Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New EFIS on the Horizon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dashvii(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: New EFIS on the Horizon Reply with quote

All C
   In the past decade we have seen a revolution in cockpit technology as affordable EFIS and AHRS have made their way into GA cockpits.  I grew up in the computer age and find it fairly easy to switch between different EFIS displays.  I realize that many of you C and many of the engineers who design these systems did not though.  I have been looking for something more exciting.  I have been envisioning a series of smart MFD's that would have user definable presets C intuitive use C and touch sensitive.  Alas C they are not available....yet.

What I found was a unique system that if it works as advertise will be an incredible leap forward.  I mean this would leave the B787 pilots wanting.  Imagine a touch screen system that uses some of the same technology as the I-Phone.  When the display is off it simply looks like a shiny piece of plastic.  When the displays come to life they are crisp and readable in the sunlight.  They give you the ability to have a virtual horizon C engine display C navigational display C moving map C VHF and built in transponder C traffic avoidance C digital music input C auto CG and in flight weight determination C and much more.  Pair it up with the Smartstick or Smartyoke display and you'll get a small quick select menu which can control lights C display the top 10 nearest airports with a direct to function C set all radios to a "home" airport C dial cell phone numbers and pipe it through your headset C control panel display brightness C and display all your personal checklists.  The displays come in a 3.7 inch screen and a 5.7 inch screen and both panels are around 1.5 inches deep.  All displays link up and cross communicate with one another.  If your digital radio fails for whatever reason on one screen then you can pull it up on another screen adding redundance.  If your engine fails in flight it can be set to display the appropriate checklist.  Alternator stops charging the battery C pulls up that appropriate checklist.  Change your mind and want to go to another airport off-course C or want to add in a waypoint you simply touch the screen where you want to add that in.  For me I love the data collecting and analysis.  Well C with one of the functions it will record all flight C GPS Nav C and engine data for the entire flight to a USB drive. 

It is true that it's still in development.  Last year they were projecting the price for 8 displays to run around $13 C000.  That's still a little steep for a lot of people C but how much of that functionality do you have with your current setup?  If you get 2 screens what does that come out to be?  I'm not sure C but I think that it'd be pretty competitive pricing.  You could have a fully customized panel (similar to some custom audio car panels) which would look almost entirely like a single piece of shiny black plastic when the system is off C and then when you power it up it all comes alive.  For you old military types C they also plan to have an optional HUD.  Plenty of other goodies like an integrated black box C autopilot C trim C flaps C backup battery C RAT (Ram Air Turbine for emergency power).  It also is supposed to draw about 500mA per display.  Do the math on that C it's really good. 

Just armchair flying and dreaming of the not too distant future.  Check it out for yourselves here: http://www.pkaviation.com.au/page8.htm and here: http://www.pkaviation.com.au/page19.htm 

P.S. The Aveorack rocker switches are pretty sweet too.  Let me know what you guys think.  Brian W.
It’s the same Hotmail®. If by “same” you mean up to 70% faster. Get your account now. [quote][b]

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
Colin K.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: New EFIS on the Horizon Reply with quote

There is a US distributor for these products. I agree that they look interesting, but I have the impression they have been "just around the corner" for a considerable time now:

www.aveousa.com

Colin K.
OK
Lightning # 52 under construction.
http://www.mykitlog.com/cojaken
[quote]
--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pequeajim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: New EFIS on the Horizon Reply with quote

I like their rocker switches, nice. They are very artistic in all of their designs. Their flight deck has been a long time coming.

From: owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Colin J. Kennedy
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 6:53 PM
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: New EFIS on the Horizon

There is a US distributor for these products. I agree that they look interesting, but I have the impression they have been "just around the corner" for a considerable time now:

www.aveousa.com

Colin K.
OK
Lightning # 52 under construction.
http://www.mykitlog.com/cojaken
[quote]
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: