Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elevator Trim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Elevator Trim Reply with quote

To the list.

Mark and I are finally able to offer the elevator trim tab retrofit for
Model IV and earlier model Kitrfoxes. What we do is a derivative of what
Rans provides for elevator trim - retaining the flat elevator and covering
the servo with a custom made fiberglass bubble cover. Nothing is visible
from the top of the elavator, except, of course the trim tab. See:
http://highwingllc.com/elevatortrim.html for details.

Lowell Fitt
Cameron Park, CA
Model IV-1200 R-912 UL
Currently focusing on the Left Wing, Rudder Gap Seal Cuffs and Landing Gear
Fairing and lots of other things as well.

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
JetPilot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevator Trim Reply with quote

NICE !!! I never liked the flaperon trim of the older models, it is so much more efficient to trim the airplane from the tail, which is exactly where pitch should be controlled... I have been wanting to do this mod for my other airplane, but just never got the time.

With the Kitfox Super Sport, I don't need this, but I would be interested in how much the parts are which look like they would be a perfect fit for my other plane.

Mike

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
patreilly43(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Elevator Trim Reply with quote

Lowell C Your catelog listing includes installation of trim. Are you going to offer the parts in a kit for us do-it-yourselfers C if so when will it be available?

Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuild
Rockford C IL

Quote:
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Elevator Trim
Date: Tue C 25 Nov 2008 15:29:19 -0800

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "Lowell Fitt" <lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net>

To the list.

Mark and I are finally able to offer the elevator trim tab retrofit for
Model IV and earlier model Kitrfoxes. What we do is a derivative of what
Rans provides for elevator trim - retaining the flat elevator and covering
the servo with a custom made fiberglass bubble cover. Nothing is visible
from the top of the elavator C except C of course the trim tab. See:
http://highwingllc.com/elevatortrim.html for details.

Lowell Fitt
Cameron Park C CA
Model IV-1200 R-912 UL
Currently focusing on the Left Wing C Rudder Gap Seal Cuffs and Landing Gear
Fairing and lots of othe============

[quote][b]

JetPilot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Elevator Trim Reply with quote

The parts is what I would be interested in. That is obviously a business venture for them and I would be very happy to pay a fair price for the parts together and them making the fiberglass fairing and make a profit.

Most of us work on our own planes, it just makes no sense to pay shipping to send in the entire elevator, pay shipping for return, and pay for work that we could do ourselves. I really like what they have done, but it seems they are trying to make more money doing the work than selling the parts.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Elevator Trim Reply with quote

Good question, Patrick. Our initial idea was that most owners won't have
the jigging and welding capability. We have three out there as presented.
The parts kit is a good idea and I we will work on that. As for timing,
maybe a week or so to figure costs as this week will include Thanksgiving in
Kansas City.

Lowell

---

clint_bazzill(at)hotmail.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Elevator Trim Reply with quote

Lowell C  I think a kit would be great.  The Model 1 C 2 C and 3's would probably benefit greatly.  I just put the large elevator for the 4 on mine C have about 25 hours on it now.  The shipping for my elevator was about $90 C that isn't that far as I live near San Fransisco.  So round trip fare for an elevator would be over $200 C that would pay for a lot of welding.  My 2 cents worth C P.S. lookis like a nce setup for elevator with no ribs.

Clint

Model IV C 912S with 1400 hours.

[quote] From: lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: Elevator Trim
Date: Wed C 26 Nov 2008 10:37:04 -0800

Good question C Patrick. Our initial idea was that most owners won't have
The parts kit is a good idea and I we will work on that. As for timing C
Kansas City.

Lowell

---

matronics(at)bob.brennan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Elevator Trim Reply with quote

The UK Kitfoxes have a nearly identical setup as part of the build, although Lowell's tab appears to be just a bit bigger which is a good idea. The UK setup uses a simple cable with friction-wheel up front, less to go wrong. Personally I can't see flying a Kitfox without a trim tab - it frees up the flaps to be flaps and puts horizontal trim where it belongs - way out on the pitch axis rather than just behind the C of G where it's way too much drag. Once installed you'll wonder how you ever flew without it. Great work Lowell.

Bob Brennan - N717GB
1991 UK Model 2 ELSA Kitfox
Rotax 582 with 3 blade prop
Wrightsville Pa

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Clint Bazzill
Sent: 26 November 2008 2:31 pm
To: Kitfox list
Subject: RE: Elevator Trim

Lowell, I think a kit would be great. The Model 1, 2, and 3's would probably benefit greatly. I just put the large elevator for the 4 on mine, have about 25 hours on it now. The shipping for my elevator was about $90, that isn't that far as I live near San Fransisco. So round trip fare for an elevator would be over $200, that would pay for a lot of welding. My 2 cents worth, P.S. lookis like a nce setup for elevator with no ribs.

Clint

Model IV, 912S with 1400 hours.

[quote] From: lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 10:37:04 -0800

Good question, Patrick. Our initial idea was that most owners won't have
The parts kit is a good idea and I we will work on that. As for timing,
Kansas City.

Lowell

---

Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Elevator Trim Reply with quote

Now Lowell, that you're all done engineering the elevator trim, how
'bout working on a rudder trim that can be slid under the skin of a
completed and painted plane, such that the installer doesn't have to
weld anything, and the subsequent "damage" to the fabric consists of
nothing more than maybe taping over a slit in the fabric...with
orange tape, of course. If that sounds a little too selfish, I'd
allow for any other color tape to be used. (This will give you
something to dream about while recovering from the intake of too much
tryptophan in Kansas City tomorrow....Happy Thanksgiving, everybody)
And it will free up my time to work on my new skis. : )

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, 593hrs
Sensenich 62x46
flying again after rebuild, and new Electroair direct-fire ignition
system;
also building a new pair of snow skis
do not archive

On Nov 26, 2008, at 2:30 PM, Clint Bazzill wrote:

Quote:
Lowell, I think a kit would be great. The Model 1, 2, and 3's
would probably benefit greatly. I just put the large elevator for
the 4 on mine, have about 25 hours on it now. The shipping for my
elevator was about $90, that isn't that far as I live near San
Fransisco. So round trip fare for an elevator would be over $200,
that would pay for a lot of welding. My 2 cents worth, P.S. lookis
like a nce setup for elevator with no ribs.

Clint

Model IV, 912S with 1400 hours.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Elevator Trim Reply with quote

Mike C I don't know what you have purchased from Lowell C but in my couple of purchases he has bent over backward to be of service and willing to help me save $. If I had designed the trim assembly C was in a bind for income C and had plenty of demand to install C I might not spend the time to service guys like me that want to install their own. But C I'm willing to bet you Lowell makes the kit available for guys like you and me first chance he gets.
do not archive
Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuild
Rockford C IL 

Quote:
Date: Wed C 26 Nov 2008 09:42:25 -0800

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "JetPilot" <orcabonita(at)hotmail.com>

The parts is what I would be interested in. That is obviously a business venture for them and I would be very happy to pay a fair price for the parts together and them making the fiberglass fairing and make a profit.

Most of us work on our own planes C it just makes no sense to pay shipping to send in the entire elevator C pay shipping for return C and pay for work that we could do ourselves. I really like what they have done C but it seems they are trying to make more money doing the work than selling the parts.

Mike

--------
&quot;NO FEAR&quot; - If you have no fear you did not go as fast as you could have !!!

Kolb MK-III Xtra C 912-S

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=216401#216401

Archive Search & Download C 7-Day Browse C Chat C FAQ C
&gt===================

Quote:

[quote][b]

JetPilot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevator Trim Reply with quote

matronics(at)bob.brennan. wrote:
The UK Kitfoxes have a nearly identical setup as part of the build, although Lowell's tab appears to be just a bit bigger which is a good idea. The UK setup uses a simple cable with friction-wheel up front, less to go wrong.

I have to disagree there, a long cable run from to the panel to the tail is way harder to install and maintain in good mechanical condition than a simple switch and wires running back to an electric servo. The electric servo by the Ray Allen company that I think Lowell is using is a very good, reliable piece of equipment that has been around for years.

They also sell a stick grip with buttons on it so you don't have to reach to the panel to trim. The same stick has yaw buttons and with another servo can be used for rudder trim as well. This system is way better than any mechanical trim with cables would be.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Dick Maddux

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Elevator Trim Reply with quote

Well, Mike, It made a lot of sense to me to send the elevator in to have the work done as I did it. The elevator on Lowells web site is mine. I had the stab trim mode done and now I have a new aircraft! I would do it again in a heartbeat! The turn around time was great. All I had to do was paint the elevator and install the kit. Lowell has put a lot of thought and engineering into it and it works great. Not everyone on this list built their Kitfox. I did not build mine. I don't have the honed skills that Lowell does. I can weld, fabric cover,etc but I would rather pay Lowell to have it done right! He fills a void for products that are not available elsewhere. I have his shutters and throttle link also installed in my aircraft. I also have items that I bought from Merle Williams that are also first class. These people are absolutely entitled to any profits they get (which isn't much) They did the development work and produced the product!
        Dick Maddux
        Fox4-1200
        Pensacola,Fl

Finally, one site has it all: your friends, your emai=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000006">Try The NEW AOL.com.
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Elevator Trim Reply with quote

Mike & Kitfoxers C Amen to what Dick has said. I prefer to do as much of the work as possible myself. Some times I copy a design and fabricate the parts if it isn't difficult and I have the right tools. Like Dick C I have done business with both Murle and Lowell and would recommend both of them in a heartbeat. Finding people like them is akin to discovering the motherlode. Both produce C stand behind C and charge a fair price for their products and services and have put in more hours developing and marketing Kitfox mods than I would.

Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuild
Rockford CIL

Date: Thu C 27 Nov 2008 08:35:48 -0500
Well C Mike C It made a lot of sense to me to send the elevator in to have the work done as I did it. The elevator on Lowells web site is mine. I had the stab trim mode done and now I have a new aircraft! I would do it again in a heartbeat! The turn around time was great. All I had to do was paint the elevator and install the kit. Lowell has put a lot of thought and engineering into it and it works great. Not everyone on this list built their Kitfox. I did not build mine. I don't have the honed skills that Lowell does. I can weld C fabric cover Cetc but I would rather pay Lowell to have it done right! He fills a void for products that are not available elsewhere. I have his shutters and throttle link also installed in my aircraft. I also have items that I bought from Merle Williams that are also first class. These people are absolutely entitled to any profits they get (which isn't much) They did the development work and produced the product!
                                                           Dick Maddux
                                                           Fox4-1200
                                                           Pensacola CFl

Finally C one site has it all: your friends C your emai=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000006">Try The NEW AOL.com.
[quote]

ww.matronics.com/contribution
Quote:
ronics.com

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: