Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternator/VR Replacement for the CJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChangDriver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Alternator/VR Replacement for the CJ Reply with quote

I installed the B&C alternator and VR on my CJ. George Coy had the mounting plates. Barry Hancock has had a machine shop replicate them so they are available from two sources.

www.bandcspecialty.com - The alternator on their site is a 35 amp model. They can make a higher amp version if needed. This alternator uses their LS-1A 28 volt voltage regulator. The alternator lists for $780 and the VR is $268. Add the mounting plate shipping/handling and installation time/wiring.

Installation on the Housai requires a shaft seal to prevent oil from getting into the alternator.

Anyone thinking about installing an EFIS or other expensive avionics should consider this as an option. A generator overvoltage condition could be a costly situation otherwise.

Craig

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
dougsappllc(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Alternator/VR Replacement for the CJ Reply with quote

Craig,
Make that 3 sources as I have the the alterntor mounting plate with seal in stock also.

Always Yakin,
Doug
On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 5:44 AM, Craig Winkelmann <capav8r(at)gmail.com (capav8r(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Yak-List message posted by: "Craig Winkelmann" <capav8r(at)gmail.com (capav8r(at)gmail.com)>

I installed the B&C alternator and VR on my CJ. George Coy had the mounting plates. Barry Hancock has had a machine shop replicate them so they are available from two sources.

www.bandcspecialty.com - The alternator on their site is a 35 amp model. They can make a higher amp version if needed. This alternator uses their LS-1A 28 volt voltage regulator. The alternator lists for $780 and the VR is $268. Add the mounting plate shipping/handling and installation time/wiring.

Installation on the Housai requires a shaft seal to prevent oil from getting into the alternator.

Anyone thinking about installing an EFIS or other expensive avionics should consider this as an option. A generator overvoltage condition could be a costly situation otherwise.

Craig

Read this topic online here:

[url=http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 21771#221771]http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 21771#221771[/url]

--
Always Yakin,
Doug Sapp
Phone 509-826-4610
Fax 509-826-3644
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

keithmckinley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator/VR Replacement for the CJ Reply with quote

Craig,

I agree that the alternator would provide a more stable power source but it is not immune from overvoltage (most likely from a faulty VR). A Transorb surge protector and a fuse would be a nice backup.

Keith

yakplt(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Alternator/VR Replacement for the CJ Reply with quote

Keith, not meaning to disagree but, just to add to what you said. A Transorb is usually designed to protect against very short duration voltage spikes. They are great for EMP type lightning pulse surges and also inductive field kicks. Nothing wrong with putting them in an airplane, other than the fact that they can act as a fuse when their ratings are exceeded and simply blow up. Of course putting a real fuse in series (like you suggested) will help prevent that. Voltage Regulator over-voltage failures are usually not transient, but instead sustained. Typically the easy way to protect from voltage regulator failure is with some type of crowbar circuit where when an over-voltage (sustained) condition occurs (over a certain "set" voltage), a short circuit occurs that then blows a circuit breaker, which then opens a relay, which then totally disconnects the power generation source from the aircraft mains. The small B&C Alternator offers a kit that does exactly that. The bigger B&C has that design protection built right into their voltage regulator itself. (Good product!)

Being the cheap SOB that I am, I have stayed with the original generator design because all those folks that are switching to alternators make the price for spare parts pretty darn cheap. I can usually find a used generator for about $100. Compare that to getting a new alternator for example. Just my 2 cents.

Mark Bitterlich

To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 11:32:12 PM
Subject: Re: Alternator/VR Replacement for the CJ

--> Yak-List message posted by: "keithmckinley" <keith.mckinley(at)townisp.com (keith.mckinley(at)townisp.com)>

Craig,

I agree that the alternator would provide a more stable power source but it is not immune from overvoltage (most likely from a faulty VR). A Transorb surge protector and a fuse would be a nice backup.

Keith

--------
Keith McKinley
700 HS
KFIT

Read this topic online here:

keithmckinley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator/VR Replacement for the CJ Reply with quote

Mark,

Excellent information! I must admit though, a bit above my pay grade!

While I lust after everything digital, EFIS, and EMS I have only my little digital EGT gauge to protect and I like you am a cheap SOB.

Is that a Marine thing?

Cheers,

Keith

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: