. I understand that Sabrina was talking about climb and
desent. With power or not the attitude (verticle) should not change a whole
bunch.

---

hills(at)sunflower.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Cable Tensions for 601XL? Reply with quote

My 601HDS propeller fluttered too !!!!
Then it broke off.

Roger

From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of J.T. Machin
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:49 AM
To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: Cable Tensions for 601XL?

Sabrina,

I have to agree with Wade. Every aircraft's control system is different and and the fact that the ailerons have a balance cable really does not impact its flutter characteristics because flutter is not really a control surface deflection that originates from the stick. The deflection comes from a flexing of the system that then stores the spring energy. This flexing and storing of energy and then releasing that energy as the surface unflexes is a primary driver in the creation of the flutter effect. That is why stiffer is better when it comes to control systems.

That being said, a flutter situation can occur in any of the control surfaces. As the XL has had several reported instances of aileron flutter, it seems to be the most prevalent flutter mode. I have not heard of any report instances of elevator flutter. Also, any additional weight at the trailing edge of a control surface will absolutely reduce the flutter speed. I'm not saying that the XL with aileron trim is unsafe, but it does have less flutter margin than one without the trim system.

I decided to go with a bungee type trim if required for the the ailerons.

Jim Machin
601XL, 0-200
Almost done!

--- On Wed, 11/12/08, Sabrina <chicago2paris(at)msn.com> wrote:
Subject: Re: Cable Tensions for 601XL?
Date: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 8:24 AM
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "Sabrina"
<chicago2paris(at)msn.com>

"I did use elevator trim."

Wade,

Personally, the elevator trim weight bothered me more than the aileron trim.
The ailerons, by their nature of one being up and one down, should, if properly
tensioned, be easier to dampen in flight than a fluttering elevator. So too, a
builder can easily adjust an XL's horizontal stabilizer for proper cruise
configuration since it sits so high off the longerons. The aileron trim was a
much easier call for me than the elevator trim. If no aileron trim under Par.
4-36, why elevator trim?

As to Par 4-36(c) was it the Cardinal that used foam in the elevator trim tab
that took on water/ice and threw it off balance?

Has anyone had to drill a weep hole in their elevator trim tab to make sure ice
does not build up? I ended up gust-locking my elevator in the up position
rather than down to keep the ice out.

Read this topic online

[quote][b]

n801bh(at)netzero.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Cable Tensions for 601XL? Reply with quote

Miss Sabrina,,,, I could go back through all of your emails and point out every detail you have wrong, in fact I still might, But. Until you strap you own butt in the seat of the plane you claim you built and actually get it in the air your comments are second hand gossip. Funny you answered all the other questions except for the one asking why you don't fly your own plane..
Stay tuned for the regular scheduled program already in progress.
do not archive

Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

-- "Sabrina" <chicago2paris(at)msn.com> wrote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "Sabrina" <chicago2paris(at)msn.com>

Mr. Haas,

The problem here is that I am sending someone else up in my aircraft every time I authorize a new test flight. It is a very serious task, especially the first flight after each XL fatality.

The rudder tension numbers bothered me and that is why I did not sign the aircraft off for the next flight until I figured it out.  (Remember now, the IA did not adjust the rudder tensions.) I posted the numbers here and you guys, albeit off list, confirmed my problem with the numbers. Since I have 33% more bearing surface than you guys on the rudder, 5 more pounds of tension than the Haas 30 +/- 5 is nominal, but not optimal.

Most newer, light-engine 601s have a higher 'at rest' rudder tension because the stop plate is at or nearly at rest. My nose heavy aircraft, and those with more time on their bungee will see their at rest rudder tensions drop. Each of us should expect a different at rest value and something other than my 12-13 pound differential between rest and flight.

Although I know my particular airframe "at rest" better than anyone, and had to defend my modifications to it during hours of meetings last December and January, since I have never flown it or in it, I have to rely upon others in situations involving the feel of the aircraft in flight. For example, the rudder is often described in post-flight briefings as heavy, the ailerons medium and the elevator light as compared to my Cessna 150L. My test pilot actually flies my C150L first and then flies the Sabrina. Although they are different animals, they do share many features including a common engine/prop. This nearly contemporaneous comparison gives me the only "feel" I have for the Sabrina in flight and takes away the "local conditions" factor that might otherwise taint the comparison.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=213742#213742
<========================sp;   &nb========================================================================; - MAT==========================================

Gig Giacona

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable Tensions for 601XL? Reply with quote

gburdett wrote:
And I'm a 7 year old Dalmatian whose owner taught to fly using hand signals. Give it a rest.

Update: Aren't you in school today? Not bothered-get cranky a lot though. Sometimes too experimental. You seem to have an innate grasp of aeronautical topics-do you have a mentor or read a lot?

DO NOT ARCHIVE

Well she built a plane.

hills(at)sunflower.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Cable Tensions for 601XL? Reply with quote

Like I always say, flying is only part of aviation, and not necessarily the
best part.

Roger

--

ideaz1(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Cable Tensions for 601XL? Reply with quote

Sorry, no offense Steve, but I agree with Juan on this one. Simple test...
fly straight and level then cut throttle to idle while holding the elevator
steady. I promise you that ANY plane will soon be in a steep dive toward the
ground. Full power from straight and level (if your trimmed for level at
low power) and you will pitch up and climb. I thought we all knew this
---

stormyflight(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Cable Tensions for 601XL? Reply with quote

Wow Ben,

I am surprised at your response to such a talented and well educated email from Sabrina.

I have never seen anyone accomplish so much and have so much eloquence from so one so young. Her enthusiasm is contagious and am honored to discuss such issues with her.

This is coming from one who has been in the aerospace business for over 25 years and has designed 12 aircraft,(some I expect that you have heard of; Predator and Reaper UAV's which are currently performing the majority of the Air Force missions overseas).

I for one look forward to Sabrina's comments and while I don't always agree, I do feel that I am exchanging with an aerospace engineer with many years of experience. I truly applaud all of you accomplishments to date. At her age I was still shaping balsa wood sticks for my free flight model airplanes and hoping for a trophy at the local model aircraft contest.

By the way, Sabrina, if you are looking for a summer internship at a state of the art aerospace company once you start your college career, contact me off line. I am sure we can work something out.

Jim Machin
Director of Advanced Development
General Atomic Aeronautical Systems

--- On Wed, 11/12/08, n801bh(at)netzero.com <n801bh(at)netzero.com> wrote:
[quote]From: n801bh(at)netzero.com <n801bh(at)netzero.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Cable Tensions for 601XL?
Date: Wednesday, November 12, 2008, 5:08 PM

Miss Sabrina,,,, I could go back through all of your emails and point out every detail you have wrong, in fact I still might, But. Until you strap you own butt in the seat of the plane you claim you built and actually get it in the air your comments are second hand gossip. Funny you answered all the other questions except for the one asking why you don't fly your own plane..
Stay tuned for the regular scheduled program already in progress.
do not archive

Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

-- "Sabrina" <chicago2paris(at)msn.com> wrote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "Sabrina" <chicago2paris(at)msn.com>

Mr. Haas,

The problem here is that I am sending someone else up in my aircraft every time I authorize a new test flight. It is a very serious task, especially the first flight after each XL fatality.

The rudder tension numbers bothered me and that is why I did not sign the aircraft off for the next flight until I figured it out. (Remember now, the IA did not adjust the rudder tensions.) I posted the numbers here and you guys, albeit off list, confirmed my problem with the numbers. Since I have 33% more bearing surface than you guys on the rudder, 5 more pounds of tension than the Haas 30 +/- 5 is nominal, but not optimal.

Most newer, light-engine 601s have a higher 'at rest' rudder tension because the stop plate is at or nearly at rest. My nose heavy aircraft, and those with more time on their bungee will see their at rest rudder tensions drop. Each of us should expect a different at rest value and something other than my 12-13 pound differential between rest and flight.

Although I know my particular airframe "at rest" better than anyone, and had to defend my modifications to it during hours of meetings last December and January, since I have never flown it or in it, I have to rely upon others in situations involving the feel of the aircraft in flight. For example, the rudder is often described in post-flight briefings as heavy, the ailerons medium and the elevator light as compared to my Cessna 150L. My test pilot actually flies my C150L first and then flies the Sabrina. Although they are different animals, they do share many features including a common engine/prop. This nearly contemporaneous comparison gives me the only "feel" I have for the Sabrina in flight and takes away the "local conditions" factor that might otherwise taint the comparison.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 13742#213742
<========================sp; &nb========================================================================; - MAT==========================================

ideaz1(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Cable Tensions for 601XL? Reply with quote

Back to the cable tension debate, if I may, with all the discussions of
cables and flutter I am more convinced than ever to use pushrods, and
balanced control surfaces. To me, this is a simple, logical fix. I'm not the
first person to do this, and probably not the last. pushrods never need
tension adjusting, they do not put a permanent strain on the airframe like
cables do. If there is any play from worn parts you can tell instantly on
your pre-flight.
As to balance of controls this further relieves stress on the airframe and
if I'm not mistaken helps reduce the possibility of flutter.

I frankly don't care if Zenith Inc. doesn't like this but it is obviously
very hard and embarassing for a company to admit that they could have done
better and make changes to their design, admitting to those weaknesses in
their design, so I use my own experience and compare this plane to other
designs that have done a better job on some of these issues. I didn't invent
pushrods and balanced ailerons, but I have flown some exceptional planes
that had them so why not.. I'm sure I'm not the only person to write to Mr
Heinz about this issue and the wing failure issue only to get the pat
response that "there are hundreds of these planes flying so it must be OK"
Well maybe most people don't get close to the design limits of their planes
and never find out the hard way that they are borderline in some areas and
you only get one chance to cross that line.

I still like the plane and plan to build it, but I'll fix these obvious (in
my opinion) weaknesses.

Dirk
PS Let the flames begin, I'm ready for you!

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Cable Tensions for 601XL? Reply with quote

Hi Sabrina,

I promise not to ever underestimate you. Indeed, I am incredibly
impressed with you.

That said, I must take issue with your comment that riveting a kit
together is a no-brainer. I managed to destroy my first XL wing by
trying my best to follow the instructions provided by ZAC. After
scrapping it I decided to mostly ignore the kit instructions and
think through the process of building each piece into the finished
airframe. There was also much fitting and remaking of parts I
destroyed on my first attempts.

I have found the entire process of building an XL from standard kit
very educational. I have been working on mine for over three years
now (but only an hour or two per day) and I still seem to learn
something new every day.

Indeed, I think my brain is the part that has had to work the hardest
building this kit.

Best regards,

Paul
XL getting close
At 06:00 PM 11/12/2008, you wrote:
Quote:

You are not the first and will not be the last to underestimate me.
Actually riveting together an airframe kit is a no brainer.

craig(at)craigandjean.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Cable Tensions for 601XL? Reply with quote

And now they fly Rotax-powered UAVs. I think I'm happier with their present
incarnation Smile

-- Craig

Do not archive

--

hills(at)sunflower.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Cable Tensions for 601XL? Reply with quote

Ya, I guess nuclear reactors falling from the sky was not a very great
concern at the time.

Roger
--

craig(at)craigandjean.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Cable Tensions for 601XL? Reply with quote

Project Orion wasn't powered by a reactor - it was powered by a series of
small atomic bombs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)

I'm certain the cable tension would have been critical Smile

-- Craig

Do not archive
--

hills(at)sunflower.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Cable Tensions for 601XL? Reply with quote

Oh well, now I feel better.

Roger

Project Orion wasn't powered by a reactor - it was powered by a series of
small atomic bombs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)

I'm certain the cable tension would have been critical Smile

-- Craig

Do not archive
--

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Cable Tensions for 601XL? Reply with quote

Dirk,
A look at 90 percent of GA aircraft, including quite few few Jets, show that they use cables. The rods are no better than the cables. the flaw is in the builders not following simple directions to tesnionthe cable. Maybe its becasue cable need vigialance more so than rods. Cables need to be retightened from time to time and maintained. Its not the cable design, its the builders. We are the builders and its funny how people blame everything but the builders.
If I have a problem with my plane, and it is due to something I over looked or neglected, I just look in the mirror as to placing the blame. I believe quite comfortably the design of the aircraft is quite sound. The problems lie in the build and most, the maintenance. Tension the cables, and swage them correctly, and you will be fine, if cables were an issue , they wopuild not have them on most Boeing and Airbus aircraft.
Juan

Juan

--

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Cable Tensions for 601XL? Reply with quote

Thanks DIrk,
Its called Dynamic stability. All plane fly as speed regulated by pitch (trim) and throttle for decent and accent.(lift, weight, drag, thrust)...
I hear you on the cable vs rod debate , i think its not the design though, its the maintenacne issue. ALot of guys building, build their planes and do not realize the maintenance requirement involved. Cables are not set and forget. Maybe that would be the strenght of Rods. I think where allt he accidents have happened for the ecception of a few has been oversight on the ground. A bolt not tightened, a cable not propoerly swaged. Someone second guessing the plans and over torquing, etc...
Juan

--

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Cable Tensions for 601XL? Reply with quote

next time balance the prop, people tend to forget that little part.

--

gburdett

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Cable Tensions for 601XL? Reply with quote

Yes Gig, I stand corrected.

notsew_evets(at)frontiern

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Cable Tensions for 601XL? Reply with quote

Its ok, no offense taken. We all "discuss" what we have learned over
theyears we have been involved in this hobby.
One of my airplanes would not climb as advertised. I would fly along side
other aircraft ( same make and models) and these guys always out climbed me
by at lease 400 FPM.
One day a builder suggested I look at the upward thrust of the engine mount.
Sure enough, the engine crank shaft pointed down. Waaaay down....
Just a few washers under the bottom attach bolts took care of the problem.
Sure if the pilot reduces power the nose will drop, but not much. Just
enough to maintain the current trim speed...
I think if the power was reduced and the airplane nose went straight down,
there is a problem. On the other hand, and this example is waaay out, if
your aircraft, model X65-970, is in level, trimmed flight and the pilot goes
full throttle, and it loops....youve got a problem....
Its not trim, its not angle of incidence. It might be engine position.

Goofy aint I ????

I accept being wrong.. But if so, geeze there are a lot of student pilots
out there flying with my spew of B.S.

Hey, I m the guy who cant even get my 601XL to balance within the
envelope....

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: