Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

N 34 YZ Airworthiness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pennington(at)q.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: N 34 YZ Airworthiness Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Good afternoon everyone

Yesterday was the end of my Lightning build process. She was certified "Airworthy" by the local DAR. Yeah!!!! At long last.
Now, a new era begins....working out the bugs.

First thing this morning, I completed another thorough inspection and then performed taxi tests. All was good...except the warning messages from the EFIS. I am having difficulty programming the EIS, EFIS and the other black boxes. I'm not really computer challenged, but you wouldn't know now. Nothing seems to be communicating with the EFIS. I guess I'm going to have to bother Ben again. Sorry Ben.

After a few tweaks, I lined up on the active runway and applied throttle. With lots of right rudder and a whole lot of anxiety, I zoomed down the pavement. The first startling thing I noticed was the horrible oscillations in the gear legs beginning at about 20 mph. I remembered that other builders experienced the same thing but were able to eliminate it with balancing. So, I continued accelerating. At around 55, I rotated and climbed. The engine turned around 2700 rpms but had a slight vibration. I backed off to about 2600 rpms and it smoothed out. Weird. Warning messages from the EFIS continued squawking but all the temps and pressures were very good.

After turning downwind, I backed off the throttle to approx. 1800 rpm to slow down and apply flaps. I discovered that I need to move my right leg as far down as possible to allow stick clearance for aileron authority. Also, the ailerons don't feel to be balanced. I'll call Mark or Nick for advice.

After turning final, I pulled the throttle off for a nice decent. As it turned out, the idle was too low and the engine died. There was a certain amount of "Pucker Factor" involved at that moment but I was over the threshold and lots of runway ahead, so, I just set it down and rolled out. The transition training I received from Arion was life saving. Thanks guys.

I spent the next several hours adjusting and tweaking. Afterward, I took off again and did five touch and gos. As I said in the beginning, I have bugs to work out but my girl flys! I have attached two photos for interested parties.

Have a great day to all.

Gary Pennington

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
dashvii(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: N 34 YZ Airworthiness Reply with quote

Gary C
   Congratulations on the first flight!  She's a great looking bird.  The vibration at 2700 rpm has to do with your mixture most likely.  I too have hit the idle too low stop.  Good job on getting it down safely.  Fly like it's gonna happen on every flight.  (but fix it so that it doesn't!)  Many have had a gear shimmy C but I don't think anybody has described it as major.  This is probably a point to explore further and get fixed ASAP if it's really that bad.  Many of the other problems are just growing pains.  In 5 hours or so you'll get it all smoothed out.  Good luck and fly safe!  Brian W.

To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Lightning-List: N 34 YZ Airworthiness
Date: Sun C 30 Nov 2008 17:07:34 -0700
Good afternoon everyone

Yesterday was the end of my Lightning build process. She was certified "Airworthy" by the local DAR. Yeah!!!! At long last.
Now C a new era begins....working out the bugs.

First thing this morning C I completed another thorough inspection and then performed taxi tests. All was good...except the warning messages from the EFIS. I am having difficulty programming the EIS C EFIS and the other black boxes. I'm not really computer challenged C but you wouldn't know now. Nothing seems to be communicating with the EFIS. I guess I'm going to have to bother Ben again. Sorry Ben.

After a few tweaks C I lined up on the active runway and applied throttle. With lots of right rudder and a whole lot of anxiety C I zoomed down the pavement. The first startling thing I noticed was the horrible oscillations in the gear legs beginning at about 20 mph. I remembered that other builders experienced the same thing but were able to eliminate it with balancing. So C I continued accelerating. At around 55 C I rotated and climbed. The engine turned around 2700 rpms but had a slight vibration. I backed off to about 2600 rpms and it smoothed out. Weird. Warning messages from the EFIS continued squawking but all the temps and pressures were very good.

After turning downwind C I backed off the throttle to approx. 1800 rpm to slow down and apply flaps. I discovered that I need to move my right leg as far down as possible to allow stick clearance for aileron authority. Also C the ailerons don't feel to be balanced. I'll call Mark or Nick for advice.

After turning final C I pulled the throttle off for a nice decent. As it turned out C the idle was too low and the engine died. There was a certain amount of "Pucker Factor" involved at that moment but I was over the threshold and lots of runway ahead C so C I just set it down and rolled out. The transition training I received from Arion was life saving. Thanks guys.

I spent the next several hours adjusting and tweaking. Afterward C I took off again and did five touch and gos. As I said in the beginning C I have bugs to work out but my girl flys! I have attached two photos for interested parties.

Have a great day to all.

Gary Pennington
Windows Live Hotmail now works up to 70% faster. Sign up today. [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

lbmathias(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: N 34 YZ Airworthiness Reply with quote

Gary,

Congratulations! Your plane looks very nice. I have had gear leg shimmy from almost the beginning also; I upgraded to top of the line tires and had them balanced. It disappeared for a while but now is back on most days if my taxi groundspeed is 18 mph or higher; I have noticed that it is worse if there are two people in the plane. I flew a couple days ago (solo) and didn't feel it at all so it seems to come and go without explanation.

Linda
[quote] ---

N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: N 34 YZ Airworthiness Reply with quote

Great job, Gary, and a good looking "jet" you have there. One thing to try on the gear leg shimmy is to lower the main gear air pressure to 25 to 28 psi and see if that helps.
Blue Skies,
Buz

Life should be easier. So shoom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000002">Try the NEW AOL.com.
[quote][b]

pennington(at)q.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: N 34 YZ Airworthiness Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Thanks Buz and thanks to all who commented for their kind words.
Have a great day.

Gary
[quote] ---

bfisher6858(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: N 34 YZ Airworthiness Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Gary:

CONGRATULATIONS! ! ! On your first flight Gary,
Oh, and your plane and instrument panel look great too!

Bill Fisher
N838BF
Now located at Glendale, AZ (GEU)
with about 90 hours

[quote] ---

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: N 34 YZ Airworthiness Reply with quote

Congrats Gary!
Beautiful looking Lightning!
Rick
N727RB 

[quote] ---

Kayberg(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: N 34 YZ Airworthiness Reply with quote

Good Job GARY!!!

I have to smile at your first flight challenges! My first flight in a Lightning was complete with 1) takeoff into low level scud layer that seemed higher when viewed from the ground, 2) engine quiting on a climbout after simulated approach to an air strip I did not want to land at...because there was no place to go if the engine quit 3) EIS numbers that meant nothing to me 4) banging my right leg with full control travel 5) a landing complete with the hope that it would touch down sometime...since I was out of control movements.

When you read the first flight stuff in magazines, they always seem to have no problems. In the real world, that isnt the case.

Actually my second and third flights had some dumb stuff happen too, from having a gas cap try to escape, having the rudder peddles go the the floor on takeoff because the adjuster spring was too flimsy, having the engine shut down on final because the idle was set too low and more confusion over the EIS. We had vibration too, but that was of a more minor issue.

There is a reason they call it "experimental"

Doug Koenigsberg

In a message dated 11/30/2008 7:12:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, pennington(at)q.com writes:
Quote:

First thing this morning, I completed another thorough inspection and then performed taxi tests. All was good...except the warning messages from the EFIS. I am having difficulty programming the EIS, EFIS and the other black boxes. I'm not really computer challenged, but you wouldn't know now. Nothing seems to be communicating with the EFIS. I guess I'm going to have to bother Ben again. Sorry Ben.

After a few tweaks, I lined up on the active runway and applied throttle. With lots of right rudder and a whole lot of anxiety, I zoomed down the pavement. The first startling thing I noticed was the horrible oscillations in the gear legs beginning at about 20 mph. I remembered that other builders experienced the same thing but were able to eliminate it with balancing. So, I continued accelerating. At around 55, I rotated and climbed. The engine turned around 2700 rpms but had a slight vibration. I backed off to about 2600 rpms and it smoothed out. Weird. Warning messages from the EFIS continued squawking but all the temps and pressures were very good.

After turning downwind, I backed off the throttle to approx. 1800 rpm to slow down and apply flaps. I discovered that I need to move my right leg as far down as possible to allow stick clearance for aileron authority. Also, the ailerons don't feel to be balanced. I'll call Mark or Nick for advice.

After turning final, I pulled the throttle off for a nice decent. As it turned out, the idle was too low and the engine died. There was a certain amount of "Pucker Factor" involved at that moment but I was over the threshold and lots of runway ahead, so, I just set it down and rolled out. The transition training I received from Arion was life saving. Thanks guys.

I spent the next several hours adjusting and tweaking. Afterward, I took off again and did five touch and gos. As I said in the beginning, I have bugs to work out but my girl flys! I have attached two photos for interested parties.

Have a great day to all.

[quote][b]

info(at)flylightning.net

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: N 34 YZ Airworthiness Reply with quote

Doug,

I can think of a few comments but none worth sharing.

Nick Otterback

From: owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Kayberg(at)aol.com
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 3:30 PM
Subject: Re: N 34 YZ Airworthiness

Good Job GARY!!!

I have to smile at your first flight challenges! My first flight in a Lightning was complete with 1) takeoff into low level scud layer that seemed higher when viewed from the ground, 2) engine quiting on a climbout after simulated approach to an air strip I did not want to land at...because there was no place to go if the engine quit 3) EIS numbers that meant nothing to me 4) banging my right leg with full control travel 5) a landing complete with the hope that it would touch down sometime...since I was out of control movements.

When you read the first flight stuff in magazines, they always seem to have no problems. In the real world, that isnt the case.

Actually my second and third flights had some dumb stuff happen too, from having a gas cap try to escape, having the rudder peddles go the the floor on takeoff because the adjuster spring was too flimsy, having the engine shut down on final because the idle was set too low and more confusion over the EIS. We had vibration too, but that was of a more minor issue.

Doug Koenigsberg

In a message dated 11/30/2008 7:12:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, pennington(at)q.com writes:
Quote:

After a few tweaks, I lined up on the active runway and applied throttle. With [i]lots [/i]of right rudder and a whole lot of anxiety, I zoomed down the pavement. The first startling thing I noticed was the horrible oscillations in the gear legs beginning at about 20 mph. I remembered that other builders experienced the same thing but were able to eliminate it with balancing. So, I continued accelerating. At around 55, I rotated and climbed. The engine turned around 2700 rpms but had a slight vibration. I backed off to about 2600 rpms and it smoothed out. Weird. Warning messages from the EFIS continued squawking but all the temps and pressures were very good.

Have a great day to all.

Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/contribution
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Kayberg(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: N 34 YZ Airworthiness Reply with quote

Well, Nick, much of it was your fault. If you had a decent tire on the hybrid, then you could have done a better job checking me out!!!   It was a little humiliating getting towed in by the lawn mower after that skin blew out on landing!!! I just assumed that if I could land that twitchy bitch I could land anything!!!

How were we to know anything, there was no manual back then!!

doug

In a message dated 12/1/2008 4:48:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, info(at)flylightning.net writes:
Quote:

Doug,

Nick Otterback

From: owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Kayberg(at)aol.com

Good Job GARY!!!

When you read the first flight stuff in magazines, they always seem to have no problems.  In the real world, that isnt the case.

Doug Koenigsberg

Quote:

After a few tweaks, I lined up on the active runway and applied throttle. With [i]lots [/i]of right rudder and a whole lot of anxiety, I zoomed down the pavement. The first startling thing I noticed was the horrible oscillations in the gear legs beginning at about 20 mph. I remembered that other builders experienced the same thing but were able to eliminate it with balancing. So, I continued accelerating. At around 55, I rotated and climbed. The engine turned around 2700 rpms but had a slight vibration. I backed off to about 2600 rpms and it smoothed out. Weird. Warning messages from the EFIS continued squawking but all the temps and pressures were very good.

Have a great day to all

[quote][b]

n5pb(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: N 34 YZ Airworthiness Reply with quote

Gary,
Congratulations on yor first flight! You have a very nice aircraft!
I hope you have lots of fun flying her.

Bear Bryant

--

N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: N 34 YZ Airworthiness Reply with quote

In a message dated 12/1/2008 4:31:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, Kayberg(at)AOL.COM writes:
Quote:
1) takeoff into low level scud layer that seemed higher when viewed from the ground, 2) engine quiting on a climbout after simulated approach to an air strip I did not want to land at...because there was no place to go if the engine quit 3) EIS numbers that meant nothing to me 4) banging my right leg with full control travel 5) a landing complete with the hope that it would touch down sometime...since I was out of control movements.

Doug,
I have argued with myself as to whether I should throw in my $.02 on the above flight you mentioned, but then decided what the heck, Doug is thick skinned and obviously the Good Lord was watching after him. Also, maybe someone else can learn from your experience and not make the same decisions (heck, I will go ahead and call it like I see it - not make the same mistakes).

As an EAA flight advisor, I offer the following comments because I like you and that is my job - whether asked or not.
#1 above - based on the weather you picked the wrong day for a first flight.
#2 - also sounds like you did not pick the best airport to be doing a first flight.
#3 - don't make a first flight until you understand the systems and know what they are telling you.
#4 - you needed to have had more cockpit time to identify that kind of thing before any attempt to fly.
#5 - not exactly sure what you mean, but sounds like you were too fast, and maybe on too short a runway.

Yes, these are experimental aircraft, but good training and discipline before each flight will greatly improve the odds of a successful flight - whether that is a first flight or your thousandth. And thank the Lord, He was watching after you that day. Had something happened, the airplane would have probably gotten at least part of the rap, and that would be bad for the entire Lightning community. Again, I write this not to step on any toes, but in hopes that it will cause others to spend more time preparing for their first flights. So, my good friend Doug, I am sorry, but at least your were man enough to write what you did, and I am betting at least part of your reason for doing so was also to educate others. Thank you for that.
Blue Skies,
Buz

Life should be easier.=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000002">Try the NEW AOL.com.
[quote][b]

info(at)flylightning.net

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: N 34 YZ Airworthiness Reply with quote

Doug,

It was an F250 details …details…

Nick

Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 3:57 PM

Well, Nick, much of it was your fault. If you had a decent tire on the hybrid, then you could have done a better job checking me out!!! It was a little humiliating getting towed in by the lawn mower after that skin blew out on landing!!! I just assumed that if I could land that twitchy bitch I could land anything!!!

How were we to know anything, there was no manual back then!!

doug

In a message dated 12/1/2008 4:48:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, info(at)flylightning.net writes:
Quote:

Doug,

Nick Otterback

Good Job GARY!!!

Doug Koenigsberg

Quote:

Have a great day to all

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Colin K.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: N 34 YZ Airworthiness Reply with quote

Congratulations Gary!

Colin K.
OK
Lightning # 52 under construction.
http://www.mykitlog.com/cojaken
[quote]
--

selwyn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: N 34 YZ Airworthiness Reply with quote

That's some lawnmower!
info(at)flylightning.net wrote:
Doug,

It was an F250 details …details…

Nick

Smile

Kayberg(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: N 34 YZ Airworthiness Reply with quote

I do stand corrected by Buz....and others.

My major point is that stuff happens when you fly experimental airplanes. Of course one should do everything to minimize stupidity, but it happens.

Much has changed since my first flight in a real Lightning. There is no reason to fly one without some instruction, since Shelbyville as well as other builders can give some right or left seat time. And Nick can afford to keep good tires on the plane. There is a perfectly good manual for both building and operations. While problems with instrumentation are typical during early flights; by now the parameters are better known. We know that doing some banking while feeding fuel from a low tank can lead to unporting....and engine sputter. I know to double check the springs on the rudder adjust, to double check the fuel caps and build the console with more leg room. We also know how to adjust the prop to cut down on vibration.

First flights are a lot less exciting now at Green Landings. Besides, Ryan does them!

And finally, I am not a great pilot. But I am working at it.

Doug Koenigsberg

In a message dated 12/1/2008 5:35:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM writes:
Quote:
Doug,
I have argued with myself as to whether I should throw in my $.02 on the above flight you mentioned, but then decided what the heck, Doug is thick skinned and obviously the Good Lord was watching after him. Also, maybe someone else can learn from your experience and not make the same decisions (heck, I will go ahead and call it like I see it - not make the same mistakes).

As an EAA flight advisor, I offer the following comments because I like you and that is my job - whether asked or not.
#2 - also sounds like you did not pick the best airport to be doing a first flight.
#3 - don't make a first flight until you understand the systems and know what they are telling you.
#4 - you needed to have had more cockpit time to identify that kind of thing before any attempt to fly.
#5 - not exactly sure what you mean, but sounds like you were too fast, and maybe on too short a runway.

Yes, these are experimental aircraft, but good training and discipline before each flight will greatly improve the odds of a successful flight - whether that is a first flight or your thousandth. And thank the Lord, He was watching after you that day. Had something happened, the airplane would have probably gotten at least part of the rap, and that would be bad for the entire Lightning community. Again, I write this not to step on any toes, but in hopes that it will cause others to spend more time preparing for their first flights. So, my good friend Doug, I am sorry, but at least your were man enough to write what you did, and I am betting at least part of your reason for doing so was also to educate others. Thank you for that.
Blue Skies,
Buz

[quote][b]

info(at)flylightning.net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: N 34 YZ Airworthiness Reply with quote

Doug,

Yes I can keep better tires on her…thanks! More orders and I can put even better ones on…

Nick

Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 6:54 AM

I do stand corrected by Buz....and others.

My major point is that stuff happens when you fly experimental airplanes. Of course one should do everything to minimize stupidity, but it happens.

Much has changed since my first flight in a real Lightning. There is no reason to fly one without some instruction, since Shelbyville as well as other builders can give some right or left seat time. And Nick can afford to keep good tires on the plane. There is a perfectly good manual for both building and operations. While problems with instrumentation are typical during early flights; by now the parameters are better known. We know that doing some banking while feeding fuel from a low tank can lead to unporting....and engine sputter. I know to double check the springs on the rudder adjust, to double check the fuel caps and build the console with more leg room. We also know how to adjust the prop to cut down on vibration.

First flights are a lot less exciting now at Green Landings. Besides, Ryan does them!

And finally, I am not a great pilot. But I am working at it.

Doug Koenigsberg

In a message dated 12/1/2008 5:35:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM writes:
Quote:

Doug,

Blue Skies,

Buz

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

mikej327(at)united.net

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: N 34 YZ Airworthiness Reply with quote

Paul,
Thanks for the CD it was really cool to get it thanks again. I finished your wheelpants and leg fairings last Fri. they are at paint.
Mike
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: