Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overhead console
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raddatz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Overhead console Reply with quote

For those of you looking for the overhead console, its finally ready and fitting perfect to look at it go to nonstopaviation.com or I believe you can also contact Stein from SteinAir because he is putting together a package deal to include our overhead with his vents, lights and switches. Sorry for the advertisement but I know a lot of people where looking for an overhead.
Steve Raddatz

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
msausen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Overhead console Reply with quote

Holy cr(at)p! Is that thing gold plated for $640?!? I would hope at least carbon fiber. At least it has free shipping.

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

william(at)gbta.net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Overhead console Reply with quote

I personally thought it sounded a little high myself, however, I'm sure lots
of work went into designing it and coming up with a finished product. I
guess they can ask whatever amount they want for it. The market will let
them know if they're overpriced or not. I will probably go the chevrolet
overhead console route if I ever get to that point. It already has the
light bezels in it so It should be a fairly easy install--not to mention a
Hell of a lot cheaper from a salvage yard!!! (Anybody else done this?)
---

WMD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Overhead console Reply with quote

Folks,
FWIW - the Accurate Air console was considerably more (I know this as I purchased one of the last ones from Stein). Haven't unpacked it, but looking at the finish of Steve's unit versus pictures I have seen of the Accurate Air unit - the new one appears to be significantly better.

Just a thought.
Bill

ricksked(at)embarqmail.co

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Overhead console Reply with quote

Yes, it was more but it included the aluminum vents and the lights which adds up to about $400, Tony told me his cost on the vents were about $85 each, Stein sells them for about 495 IIRC so by the time you add them to the cost of just the overhead your at $1000. Same as Accuracy...I like mine. I wish the interior of the cabin top was Gel coated like the overhead is/was.

Rick S.
---

msausen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Overhead console Reply with quote

A bunch of people have done this including myself. It was originated by a member of my former chapter, EAA983, Jim Erskine. I picked up a brand new one that a dealer had ordered for someone but they never picked it up. It was less than $50 on eBay if I remember correctly.

To make it fit I taped the bottom of it with professional release tape (aka packing tape), positioned it in the place I wanted it on the cabin lid, and went to town with professional molding foam (aka urethane foam door and window gap sealer). Once the foam hardened I sculpted it with a professional sculpting tool I acquired from the local Wal-Mart for about $9 in the knife area (aka electric knife). I then covered it with micro and some ply's in strategic places. For the hard points I took a piece of AL HVAC tape, made a small cylinder, put in a chunk of AL, and filled with flox. Drilled and tapped.

All told I probably have $65 in it counting the knife and spent less than 10 hours on it. The lights are all in the correct places for use and it will look very nice once the headliner is in. Still haven't figured out a good use for the spot where the factory compass readout went though.

Michael
--

msausen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Overhead console Reply with quote

I hear one of Accuracy's old employees is still making the overhead consoles for about half of this new one, somewhere in the low $300's. I'm sure if anyone has contact info they will share it.

Michael

--

ricksked(at)embarqmail.co

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Overhead console Reply with quote

That would be Eric McDonald, his email address is below.

Rick Sked

eric(at)redmondair.com

---

bgill1(at)charter.net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Overhead console Reply with quote

I did the same thing and it worked out great. I did change the lights over to safety red LEDs with a blue LED cabin illumination light. I did use the compass bay to add in a 9V transistor battery backup with a switch on a plate where the compass was. Thus if a total power out, I can reach up and have decent panel illumination via the 9V battery backup.

Byron
N253RV assigned - Hopefully early next year for flight!

---- "RV Builder (Michael Sausen)" <rvbuilder(at)sausen.net> wrote:
Quote:

A bunch of people have done this including myself. ...>

Quote:
To make it fit I taped the bottom of it with professional release tape (aka packing tape), positioned it ....>

Quote:
All told I probably have $65 in it counting the knife and spent less than 10 hours on it. The lights are all in the correct places for use and it will look very nice once the headliner is in. Still haven't figured out a good use for the spot where the factory compass readout went though.

Michael

stein(at)steinair.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Overhead console Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

There are lots of "I heard" things out there. First, let's dispell some
mis-truths. Accuracy never actually made their own overhead consoles,
center consoles or panels. They came from another guy who did them in
Oregon. Their price was significantly (and I mean SIGNIFICANTLY) higher
than $625.

Next, they were never $300. If someone is selling them for $300 then I'd be
a little cautious as I know what they cost in just materials and labor.
Fit/finish was never one of the strong points for the fiberglass parts from
Accuracy...even at the high prices. At low prices I'd be carefull.

Lastly, the whole reason I'm not selling the "old Accuracy" overheads
anymore is that frankly they didn't fit all that perfectly or all that well
to begin with. I don't know who pulled the mold for that unit, but for
whatever reason it didn't fit perfectly.

So, in the end I worked with Raddatz to come up with a replacement at a
lower cost. This is a quite a bit lower cost than the Accuracy units were.
We will bundle it with 4 vents and 4 LED at a discount if anyone is
interested. $1200 if you want the nice swivel maplights (4 ea, any color),
or $1050 for the single bulmg LED eyeball lights and 4 vents (black or
silver).

I'm not pushing these really hard, but have had a lot of people interested
in them. Surprisingly, I had a lot more people who would have purchased more
of the old Accuracy units at significantly more money if I had them.
Instead, I have these that are more affordable.

Believe me, nobody is getting rich off of these things and in the world of
glass made parts they are not that unreasonable.

My 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

do not archive

[quote]--

woxofswa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Overhead console Reply with quote

Stein,

I am 90% sure that I will be purchasing the Airflow systems A/C package. How would your setup work with their A/C or compare to what they offer?
If they will allow me to delete the console, I would just as soon get what you are offering.

n212pj(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Overhead console Reply with quote

For those who don't need the full length, or who might want one up front and
one in the rear, don't forget Dave's:

http://www.aircraftersllc.com/products.htm

At $150, might be all you'd want or need. Haven't bought one, but did see
it up close and in use. Nice. It's what I'm considering. However, it sure
would be nice to have a full unit for less than $100, like the Chevy models.
I like the 9 volt battery backup idea.

John Jessen

do not archive

--

AV8ORJWC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Overhead console Reply with quote

Michael, let me formally retract here on this forum my comment as to
Steve's level of contribution to the RV-10 list. At our annual
Christmas Party for Van's EAA Chapter 105 (last Friday), I was
rightfully put in my place that Steve is the most prolific professional
builders of RV-10s in the US. Sorry Jesse. His latest delivery to a
close friend here in Oregon was quoted as being "Probably the finest
built RV-10 yet". The purchaser's last plane was a professionally built
RV-8 which took OSH awards and we can expect his RV-10 purchase will be
submitted for awards as well.

Many on this forum are looking for new products, improved services as
well as accurate and valued advise. Steve may indeed have a winner in
his new product.

I am sitting in a self imposed "Time Out" for speaking out on Pro
Builders and their contributions. Everyone should give the product a
thorough consideration. Of course nothing wrong with Debbie's
contribution as the first pioneer or your financial commitment to
General Motors in their time of need and woeful response to our state of
affairs.

John Cox - KUAO

do not archive

--

raddatz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Overhead console Reply with quote

Ok heres how this came to be. I purchased three overhead consoles from Tony, the first one costing $1895 and that included lights, vents and DVD player and the fit was bad. I called Tony and reported the fitting problems and sent pictures. Then I ordered number two only this time No DVD player and my cost was $1200 with lights and vents, i had to buy switches and wire and mount everything and when it showed up the fit had not changed. I then called Tony and ordered a third overhead which was going to fit better and this time the price was $1350 no DVD just lights and vents I had to buy the switches and mount and wire and the fit still hadn't changed. Thats when I decided to make my own mold and make some changes for what I think is the better. First off the number one reason I install the overheads is so I can run fresh air to all seats via two Naca vents located behind the baggage compartment, because keeping cool is the most important thing. The added benefits are overhead lighting a place to mount a DVD player a place to run wires for overhead antenna's like Traffic or GPS and a way to hide them ugly door hinge sockets. If your just looking for a way to put in overhead lighting or sun glass holder then by all means save your money and find a cheaper alternative.
Steve

toaster73(at)embarqmail.c

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Overhead console Reply with quote

Just to reiterate "you can" do this yourself . If you can do all the
fiberglass work on the 10 you can make a console. I used blue foam and
molded the console in place, glassed it in place and then released it to get
the blue foam out, finally epoxied back on for good. Just takes time and the
will to do it.
-Chris Lucas

do not archive

PICT2186_(Medium).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.7 KB
 Viewed:  606 Time(s)

PICT2186_(Medium).JPG

robin1(at)mrmoisture.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Overhead console Reply with quote

I purchased the AA Overhead Console fully loaded. I believe I "got a deal" on pricing but I have no recollection of what that pricing was at the time. To say they were a poor fit was an understatement. But with enough filling & sanding, filling & sanding the thing came together real well.
http://www.painttheweb.com/rv-10/console.htm
Now the bad news... I opted to include the DVD player with my purchase to minimize the "Are We There Yet?" syndrome. Unfortunately the location of the DVD is absolutely absurd. With the rear seats in place the DVD screen is about 12" from the PAX face. A properly designed console could have moved the DVD player 10", 12" maybe 14" forward dramatically improving the viewing angle for the users. As it is now I have added a heavy, expensive, nearly useless option to my plane with no real recourse.
If I were to do it again I would either (option 1) build two screens into the back of the front seat headrests (like Chris J) and drive the screens off of the pop up DVD player in the panel or (option 2) I would just hang a portable DVD player off the back of the seat when needed. (option 3) Keep yelling “No were not there yet, cant you see we are still flying?”
So I don’t seem totally negative the added air flow is fantastic!
My 2 cents,
Robin

[quote][b]

geoff Combs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Overhead console Reply with quote

I find it hard to believe that anyone would post a negative reply when someone is trying to provide a good product for a reasonable price.
This has been a big discussion as who sells a overhead console. When someone does come out with one he gets bashed because of price.
I have been doing custom fiberglass for over 20 years as part of my business and what Steve is offering is well worth the money. I have seen many pieces of fiberglass parts that are poor quality but this overhead
is well worth the money. If you are spending over 120k on a airplane and you would like a nice overhead console spend the money. If you want to do it yourself have at it. Go spend 3-4 days when you could be doing something else on your airplane. Don't dog a guy for making a nice product. I could have made these but I looked at the time and money it cost and found $640.00 a steal. This overhead has many advantages as stated previously and solves many other issues that in the long run will save time and some money.

Geoff

indigoonlatigo(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Overhead console Reply with quote

OR........

Do NOt Archive

Quote:
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Overhead console
Date: Tue C 16 Dec 2008 20:22:52 -0500

molded the console in place C glassed it in place and then released it to get
the blue foam out C finally epoxied back on for good. Just takes time and the
will to do it.
-Chris Lucas

do not archive

overhead_1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  214.02 KB
 Viewed:  471 Time(s)

overhead_1.JPG

Overhead_2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  239.4 KB
 Viewed:  475 Time(s)

Overhead_2.JPG

Overhead_3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.06 KB
 Viewed:  480 Time(s)

Overhead_3.JPG

Overhead_4.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  316.39 KB
 Viewed:  454 Time(s)

Overhead_4.JPG

Overhead_5.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.24 KB
 Viewed:  461 Time(s)

Overhead_5.JPG

Overhead_6.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  150.12 KB
 Viewed:  462 Time(s)

Overhead_6.JPG

indigoonlatigo(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Overhead console Reply with quote

And the final product...foam and fiberglass is fun!!!

JOhn G. 409 Do Not Archive

Quote:
Date: Tue C 16 Dec 2008 20:22:52 -0500

molded the console in place C glassed it in place and then released it to get
the blue foam out C finally epoxied back on for good. Just takes time and the
will to do it.
-Chris Lucas

do not archive

Finished_overhead_1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  143.72 KB
 Viewed:  471 Time(s)

Finished_overhead_1.JPG

Finished_overhead_2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  121.37 KB
 Viewed:  395 Time(s)

Finished_overhead_2.JPG

Finished_overhead_3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  126.94 KB
 Viewed:  470 Time(s)

Finished_overhead_3.JPG

Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Overhead console Reply with quote

John,

Looks great!

What did you cover it with and what are the red buttons for?

Phil

Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 12:57 AM
To: RV 10 group
Subject: RE: Overhead console

And the final product...foam and fiberglass is fun!!!

JOhn G. 409 Do Not Archive

Quote:
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 20:22:52 -0500

molded the console in place, glassed it in place and then released it to get
the blue foam out, finally epoxied back on for good. Just takes time and the
will to do it.
-Chris Lucas

do not archive

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: