Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HDPE fuel tanks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmccune

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: HDPE fuel tanks Reply with quote

I there any pros or cons to having HDPE tanks made, instead of the AL ones.

Kevin

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

"Real freedom is the sustained act of being an individual." WW - 2009

"Life is a good deal...it's worth it" Feb 1969
Dorothy McCune
jgswartout(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: HDPE fuel tanks Reply with quote

Don't get me started. I installed the aluminum tanks but they were a TIGHT fit. In fact I had to put some tapered strips of aluminum on top of the rib flanges, about .050 thick at the critical point adjacent to the rear edge of the tanks, because the tanks were taller at the aft end than the depth of the ribs at that point. If I'd wanted to devote more time to it I might have looked into plastic tanks like those beautiful tanks that come with RANS kits. The other problems with aluminum is there is certain to be oil canning, which may cause the aluminum to fatigue over time. If they ever leak, for any reason, you have to take the wing apart to get them out, a real shortcoming. Maule's have a screw-on cover in the top wing skin for fuel tank access, and excellent idea.

Just my humble $0.02.

John
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 7:31 PM, kmccune <kmccune(at)somtel.net (kmccune(at)somtel.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: "kmccune" <kmccune(at)somtel.net (kmccune(at)somtel.net)>

I there any pros or cons to having HDPE tanks made, instead of the AL ones?

Keivn

--------
Mark Twain: Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Read this topic online here:

[url=http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 14018#214018]http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 14018#214018[/url]

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

kmccune

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: HDPE fuel tanks Reply with quote

So make the ribs and measure them before I give the guy the dimensions? As I was going to have them made to print, just out of HDPE, well I was going to make them slightly larger along the wing cord, but just a little.
I like the screw on cover idea,anyone hear of this being done on a 701 or should I ask Zenith?

Dorothy McCune
jgswartout(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: HDPE fuel tanks Reply with quote

Oh, I didn't know you were scratch-building. I believe I would measure after the ribs are done. I don't know how the screws are secured on the Maule--maybe they just use Tinnerman clips.
Where can you have HDPE tanks made to order?
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 9:34 PM, kmccune <kmccune(at)somtel.net (kmccune(at)somtel.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: "kmccune" <kmccune(at)somtel.net (kmccune(at)somtel.net)>

So make the ribs and measure them before I give the guy the dimensions? As I was going to have them made to print, just out of HDPE, well I was going to make them slightly larger along the wing cord, but just a little.
I like the screw on cover idea,anyone hear of this being done on a 701 or should I ask Zenith?

--------
Mark Twain: Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

[url=http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 14046#214046]http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 14046#214046[/url]

[quote][b]

kmccune

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: HDPE fuel tanks Reply with quote

I stumbled across a guy who does this as part of his regular business. I have not gotten a quot yet, I'm still asking questions. He claims they will be less expensive then the ones from Zenith? I don't want to outright post his contact info yet, because as of yet I have no proof of his product. Though he claims to have made them for Avids and such. We will see, I posted this to see if anyone with more experience in this type of thing had objections. It sounds as though he makes it out of sheet stock and thermal/hot air welds them together. Says he can help with windshield too, though the one from Zenith is kinda nice.

Kevin

Dorothy McCune
bobkat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: HDPE fuel tanks Reply with quote

Yes, I had the same problem. I put 4 tanks in mine, 2 on each wing. I put a sheet of thin cork on the bottom of the wing bay, then tried a tank for fit. I got it in and the it wouldn't come out! No matter what I did! I couldn't believe it, but four of my fellow experienced EAA'rs couldn't budge the thing either! Fortunately it was in the proper place with all the fittings attatched so I just left it there! But I live in fear of it ever starting to leak! I think if that ever happens I'll just use the other tank in the wing and seal off the leaking one.
I had put in two tanks per wing, but would not do that again as I doubt I'd ever have to haul that much gas, but the other tank could save me having to tear my hair out (and the wing apart) to replace a leaking tank!
Do not archinve.
[quote] ---

bobkat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: HDPE fuel tanks Reply with quote

I was going to put screw on covers but abandoned the idea when I saw I
couldn't get the darned things out anyway, and I had a "spare" in each wing.
Do not archinve.
---

dougsnash

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: HDPE fuel tanks Reply with quote

Kevin, I'll be the first to admit that the Zenith welded tanks are not exactly cheap. They are however very nicely welded and are extremely light. I have mine installed in my scratch built wings and they fit perfectly as per the plans.

I am not familiar with HDPE as a material so I cannot comment as to it's suitability for use as a fuel tank. Are there any issues realted to auto fuel campatability? Also, one advantage to a metal fuel tank is the ability to ground it during fueling. I would also expect that the plastic material would be heavier than the 025 aluminum that the factory tanks are made from. As I mentioned above, the factory tanks are extremely light.

Not trying to throw water on your idea, just wanted to add a couple of things to think about. I personally felt that the purchased fuel tanks were well worth what I paid for them.

Doug MacDonald
CH-701 Scratch Builder
NW Ontario, Canada

Do Not Archive

--- On Fri, 11/14/08, kmccune <kmccune(at)somtel.net> wrote:

Quote:
Subject: Re: HDPE fuel tanks
To: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Friday, November 14, 2008, 7:27 AM

"kmccune" <kmccune(at)somtel.net>

I stumbled across a guy who does this as part of his
regular business. I have not gotten a quot yet, I'm
still asking questions. He claims they will be less
expensive then the ones from Zenith? I don't want to
outright post his contact info yet, because as of yet I have
no proof of his product. Though he claims to have made them
for Avids and such. We will see, I posted this to see if
anyone with more experience in this type of thing had
objections. It sounds as though he makes it out of sheet
stock and thermal/hot air welds them together. Says he can
help with windshield too, though the one from Zenith is
kinda nice.

Kevin

kenryan(at)alaska.net

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: HDPE fuel tanks Reply with quote

On a recent tour of the factory, I had the opportunity to pick up and hold a
completed 701 wing tank. I was amazed at how light it is. It weighs almost
nothing at all.

On 14 Nov 2008 at 7:11, MacDonald Doug wrote:

Quote:

Kevin, I'll be the first to admit that the Zenith welded tanks are not exactly cheap. They are however very nicely welded and are extremely light. I have mine installed in my scratch built wings and they fit perfectly as per the plans.

I am not familiar with HDPE as a material so I cannot comment as to it's suitability for use as a fuel tank. Are there any issues realted to auto fuel campatability? Also, one advantage to a metal fuel tank is the ability to ground it during fueling. I would also expect that the plastic material would be heavier than the 025 aluminum that the factory tanks are made from. As I mentioned above, the factory tanks are extremely light.

Not trying to throw water on your idea, just wanted to add a couple of things to think about. I personally felt that the purchased fuel tanks were well worth what I paid for them.

Doug MacDonald
CH-701 Scratch Builder
NW Ontario, Canada

Do Not Archive

--- On Fri, 11/14/08, kmccune <kmccune(at)somtel.net> wrote:

> From: kmccune <kmccune(at)somtel.net>
> Subject: Re: HDPE fuel tanks
> To: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com
> Date: Friday, November 14, 2008, 7:27 AM
>
> "kmccune" <kmccune(at)somtel.net>
>
> I stumbled across a guy who does this as part of his
> regular business. I have not gotten a quot yet, I'm
> still asking questions. He claims they will be less
> expensive then the ones from Zenith? I don't want to
> outright post his contact info yet, because as of yet I have
> no proof of his product. Though he claims to have made them
> for Avids and such. We will see, I posted this to see if
> anyone with more experience in this type of thing had
> objections. It sounds as though he makes it out of sheet
> stock and thermal/hot air welds them together. Says he can
> help with windshield too, though the one from Zenith is
> kinda nice.
>
> Kevin
>

jgswartout(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: HDPE fuel tanks Reply with quote

Hmm... I don't know anything about that type of tank. The ones from Rans appear to be injection molded translucent white plastic, kind of like a flat jerry can, but I don't know the type of plastic. I haven't actually heard of any Zenith tanks failing, after 10 years of lurking around these lists, but I haven't done an archive search on the subject either.

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 8:27 AM, kmccune <kmccune(at)somtel.net (kmccune(at)somtel.net)> wrote:

I stumbled across a guy who does this as part of his regular business. I have not gotten a quot yet, I'm still asking questions. He claims they will be less expensive then the ones from Zenith? I don't want to outright post his contact info yet, because as of yet I have no proof of his product. Though he claims to have made them for Avids and such. We will see, I posted this to see if anyone with more experience in this type of thing had objections. It sounds as though he makes it out of sheet stock and thermal/hot air welds them together. Says he can help with windshield too, though the one from Zenith is kinda nice.

Kevin

--------

[url=http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 14160#214160]http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 14160#214160[/url]

[quote][b]

bobkat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: HDPE fuel tanks Reply with quote

Yes, they are really lightweight, and despite the trouble of shoehoring them
in, I haven't had a bit of trouble with them! Be sure to get the whole wing
bay ready in case you can't get them out like I did. Your first fitting may
be your last! Hah!
---

gburdett

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: HDPE fuel tanks Reply with quote

Rotationally molded cross linked PE is widely used in fuel and other storage tanks. HD linear PE that is fabbed from sheets and thermo -welded may be a little iffy. You can get a lot of good info by simply checking out PE FuelTanks. A 1/4 inch wall manufactured tank might be available from regular sources of after market auto products. They do have a temperature limit which may not be a consideration for your use. I'm not sure the PE would be lighter than aluminum though.

DO NOT ARCHIVE

Last edited by gburdett on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Bolding

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: HDPE fuel tanks Reply with quote

Two other options that might be useful pop up in my feeble mind.

For the scratch builders it would be a simple matter to trace out the main
rib form block on a piece of paper and remove 1/8" (or whatever you feel
comfortable with), make a couple of ribs for the ends and sheet over with
025, sealing everything up with proseal. My RV3 tanks have lasted 30 plus
yrs and 2000 hrs with only one leak.

Another thought , I'm giving SERIOUS thought to this , is just making that
wing bay wet by sealing up the ribs, spar, skins, I will put the opening on
the bottom to keep the top lifting surface as clean as possible. Top and
bottom skins will be 025 in this area. Advantages are , lighter, cheaper,
easier to build and will carry more fuel for the space used. Haven't passed
it by my aero engineer buddies yet but considering the fuel was there anyway
I don't THINK there will be much to change, BUT I'm wrong a lot so we'll
see.

LO&SLO John
---

Curt.Thompson(at)verizon.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: HDPE fuel tanks Reply with quote

Attached is a picture of one of the two tanks I made. I'm scratch building
and made form blocks a little shorter than the wing form blocks. I put a
baffle in the middle to keep the full tank from bulging. I was going to
make the tank deeper but decided I didn't want to mess with the CG. The cap
is an ACS flush mount model. There is an aluminum block in the corner where
the fuel outlet is and the drain plug is also in that area. The vent line
will run up from the bottom in the corner where the cap is (I riveted a 1/4"
aluminum plate and threaded in for an 1/8" NPT fitting). The fuel sender is
the normal one and I got it from an off-road-vehicle supply house. I made a
new ring with threaded holes for the sender to bolt onto and Pro-Sealed it
to the inside of the tank; this was so I could have a larger area for the
sender gasket to seal. There is also a fitting next to the sender for the
fuel return if I go that route (hot fuel system?). Used "closed end"
rivets. I pressure tested it for several days using the balloon method.
The tank is completely enclosed in the wing (not a wet tank system). I put
cork strips between the tank and the skin. I just finished riveting the
wings yesterday (anyone have a cure for hand cramping?).

BTW, I found out that you can clean up Proseal with lacquer thinner.

Curt
Redmond, WA, USA
Scratch building CH701
--

100_2915.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.39 KB
 Viewed:  613 Time(s)

100_2915.JPG

kmccune

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: HDPE fuel tanks Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies, I know it would be heavier then the AL ones, but I don't what to learn to weld AL just for these tanks and I don't want to pay Zenith the asking price for them. I had not considered the grounding issue. What do they do in this case?

I do like the idea of two "Ribs" with pro-seal though, as one of the reasons for looking for something else, was to get about 24 gallons total. 30 years John, thats good enough for me!

Curt,
I really like that tank, what are closed ended rivets? I assume they are not solid rivets, because you would not be able to set the second side. I also assume that you used pro-seal on the joints?

Thanks
Again

Dorothy McCune
Joemotis(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: HDPE fuel tanks Reply with quote

In plastic fuel cans there is a brass pad on the bottom similar to a rivet that is in contact with the fuel and terra firma when you are filling it. (At least when the govt. buys them.) I would surmise that a similar installation with bonding it to the airframe would work. Only surmising here, your mileage may vary. I would also want to think that the ground to the airframe would be a text book example. And not really knowing, maybe being enclosed in the wing would diminish all of the difference in potential.

Joe Motis
do not archive

In a message dated 11/14/2008 2:47:40 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, kmccune(at)somtel.net writes:
Quote:
I had not considered the grounding issue. What do they do in this case?

Get the Moviefone Toolbar. Showtimes, theaters, movie news & more!
[quote][b]

raymondj(at)frontiernet.n

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: HDPE fuel tanks Reply with quote

Greetings,

Has anyone considered making the tanks out of stainless steel or some
other material besides aluminum? I have seen corrosion problems in boats
with aluminum fuel tanks that make me seriously search for alternatives.

Raymond Julian
Kettle River, MN

"Hope for the best,
but prepare for the worst."

do not archive
---

Curt.Thompson(at)verizon.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: HDPE fuel tanks Reply with quote

I got the Closed End Blind Rivets from here:
http://www.hansonrivet.com/w22.htm

The part number is: PASD401H ($58.54 / 1000)

I also got some PASD403H ($13.22 / 100) to attach the flanges.

I think ACS sells something like this too.

Curt

--

infow(at)mts.net

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: HDPE fuel tanks Reply with quote

Hey Curt

Nice tank... good job, I'm scratch building mine also. My tanks will look
just like yours... except for the stub ends. Its nice to see what mine
will look like when I'm done. I'm using 5052 H32 aluminum 0.032 for
tanks... and will also have a baffle. Both tanks will use one 4 x 6 sheet
which is only about $44 at ACS. Since I am making the tanks myself I
decided to make them with the same profile as the wing.

Van's Aircraft... is a good place to get the various flanges(for rivets)
and closed end rivets needed at really good prices. I acquired the
drain(cav-110) flange - VA-112($7.80) with the rivet holes already drilled,
and the closed end rivets AD-41H(1/16" grip) and AD-42H(1/8" grip)
$0.06/per. ACS have the same rivets for $0.18/per... which is nuts. Van's
flanges are already drilled for rivets so it makes it easier to work with,
and are the only place where I could find them. That also goes for the
finger screen flange. I used AN(-4) bulkhead fittings for the vent lines
and return lines.

I was looking at the same ACS flush mounted caps... but not sure how they
can be installed as of yet, have not had time to think about it.
The fuel sender I have is the standard VDO... they wanted $20 for the
install ring and screws... so I made mine out of 1/8 aluminum, very easy to
do.

Again nice tank! If you more photos it would be nice to see the rest of
the tank!

R.D.(Ron) Leclerc
CH701 Plans(Scrap) Builder #7-6699
infow(at)mts.net
11/15/2008 10:45:59 PM

kmccune

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: HDPE fuel tanks Reply with quote

Well I think I've been convinced to build a rivet tank. I was not aware of the blind rivets and I had doubts about the longevity of proseal. So I have decided to build a riveted tank. It allows me to construct it and I can still add a couple of gallons to the total.

I also contacted the guys who I was speaking about and got his permission to post his contact info. Again I have only traded emails buthe seems honest and straight up. Said he could help with the wind shield as well. Not sure if that means formed or what? Anyway, replace the (at) with an (at) and the email will work... "Keith Cardin"kcardin55(at)yahoo.com

Now I just have to build more flanging dies for the wing ribs, hope it doesn't take as long as it did the first time ;^)

Thanks again

Kevin

Dorothy McCune
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: