Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trailering a KitfoxTrailering a Kitfox
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Trailering a KitfoxTrailering a Kitfox Reply with quote

Bob-

I welded up the trailer in my driveway specifically to fit the Avid -- it is a single axle with minimal spring stiffness --2 leaves. I live on the outskirts of Wash. DC and have to trailer the bird some 50 miles each way to Frederick Muni each time I fly to get out of the ADIZ. The mains are secured with tire chains and the tailwheel is secured with a specially welded up clamp. I have recently added supports for the empennage which fasten iinto the cross tubes for towing on its own wheels which takes all of the weight off of the tail spring. I will attach a couple of photos, but the trailer details can best be seen posted on the Avid Flyer list under Pops' Avid A.

Actually, while trailering, the wingtips are right behind the car's rear window, and their movement can be observed easily. The struts that hold the wings in the folded position will keep the wings from swinging out, but do little to restrain their up/down movement. This is why I added the struts down to the cross tubes to triangulate that support location. Without the added struts, the tips would move up and down on rough roads. Presently, the tips are absolutely fixed and no movement is possible. Other than truck vortices, I have never observed any wind generated movement since adding the braces.

I haven't used the front spar braces, as I don't think that do much with my triangulated wing support taking the load. My attach point failure occurred some 7-8 years ago, and I did a lot of thinking then to make changes to prevent it from ever occurring again.

Pops

[img]cid:3F814FC4C3B646F98BC7FCCA7605050A(at)EEEPC[/img]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

Avid_on_my_Aircraft_Carrier.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  72.77 KB
 Viewed:  658 Time(s)

matronics(at)bob.brennan.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Trailering a KitfoxTrailering a Kitfox Reply with quote

Hey Pops,

I really envy you guys that can make your own trailer just by "weldin' somethin' up". I especially like the way you have mounted the lights and license plate on the bottom side of the ramps, which are the back side of the trailer whilst towing. Very clever. Did you have to get a VIN for the trailer where you live?

I can't quite make out the added support struts in this picture, could you point me to the Avid Flyer list so I can have a look at the other pictures please?

bob

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Chuck Popenoe
Sent: 08 January 2009 9:49 am
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Trailering a KitfoxTrailering a Kitfox

Bob-

I welded up the trailer in my driveway specifically to fit the Avid -- it is a single axle with minimal spring stiffness --2 leaves. I live on the outskirts of Wash. DC and have to trailer the bird some 50 miles each way to Frederick Muni each time I fly to get out of the ADIZ. The mains are secured with tire chains and the tailwheel is secured with a specially welded up clamp. I have recently added supports for the empennage which fasten iinto the cross tubes for towing on its own wheels which takes all of the weight off of the tail spring. I will attach a couple of photos, but the trailer details can best be seen posted on the Avid Flyer list under Pops' Avid A.

Actually, while trailering, the wingtips are right behind the car's rear window, and their movement can be observed easily. The struts that hold the wings in the folded position will keep the wings from swinging out, but do little to restrain their up/down movement. This is why I added the struts down to the cross tubes to triangulate that support location. Without the added struts, the tips would move up and down on rough roads. Presently, the tips are absolutely fixed and no movement is possible. Other than truck vortices, I have never observed any wind generated movement since adding the braces.

I haven't used the front spar braces, as I don't think that do much with my triangulated wing support taking the load. My attach point failure occurred some 7-8 years ago, and I did a lot of thinking then to make changes to prevent it from ever occurring again.

Pops

[img]cid:734412415(at)08012009-1DCE[/img]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Description:
 Viewed:  521 Time(s)

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Trailering a KitfoxTrailering a Kitfox Reply with quote

On my trailer I folded the ramps all the way back to touch the tires and them in place. A good cou0poe of good size blocks to guide the wheels in place and the ramps to lock them down is all the front end ever needs.

Now I have a welder I’m thinking of welding up a ramp to take my tail wheel. But I’ll design an empennage support into it. I’ll probably still tie the tail wheel three ways for security. All I have to do is figure out when I’ll have the plane off floats again.

Noel

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Chuck Popenoe
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2009 11:19 AM

Bob-

Pops

[img]cid:image001.jpg(at)01C97195.8477CF80[/img]

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  589 Time(s)

image001.jpg

Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Trailering a KitfoxTrailering a Kitfox Reply with quote

I made ramps for the mains, which hinge down, and are pinned in place
when the plane is on board. I built a separate ramp for the
tailwheel, and it is pinned to the trailer when not in use. To load,
I pin the ramp in place attaching it to the center channel, then
winch the tailwheel up the center ramp and toward the front of the
trailer.

One word of warning: I built my trailer while I was waiting for my
engine to arrive. I thought I was making a trailer that would be
suitable for various width planes, but with the engine installed, the
landing gear got a little wider, and barely fits now...about a 1/4"
to spare on the outside of each tire.

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, #2062, 596+ hrs
Sensenich 62x46
flying again after engine rebuild, and new Electroair direct-fire
ignition system;
also building a new pair of snow skis

On Jan 8, 2009, at 12:04 PM, Noel Loveys wrote:

Quote:
On my trailer I folded the ramps all the way back to touch the
tires and them in place. A good cou0poe of good size blocks to
guide the wheels in place and the ramps to lock them down is all
the front end ever needs.

Now I have a welder I’m thinking of welding up a ramp to take my
tail wheel. But I’ll design an empennage support into it. I’ll
probably still tie the tail wheel three ways for security. All I
have to do is figure out when I’ll have the plane off floats again.

Noel

100_1601.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  529.22 KB
 Viewed:  621 Time(s)

100_1601.jpg

n85ae

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Trailering a KitfoxTrailering a Kitfox Reply with quote

matronics(at)bob.brennan. wrote:

I really envy you guys that can make your own trailer just by "weldin' somethin' up". I especially like the way you have mounted the lights and license plate on the bottom side of the ramps, which are the back side of the trailer whilst towing. Very clever. Did you have to get a VIN for the trailer where you live?

I bought a Mig welder, chop saw, and an angle grinder when I needed a
trailer. I've built two now. It's dead simple, and kind of like making stuff
with a big hot glue gun. Of course I spent a lot of evenings practicing
welding after I got the welder first. Smile

Registration in Illinois, is as easy as walking in the sec state office filling
out a homebuilt trailer form, writing a check, and leaving. Last one I
think I was in and out in less than 10 minutes.

Regards, Jeff
Kitfox 5, IO-240B

cliffh(at)outdrs.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Trailering a KitfoxTrailering a Kitfox Reply with quote

There is a local pilot that trailered an Avid down from Alaska.
He did not use the support tubes from the leading edge spar to the lower wing strut attachment.
He completely destroyed the fuselage center section where the rear strut attaches.

Floran Higgins
Helena, Mt.
Speedster
912ULS
[quote] ---

Description:
 Viewed:  579 Time(s)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Trailering a KitfoxTrailering a Kitfox Reply with quote

Floran,

Could you elaborate on "completely destroyed" and give any details as to how the plane was being trailered? I think everyone on this list agrees you can seriously damage a Kitfox by trailering it, we just don't agree on the details of how *not* to damage it. Any and all real information is welcome here.

Thanks,

Bob Brennan - N717GB
ELSA Repairman, inspection rated
1991 UK Model 2 ELSA Kitfox
Rotax 582 with 3 blade prop
Wrightsville Pa

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of floran higgins
Sent: 08 January 2009 2:43 pm

There is a local pilot that trailered an Avid down from Alaska.
He did not use the support tubes from the leading edge spar to the lower wing strut attachment.
He completely destroyed the fuselage center section where the rear strut attaches.

Floran Higgins
Helena, Mt.
Speedster
912ULS
[quote] ---

Description:
 Viewed:  585 Time(s)

akflyer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailering a KitfoxTrailering a Kitfox Reply with quote

hmm.. My brother trailered his from OK to AK and didnt hurt anything. He had the trailer loaded down pretty good so the suspension was actually working to some degree. I think alot of issues are trailering long distances on an equipment trailer that is rated for 8-10,000# and only putting 600# on it. All the shock goes straight to the plane.

Johns kitfox on trailer.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.93 KB
 Viewed:  577 Time(s)

Johns kitfox on trailer.jpg

Avid "C" / Mk IV
582 (147 hrs and counting on the rebuild)
IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1450
#1 snake oil salesman since 1-22-2009

I would rather die trying to live, than to live trying not to die....

Last edited by akflyer on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
cliffh(at)outdrs.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Trailering a KitfoxTrailering a Kitfox Reply with quote

I don't have any infromation on what kind of a trailer he used or how he had it tied down.
The rear carry through structure that the rear spar attaches to was completely tore apart. They have been working to repair it for over two years and arn't complety finished yet.

Floran Higgins
Helena, Mt.
Speedster
912 ULS
[quote] ---

Description:
 Viewed:  578 Time(s)

cliffh(at)outdrs.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Trailering a KitfoxTrailering a Kitfox Reply with quote

I think that this fellows problem was caused because he did not have the
brace on the leading edge spars.
I trailered my speedster from Victorville Ca. to Helena, Mt. on a 20 ft
snowmobile trailer. I had everything properly braced and tied down and
didn't have any problems.

Floran Higgins
Speedster 912 ULS
---

chuckp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Trailering a KitfoxTrailering a Kitfox Reply with quote

Bob -

I'm on both Kitfox and Avid lists, lots of good stuff! The Avid list is on Yahoo groups. Try the below URL to get on the Yahoo groups Avid site. You will have to join in order to see the photos or post messages, but why not? My photos are under "Pops' Avid A".

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/avid_flyer/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=1
[quote][b]

chuckp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Trailering a KitfoxTrailering a Kitfox Reply with quote

I would bet anything that the cause of his wrecking the hinge tubes on the AK roads is the same as what caused my fatigue problem, Without a fixed outer wing support, while going over rouigh roads, the wings are fixed only at the rear spar hinge tube and at the lower lift strut hinge points. Inertial loads cause the wings to pivot around the lower lift strut hinge and apply alternating loads to the upper hinge tube, which will cause it to fatigue eventually. The leading edge brace strut may be a good idea, but will do nothing to prevent this from happening. An additional strut brace from the tow-bar cross tube to the folding strut attach tab will, however, take the inertial loads and keep 'em off of the hinge tube. I use a long 3/8" bolt with a wingnut and safety pin to attach the struts to the cross tube.

Since making this mod, I have trailered many thousands of miles successfully.

Pops
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Trailering a KitfoxTrailering a Kitfox Reply with quote

Thanks Chuck, I've joined the Avid list and enjoyed your pictures. I notice your "plug-in tube for ground handling" = very clever. I have a tailwheel dolly which works well but am forever forgetting to remove it before folding the wings. With the wings folded the tail is much too heavy to lift it off. But it has a very long handle (not sure if it's a factory accessory) and can be swung a full 180+ degrees which makes ground handling a cinch.

bob

Sent: 09 January 2009 9:32 am

Bob -

I'm on both Kitfox and Avid lists, lots of good stuff! The Avid list is on Yahoo groups. Try the below URL to get on the Yahoo groups Avid site. You will have to join in order to see the photos or post messages, but why not? My photos are under "Pops' Avid A".

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/avid_flyer/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=1
[quote]

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List">http://www.matronhref="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Trailering a KitfoxTrailering a Kitfox Reply with quote

That is *exactly* the modification I was going to suggest but you beat me to it! Whether it is wind-induced oscillations or road-induced doesn't really matter, those long heavy wings need good vertical support near the tips to eliminate the fatiguing forces of trailering. I think the front spar support is essential too for long tows, but even for short distances those wing tips need support.

I pressure-clamp the wings to the vertical fin and I doubt they move since I always look for signs of rubbing, but I think your solution is much better. Is it the "Elevator Restraints and transport struts" photo on the Avid list? I see the factory-supplied braces to the tail and a strut down to the transport tube as you described, but it looks a bit thin? I am thinking that supports from the deck into the transport tube (to stop tail spring bounce and take the weight off) and then up to the wings would stop any of the damage we have heard of so far.

BTW - must suck to live within the ADIZ, especially now that it is permanent.

Bob Brennan - N717GB
ELSA Repairman, inspection rated
1991 UK Model 2 ELSA Kitfox
Rotax 582 with 3 blade prop
Wrightsville Pa
Sent: 09 January 2009 9:52 am

I would bet anything that the cause of his wrecking the hinge tubes on the AK roads is the same as what caused my fatigue problem, Without a fixed outer wing support, while going over rouigh roads, the wings are fixed only at the rear spar hinge tube and at the lower lift strut hinge points. Inertial loads cause the wings to pivot around the lower lift strut hinge and apply alternating loads to the upper hinge tube, which will cause it to fatigue eventually. The leading edge brace strut may be a good idea, but will do nothing to prevent this from happening. An additional strut brace from the tow-bar cross tube to the folding strut attach tab will, however, take the inertial loads and keep 'em off of the hinge tube. I use a long 3/8" bolt with a wingnut and safety pin to attach the struts to the cross tube.

Pops
[quote]

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List">http://www.matronhref="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

msm_9949(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Trailering a KitfoxTrailering a Kitfox Reply with quote

Can you post some pictures Pops? Thanks.

Marco Menezes N99KX
Model 2 582-90 C-Box 3:1 w/clutch

do not archive

--- On Fri, 1/9/09, Chuck Popenoe <cpops(at)verizon.net> wrote:

Quote:
Date: Friday, January 9, 2009, 9:51 AM

Pops
Quote:

[quote][b]

Dick Maddux

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Trailering a KitfoxTrailering a Kitfox Reply with quote

I know we have beat this subject to death but I really would like to solicit an opinion on the best way to check the rear spar pivot point for damage. Unfortunately I had to trailer my Kitfox from just south of Boston to Pensacola ,Fl due to the lousy weather enroute when I bought it. It was towed on a tandem wheel trailer and it was a rough ride on the interstate due to the light weight of the Kitfox. The tanks were empty and the front brace bar was installed. I examined the rear spar pivot point visually upon arrival as I thought this might be a possible weak point. It appeared to be ok but now with all this discussion I think I will reexamine it. Any good ideas on how to check it other than visual (i.e.: dye penetrant,etc) Any other areas to check?
Thanks
  Dick Maddux
  Fox 4-1200
  Pensacola Fl

New year...new news. Be the first to know what is making headlines.

Kitfox_001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  390.96 KB
 Viewed:  532 Time(s)

Kitfox_001.jpg

chuckp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Trailering a KitfoxTrailering a Kitfox Reply with quote

Lots of good discussion and food for thought, guys! Dean Wilson designed the Avid Flyer to withstand all of the aerodynamic loads encountered in normal flight, and did a good job of it. Later Dan Denney made a Chinese copy of the Avid and called it the Kitfox --everything was originally the same except the name. The original idea for the folding wings was to tow it with its towbar some 3-5 miles at most to the nearest field, at a slow speed. I don't think that either designer ever anticipated that some of us would be trailering the bird for thousands of miles. The carry-through hinge points have been designed for mostly compressive loads, with some tensile loads at negative g's, never bending loads. Unfortunately, when trailering with no outer wing support, almost all of the loads on the carry-through tube are bending, and in alternating fore and aft directions. A recipe for fatigue failure! Ask me how I know this!

Marco, I can't post the photos since I am in the Florida Keys working in dial-up on a tiny netbook in between fishing trips. All of my photos are in my main computer back home. But, you can see many of them on the Avid Flyer chat site, as I posted previously.

And yes, Bob, it really sucks to live within the ADIZ Sad I envy you being able to trailer for a couple of miles to a nice airfield! BTW, the transport struts are indeed slim, they are 3/8" aluminum rods with flattened ends to attach to the fittings. However, they seem to be sufficient as they only have to absorb transient alternating tension/compression loads, never sustained loads.

Pops
One hundred road miles for every flight!

[quote][b]

815TL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailering a KitfoxTrailering a Kitfox Reply with quote

Dick Maddux wrote:
I know we have beat this subject to death but I really would like to solicit an opinion on the best way to check the rear spar pivot point for damage. Unfortunately I had to trailer my Kitfox from just south of Boston to Pensacola ,Fl due to the lousy weather enroute when I bought it. It was towed on a tandem wheel trailer and it was a rough ride on the interstate due to the light weight of the Kitfox. The tanks were empty and the front brace bar was installed. I examined the rear spar pivot point visually upon arrival as I thought this might be a possible weak point. It appeared to be ok but now with all this discussion I think I will reexamine it. Any good ideas on how to check it other than visual (i.e.: dye penetrant,etc) Any other areas to check?
Thanks
? Dick Maddux
? Fox 4-1200
? Pensacola Fl

New year...new news. Be the first to know what is making headlines.

I have to second this request. I did not even give it a thought as I figured the support was enough. My plane has flown a handfull of times since the 1100 mile journey, but it would be nice to make sure those attach points are sound. I looked them over as well and they looked OK, but if there are any other methods of checking them, it would make me feel even more secure.

Andrew
815TL, Kitfox II, 582-C

Tom Jones

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailering a KitfoxTrailering a Kitfox Reply with quote

Quote:
I know we have beat this subject to death but I really would like to solicit an opinion on the best way to check the rear spar pivot point for damage.

First off, my opinion is that there would have to be some pretty rough treatment for there to be damage to the rear spar attach/hinge area caused by hauling on a trailer. Also, that enough bending force to do that damage would most likely leave evidence of damage at the spar doublers too.

If I was worried about it, this is how I would inspect:

1, With the wings folded back have a helper (another person) push up and down on the wing tip with enough force to flex the rear spar a little. Watch the attach fitting and listen for creaking or popping sounds...anything unusual as the wing is flexed by the helper. Push up and down on the wing tip yourself to feel for anything unusual.

2. Spread the wings and do the same thing again.

3, Also have the helper push fore and aft on the wing tip with the wings spread while you watch and listen at the rear spar attach fittings.

I trailer 10 miles each way every time I fly by the way.

Loading2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.53 MB
 Viewed:  537 Time(s)

Loading2.jpg

Loading4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.66 MB
 Viewed:  532 Time(s)

Loading4.jpg

Ellensburg, WA
MichaelGibbs(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Trailering a KitfoxTrailering a Kitfox Reply with quote

Chuck sez:

Quote:
Dean Wilson designed the Avid Flyer to withstand all of the
aerodynamic loads encountered in normal flight, and did a good job
of it. Later Dan Denney made a Chinese copy of the Avid and called
it the Kitfox --everything was originally the same except the name.

What happened when Wilson and Denney ended their partnership on the
original Avid Flyer has been beaten to death here and is not relevant
to a discussion of trailering or structural factors with the wings
folded. Those with an interest in that discussion can find it in the
list archives.

Mike G.
Kitfox List Administrator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: