Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Other Door Questions - Skyshop Products

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
txpilot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Other Door Questions - Skyshop Products Reply with quote

I'm working on installing a set of bubble doors purchased from Skyshop and I have a few questions. I tried asking Skyshop, but they said they don't support ZAC anymore.

The doors were supplied with 70 A5 rivets, 30 A4 rivets, and 35 rivets I've never seen before (in picture on left). They appear to be 1/8", but I'm wondering if they're specifically made for riveting lexan. What the heck are these, and where do I use them?

Second issue: is there any good technique for riveting the lexan to the door? I have a plexiglass bit and step unibit for drilling, but it seems bending the lexan in place on the top and bottom flange will almost certainly crack it.

Third issue: someone on this forum mentioned problems with mounting the gas strut on the rear door tube, saying the door flexes when pulled down. Has anyone else had this issue? Anyone try mounting the gas strut on the forward tube and cabin frame?

Issue #4: related to a recent post of a door coming off in flight, I'm thinking of another solution. I'm considering purchasing a couple Quick Release pins from Aircraft Spruce ( http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/qkreleasepin.php ), drilling a 1/4" hole in the door latch and strike plate, and simply inserting the pin prior to flight. I think the pin should be able to come out quickly in the event of an emergency. Any thoughts on problems with this solution?

Thanks for any help.

Dan Ginty
N787DG

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

Door Hardware Issue.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  592.68 KB
 Viewed:  1776 Time(s)

Door Hardware Issue.JPG

randy(at)rjhebertassoc.co

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Other Door Questions - Skyshop Products Reply with quote

I think they look sort of like Cherry rivets. Supposedly a substitute
for Solid Rivets but CH doesn't favor them too much.

Randall J Hebert

I'm working on installing a set of bubble doors purchased from Skyshop
and I have a few questions. I tried asking Skyshop, but they said they
don't support ZAC anymore.
Thanks for any help.

Dan Ginty
N787DG

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dougsnash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Other Door Questions - Skyshop Products Reply with quote

Dan, my only concern with pinning the door latch in flight is that if you were in an accident that disabled you (out cold) and someone was trying to rescue you. Having the door pinned closed could slow things down quite a bit. I think the horizontal bar idea JG posted would be a better solution as a supplimentary door closure.

Doug MacDonald
CH-701 Scratch Builder
NW Ontario, Canada

Do Not Archive

Quote:

Issue #4: related to a recent post of a door coming off in
flight, I'm thinking of another solution. I'm
considering purchasing a couple Quick Release pins from
Aircraft Spruce (
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/qkreleasepin.php
), drilling a 1/4" hole in the door latch and strike
plate, and simply inserting the pin prior to flight. I
think the pin should be able to come out quickly in the
event of an emergency. Any thoughts on problems with this
solution?

Thanks for any help.

Dan Ginty
N787DG

Curt.Thompson(at)verizon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Other Door Questions - Skyshop Products Reply with quote

The rivet on the left looks like a "closed end blind rivet" like the ones I
used to make my glued-up fuel tanks. They are capped at the end so that
stuff (fuel or air) does not bleed through the stem. I don't think they
would work any different than the Avex rivets for this purpose. I don't see
where these would work any better for lexan. They probably included them
because that is what they had on hand.

Curt

kmccune

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Other Door Questions - Skyshop Products Reply with quote

They seem to have a lot of 701 stuff on their website yet, for a company not supporting 701s.

do not archive

Kevin

"Real freedom is the sustained act of being an individual." WW - 2009

"Life is a good deal...it's worth it" Feb 1969
Dorothy McCune
n801bh(at)netzero.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Other Door Questions - Skyshop Products Reply with quote

Let me get this straight.. You bought some doors from Skyshop and now Danny says he doesn't support ZAC anymore ? He sold the doors,, He took your money. He should support them . Period !
do not archive

Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

-- "txpilot" <djg7(at)comcast.net> wrote:
--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: "txpilot" <djg7(at)comcast.net>

I'm working on installing a set of bubble doors purchased from Skyshop and I have a few questions. I tried asking Skyshop, but they said they don't support ZAC anymore.

The doors were supplied with 70 A5 rivets, 30 A4 rivets, and 35 rivets I've never seen before (in picture on left). They appear to be 1/8", but I'm wondering if they're specifically made for riveting lexan. What the heck are these, and where do I use them?

Second issue: is there any good technique for riveting the lexan to the door? I have a plexiglass bit and step unibit for drilling, but it seems bending the lexan in place on the top and bottom flange will almost certainly crack it.

Third issue: someone on this forum mentioned problems with mounting the gas strut on the rear door tube, saying the door flexes when pulled down. Has anyone else had this issue? Anyone try mounting the gas strut on the forward tube and cabin frame?

Issue #4: related to a recent post of a door coming off in flight, I'm thinking of another solution. I'm considering purchasing a couple Quick Release pins from Aircraft Spruce ( http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/qkreleasepin.php ), drilling a 1/4" hole in the door latch and strike plate, and simply inserting the pin prior to flight. I think the pin should be able to come out quickly in the event of an emergency. Any thoughts on problems with this solution?

Thanks for any help.

Dan Ginty
N787DG

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=223536#223536

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/door_har========================================================================bsp; - MATRON========================; - List Contsp; &nb=========================================================

txpilot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Other Door Questions - Skyshop Products Reply with quote

Quote:
They seem to have a lot of 701 stuff on their website yet, for a company not supporting 701s.

do not archive

Kevin

I asked them about that. They said they really don't have control of their website anymore. They want to remove that information since they don't have anything for Zenith Aircraft in stock anymore. No, I don't get it either.

To their credit, they were somewhat helpful in identifying the mysterious rivet. It is normally used for fuel tanks because the mandrel provides an air and water-tight seal. They indicated it's meant for riveting the lexan to the door. No, I don't quite get that one either.

Anyway, they said just follow the instructions provided. Here's the problem: they never provided instructions and don't have any available! They said I could follow the ZAC plans for the bubble doors (pictorial guides), but I always saw those as a bit cryptic.

Okay, I'm done complaining now. I'm getting back to work on my doors.

Dan

billmileski

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Other Door Questions - Skyshop Products Reply with quote

Dan,
I installed the Skyshop doors a couple years back, and I'm not sure if they've changed since, but a couple things about mine that may help:

1. The material that my windows were made of, was not acrylic (plexi) or lexan (polycarbonate). It is a softer material that is popular with tradeshow and display booth manufacturers. When I got the doors, I did a web search and found that this industrial material was more tolerant of drilling, available in a UV-resistant coating, and optically excellent. I remember trimming an edge with snips! Upside: You can drill it with normal bits, and rivet it with standard rivet hole sizes. I still put small plastic washers under the rivet heads (I had a bunch on hand). 150 hours and no issues. Downside: The material is a little softer, and I think scratches more easily, but I don't have excessive scratches after many careful cleanings (never ammonia, always water and Plexus).

I just searched all my stored docs and links, and can't find the trade name of the stuff.

2. The gas strut: Its short length, and attachment very close to the door hinge (door end), puts quite a bit of stress on the door because of poor mechanical advantage. In other than summer weather, it generally won't hold the door in the up position. The design might have been better with a longer strut and door-end attachment a little farther away from the hinge. However, no excessive wear on my door, and I have been happy with them actually. I installed using the dimensions/comments on pics at the Skyshop website ( http://skyshops.org/701%20bin/door%20install%20pic.JPG http://skyshops.org/701%20bin/door%20install%20pic2.JPG )

3. Hinge: Consider replacing the provided hinge pin with one that sticks out of the hinge about an inch (i.e. longer), and bend this extra to 90deg, and use it as a handle to allow fast insertion and removal.. so you can fly without the doors when it's hot. It's really fun!

4. The mystery rivets: Just had a thought -- I remember that the stress on the attach point on the door, for the gas strut, is high. Maybe these rivets are a little stronger? Not sure if they retain a steel mandrel like the Avex ones? If you think they're stronger, may want to consider using them at that location..

Bill Mileski
701 912S 150 or so hrs
Ledyard, CT

txpilot wrote:
Quote:

do not archive

Kevin

I asked them about that. They said they really don't have control of their website anymore. They want to remove that information since they don't have anything for Zenith Aircraft in stock anymore. No, I don't get it either.

To their credit, they were somewhat helpful in identifying the mysterious rivet. It is normally used for fuel tanks because the mandrel provides an air and water-tight seal. They indicated it's meant for riveting the lexan to the door. No, I don't quite get that one either.

Anyway, they said just follow the instructions provided. Here's the problem: they never provided instructions and don't have any available! They said I could follow the ZAC plans for the bubble doors (pictorial guides), but I always saw those as a bit cryptic.

Okay, I'm done complaining now. I'm getting back to work on my doors.

Dan

RayStL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Other Door Questions - Skyshop Products Reply with quote

I have the doors too. I believe they use extruded polyester. I forget the brand name. It appears to be available in Europe but I could not find it available on this continent. It has properties very similar to polycarbonate (e.g. Lexan). I miscut a panel on one side initially so ended up getting some polycarbonate from Aircraft Spruce. Both sides have stress cracks.

On the safety latch subject, these doors have an extra ‘tab’ that can be used from the inside to snug the back end into the fuselage. On climbout in one flight the main latch opened on my side (not sure if I hit it with my hand by mistake or if I never secured it properly in the first place). The door front opened like a mouth with just the back latch holding it until I got the door closed again.

- ray

billmileski

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Other Door Questions - Skyshop Products Reply with quote

Okay, I stumbled upon a pic of my doors before installation, and the protective film says "Bayer Axpet". Web search confirms they are polyester sheet. I am surprised you see any stress cracking in this material because it seemed to plastically deform (e.g. bend a crease by hand and it gets cloudy and stretches). Maybe I'm mis-remembering..

Bill

RayStL wrote:
I have the doors too. I believe they use extruded polyester. I forget the brand name. It appears to be available in Europe but I could not find it available on this continent. It has properties very similar to polycarbonate (e.g. Lexan). I miscut a panel on one side initially so ended up getting some polycarbonate from Aircraft Spruce. Both sides have stress cracks.

On the safety latch subject, these doors have an extra ‘tab’ that can be used from the inside to snug the back end into the fuselage. On climbout in one flight the main latch opened on my side (not sure if I hit it with my hand by mistake or if I never secured it properly in the first place). The door front opened like a mouth with just the back latch holding it until I got the door closed again.

- ray

RayStL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Other Door Questions - Skyshop Products Reply with quote

I was surprised too. I can only assume it was builder error. Perhaps I should have lowered the pressure on my rivet gun.??

- ray

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: