Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Everybody ground loops?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n85ae

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Everybody ground loops? Reply with quote

This is the day for confession's, eh?

I ground looped my Series 5 on pavement, with 8.50x6 tires, on a windy
gusty day. No damage other than to my ego. My hangar neighbors
groundlooped their Luscombe. The Supercub driver in the next row
of hangars from mine ground looped his supercub. Another kitfox
driver I know has groundlooped his three times. My taildragger instructor
groundlooped a Citabria ...

Actually almost every taildragger driver I know who flies frequently has
groundlooped. The only damage that I know of in all the above was to
the luscombe. The other kitfox driver messed up a wheel pant, but
otherwise no other damage.

I think the honest truth is that it's likely if you fly taildraggers that
it will happen to you one day.

On the other hand I've seen a lot of trigears that got nose strut damage
from bad landings as well, particularly C182's. So nothing in flying is
completely without risk.

Regards,
Jeff

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
JetPilot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Everybody ground loops? Reply with quote

Hull insurance rates for Taildraggers are significantly higher than they are for tricycle gear airplanes. The numbers have bee there for many years, if you fly a taildragger, you run a much higher risk of damaging your airplane, period. There is a good reason that the vast majority of airplanes manufactured today are tricycle gear.

I have flown taildraggers a lot, and never even close to a ground loop. But when I ordered my Kitfox list, there was no question that I would build it with tricycle gear. I find the tailwheel to limiting in crosswinds. I can comfortably land a tricycle gear airplane in much greater crosswinds without the risk of damaging the airplane than I can a taildragger. I have nothing to prove and could care less about impressing anyone by flying a taildragger, I want what works best - Tricycle Gear.

Mike

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Paul A. Franz, P.E.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Everybody ground loops? Reply with quote

On Wed, December 31, 2008 7:45 am, JetPilot wrote:
Quote:

Hull insurance rates for Taildraggers are significantly higher than they are for
tricycle gear airplanes. The numbers have bee there for many years, if you fly a
taildragger,

I believe you're correct although it might not be so much the gear configuration as
the intended use and purpose of the aircraft. Thinking about the reasons for selecting
a conventional gear plane vs a tricycle gear the first thing that comes to mind is
getting more prop clearance. You don't need that on a paved runway. You need it on
tall grass and gravel and rough runways. Of course there are several more reasons,
most of which point to the intended use is landing and take-offs on rough, short, and
un-improved runways. So, it might not be the gear selection but rather the aircraft
purpose that represents the risk. One way to compare that is if you looked at
conventional gear aircraft with fancy wheel pants and compared their accident rates to
those of aircraft of the same type with tricycle gear, I'd be willing to bet that
there wasn't near the difference in hull insurance claims. After all, the difference
is nil when in flight.

Quote:
you run a much higher risk of damaging your airplane, period. There is
a good reason that the vast majority of airplanes manufactured today are tricycle
gear.

While I agree in concept, you need to be careful developing the defining risk. While
this is fact when applied to *ALL* pilots and aircraft as a group, it isn't as
relevant to a particular pilot who is accomplished with conventional gear. For
example, select large group of very experienced conventional gear operators and
compare their accident rates with that same group's experience in tricycle aircraft
and probably the difference if any is less than what it is for the public at large.

Quote:

I have flown taildraggers a lot, and never even close to a ground loop. But when I
ordered my Kitfox list, there was no question that I would build it with tricycle
gear. I find the tailwheel to limiting in crosswinds. I can comfortably land a
tricycle gear airplane in much greater crosswinds without the risk of damaging the
airplane than I can a taildragger.

That shows that you selected the gear configuration based on the most important
anticipated operating condition too. Greater crosswind capability and comfort was more
important than propeller clearance.

It would be interesting to look at actual flight test info such as can be found in the
operator's manual for a C170 vs C172 or a C182 vs a C185. I believe that I once saw
the comparison for max crosswind capability for the latter comparison. Something like
15 knots vs 15-20 knots. In both cases, I believe pilots regularly exceed those
numbers anyhow.

Quote:
I have nothing to prove and could care less about
impressing anyone by flying a taildragger, I want what works best - Tricycle Gear.

There is another factor in the selection too, that is aesthetics. When I look at a
C-140, I visualize beauty in design. I don't get that feeling when looking at a
Tomahawk or a C-152. Just like I like the looks of a Harley Fatboy far more than that
of a high performance cafe racer. I like the purpose of my tail dragger selection
better too. Rugged, off airport performance. That purpose is probably far riskier than
the fact it's a tail dragger.

When that aspect came up during the demo flight of my airplane in Muskegon, Al Pike
was the pilot and I was just the passenger. He landed the airplane touching down at
the intersection of intersecting runways lined up in the direction to experience the
greatest crosswind. He touched down right at the intersection and induced what you'd
think would be a ground loop, sliding the aircraft on its main gear swinging the tail
downwind and coming to a complete stop, nose into the wind at a distance less than the
width of the runway. I was convinced that even a botched landing would be pretty safe.

--
Paul A. Franz
Registration/Aircraft - N14UW/Merlin GT
Engine/Prop - Rotax 914/NSI CAP
Bellevue WA
425.241.1618 Cell

Bellevue WA
425.241.1618 Cell
425.440.9505 Office
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
matronics(at)bob.brennan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Everybody ground loops? Reply with quote

Paul,

I am a taildragger driver and much prefer it to the tricycle gear airplanes
I have trained on, but I have to question your statement below in defense of
taildraggers - "more prop clearance". I know it is possible to take off with
the tail still on the ground, and the favored landing is a "3-pointer", but
I think most taildraggers will raise the tail asap on takeoff, for me that's
usually less than 2 seconds into the roll. So for most of my takeoff roll,
most of the time, it is rolling the same as a tricycle gear in terms of prop
clearance.

I can hear your response as "Ah, but you have the choice" and also recall
soft-field training in a tricycle with the yoke in my lap to get the
nosewheel out of the grass/mud asap. So maybe a better point would be that
taildraggers always offer soft-field short-field performance? Also -
wouldn't rolling with the tail down in a taildragger be somewhat
counterproductive due to the large increase in drag due to the high
angle-of-attack and not travelling inline with the thrust vector?

Quote:
From a taildragger-lover, on which lady-friends might agree - enquiring
minds want to know...

Bob Brennan - N717GB
ELSA Repairman, inspection rated
1991 UK Model 2 ELSA Kitfox
Rotax 582 with 3 blade prop
Wrightsville Pa

--

JetPilot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Everybody ground loops? Reply with quote

Paul wrote a very good article addressing some valid points, but it does not change the reality. A Cessna 140 Taildragger is much more likely to be damaged in landings than a Cessna 150 Tricycle gear plane. Just check the insurance rates that are based on many years of accident data if you doubt this fact.

As far as ground loops in ktifoxes, just do a search here on Matronics on " Ground Loop " and see how many Kitfoxes have had major damage due to being ground loops - Its a common way to destroy or do major damage to a Kitfox, and they were all taildraggers. Many more Kitfoxes have been in ground loops and been lucky enough to avoid damage, its a roll of the dice....

As far as limitations, I and the vast majority of people never fly off of grass so high that need the extra prop clearance of a taildrgger. The limitation that we VERY OFTEN run into is crosswinds, and crosswinds are much better handled by a tricycle gear airplane. With a tricycle gear airplane, I can fly on many more days of the year than I can with a taildragger when there is a significant crosswind. I have owned both taildraggers and Nosewheel airplanes, and seen the limitations and benefits of each. Tricycle gear won hands down when it was time to chose which one would be on my Kitfox.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
matronics(at)bob.brennan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Everybody ground loops? Reply with quote

Quote:
I have owned both taildraggers and Nosewheel airplanes, and seen the
limitations and benefits of each. Tricycle gear won hands down when it was

time to chose which one would be on my Kitfox.

That's why there are more tricycle gear airplanes out there than tailwheel,
most people's flying skills and requirements are better served by tricycle
gear. Same thing with gear-shift cars, most US cars are automatic
transmissions, but give me a roadster with 5 on the floor any day for sheer
driving fun. Different horses for different courses.

Quote:
As far as ground loops in ktifoxes, just do a search here on Matronics on
" Ground Loop " and see how many Kitfoxes have had major damage due to being

ground loops... and they were all taildraggers.

Do a search for "front wheel collapse" and you won't find any taildraggers
in there either! (meant as a joke Mike, but duh)

Anyone have real data on insurance rates? I am paying just over $1000/yr for
full hull insurance and 1/2m$ liability with $100k for a passenger, from
Falcon. Obviously I did not quote on non-taildragger but does anyone have a
similar non-taildragger policy to compare? Mike do you have insurance and
what are you paying for what coverage if you don't mind my asking? I would
be interested to know.

Bob Brennan - N717GB
ELSA Repairman, inspection rated
1991 UK Model 2 ELSA Kitfox
Rotax 582 with 3 blade prop
Wrightsville Pa

--

Paul A. Franz, P.E.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Everybody ground loops? Reply with quote

On Wed, December 31, 2008 12:14 pm, JetPilot wrote:
Quote:

Paul wrote a very good article addressing some valid points, but it does not change
the reality. A Cessna 140 Taildragger is much more likely to be damaged in landings
than a Cessna 150 Tricycle gear plane. Just check the insurance rates that are based
on many years of accident data if you doubt this fact.

I have no doubt that you're right. However, for many of us, the perceived advantages
outweigh the perceived risk. Besides, when I look at a C140, it just looks like an
airplane should look. I love the slope from the peak at the leading edge of the wings
to the tail. I occasionally rent a 1946 C140. It has the original mohair interior and
the ring on a chain you pull to start it. You can spin it around on a dime. It's not
very powerful though and it always seems like such a struggle to get it airborne. The
owners don't want you taking off on the paved runway as they feel it is safer on the
grass. At my experience level, I don't agree since the grass runway is sort of a
sequence of rolling hills you bounce your way through while it gets airborne.

Quote:
As far as ground loops in ktifoxes, just do a search here on Matronics on " Ground
Loop " and see how many Kitfoxes have had major damage due to being ground loops -
Its a common way to destroy or do major damage to a Kitfox, and they were all
taildraggers. Many more Kitfoxes have been in ground loops and been lucky enough to
avoid damage, its a roll of the dice....

I'd say your recommendation is to get a your Kitfox with tricycle gear. That would be
based on higher probability of severe damage and hence higher hull insurance cost
together with being a little more capable of handling crosswinds, especially gusty
ones.

Quote:
As far as limitations, I and the vast majority of people never fly off of grass so
high that need the extra prop clearance of a taildrgger.

I would bet that is true. But what about the destination that might not even be an
airfield? I want to land in the wheat stubble on a farm in Eastern Washington or on
the gravel banks along the Snake River or on a mountain ridge in high altitude Nevada
in the sage brush as destinations. I think the big tires and rugged landing gear on my
Merlin are ideal for that. It has some characteristics that differ from a Kitfox, it
has a lower stall speed, takes off and lands in a shorter distance and has a much
lower wing loading so it is rough riding in even light turbulence, flies slower and
has a lower cruise speed with the same power setting. The design is somewhat more
rugged but far less refined than the KF. The wings are removable but far from
convenient and even with two guys, you have your hands full doing so.

Quote:
The limitation that we VERY
OFTEN run into is crosswinds, and crosswinds are much better handled by a tricycle
gear airplane. With a tricycle gear airplane, I can fly on many more days of the
year than I can with a taildragger when there is a significant crosswind.

Around here, the limitation to flying is more often below minimums for VFR than it is
crosswinds. So you probably wouldn't weigh crosswind capability here as high as in a
vicinity that has prevailing higher wind velocities.

Quote:
I have
owned both taildraggers and Nosewheel airplanes, and seen the limitations and benefits
of each. Tricycle gear won hands down when it was time to chose which one would be on
my Kitfox.

A wise choice, considering safety and your purposes. You get to fly more and have
lower insurance cost.

Being the idiot I am, I have no hull insurance, feel a great deal of pride in flying a
tail dragger, like the looks better and purposely choose destinations for exploring,
hiking, picture taking and fishing that I could have never taken my Turbo Arrow. I get
thrills out of doing a circular takeoff on a sandy beach or gravel bar and landing in
the deep soft powdery dirt in the wheat stubble in Eastern Washington. There you don't
worry much about a crosswind either, point the nose into the direction of the wind and
go that way. I would be willing to guess that flying off floats is probably even
higher risk than as a tail dragger but I plan on doing that too. It might be easier to
switch from floats to wheels in a conventional configuration too.

This is a great thread. I hope to hear more preferences and experiences. Gets me
excited just thinking about it!

--
Paul A. Franz
Registration/Aircraft - N14UW/Merlin GT
Engine/Prop - Rotax 914/NSI CAP
Bellevue WA
425.241.1618 Cell

Bellevue WA
425.241.1618 Cell
425.440.9505 Office
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
n85ae

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Everybody ground loops? Reply with quote

I've only flown taildraggers for the past 6-7 years, except a month ago
I flew a Diamond DA20. It's in the blood, you can't really discuss the
pro's and con's of this versus that. If you fly a taildragger, you'll figure
out that you either like them or you don't. I love mine, I don't hate
trikes by any means, but the Kitfox with the wheel in the back is the
one I like best.

Maybe I'm just wierd, but they're what I like so that's what I fly. I
get a feeling of great satisfaction, out of every squirrely rudder pedaling
landing, and wouldn't trade it for anything. Especially if it's on a muddy
unpaved runway.

I think if I were flying a plane like I drive a car, to get from here to there
day in and day out, I'd prefer a low wing trike. But for fun, which is
what all my flying is, I greatly like high wing tailwheel's.

Regards,
Jeff Hays
Series-5 IO-240B Taildragger

lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Everybody ground loops? Reply with quote

Well, I accepted the challenge and searched the archives for "groundloop"
and I confess I didn't read every one of the 97 posts as most were advice on
how to avoid them. I did find one post where a guy was asking for help in
finding parts for a wing that was damaged. On a related issue, I know that
there have been nosewheel strut failures on more than one Kitfox. I did try
to research that as well, but as is often the case now, not many folks put
the "do not archive" in a chatty post, so a challenge to check the archives
is fraught with frustration and will prove less than nothing about any
subject.

If Mike has in fact checked the archives and found more than my one
incident, I would welcome some more data. The last time this subject became
a serious issue on the list was the time we started the survey on what
everyone was flying building etc. and what we found was that there were 96
tailwheel airplanes on the list, 11 with nose gear and 7 on floats. The
significance is this. There would have to be about 9 tailwheel issues for
each nosewheel issue for the numbers to be significant. I am virtually
certain that there were at least two nose strut collapses. The challenge is
then to find eighteen tailwheel failures, or groundloops that would result
in the relative amount of damage a nosewheel collapse or groundloop would
cause.

For relative significance, I am reprinting a post from Nov, 2006.

Anytime when I am asked about airplane choices, my first answer is a
question - "What will it's mission be?"

I agree that failures of the tailwheel spring has largely outnumbered the
failures of the nose gear. Without getting into the relative numbers of
tailwheel vs. nose wheel Kitfoxes and statictics, I am aware personally of a
tailwheel failure that bent the lower tubing on the rudder requiring the
removel of the fabric, straightening of the tubing and recovering. I
suspect that is about the most you would expect of this type of failure.
Actually the airplane remained airworthy and was flyable. Getting out and
home from wherever it would happen would be possible with a simple skid made
from what is available or better yet a spare spring in the misc. bag.

On the other hand I doubt a nose wheel failure would be as simple and
undoubtedly if it happened in a remote area, I suspect a remote fix would be
necessary or maybe a trailering out if possible and a much more intensive
repair depending on extent of damage which could range from a prop
replacement to cowl, engine, engine mount or fuselage fixes. Also consider
engine out sutuations where the landing site might be far from ideal.

I remember this post from Darin a bit ago and it pretty much expains what I
am trying to say.

"The reason I flew my Model III as a tailwheel and will fly my Series 7 in
tailwheel configuration was confirmed by an incident my buddy had about a
month ago while landing at a realatively benign strip in the Idaho
backcountry...he was in his 182.

In short, he went into this strip (which he had been into numerous times
before) to camp with some friends and do some fishing. On Sunday they got
up to fly home and decided to walk the strip once before starting the
takeoff roll. The reason for the walk was to pickout all major gopher
holes. They made a thourough inspection and marked all major holes then
began their taxi to the downwind side of the strip. During this taxi, a
hole that was not seen in the previous inspection swallowed his nose wheel
and he had a pretty major prop strike! His 182 is still in the A&P's hanger
and is going through a complete teardown (he is consequently considering a
full rebuild to 0-time the engine) and while the insurance is covering a
major part of it, it is still a major cost to him in dollars and lost flying
time."

I believe amid the opinions, there are some things that could come close to
being considered facts. And the relative difficulty one can get themsleves
into with that third wheel is real. Scuffed wingtips or a bent rudder is
minor compared...

do not archive.

Lowell
---

Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Everybody ground loops? Reply with quote

When I had my tailwheel spring (2 leaf) break, and the tail dragged,
I was VERY glad it wasn't a failure of the support of the other
option for the "3rd wheel."
My prop got further from the ground, not INTO it.
Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, #2062, 596+ hrs
Sensenich 62x46
flying again after rebuild, and new Electroair direct-fire ignition
system;
also building a new pair of snow skis

On Dec 31, 2008, at 9:45 PM, Lowell Fitt wrote:
Quote:
The challenge is then to find eighteen tailwheel failures, or
groundloops that would result in the relative amount of damage a
nosewheel collapse or groundloop would cause.

Lowell

Fox5flyer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Everybody ground loops? Reply with quote

No, Jeff. Not weird. Many of us feel the same way. Nothing wrong with
nose draggers, but nothing wrong with tail draggers either. Just a matter
of preference and like someone said, "I prefer a stick over automatic".
Both have pros and cons and one can haggle back and forth until the cows
come home, but the end result is that it's just a matter of preference.
Deke Morisse
Mikado Michigan
S5/Subaru/CAP 402+ TT
"The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress."
- Joseph Joubert

---

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Everybody ground loops? Reply with quote

Is there any NDT way to test the tail wheel spring at regular intervals. I’m thinking eddy current but not sure if it will work on ferrous metals. Lots of FBOs have eddy current machines not to mention magnetic flux and dye penetrate. Dye penetrant should work same as flux... check the spring every annual.

It may not be perfect but it’s better than ripping up your rudder.

Noel

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of gary.algate(at)sandvik.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:07 AM
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Everybody ground loops?

I didn't ground loop today but I did break my tailwheel spring. I had just landed and was taxiing past the main viewing area (of course) when I heard a crunch and felt a bump.

I knew straight away what had happened and really didn't want to get out and see the damage to my rudder.

Today was a good day as the spring broke just above the wheel and there was enough left to hold the rudder about 1/2" above the ground. I have the 2 x leaf spring version and I check it before each flight so there was little or no warning.

I am going to have a three leaf spring manufactured this week!

Gary

Gary Algate
Classic 4 Jab 2200
Office Phone: +61 8 8276 7655

This e-mail is confidential and it is intended only for the addressees. Any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail and delete the message from your system. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which may arise as a result of the e-mail transmission.
“This year, instead of sending you a Christmas card in the mail, we have made a contribution to UNICEF Australia. We wish you a safe and happy Christmas".

John Allen <kitfoxfugit(at)yahoo.com>
Sent by: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com
31/12/2008 05:50 PM
Please respond to
kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
To
cc
Subject
Kitfox-List: Everybody ground loops?

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: John Allen <kitfoxfugit(at)yahoo.com>

In response to Paul Folbrecht <paul.folbrecht(at)veribox.net> who wrote:

> I'm considering buying either a half share or a whole share in a completed
> Fox (TD). I have no TD time and while becoming taildragger-proficient is
> appealing to me, ground-looping one is *not*!
>
> So.... assuming I get a GOOD TG endorsement from a GOOD instructor, and
> GOOD training in the Kitfox, honestly, should I _seriously_ expect to
> ground-loop it at *some* point?
>
> How about this - everybody who's got 50, 100, 200, 500, etc. hours in
> Kitfoxes while never looping raise your hand! Smile

The following is just my opinion for what it is worth to try to answer the question you pose for someone considering transition from heavy nosewheels to a light taildragger Kitfox. I don't think it is hours that determine whether a groundloop will occur. I have flown over 5 hours at a time with only one takeoff and one landing. It seems that there are a number of factors that are involved, some of which are listed below, not in a particular order.

1. Design of the aircraft. Width of mains, wider is better (Grove gear is wider than tube gear on Kitfox). Springiness of gear, stiffness, ability to absorb shock without bouncing (I found tube gear stiff and bouncy). Ability to get tail down in flare (difficult in mine, especially with full flaps). Side area exposed to crosswinds - low on a Kitfox is good. Visibility over the nose when flaring (none in mine, I use peripheral vision of the ground plane). Landing speed, slower is better. Speedsters land faster due to shorter wings and probably the undercambered wing models (I, II, III) land much slower.

2. Construction of Aircraft. Alignment of wheels (I had to align my tube gear). Type tires, square shoulder (I had) or round (I have now). Proper angle of tailwheel. Tailwheel spring slack. Gas line on inside of firewall that will catch the sole of your shoe when stepping on the brake (I had to fix that). Type of brakes installed (mine were very weak). Dual brakes (easier to get an instructor; mine has brakes on LH side only, I had to learn to fly it from RH side first). Type of tailwheel (I have never changed mine). Type of prop; the Rotax cannot be idled below 1800; the Ivoprop I have on it now acts like a speed brake in flatter pitch.

3. Maintenance of Aircraft. Brakes, too good is better but can grab or nose you over if you apply them hard; too bad won't arrest an incipient groundloop, sticking can cause one. Tire type and condition; you don't want a flat. Alignment (of tube gear). Tailwheel condition. Tailwheel spring (can loosen or break). Tailwheel turning springs and fasteners condition (failure will leave you without steering). Bungees (if you have them, you don't want them to break; also be sure you have snare cables attached). Making sure all control linkages and surfaces are fully functional.

4. Experience of pilot. Comfort level in the aircraft. Ability to be on top of it, ahead of it, to make it do what is wanted and not overcontrol it. Airspeed control; knowing and using appropriate speeds especially in the area of reverse command over the fence and what is needed for turns and gusts. Using tailwheel steering until rudder can take over on takeoff (mine has little rudder authority at first and wants to shoot off to the left if you lift the tail early). Adding rudder with throttle. Number of takeoffs and landings, especially recent experience. More make you more in control. Crosswind technique and experience, amount and strength of wind. This is needed in mountainous areas where runways are not always oriented into the prevailing wind. Techniques for gusts. Mountain strips. Type of surface, hard, soft, grass, dirt, gravel, wet, soft, rough, short, sloped.

5. Operation. Loaded Weight, heavier lands faster but is not as apt to "float" if you come in too fast. CG, aft makes lifting tail harder but helps get tail down on landing. Keeping controls free. Taxiing technique with wind. Paying attention at all times while moving; no distractions. S-turns. Pilot condition. You will find your technique flawless at times and sub-par at other times.

My own observations:

Despite having learned in and flown mostly taildraggers in the past, I found my Kitfox IV Speedster to be a handful at first. It was not for beginners, the way it was set up. I never found out why. The Grove gear finally tamed it. It is not easy to find an instructor for Kitfoxes. The main tailwheel instructor I know in our area will not fly it, having tried one he does not want to add a groundloop to his resume. Experience in a Champ is not the same, since by contrast you can see well out the front, it lands slowly, takes lots of control movement, and has very forgiving gear. A Champ is so docile it makes a Cessna 150 seem hard to land by comparison. The Kitfox is sensitive on the controls, calling for a light but authoritative touch. It will do just what you ask it to do, whether or not you realize what you are asking of it. You will consider a Cessna to fly like a truck after flying a Kitfox.

You can do it if you make the commitment to develop and practice good technique on every takeoff and landing; lots of people with varying experience do it successfully as you can see from the list. If you start on a suitable airport with a well-designed aircraft, assembled and maintained properly, practice a lot, keep current, pay attention, and expand your envelope as your experience increases, you should be OK. Tricky conditions are, if course, riskier. Even if you stay on runways, cross-countries can present you with challenging conditions for which you have to be prepared to handle when you are tired. It is not going to be as forgiving of slamming it into the ground nor will it jerk itself straight out of a bad landing like a nosewheel-equipped Cessna will.

JA KF IV Speedster (at) O70

============
--
Gifts!)
on
about
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
============
Forum -
FAQ,
============
WEB FORUMS -
============

Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/contribution
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Everybody ground loops? Reply with quote

Another way to insure not ripping up your rudder....if anything is
SURE....is to install a dual main-leaf tailwheel spring, with or
without a helper/booster spring leaf. These are known as 3-leaf
springs, and available from John and Debra McBean. These springs have
both of the main leafs (leaves?) bolted at both ends, thus insuring
(there's that word again) that if one main leaf fails the other will
hold the tailwheel in place...unless you've really p-ssed off Lady Luck.

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, #2062, 596+ hrs
Sensenich 62x46
flying again after rebuild, and new Electroair direct-fire ignition
system;
also building a new pair of snow skis

On Jan 1, 2009, at 8:28 PM, Noel Loveys wrote:

Quote:
Is there any NDT way to test the tail wheel spring at regular
intervals. I’m thinking eddy current but not sure if it will work
on ferrous metals. Lots of FBOs have eddy current machines not to
mention magnetic flux and dye penetrate. Dye penetrant should
work same as flux... check the spring every annual.

Noel

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-
list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of gary.algate(at)sandvik.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:07 AM
Subject: Re: Everybody ground loops?

I didn't ground loop today but I did break my tailwheel spring. I
had just landed and was taxiing past the main viewing area (of
course) when I heard a crunch and felt a bump.

I knew straight away what had happened and really didn't want to
get out and see the damage to my rudder.

Today was a good day as the spring broke just above the wheel and
there was enough left to hold the rudder about 1/2" above the
ground. I have the 2 x leaf spring version and I check it before
each flight so there was little or no warning.

Gary

Gary Algate
Classic 4 Jab 2200
This e-mail is confidential and it is intended only for the
addressees. Any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
kindly notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail and delete the
message from your system. The sender does not accept liability for
any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which may
arise as a result of the e-mail transmission.
“This year, instead of sending you a Christmas card in the mail, we
have made a contribution to UNICEF Australia. We wish you a safe
and happy Christmas".

Please respond to

To

cc

Subject

Everybody ground loops?

> I'm considering buying either a half share or a whole share in a
completed
> Fox (TD). I have no TD time and while becoming taildragger-
proficient is
>
> So.... assuming I get a GOOD TG endorsement from a GOOD
instructor, and
> GOOD training in the Kitfox, honestly, should I _seriously_
expect to
>
> How about this - everybody who's got 50, 100, 200, 500, etc.
hours in

The following is just my opinion for what it is worth to try to
answer the question you pose for someone considering transition
from heavy nosewheels to a light taildragger Kitfox. I don't think
it is hours that determine whether a groundloop will occur. I have
flown over 5 hours at a time with only one takeoff and one
landing. It seems that there are a number of factors that are
involved, some of which are listed below, not in a particular order.

1. Design of the aircraft. Width of mains, wider is better (Grove
gear is wider than tube gear on Kitfox). Springiness of gear,
stiffness, ability to absorb shock without bouncing (I found tube
gear stiff and bouncy). Ability to get tail down in flare
(difficult in mine, especially with full flaps). Side area exposed
to crosswinds - low on a Kitfox is good. Visibility over the nose
when flaring (none in mine, I use peripheral vision of the ground
plane). Landing speed, slower is better. Speedsters land faster
due to shorter wings and probably the undercambered wing models (I,
II, III) land much slower.

2. Construction of Aircraft. Alignment of wheels (I had to align
my tube gear). Type tires, square shoulder (I had) or round (I
have now). Proper angle of tailwheel. Tailwheel spring slack.
Gas line on inside of firewall that will catch the sole of your
shoe when stepping on the brake (I had to fix that). Type of
brakes installed (mine were very weak). Dual brakes (easier to get
an instructor; mine has brakes on LH side only, I had to learn to
fly it from RH side first). Type of tailwheel (I have never
changed mine). Type of prop; the Rotax cannot be idled below 1800;
the Ivoprop I have on it now acts like a speed brake in flatter pitch.

3. Maintenance of Aircraft. Brakes, too good is better but can
grab or nose you over if you apply them hard; too bad won't arrest
an incipient groundloop, sticking can cause one. Tire type and
condition; you don't want a flat. Alignment (of tube gear).
Tailwheel condition. Tailwheel spring (can loosen or break).
Tailwheel turning springs and fasteners condition (failure will
leave you without steering). Bungees (if you have them, you don't
want them to break; also be sure you have snare cables attached).
Making sure all control linkages and surfaces are fully functional.

4. Experience of pilot. Comfort level in the aircraft. Ability to
be on top of it, ahead of it, to make it do what is wanted and not
overcontrol it. Airspeed control; knowing and using appropriate
speeds especially in the area of reverse command over the fence and
what is needed for turns and gusts. Using tailwheel steering until
rudder can take over on takeoff (mine has little rudder authority
at first and wants to shoot off to the left if you lift the tail
early). Adding rudder with throttle. Number of takeoffs and
landings, especially recent experience. More make you more in
control. Crosswind technique and experience, amount and strength
of wind. This is needed in mountainous areas where runways are not
always oriented into the prevailing wind. Techniques for gusts.
Mountain strips. Type of surface, hard, soft, grass, dirt, gravel,
wet, soft, rough, short, sloped.

5. Operation. Loaded Weight, heavier lands faster but is not as
apt to "float" if you come in too fast. CG, aft makes lifting tail
harder but helps get tail down on landing. Keeping controls free.
Taxiing technique with wind. Paying attention at all times while
moving; no distractions. S-turns. Pilot condition. You will find
your technique flawless at times and sub-par at other times.

My own observations:

Despite having learned in and flown mostly taildraggers in the
past, I found my Kitfox IV Speedster to be a handful at first. It
was not for beginners, the way it was set up. I never found out
why. The Grove gear finally tamed it. It is not easy to find an
instructor for Kitfoxes. The main tailwheel instructor I know in
our area will not fly it, having tried one he does not want to add
a groundloop to his resume. Experience in a Champ is not the same,
since by contrast you can see well out the front, it lands slowly,
takes lots of control movement, and has very forgiving gear. A
Champ is so docile it makes a Cessna 150 seem hard to land by
comparison. The Kitfox is sensitive on the controls, calling for a
light but authoritative touch. It will do just what you ask it to
do, whether or not you realize what you are asking of it. You will
consider a Cessna to fly like a truck after flying a Kitfox.

You can do it if you make the commitment to develop and practice
good technique on every takeoff and landing; lots of people with
varying experience do it successfully as you can see from the
list. If you start on a suitable airport with a well-designed
aircraft, assembled and maintained properly, practice a lot, keep
current, pay attention, and expand your envelope as your experience
increases, you should be OK. Tricky conditions are, if course,
riskier. Even if you stay on runways, cross-countries can present
you with challenging conditions for which you have to be prepared
to handle when you are tired. It is not going to be as forgiving
of slamming it into the ground nor will it jerk itself straight out
of a bad landing like a nosewheel-equipped Cessna will.

============
--
Gifts!)
on
about
============
Forum -
FAQ,
============
WEB FORUMS -
============

http://www.matronics.com/contributionhttp://www.matronics.com/
Navigator?Kitfox-Listhttp://forums.matronics.com
============================================================ _-
============================================================ _-
contribution_-
============================================================

gary.algate(at)sandvik.co

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Everybody ground loops? Reply with quote

Noel

I think my spring was poorly designed - It has two leaves but the upper (shorter one) was finished with a pointed end, as the lower leaf flexed at this point it raised considerable stress leading to the failure.

I think I would check any springs out there and if it is finished like mine I would grind the point off and leave it flat with rounded corners.

I did not see an signs of cracking prior to the failure as it propagated from below the stress riser and at the bottom of the spring.

I am having new leaves manufactured here in Adelaide and in future I am going to change them biannually.

Regards

Gary

Gary Algate
Classic 4 Jab 2200

This e-mail is confidential and it is intended only for the addressees. Any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail and delete the message from your system. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which may arise as a result of the e-mail transmission.
“This year, instead of sending you a Christmas card in the mail, we have made a contribution to [url=Arial]UNICEF Australia[/url]. We wish you a safe and happy Christmas".

"Noel Loveys" <noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca>
02/01/2009 12:07 PM
Please respond to
kitfox-list(at)matronics.com To
<kitfox-list(at)matronics.com> cc
Subject
RE: Everybody ground loops?

Is there any NDT way to test the tail wheel spring at regular intervals. I’m thinking eddy current but not sure if it will work on ferrous metals. Lots of FBOs have eddy current machines not to mention magnetic flux and dye penetrate. Dye penetrant should work same as flux... check the spring every annual.

Noel

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of gary.algate(at)sandvik.com
Sent:
Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:07 AM
To:
Subject:
Re: Everybody ground loops?

I didn't ground loop today but I did break my tailwheel spring. I had just landed and was taxiing past the main viewing area (of course) when I heard a crunch and felt a bump.

I knew straight away what had happened and really didn't want to get out and see the damage to my rudder.

Today was a good day as the spring broke just above the wheel and there was enough left to hold the rudder about 1/2" above the ground. I have the 2 x leaf spring version and I check it before each flight so there was little or no warning.

Gary

Gary Algate
Classic 4 Jab 2200

“This year, instead of sending you a Christmas card in the mail, we have made a contribution to
[url=Arial]UNICEF Australia[/url]. We wish you a safe and happy Christmas".

Please respond to
To
kitfox-list(at)matronics.com cc
Subject
Everybody ground loops?

>
>

The following is just my opinion for what it is worth to try to answer the question you pose for someone considering transition from heavy nosewheels to a light taildragger Kitfox. I don't think it is hours that determine whether a groundloop will occur. I have flown over 5 hours at a time with only one takeoff and one landing. It seems that there are a number of factors that are involved, some of which are listed below, not in a particular order.

1. Design of the aircraft. Width of mains, wider is better (Grove gear is wider than tube gear on Kitfox). Springiness of gear, stiffness, ability to absorb shock without bouncing (I found tube gear stiff and bouncy). Ability to get tail down in flare (difficult in mine, especially with full flaps). Side area exposed to crosswinds - low on a Kitfox is good. Visibility over the nose when flaring (none in mine, I use peripheral vision of the ground plane). Landing speed, slower is better. Speedsters land faster due to shorter wings and probably the undercambered wing models (I, II, III) land much slower.

2. Construction of Aircraft. Alignment of wheels (I had to align my tube gear). Type tires, square shoulder (I had) or round (I have now). Proper angle of tailwheel. Tailwheel spring slack. Gas line on inside of firewall that will catch the sole of your shoe when stepping on the brake (I had to fix that). Type of brakes installed (mine were very weak). Dual brakes (easier to get an instructor; mine has brakes on LH side only, I had to learn to fly it from RH side first).  Type of tailwheel (I have never changed mine). Type of prop; the Rotax cannot be idled below 1800; the Ivoprop I have on it now acts like a speed brake in flatter pitch.

3. Maintenance of Aircraft. Brakes, too good is better but can grab or nose you over if you apply them hard; too bad won't arrest an incipient groundloop, sticking can cause one. Tire type and condition; you don't want a flat. Alignment (of tube gear). Tailwheel condition. Tailwheel spring (can loosen or break). Tailwheel turning springs and fasteners condition (failure will leave you without steering). Bungees (if you have them, you don't want them to break; also be sure you have snare cables attached). Making sure all control linkages and surfaces are fully functional.

4. Experience of pilot. Comfort level in the aircraft. Ability to be on top of it, ahead of it, to make it do what is wanted and not overcontrol it. Airspeed control; knowing and using appropriate speeds especially in the area of reverse command over the fence and what is needed for turns and gusts. Using tailwheel steering until rudder can take over on takeoff (mine has little rudder authority at first and wants to shoot off to the left if you lift the tail early). Adding rudder with throttle. Number of takeoffs and landings, especially recent experience. More make you more in control. Crosswind technique and experience, amount and strength of wind. This is needed in mountainous areas where runways are not always oriented into the prevailing wind. Techniques for gusts. Mountain strips. Type of surface, hard, soft, grass, dirt, gravel, wet, soft, rough, short, sloped.

5. Operation. Loaded Weight, heavier lands faster but is not as apt to "float" if you come in too fast. CG, aft makes lifting tail harder but helps get tail down on landing. Keeping controls free. Taxiing technique with wind. Paying attention at all times while moving; no distractions. S-turns. Pilot condition. You will find your technique flawless at times and sub-par at other times.

My own observations:

Despite having learned in and flown mostly taildraggers in the past, I found my Kitfox IV Speedster to be a handful at first. It was not for beginners, the way it was set up. I never found out why. The Grove gear finally tamed it. It is not easy to find an instructor for Kitfoxes. The main tailwheel instructor I know in our area will not fly it, having tried one he does not want to add a groundloop to his resume. Experience in a Champ is not the same, since by contrast you can see well out the front, it lands slowly, takes lots of control movement, and has very forgiving gear. A Champ is so docile it makes a Cessna 150 seem hard to land by comparison. The Kitfox is sensitive on the controls, calling for a light but authoritative touch. It will do just what you ask it to do, whether or not you realize what you are asking of it. You will consider a Cessna to fly like a truck after flying a Kitfox.

You can do it if you make the commitment to develop and practice good technique on every takeoff and landing; lots of people with varying experience do it successfully as you can see from the list. If you start on a suitable airport with a well-designed aircraft, assembled and maintained properly, practice a lot, keep current, pay attention, and expand your envelope as your experience increases, you should be OK. Tricky conditions are, if course, riskier. Even if you stay on runways, cross-countries can present you with challenging conditions for which you have to be prepared to handle when you are tired. It is not going to be as forgiving of slamming it into the ground nor will it jerk itself straight out of a bad landing like a nosewheel-equipped Cessna will.

============
--
Gifts!)
on
about
============
Forum -
FAQ,
============
WEB FORUMS -
============

http://forums.matronics.com
[b]

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Everybody ground loops? Reply with quote

The whole point of NDT... Non Destructive Testing... is it will pick up cracks that you couldn’t see with a microscope. You aren’t alone in saying the break came as a complete surprise and there is no doubt that multiple leaves will beat thicker leaves in every case. Older army jeep lovers will attest that the multi-multi leaf springs on some of the old , I think they were Ford built, Jeeps out preformed the thicker springs on the GM and Willys produced units hands down.

With NDT even the thinnest, otherwise invisible cracks will show up. I was wondering if anyone does regular NDT testing of their tail springs. With the number of breaks listed here I would think it would be a good thing to check occasionally, especially considering none of the NDT processes will break the bank and they can show cracks below the surface of the metal.

The Magnetic flux and eddy current machines are expensive and require quite a bit of expertise to operate. If there is someone in your area using one, they’re common enough, it would be a five minute test for them. Dye penetrant is cheaper but won’t show sub surface cracks like the other tests but it will get into any surface crack even one much too thin to see with the naked eye. Once the dye has been applied the part is inspected with a black light where any cracks will fluoresce. Be aware though this stuff is designed to get into the smallest of spaces and I’ve seen guys who had dye penetrant pass right through heavy clothing. Not all dye penetrant is fluorescing and the non fluorescing ones are amazing how they will pass right through layers of heavy clothing.

Noel

Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 2:05 AM
Subject: RE: Everybody ground loops?

Noel

I think my spring was poorly designed - It has two leaves but the upper (shorter one) was finished with a pointed end, as the lower leaf flexed at this point it raised considerable stress leading to the failure.

I think I would check any springs out there and if it is finished like mine I would grind the point off and leave it flat with rounded corners.

I did not see an signs of cracking prior to the failure as it propagated from below the stress riser and at the bottom of the spring.

I am having new leaves manufactured here in Adelaide and in future I am going to change them biannually.

Regards

Gary

Gary Algate
Classic 4 Jab 2200

“This year, instead of sending you a Christmas card in the mail, we have made a contribution to UNICEF Australia. We wish you a safe and happy Christmas".

"Noel Loveys" <noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca>
02/01/2009 12:07 PM
Please respond to
To
<kitfox-list(at)matronics.com>
cc
Subject
RE: Everybody ground loops?

Noel

Sent:
Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:07 AM
To:
Subject:
Re: Everybody ground loops?

Gary

Gary Algate
Classic 4 Jab 2200

“This year, instead of sending you a Christmas card in the mail, we have made a contribution to
UNICEF Australia. We wish you a safe and happy Christmas".

Please respond to

To
cc
Subject
Kitfox-List: Everybody ground loops?

>
>

2. Construction of Aircraft. Alignment of wheels (I had to align my tube gear). Type tires, square shoulder (I had) or round (I have now). Proper angle of tailwheel. Tailwheel spring slack. Gas line on inside of firewall that will catch the sole of your shoe when stepping on the brake (I had to fix that). Type of brakes installed (mine were very weak). Dual brakes (easier to get an instructor; mine has brakes on LH side only, I had to learn to fly it from RH side first). Type of tailwheel (I have never changed mine). Type of prop; the Rotax cannot be idled below 1800; the Ivoprop I have on it now acts like a speed brake in flatter pitch.

My own observations:

============
--
Gifts!)
on
about
============
Forum -
FAQ,
============
WEB FORUMS -
============

http://forums.matronics.com

===========
-
href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List">[b]http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

===========
FORUMS -
href="http://forums.matronics.com/">[b]http://forums.matronics.com

===========
Site -
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">[b]http://www.matronics.com/contribution

===========

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Everybody ground loops? Reply with quote

I find this type of failure very interesting. Someone may correct my
thinking, but this spring design is very common in ground transportation.
Truck leaf springs are usually constructed of several leaves of ever longer
lengths with the terminal on both ends a single leaf usually wound into a
tube that a bushing and bolt is inserted through to attatch to a shackle
then to the frame.

What is wrong with our system that failures are as common as they are.
Could it be that the supplier needs to check his heat treating temps a bit
better? With the number of vehicles out there with essentially this set-up,
why don't we see more broken springs on the side of the road. And before
someone suggests the impact of landing on the spring, wait until you drive
over California's highways paved in potholes.

Regarding a stress riser, I agree with Gary that this may be part of the
issue. The only Grove tailspring failure I am personally familiar with was
right at the forward edge of the tailwheel attachment - a squared off sharp
edge. On my pickiup there is a plastic disk at the end of the aux leaf to,
I suppose, spread the stress over three or so inches rather than at the
immediate end of the aux leaf.

Lowell
---

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Everybody ground loops? Reply with quote

Lowell you are close on your appraisal of the automotive leaf springs. They
too break especially if you let me run the Jeep they are in over a power
corridor. There is a slight difference though only one end of the leaf is
attached directly to the frame of the auto. The other end usually the back
of a rear axle and the front of a front axle is attached to a shackle that
allows the spring to get longer as the curve is pressed out of it. In the
automotive spring the bending occurs more or less evenly the whole length of
the spring while on the plane the bending is concentrated most right where
the aft bolt holds the spring in place and where the tail wheel bolt passes
through the spring.

I think there are a few things to do to try to keep tail spring breaks to a
minimum. One is the NDT that I've mentioned before another is to keep
sprung weight on the tail to a minimum. Weights on the tail wheels or the
lower part of the spring (un-sprung weight) will be more effective for
balancing the plane and will also reduce stresses on the tail spring.
Multiple springs also work to spread the bending over a wider area of the
main leaf thus reducing the stresses on any one point.

Noel

--

Don G

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Everybody ground loops? Reply with quote

OK..My hand is up...but very hesitantly...
about 200 hours in my Speedster IV so far...and no Ground-loops...but I did touch a wingtip on pavement once at about 50 hours in it...whew...close! (not much wind that day either)

I learned to fly in 150s in Oklahoma in the 70's...always windy there, so I got accustomed to wind early on. Since then have flown many types, and a few different taildraggers. Also currently Own a Luscombe 8A.
Stopped logging my hours a few years back.

My first flight in a fox was when I purchased this one..1st experimental out of 5 I have owned I didn't build. Actually, never even rode in one prior. My impression that day...and it was calm winds.."wow...what a squirrelly sucker this is on the ground...must be set up wrong."
So I checked the gear alignment...rudder linkages...everything I could think of...it all looked ok..hmmm..must be me. Stayed off the pavement for many hours... trying very hard to master the ground handling of this short coupled..narrow geared bird. At 50 hours I figgered I had it..but then the wingtip touch on landing...GULP..
I had another Kitfox owner/pilot hangered right next to me, and he made it look so easy. His was a long wing , 582 powered babe and he was without a doubt a much better pilot than I...I didnt know where or when He started, but he flew PBYs from Hawaii during ww-2 , and since they started giving him trouble about medicals..flew a gryo and a Z-max and the Fox frequently...the man loved flying and was as smooth as I have seen to date.
After 30 years am I loosing it? I thought...when My buddy has near 60 and he still puts me to shame?
Then...2 things happened. I scared my wife on a takeoff at a fly-in we attended...and...My buddy...he ground-looped his long-wing and put it in the corn next to a turf runway and broke it near in two. IT was HIS first ground-loop. Yea..I know..he is pretty old, cant walk well and maybe he just got behind it...but....
I was on the phone to Grove the next week...and ordered their conversion. Time in this bird since I got it by the way was 105 hrs.
I didn't want to sell it because in the air...its the most fun aircraft I have ever owned. I absolutely love the way this thing flys..I just don't like the way it drives! I love the power of this 80 hp rotax and its short feild takeoff..top speed and economy...everything...but when its on the ground.
Since the wider Grove gear installation..have had no incidents and it seems to be much more docile on the ground. (unless after over 200 hrs in it now am finally learning) Still not for those who don't pay attention. Compared to my Luscombe, the kitfox is still a handfull even with the Grove gear. My wife...well she still flys with me, and a comment she made after a few trips with the new gear as we were taxing to the hanger.."Well...I guess it was worth all that money YOU SPENT on those new wheel things. You are doing much better on those landings". "You havent scared me once this year".
I thought to myself...Yet.....hehe.

Luscombe 8A
RV9A
Float Flyr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Everybody ground loops? Reply with quote

When I was training the instructor wanted me to fly one day the winds were
around 25/35. I said once licensed I would stay on the ground on such a day
but I could see that I should be able to handle that wind. Just as we
reached rotation speed a big gust hit us from the from the front starboard
quarter. As soon as it did the plane ballooned to the left but I had
already input lots of down elevator and full right aileron. When the gust
ended the right main touched the runway again and we lifted off. To say it
was bumpy that day would be an understatement. We landed on a different
runway more into the gusts and a little cross to the normal winds with no
problem. That was the day I got to fly backwards!!

Noel

--

Paul Folbrecht

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Everybody ground loops? Reply with quote

akflyerbob wrote:
I have 3K plus hrs in TD stuff and if it hadn't been for
AKFLYER I whould have spudded my brand new KF l on
my first flight.
To say the least they are rudder unfriendly.
Now that I can control it, it is a blast, and I am proud to
own one. Well two, am working on a lll that was never finished.
If you can fly, you will love the K F.
Bob.

This is an old thread, but I have to ask you or someone to elaborate on the "rudder-unfriendly" comment above.

And a new question: do large (tundra) tires make a TD more docile (less likely to ground loop)?

(I did buy half of that Kitfox. Then I sold it because we had a baby born over 3 months premature and I spent evenings at the hospital for 3 months+. (He's 3 now, doing good, and loves airplanes along with his sister.) And now I am considering an Avid or Kitfox again. Still no TD endors. but I did end up getting about 50 hours in a Challenger II so I have light-plane experience. I plan to get the TD endors. in a Cub soon and see how I like that first.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: