Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elevator attachment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfgilmore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Elevator attachment Reply with quote

OK... It seems like the closer I get to setting this beast on wheels, the more questions I have!  I was attaching the elevators to the horizontal stabilizer (HS) this morning, and of course some adjustment was needed to establish the 1/8" gap between the elevator counterweight arm of the elevator and the side edge of the HS... nor surprise there, as it's not a perfect world, and the manual said to expect it.  I had two choices to make the adjustment:  1) tighten the inboard rod end bearing (REB) or 2) loosen the outboard REB.  Because there was no clearance to tighten (shorten) the inboard REB, I loosened the outboard REB in several increments.  By the time I achieved a gap that did not rub the counterweight arm against the HS end, I had extended the recommended 7/8" dimension between the centerline of the bearing and the forward face of the forward elevator spar to about 1-1/32".  Everywhere else I've read about the REBs says that half the threads must be inserted into the nut/plate, and this is far less than half of the threads.

Has anyone else encountered this, and, if so, what did you do about it?  Or should I not be concerned with this amount of exposed thread in THIS location as lon g as I tighten the jam nut appropriately?  It would almost seem that a longer REB is called for than what is provided in the kit...

Jim Gilmore, #40317
Legacy wings/empennage/fuse complete except for final assembly and cabin cover hell....
... and of course engine/avionics...
See which stars were naughty and nice this holiday season with the PopEater Toolbar. Get it now!
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
carl.froehlich(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Elevator attachment Reply with quote

Jim,

Recommend stopping and taking a look at what is going on.  Anything not real close to the 7/8” spec on the rod end bearing is a red flag.

I just helped a neighbor mount the his tail today.  We ended up with the left elevator at exactly 7/8” on the rod end bearings, and the right elevator at ½ turn less than 7/8”.  The reason for the difference was to make the elevator to HS gap exactly the same on each side.

Recommend going back to the 7/8” spec on one elevator and then measuring the gap between the elevator and the HS at the most inboard location and the most outboard location.  The easiest way to do this is to make a line between two aft outboard and two aft inboard rivets on the HS, and then a line on the corresponding rivets on the elevator.  With the elevator clamped in the trail position, measure between the two lines.  You should find both measurements to be about 1 19/32”.  If they are exactly the same, then you know the elevator is mounted parallel to the HS.  Do the same process with the right elevator, starting at 7/8” on the rod end bearings and adjusting (1/2 turn or so on each on) to get the same gap measurement that you did on the left elevator.  Photo of the outboard gap measurement lines attached.

The objective is to get the elevators parallel the HS rear spar.  If you counterweight is made correctly, this you give you close to the 1/8” gap.  If you don’t have a 1/8” gap, don’t try to get it by adjusting the rod end bearings – keep the elevator parallel the HS spar.  You may need to drill out the counterbalance rivets, adjust and then replace the rivets to get the 1/8” gap.

Carl Froehlich
RV-8A (450 hrs_
RV-10 (fuselage wiring)

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of jfg(at)aol.com
Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2009 6:43 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Elevator attachment

OK... It seems like the closer I get to setting this beast on wheels, the more questions I have! I was attaching the elevators to the horizontal stabilizer (HS) this morning, and of course some adjustment was needed to establish the 1/8" gap between the elevator counterweight arm of the elevator and the side edge of the HS... nor surprise there, as it's not a perfect world, and the manual said to expect it. I had two choices to make the adjustment: 1) tighten the inboard rod end bearing (REB) or 2) loosen the outboard REB. Because there was no clearance to tighten (shorten) the inboard REB, I loosened the outboard REB in several increments. By the time I achieved a gap that did not rub the counterweight arm against the HS end, I had extended the recommended 7/8" dimension between the centerline of the bearing and the forward face of the forward elevator spar to about 1-1/32". Everywhere else I've read about the REBs says that half the threads must be inserted into the nut/plate, and this is far less than half of the threads.

Has anyone else encountered this, and, if so, what did you do about it? Or should I not be concerned with this amount of exposed thread in THIS location as lon g as I tighten the jam nut appropriately? It would almost seem that a longer REB is called for than what is provided in the kit...

Jim Gilmore, #40317

Legacy wings/empennage/fuse complete except for final assembly and cabin cover hell....

See which stars were naughty and nice this holiday season with the PopEater Toolbar. Get it now!
Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/contribution
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Elevator_gap.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.53 KB
 Viewed:  343 Time(s)

Elevator_gap.jpg

capsteve(at)iflyrv10.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Elevator attachment Reply with quote

Jim,
I have (had) the exact same situation. I went crazy trying to find out what I had done wrong, but in the end I simply made the call to aircraft spruce and all was right again.....untill I pushed the rudder into the hangar door moving the plane around.....but that’s another story..

steven dinieri
iflyrv10.com

Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2009 6:42 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Elevator attachment

OK... It seems like the closer I get to setting this beast on wheels, the more questions I have! I was attaching the elevators to the horizontal stabilizer (HS) this morning, and of course some adjustment was needed to establish the 1/8" gap between the elevator counterweight arm of the elevator and the side edge of the HS... nor surprise there, as it's not a perfect world, and the manual said to expect it. I had two choices to make the adjustment: 1) tighten the inboard rod end bearing (REB) or 2) loosen the outboard REB. Because there was no clearance to tighten (shorten) the inboard REB, I loosened the outboard REB in several increments. By the time I achieved a gap that did not rub the counterweight arm against the HS end, I had extended the recommended 7/8" dimension between the centerline of the bearing and the forward face of the forward elevator spar to about 1-1/32". Everywhere else I've read about the REBs says that half the threads must be inserted into the nut/plate, and this is far less than half of the threads.

Has anyone else encountered this, and, if so, what did you do about it? Or should I not be concerned with this amount of exposed thread in THIS location as lon g as I tighten the jam nut appropriately? It would almost seem that a longer REB is called for than what is provided in the kit...

Jim Gilmore, #40317

Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/chref="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
[quote][b]

Space Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevator attachment Reply with quote

I'll add to Carl's excellent write-up that I did a little filing of the elevator horn skins on mine to get a better gap. Was not much though. I did measure more than just the end gap locations though, checking along the entire top and bottom skin of both pieces during movement which might have contributed to a little more work. And I had to adjust one bearing a full turn more than the other, but in the end, my bearings also were very close to the prescribed dimensions.

Dwight

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevator attachment Reply with quote

Jim,

The rod end bearings on some pushrods are engaged more than half way, so that if the pushrod rotates (which makes one bearing go in, the other out) in service, the "going in" bearing runs out of threads and won't allow anymore rotation, before the "going out" bearing runs out of threads and falls out. Otherwise, you need to safety or otherwise keep the pushrod from rotating. Now, on the elevators, the rod ends cannot rotate, so they can't back out. The concern is strength. Vans told me the rule of thumb is to engage a minimum thread length equal to the bolt diameter. e.g., for a 3/8 -24 thread, you want at least 3/8" (or 9 turns) engaged, to achieve design strength.
On my elevators I got at least 9 turns engaged, but just barely. Slightly longer rod ends may be necessary for some installations.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: