Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fixed my screw up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimmy Young

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: fixed my screw up Reply with quote

Broke my plane in September with a hard landing. Sheared off the left
gearleg socket where the aluminum gearleg ends. Got the welding done
at an FAA Repair Station shop because I have no welding experience at
all. I did everything else with a little help on painting from my
local flying buddies. Finished it over Thanksgiving weekend. It turned
out nice, big thanks to Danny Still in Angleton TX for teaching me to
finish paint. Here are some pics:

Jimmy Young
FS II, Generac Powered
Bailes Field, Angleton, TX

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

DSCN0288.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.57 KB
 Viewed:  210 Time(s)

DSCN0288.jpg

DSCN0290.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  130.53 KB
 Viewed:  218 Time(s)

DSCN0290.jpg

DSCN0360.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  121.62 KB
 Viewed:  205 Time(s)

DSCN0360.jpg

DSCN0387.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  137.66 KB
 Viewed:  200 Time(s)

DSCN0387.jpg

DSCN0388.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.38 KB
 Viewed:  186 Time(s)

DSCN0388.jpg

DSCN0389.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  118.58 KB
 Viewed:  180 Time(s)

DSCN0389.jpg

DSCN0390.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.45 KB
 Viewed:  193 Time(s)

DSCN0390.jpg

DSCN0392.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.27 KB
 Viewed:  209 Time(s)

DSCN0392.jpg

John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: fixed my screw up Reply with quote

Sheared off the left
Quote:
gearleg socket where the aluminum gearleg ends. >
Jimmy Young

Jimmy:

I did that in 1988 to my FS.

During the repairs, we developed 4130 gear legs, extending them all the way
in the socket until they bottomed out at the intersection of the two
sockets. Never had another gear leg shear the socket again, although there
have been many hard landings since then.

Old Kolb designed the system that way. It saved weight and material. It
also created a weak gear leg socket.

john h
Monahans, Texas (West Texas oil fields, where the pumps are pumping.)

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
Jimmy Young

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: fixed my screw up Reply with quote

John H wrote:

Quote:
>>During the repairs, we developed 4130 gear legs, extending them all the way
sockets. Never had another gear leg shear the socket again<<John,I have read most of the archives on the 4130 gearleg topic. I also read Larry Cottrell's posts along the same subject. Since I already had one brand new alum leg, I just ordered one more to save a little time.Changing out to 4130 gearlegs may be the next project in line right behind building an enclosed canopy. I've missed 3 months of the best flying weather here in the Houston area, and those open sides get pretty chilly.I did get another photo taken outside I wanted to share. I know no one is more interested than me in it, but sorry, I feel like a proud papa showing pictures of his new baby!Jimmy YFS II, Angleton TX [img]cid:34AF4C72-7A8A-4590-951E-62DFFA9522B6(at)hsd1.tx.comcast.net.[/img]

DSCN0393.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  594.38 KB
 Viewed:  187 Time(s)

DSCN0393.jpg

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: fixed my screw up Reply with quote

Jimmy, I think it looks great.  Doing a nice job yields pride of ownership that an "out of the box"owner will never have.  Let us know what you think of those fat tires after flying it for a while.
BB
MkIII, suzuki G10

On 6, Dec 2008, at 6:58 AM, Jimmy Young wrote:
Quote:
John H wrote:

Quote:
>>During the repairs, we developed 4130 gear legs, extending them all the way
sockets. Never had another gear leg shear the socket again<<John,I have read most of the archives on the 4130 gearleg topic. I also read Larry Cottrell's posts along the same subject. Since I already had one brand new alum leg, I just ordered one more to save a little time.Changing out to 4130 gearlegs may be the next project in line right behind building an enclosed canopy. I've missed 3 months of the best flying weather here in the Houston area, and those open sides get pretty chilly.I did get another photo taken outside I wanted to share. I know no one is more interested than me in it, but sorry, I feel like a proud papa showing pictures of his new baby!Jimmy YFS II, Angleton TX  <DSCN0393.jpg>

[quote][b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: fixed my screw up Reply with quote

Jimmy Y:

I don't think I did a very good job of explaining my most important point of my last msg. Old Kold designed the gear legs to end at the midpoint of the socket, the weakest point of the socket. That is why it sheared when you landed a little hard.

Didn't take rocket science to figure out pushing the leg all the way into the socket until it bottomed out would spread the load through out the entire socket, instead of concentrating it at the midpoint which is weakest. Acts like a shear.

john h
Vernon, Tx
[quote]
Quote:
I have read most of the archives on the 4130 gearleg topic. I also read Larry Cottrell's posts along the same subject. Since I already had one brand new alum leg, I just ordered one more to save a little time. Jimmy Y

[b]

Titus, Alabama
williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Fixed my screw up Reply with quote

Jimmy- Looks great, but how hard did you hit? Any other damage? My right leg bent back, but the bend ended at the entry point of the "Y". No damage to the steel "Y". I have the old 1" aluminum legs, and I tried to remove the aluminum bushing. I will probably have to drill or ream it out.

Bill Sullivan
Windsor Locks, Ct.
[quote][b]

HShack(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: fixed my screw up Reply with quote

I made a post about 3 yrs. ago about this same thing. Fortunately, the socket broke after taxiing about 30 ft. from the hangar. The other socket was almost broken, also. I bought a new cage instead of welding [glad I did 'cause I got the new style stick].

If you have a FSII kitted before '97 [maybe even later than that], then you may have the short gear legs & are headed for a major repair if you don't replace with the longer ones.

Howard Shackleford
FS II
SC
In a message dated 12/6/2008 2:08:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com writes:
Quote:
Old Kold designed the gear legs to end at the midpoint of the socket, the weakest point of the socket. That is why it sheared when you landed a little hard

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites ianity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010">Try it now.
[quote][b]

HShack(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: fixed my screw up Reply with quote

I never had a hard landing; it was just metal fatigue from maybe 1500 landings.

Howard Shackleford
FS II
SC
In a message dated 12/6/2008 5:32:45 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, HShack(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
Quote:
Old Kold designed the gear legs to end at the midpoint of the socket, the weakest point of the socket. That is why it sheared when you landed a little hard

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, anp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010">Try it now.
[quote][b]

Jimmy Young

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: fixed my screw up Reply with quote

Quote:
Bill Sullivan wrote:>>Jimmy- Looks great, but how hard did you hit?- Any other damage?<<Bill,I hit pretty darn hard. Didn't knock the breath out of me or anything, but I think I was at least 15' over the runway, maybe even more, when I stalled it. Dropped like a rock. I've already beat myself up over all the things I did wrong and what I should have done. I accepted the fact that it's time to get her fixed and lucky I didn't get hurt.No other damage other than I knocked the strobe light off the left wingtip. I hope you are recovering well from your mishap, best wishes to you.I flew the plane today for the first time in 3 months. I was a bit apprehensive during preflight, really took my time and did a triple check of everything. It was a thrill to take off and fly again, and once I was up about 500', my apprehension turned to the pleasure that flying these great planes is. The plane handled superb, just like it always has. I got in 2.5 hours of flight and 10 landings with perfect flying weather, 60-65 deg. and 5 mph winds.I had put on new wing strut fairings, and I guess I should have riveted them with the tube set to the very front of the fairing instead of right down the middle. I was a good 20 miles from home I suddenly noticed my right side fairing violently fluttering. I grabbed it with my right hand and flew back to the airport holding it the whole way, and found that both fairings had worked their way free of the rivet heads. I just took them off and flew without them. I really didn't notice any change either, but I only cruise about 50 - 55 mph. I'm thinking about putting on my old smaller tires in place of the tundra tires I have. I think they slow me down more than anything else. It was so nice to be back in the air flying, can't wait to go back tomorrow morning and enjoy what should be more great aviating weather.Howard Shackleford wrote:>> If you have a FSII kitted before '97 [maybe even later than that], then you >>Jimmy- Looks great, but how hard did you hit?- Any other damage?<<
Quote:
>>Jimmy- Looks great, but how hard did you hit?- Any other damage?<<
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
7 [quote][b]

lcottrell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: fixed my screw up Reply with quote

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: