Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rudder Cable Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
txpilot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Rudder Cable Issues Reply with quote

Is there anyone who experienced problems running their rudder control cables? I'm finding difficulty with the cables hitting aluminum in several spots.

First, the plans call for a cut in the fuselage side skin 45mm forward of the front horizontal tail frame. On my plane, that measurement was way off. The rudder cable rubs against the fuselage side at the front of the 'oval'. I've had to enlarge that hole considerably more forward. It's bordering on the front of the rudder cable fairlead. To solve the problem, I've riveted a second nylon bearing on the inside of the fuselage, forward of the cutout, to force the cable away from the aluminum.

The second issue is the L brackets riveted on the fuselage bottom skin. I haven't tightened the cable all the way, but it seems the cable will be rubbing against a couple of those L brackets also. I'm thinking about installing another nylon bearing on one of these L brackets with a drilled hole to pass the cable through. The higher I position the hole, the better my chances of letting the cable clear the L brackets; but it could also offer more resistance on the cable -- bad news for flight controls.

I checked my dimensions on 7F6-1 bottom channel to make sure my hole position was correct for the rudder cables. I really can't seem to find what I'm doing wrong here. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan Ginty
N787DG

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
JohnDRead(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Rudder Cable Issues Reply with quote

Dan;
The lower corner brackets are supposed to be cut away so that the rudder cables do not rub on them. It is shown in the drawings and in the pictorials. There are fairleads positioned near the oval holes which the cables rub against. The cables do not run straight other than between the various fairleads.

John Read

Phone: 303-648-3261
Fax: 303-648-3262
Cell: 719-494-4567

Stay in touch with ALL of your friends: update your AIM, Bebo, Fac?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000012">The NEW AOL.com.
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

txpilot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rudder Cable Issues Reply with quote

Quote:
Dan;
The lower corner brackets are supposed to be cut away so that the rudder cables do not rub on them. It is shown in the drawings and in the pictorials.

Yes, thanks John. I did trim those away according to plans. I was referring to the L brackets those gussets are attached to (that make up most of the airplane). I was curious if anyone had to trim away the bottom L brackets for the cable clearance.

Dan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: