Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spin Training / Upset attitude course - Informal poll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drc(at)wscare.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Spin Training / Upset attitude course - Informal poll Reply with quote

This is a good post.
I take all of the local CFI's and give them spin opportunity. And any
other pilots that are interested.
I will respond to your questions below.
On Jan 5, 2009, at 10:15 AM, GreasySideUp wrote:

Quote:

>

I have been thinking of writing an article to the RPA magazine about
spin training and was wondering the percentage of owners/operators
of Yaks and Cj's that have had a formal/ informal spin/upset
attitude course, how many have never done a spin and who spins their
bird regularly. I am also interested if you know of other owners
that have never done spins or are a little scared of them - Please
no names. I had found much misinformation regarding the spin
characteristics of my 50 when I was a new owner, mainly on the
negative/caution/scary side that I have simply found untrue. This
led me to an overcautious approach to finding the envelope on my
plane and leads me to believe there are many others who could use a
good spin training course. All planes spin a little differently but
I have found the 50 to be extremely predictable in both upright,
inverted and accelerated spins and able to recover within a few
degrees of where I want to. With hundreds of spins, it has done ex!
actly what I wanted it to every single time which was contrary to
much that I had heard as a new owner. The conclusion I've come to
is that there is a handed down fear from people not necessarily
qualified to teach spins that has negative repercussions to both old
and new owners who could really use the training.

I'll add that many CFI's who are legally "qualified" to teach spins
have no idea what is happening in a spin aerodynamically and are a
little scared of them themselves. There is no formal couse for
teaching CFI's spins. This is unfortunate as bad habits and
misinformation are passed along and perpetuated from one CFI to the
next and if there is any trepidation at all in that instructor it
will be passed immediately to the student.

Please give me your thoughts, as I absolutely do not condone
teaching yourself from books, I am under the impression that a spin/
upset attitude course by qualified instructors may be a welcome
benefit as a sidebar to some of our formation clinics.

If you are doing any aerobatics or "Extended trail" inverted
maneuvers including simple loops and rolls and are not completely
confident and comfortable doing spins I would encourage you to stop
immediately and find a qualified spin instructor for a few lessons.
With a 1000 hours teaching aerobatics I have seen more than 1 loop
wind up in an unintentional inverted spin. No big deal at all if
you have seen it before. The lessons will be extremely enjoyable
and you will have a new mastery and confidence in your flying
abilities and your aircraft, once you learn to spin a stall is a no
brainer.

The questions are this

1.Have you done a formal Spin/upset attitude course in an aerobatic
aircraft (Including Yaks/Cj's)?
Yes - started with Sergei 4-5 years ago.

Quote:

2. Have you done a Spin in your plane?
Yes

Quote:

3. Have you done an inverted spin in your plane?
Yes

Quote:

4. Have you practiced a Falling leaf stall in your plane?
No

Quote:

5. Have you practiced overshooting stalls resulting in a snap roll
and recovery from inverted flight and or wake turbulence recovery at
simulated low altitudes?
Yes

Quote:

6. Are you timid to do a spin because of something you have heard?
7. Are you timid to do a spin because of something that has happened
in your plane?
8. Have you done basic upset attitude recovery in your
plane( simulating inverted wake turbulence recovery at low altitudes)
Not intentionally Smile But practicing acro in the 55 it does happen. I

always set a floor of 1500 ft agl up to 5-6000 for practice and when
working inadvetent snaps and accelerated stall / spin happens
Quote:

9. Do you know an owner who is afraid of stalls, spins or inverted
flight in their plane?
Yes I have a good friend who will not intentionally spin his plane.

Yet he does mild acro - loops, rolls etc. Even some verticle stuff.
I think this is a recipe for disaster as the inadvertent stall spin
from an unusual attitude can be very disorienting for someone who does
not practice them. He thinks I am crazy for the acro I do. I think
he is crazy for doing the milder stuff without being trained or
experienced in stall spin. He has seen me from the ground do upright
and inverted yet will not learn them.

Herb
Quote:

Thoughts?

-Josh

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 22965#222965

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Spin Training / Upset attitude course - Informal poll Reply with quote

Just a thought, but in the Military... All branches....Basic Aerobatic
Training ... To include spin training... Is provided to the individual
BEFORE formation training.

That said: The RPA has a number of safety requirements that an
applicant must meet or perform before receiving FAST Certification.

Might it not be worth considering that any applicant for FAST
Certification also show proof of some kind of Spin Training as a
minimum? Or ... Make Spin Training part of the FAST Curriculum?

I KNOW that the points Josh has brought up, and the questions he asks at
the end of his posting, are dead nuts accurate and acting on his advice
will save lives.

Mark Bitterlich
N50YK

P.S. Josh, I heard all the same stories about the 50 as you did. My 50
has also proven to be very predictable and extremely stable at low
speed. The only "story" I have yet to experiment with is the Inverted
Snap while on a 45 down line "issue". This came from a good source
though... So ????

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

HawkerPilot2015

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Spin Training / Upset attitude course - Informal poll Reply with quote

I sought out and attended upset and spin training prior to flying my -50 for the first time. Money well spent and was also applicable to my civilian job flying the G200.

richard.goode(at)russiana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Spin Training / Upset attitude course - Informal poll Reply with quote

This is something about which I have posted several times before,but if it
saves lives it must be worth repeating.
I have no experience with the CJ family,so write only about Yaks.
It is a mistake to parcel the 50 and the 52 together.
The 50 is much lighter,and with a much lower moment of inertia when
spinning,yet with the same size control surfaces.
As such the 50 is predictable in the spin,and with powerful controls will
allways respond to normal spin recovery action.
On the other hand,while the 52 will usually recover quickly from a spin up
to one and a half turns it CAN be much more difficult to recover from a
well-developed spin,particularly if it has gone flat.
In my view,ANYONE WHO DOES AEROBATICS IN A 52, owes it to themselves,and
indeed the Yak comunity as a whole to obtain PROPER instruction from an
experienced 52 instructor.A good aerobatic pilot with different experience
is not enough!!
Richard
Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0) 1544 340120
Fax: +44 (0) 1544 340129
www.russianaeros.com
I'm currently in Sri Lanka but this Mail is working,and my local phone is
+94 779 132 160.

---

ChangDriver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Spin Training / Upset attitude course - Informal poll Reply with quote

Josh:

To address spins for the entire community, you need to address spins in the CJ - which really doesn't like to spin. However, when spinning the CJ, you can enter a steep spiral quite easily which has its own set of problems if not recognized early. I have also read that someone managed to get a CJ into a flat spin with much altitude needed for recovery. Gabby is probably the best person to discuss spin characteristics of the CJ.

I am surprised to hear that the 50 has been given a bad rap in the past. As a competition aerobatic plane, I would suspect it would be quite predictable.

I do my CFI stuff in CAP flying 182s and 172s and as such don't get the opportunity to teach or do much in the way of spinning. Most of the effort is to teach recognition of stalls or situations you can stall/spin. I've recently begun to add in a discussion on the shortcomings of having the stall warning device on only the left wing.

I think the community would be well served by a separate article in Red Alert on the spin characteristics of each of our primary aircraft: 50, 52, 55, CJ.

Craig

GreasySideUp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Spin Training / Upset attitude course - Informal poll Reply with quote

Guys, this is great stuff!! Thank you for all the emails. I am going to gather data for a little while longer and try and post results but already there is a common trend emerging. Those that have had spin and upset attitude training in any aircraft are very comfortable in their own planes but most all of you know someone who is flying aerobatics that has a fear of spins. Regardless of the characteristics between the Yaks and CJ airframes, a 1 turn vs. 3 turn vs. inverted flat, it looks as though some more education and training may be in order.

I got into a spin as a very young student pilot many years ago - during a stall a wing dropped, I put in full opposite aileron and off we went. It was followed by screaming from my instructor on how I nearly killed us with no explanation on why it happened. I carried that fear of stalls for the next 300 hours, tensing up on every check ride and never practicing on my solos for fear of killing myself. Finally I took an upset attitude course that changed everything. After a few falling leafs and spins that fear was instantly over. A stall was suddenly no big deal. What I learned is that my instructor had very limited knowledge of stalls and post departure flight and that fear was undoubtedly passed on not only me but all of his students.

I fell in love with aerobatics, got involved with competition and eventually teaching and over the years I found 2 things repeated by almost all my students. Even after an hour briefing, the vast majority, when a wing drops during a stall, will throw opposite aileron. When put in an inverted position (ie wake turbulence) they will try to pull out no matter what the altitude. Everything we learn in flying tells us to do these two things and without instruction can not be be un-learned by reading alone. It doesn't take a mastery of fully developed advanced spins (ie accelerated flat) to be safe doing aerobatics - but rather to have a full understanding of how to get into and out of a regular spin and more importantly recognize the pre-spin departure circumstances and recover before the spin develops. A developed cross controlled spin simulating an overshooting final is eye watering but if you have seen it before can easily be recognized and recovered without any altitude loss. I have seen more than one hammerhead enter an inverted spin, but if you recognize the plane is about to go it is easily avoidable and the gravity will do all the work for you. An inadvertent inverted spin by doing acro with no training however can be a recipe for disaster.

I can say this for sure, if you have trepidation at all regarding any type of stall it will be cured with a good spin training course. If you are not comfortable with spins, aerobatics and ACM should not be performed under any circumstances.

Keep the discussion going!!

Josh

ChangDriver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Spin Training / Upset attitude course - Informal poll Reply with quote

Josh:

Quote:
A developed cross controlled spin simulating an overshooting final is eye watering but if you have seen it before can easily be recognized and recovered without any altitude loss.

I'll challenge you on this. A fully developed spin has gone past the incipient stage and you have already lost altitude.

The cross-controlled stall is exciting as the wing opposite the direction of turn (the higher wing) drops and rolls the plane quite abruptly. I've only done a few, but they do get your attention.

Also, tossing in opposite aileron in an incipient spin produces adverse yaw which just makes the situation worse.

Rich Stowell in his excellent book on stalls and spins gives the PARE technique a blessing:

P - power to idle
A - Ailerons NEUTRAL
R - Full opposite rudder to stop rotation
E - Elevator forward to break the stall (reduce the AOA)

This is of course for upright stalls.

If you've ever watched a video of a test pilot in a flat spin talking thru control inputs that have no effect and then putting his hand up in the air while the plane continues to spin (attempt at the old "just let go technique") it is sobering. The pilot I watched got out only thru deployment of a spin chute. This was in a Gruman Tiger I think. Certainly not a plane certificated for doing this and after watching the video, there is a good reason why!!

Craig

GreasySideUp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Spin Training / Upset attitude course - Informal poll Reply with quote

Absolutely correct Craig, I misspoke. A developed spin will most definitely incur an altitude loss, I meant to say if you recognize it at its incipient phase you can recover before the spin develops. The difficulty with these spins is that there is very little warning and if you have not seen it before it will be difficult to recognize. There is often never enough altitude to recover from a spin in the pattern so it is paramount to know what the signs are to break that chain of events. The nose low, high side, cross controlled spins in particular are sobering to most with just how quickly they snap around. With an immediate recovery after departure it still leaves you in an extremely nose low attitude and at base altitudes are generally not recoverable. If however you have seen it before, as with all types of spins, it is easy to recognize and the real recovery happens before the aircraft ever departs.

I've found a rough Wag in most "aerobatic" aircraft is about 300-500 feet per rotation and another 500 to recover. Variations occur with more advanced spins, less advanced aircraft (ie the AT-6) or super expensive aircraft (a-la the F-16) but that is a story over a cold beer sometime....

ChangDriver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Spin Training / Upset attitude course - Informal poll Reply with quote

Josh:

I misspoke too (typing fast at work!)...the PARE technique is for recovery from a developed upright SPIN not an upright STALL.

Here is the F-22 in a stall.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR1HNDwxwpw

Craig

torque_roll(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Spin Training / Upset attitude course - Informal poll Reply with quote

The only significant time I have on any of the yak/CJ family is in the '52 C but I am interested to hear from anyone who has experience in the '55 series C what are the spin characteristics like from basic upright through to flat and inverted? Being lighter than a '52 I guess it may be similar to the '50? Curious to know.

Andrew Love

Contract Pilot
NZCPL (A)
Queenstown
New Zealand

P     +64 3 451 0396     I     F    +64 3 342 5189       I       M +64 21 818 816

[quote] From: richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Spin Training / Upset attitude course - Informal poll
Date: Tue C 6 Jan 2009 11:49:30 +0530

--> Yak-List message posted by: "Richard Goode" <richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com>

This is something about which I have posted several times before Cbut if it
saves lives it must be worth repeating.
I have no experience with the CJ family Cso write only about Yaks.
It is a mistake to parcel the 50 and the 52 together.
The 50 is much lighter Cand with a much lower moment of inertia when
spinning Cyet with the same size control surfaces.
As such the 50 is predictable in the spin Cand with powerful controls will
allways respond to normal spin recovery action.
On the other hand Cwhile the 52 will usually recover quickly from a spin up
to one and a half turns it CAN be much more difficult to recover from a
well-developed spin Cparticularly if it has gone flat.
In my view CANYONE WHO DOES AEROBATICS IN A 52 C owes it to themselves Cand
indeed the Yak comunity as a whole to obtain PROPER instruction from an
experienced 52 instructor.A good aerobatic pilot with different experience
is not enough!!
Richard
Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

www.russianaeros.com
I'm currently in Sri Lanka but this Mail is working Cand my local phone is
+94 779 132 160.

---

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Spin Training / Upset attitude course - Informal poll Reply with quote

The 50 and 55 have very different spin characteristics,but both are straightforward and predictable.
The 52 is not ALLWAYS predictable in a well-developed spin,BUT will allways recover with the correct actions,but recovery can be prolonged!

Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

www.russianaeros.com
I’m currently in Sri Lanka but this Mail is working,and my local phone is +94 779 132 160.

[quote] ---

scott-p(at)texas.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Spin Training / Upset attitude course - Informal poll Reply with quote

Hi Andrew,

I can't comment on the -52, but I have several hundred hours of
aerobatic competition and practice in the 55M.

The spin characteristics of the 55M are quite benign for a dedicated
acro plane. The break is fairly sharp with no tendency to mush at about
100-105 kph. In an upright spin the nose drops with the wing and by 90
degrees of turn is down at about 30 degrees below the horizon which is
where it stays unless some action is taken. Recovery after up to 4 turns
is simple, stick to neutral, opposite rudder to direction of spin, and
it takes slightly less than 1/4 turn to stop. Increasing power to about
60-70% during the recovery tends to speed up the recovery. Inverted the
situation is nearly identical, although recovery takes longer with power
off, more like 1/3 turn. With practice, the airplane can be successfully
spun with power anywhere from idle to about 90%. Flat spins can be
produced by adding power after the initial 1/2 turn to any spin, and the
effect is to bring the nose up to the horizon and increase the turn
rate. Particularly in the inverted setting, when flat, if power is not
reduced, the stick forces require both hands be used and the stick
should be pinned back or forward until rotation stops and the nose
pitches down. In "normal" (i.e,. not flat, non-accelerated) spins, the
airplane does recover with the Beggs-Mueller "hands-off" technique, but
it will not do so from a flat or accelerated spin, and requires positive
recovery in those cases.

It has little or no tendency to tumble, and has no odd spin modes (by
contrast, the Su-29 has some very odd spin modes that can be entered
with large oscillations of pitch, and a tendency to enter a tumble if
the recovery is mis-managed). I actual practice the Russians teach a
technique which allows the pilot to control the spin throughout the
incipient and early developed stages. It requires leaving power on and a
judicious combination of stick and pedal inputs, but once mastered
allows one to create a perfectly reproducible spin under any conditions.
DO NOT try to learn this yourself, rather get a Russian coach to teach
you. It isn't hard, but is somewhat disconcerting when tried the first
about 100 times.

Hope this helps.

Scott Poehlmann
Yak 55M
N155YK

Andrew Love wrote:
[quote] The only significant time I have on any of the yak/CJ family is in the
'52, but I am interested to hear from anyone who has experience in the
'55 series, what are the spin characteristics like from basic upright
through to flat and inverted? Being lighter than a '52 I guess it may
be similar to the '50? Curious to know.
/Andrew Love/

/Contract Pilot /

/NZCPL (A)/
*Queenstown*

*New Zealand*
*//*
*/P +64 3 451 0396 I F +64 3 342 5189 I M
+64 21 818 816/*

> From: richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com
> To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
> Subject: Re: Spin Training / Upset attitude course -
Informal poll
> Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 11:49:30 +0530
>
>
<richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com>
>
> This is something about which I have posted several times before,but
if it
> saves lives it must be worth repeating.
> I have no experience with the CJ family,so write only about Yaks.
> It is a mistake to parcel the 50 and the 52 together.
> The 50 is much lighter,and with a much lower moment of inertia when
> spinning,yet with the same size control surfaces.
> As such the 50 is predictable in the spin,and with powerful controls
will
> allways respond to normal spin recovery action.
> On the other hand,while the 52 will usually recover quickly from a
spin up
> to one and a half turns it CAN be much more difficult to recover from a
> well-developed spin,particularly if it has gone flat.
> In my view,ANYONE WHO DOES AEROBATICS IN A 52, owes it to
themselves,and
> indeed the Yak comunity as a whole to obtain PROPER instruction from an
> experienced 52 instructor.A good aerobatic pilot with different
experience
> is not enough!!
> Richard
> Richard Goode Aerobatics
> Rhodds Farm
> Lyonshall
> Hereford
> HR5 3LW
> United Kingdom
>
> Tel: +44 (0) 1544 340120
> Fax: +44 (0) 1544 340129
> www.russianaeros.com
> I'm currently in Sri Lanka but this Mail is working,and my local
phone is
> +94 779 132 160.
>
>
>
> ---

drc(at)wscare.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Spin Training / Upset attitude course - Informal poll Reply with quote

Could Scott and Richard address the developed spin and fuel load
topic? I know what I have been told and read, but I would be
interested to hear their opinions and I would like them to post so in
the archives people can search and find this information. In the 55M
and the 52TW there are fuel limitations that I understand to limit the
ability to recover from the developed spin. I believe there have been
some pilots in the standard 52 go to the ground because of the same
thing, I anm not as familiar with the standard 52 though. Yet the
Sukhoi does not have this limitation as the fuel is in the fuselage -
centrally located in the spin.

Thanks,
Herb
On Jan 8, 2009, at 6:52 AM, Scott Poehlmann wrote:

[quote]

Hi Andrew,

I can't comment on the -52, but I have several hundred hours of
aerobatic competition and practice in the 55M.

The spin characteristics of the 55M are quite benign for a dedicated
acro plane. The break is fairly sharp with no tendency to mush at
about 100-105 kph. In an upright spin the nose drops with the wing
and by 90 degrees of turn is down at about 30 degrees below the
horizon which is where it stays unless some action is taken.
Recovery after up to 4 turns is simple, stick to neutral, opposite
rudder to direction of spin, and it takes slightly less than 1/4
turn to stop. Increasing power to about 60-70% during the recovery
tends to speed up the recovery. Inverted the situation is nearly
identical, although recovery takes longer with power off, more like
1/3 turn. With practice, the airplane can be successfully spun with
power anywhere from idle to about 90%. Flat spins can be produced by
adding power after the initial 1/2 turn to any spin, and the effect
is to bring the nose up to the horizon and increase the turn rate.
Particularly in the inverted setting, when flat, if power is not
reduced, the stick forces require both hands be used and the stick
should be pinned back or forward until rotation stops and the nose
pitches down. In "normal" (i.e,. not flat, non-accelerated) spins,
the airplane does recover with the Beggs-Mueller "hands-off"
technique, but it will not do so from a flat or accelerated spin,
and requires positive recovery in those cases.

It has little or no tendency to tumble, and has no odd spin modes
(by contrast, the Su-29 has some very odd spin modes that can be
entered with large oscillations of pitch, and a tendency to enter a
tumble if the recovery is mis-managed). I actual practice the
Russians teach a technique which allows the pilot to control the
spin throughout the incipient and early developed stages. It
requires leaving power on and a judicious combination of stick and
pedal inputs, but once mastered allows one to create a perfectly
reproducible spin under any conditions. DO NOT try to learn this
yourself, rather get a Russian coach to teach you. It isn't hard,
but is somewhat disconcerting when tried the first about 100 times.

Hope this helps.

Scott Poehlmann
Yak 55M
N155YK

Andrew Love wrote:
> The only significant time I have on any of the yak/CJ family is in
> the '52, but I am interested to hear from anyone who has experience
> in the '55 series, what are the spin characteristics like from
> basic upright through to flat and inverted? Being lighter than a
> '52 I guess it may be similar to the '50? Curious to know.
> /Andrew Love/
>
> /Contract Pilot /
>
> /NZCPL (A)/
> *Queenstown*
>
> *New Zealand*
> *//* */P +64 3 451 0396 I F +64 3 342 5189
> I M +64 21 818 816/*
>
> > From: richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com
> > To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
> > Subject: Re: Spin Training / Upset attitude course -
> Informal poll
> > Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 11:49:30 +0530
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > This is something about which I have posted several times
> before,but if it
> > saves lives it must be worth repeating.
> > I have no experience with the CJ family,so write only about Yaks.
> > It is a mistake to parcel the 50 and the 52 together.
> > The 50 is much lighter,and with a much lower moment of inertia when
> > spinning,yet with the same size control surfaces.
> > As such the 50 is predictable in the spin,and with powerful
> controls will
> > allways respond to normal spin recovery action.
> > On the other hand,while the 52 will usually recover quickly from
> a spin up
> > to one and a half turns it CAN be much more difficult to recover
> from a
> > well-developed spin,particularly if it has gone flat.
> > In my view,ANYONE WHO DOES AEROBATICS IN A 52, owes it to
> themselves,and
> > indeed the Yak comunity as a whole to obtain PROPER instruction
> from an
> > experienced 52 instructor.A good aerobatic pilot with different
> experience
> > is not enough!!
> > Richard
> > Richard Goode Aerobatics
> > Rhodds Farm
> > Lyonshall
> > Hereford
> > HR5 3LW
> > United Kingdom
> >
> > Tel: +44 (0) 1544 340120
> > Fax: +44 (0) 1544 340129
> > www.russianaeros.com
> > I'm currently in Sri Lanka but this Mail is working,and my local
> phone is
> > +94 779 132 160.
> >
> >
> >
> > ---

mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Spin Training / Upset attitude course - Informal poll Reply with quote

The 50 has an asymmetrical low-wing, basically a Clark style airfoil.
The 55 has a symmetrical mid-wing. The aerobatic performance of the 55
has been noted to be somewhat of a "Poor Man's Sukhoi". These are two
totally different aircraft, with the 55 being more likened to the Sukhoi
26 than say the YAK-50. I think Richard Goode has flown all three. I
have flown a 50 and a 55, and the 50 has much better low speed
performance. I did not spin the 55, so this is not really an answer to
your question, but just a simple observation.

Mark Bitterlich
N50YK
--

Etienne Verhellen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Spin Training, Upset attitude recovery ... etc ... Reply with quote

Spinning in the Yak 52 ... is good FUN !! Wink)
But get proper type specific training in YOUR Yak 52.

A few observations ... (repeat)

1. It doesn't hurt to use 2 hands on the stick to recover from a "good" flat
spin. The Russians do it.

2. A great way to enter a good flat spin is a modified stall turn (hammerhead).
I mean, this is the easiest way to consistently enter into an intentional flat spin during training.
So I guess if you are going to fly stall turns it is probably a good idea to ask an instructor to show you what a flat spin entry and recovery looks like ...

3. Once the spin has been flattened (out-spin aileron) it can be further accelerated by unloading the elevator a small amount.

Are we having FUN yet ?

http://www.irishairpics.com/database/photo/1029467/
http://www.forseilles.net/gallery/sanicole/B2V0752
http://www.aerobatics.org.uk/photos/displayimage.php?pos=-764

4. Recovery from this intentional flat spin would work something like that :
opposite rudder, stick back (if you have unloaded), stick to the other
side and then forward. Recovery will be more consistent than going
straight to the "final" position.

5. Recovery will be faster (and easier) WITH power ON ... if you know
what you are doing.
To recover from intentional (flat) spinning the correct control will always work. In the Yak-52, they will work better with power on.

The wrong inputs will not recover from a spin.

The wrong inputs with power on will make the lack of recovery even
more certain.

6. As for the Inverted accelerated and Inverted flat spins, I find them
quite hard to maintain because of the centrifugal force under negative
g's. And remember out-spin aileron in an inverted spin means moving
the aileron control to the same side to that which the rudder is applied.

7 . What about the cross-over spin : entering an inverted spin from a stall
in level upright flight ?

8. Competition spins ?
One turn - 1 turn and 1/4 - 1 turn and 1/2 ...
(Exits must be vertical).

9. Or going straight from a one turn and a half upright spin into an
inverted spin, a potentially disconcerting and dangerous situation ...

The so-called "change-over" spin ... WAOW ... now that's FUN !!

Etc ... etc ...

So to state the obvious one more time :

Emergency and planned (spin) RECOVERY techniques must be taught - in a TYPE specific manner - with an Instructor experienced on TYPE.
Cheers,

Etienne. Very Happy

Yak 52 "janie" (G-CBSS).

Having FUN with Yak 52 ...

http://forums.matronics.com/download.php?id=8502
http://forums.matronics.com/download.php?id=8503
http://forums.matronics.com/download.php?id=8504
http://forums.matronics.com/download.php?id=8505
http://forums.matronics.com/download.php?id=8506
http://forums.matronics.com/download.php?id=8507
http://forums.matronics.com/download.php?id=8508
http://forums.matronics.com/download.php?id=5512
http://forums.matronics.com/download.php?id=5514
http://forums.matronics.com/download.php?id=5515
http://www.matronics.com/photoshare/tis1_verod(at)scarlet.be.11.12.2008/Break.jpg
http://www.matronics.com/photoshare/tis1_verod(at)scarlet.be.11.12.2008/Line_Astern_-_Cerfontaine_2008.jpg
http://www.matronics.com/photoshare/tis1_verod(at)scarlet.be.11.12.2008/REJ_428_2823.jpg
http://www.matronics.com/photoshare/tis1_verod(at)scarlet.be.11.12.2008/Yak_52__G-CBSS_FLAT_SPIN.jpg
http://www.matronics.com/photoshare/tis1_verod(at)scarlet.be.11.12.2008/yak52.jpg

...... HAPPY 2009 ..................................

https://www.yakovlevs.com/the-team/pilots-and-crew/
nigel(at)yakdisplay.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Spin Training / Upset attitude course - Informal poll Reply with quote

'52 flat spin training starts at 10,000 feet, with both wearing parachutes.
Gives a lot of time to se the effects of power and controls on the way down.
Brief is that IF it doesn't recover by 4000', GIB gets out to bring C0fG
forward.
Then GIF has until 2500 with full (and held there) anti- flat spin controls
before he gets out too if not recovered.

That's the brief I use, but have never had to use it. All the '52s I've flow
ALWAYS come out IF the FULL anti-FLAT spin controls are held there (Full
opposite rudder, Full forward stick, Full in spin aileron). Sometimes takes
5 turns to have an effect - which is too long for some people who relax the
controls before then - a big no-no.

Nigel.

--

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Spin Training / Upset attitude course - Informal poll Reply with quote

In reply to Herb Coussons,my personal view is that fuel load is not a
significant factor in 52 spinning,mainly because the standard tanks are
fairly small.
BUT anything,like wing fuel that increases rotational inertia will prolong
spin recovery.
The Sukhois were all tested with full wing tanks[in 26MX;29 and 31]where the
quantity is significant-55 US gallons and recovery is slower but totally
predictable and safe.
I do not believe that any of the 52 spinning accidents have been caused by
full tanks,but it might have been a factor.
Richard
Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

www.russianaeros.com
I'm currently in Sri Lanka but this Mail is working,and my local phone is
+94 779 132 160.

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: