Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

newsletter survey
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sttwig

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: newsletter survey Reply with quote

Hello all,

I don't know about all of you, but I really appreciate the Lightning Newsletters. Besides the Matronics list and emailing Arion it is the only contact I have with the Lightning community. I'm urging all of you to take a couple of minutes and complete the survey that Buz sent out with his announcement of the last newsletter. Buz as editor and the contributors put in a lot of time and effort to make it a worthwhile publication. No response to his survey could be construed to mean that it is not useful. I'm sure that everyone finds something of value to them in every issue, so let Buz know. I have pasted a copy of the survey here for your convenience. Send your response directly to him at n1bzrich(at)aol.com

- Of the 11 issues that have been published so far, my favorite lead article or type of lead article so far has been _________________________________________________________________________________.
- Please make suggestions for future lead articles. ____________________________________________.
- Note: One of my favorites was Dick Clevenger's "travel log".
- Currently each issue is normally divided into the following sections: Lead article, News from the factory, News from the dealers, News from builders and flyers, Feedback from readers, Up coming events, Technical Tips, Skunk Works info, Other information, and Final thoughts. Questions - What other section should be included? _____________________________________________________________________________.
- What section is the most useful and/or enjoyable? __________________________________________.
- It the "Lightning of the Month" selection and photo a good thing? ______________________________ .
- What about the past "Centerfold of the Month"? Your thoughts ________________________________.
- Would you be willing to submit an article or story in the future? ________________________________.
- Almost any subject or topic is OK, but Lightning related would probably be best, but not mandantory.
- Other thoughts and suggestions _________________________________________________________.
- Remember, I want any feedback, good or bad, and any inputs for future issues. That is the only way this newsletter is going to keep being published and be useful to the group. Remember the newsletter should be helpful and enjoyable to current, future, and potential builders and flyers. I need your help to meet that goal.

Steve Sundquist
Kit #48

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
pennington(at)q.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: newsletter survey Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Good morning everyone.

I don't know if this writing is "Newsletter" quality, but; I would like to share a rather dreadful flight experience from this morning.

The "ADDS" weather report predicted a fast moving Low Pressure Cold Front to move through Tucson, Arizona today. Winds were forecasted to be up to 25kts. I had scheduled the flight with a friend of mine in my Lightning ...dependant upon the weather. When we were ready to depart, the wind was North at five and the sky was clear and sunny. It seemed like great flying weather, except the Cold Front still had me worried.

I rolled down the runway and lifted off normally. Almost immediately, the turbulence began. I had hoped I could climb above it but no such luck. As we approached the mountains East of the airport, the turbulence became more violent. We were being lifted and dropped to the extent of our seat belts while bumping our heads against the canopy. Holding "Wings Level" was impossible. I aborted the flight and turned back to the airport. While turning, I watched my wingtips flex an unbelievable amount and I appreciated the safety factors built into the airframe!

When reaching the downwind leg, the turbulence subsided somewhat and I was relieved, however; it was short lived! Abeam the numbers, it became extremely rough....nearly unmanageable. I reduce the throttle to idle, pitched the nose down and began to drop flaps. The updrafts were so severe, we were gaining 600 ft/min. A moment later, we dropped 300 ft. Up and down, up and down!

By the time I turned final, we were 1500 ft. above the runway so I went around. The second time around was the same as the first. On the third attempt, I pulled power early and glided to an extended downwind, (without flaps), and was able to descend while bouncing wildly. When turning final, I dropped flaps to 30 degrees but maintained 70 mph while crossing the numbers. My landing was not pretty. I bounced, but added a little power and finally set it down without mishap.

Later, after thinking about the flight , I remembered that under similar atmospheric conditions in my other planes, I would typically use only 10 degrees of flaps and slightly higher approach speeds which allowed a better descent and landing. So, let me ask the experts...."What scenario would you have used under these circumstances"?

Have a great day.

Gary Pennington

---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

checkpoint2(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: newsletter survey Reply with quote

To all, I don’t have my Lightning yet, but I have been following the site for over two years. L find it very informative and I read it almost daily. Some time it gets a little silly but for the most it gives me some insight as to what to expect on the initial flights, what to look for and what
Is normal and of course what is not. I like to reread some of the articles and I’m not surprised at the repetition, every one doesn’t get it the
first time.
I’m looking forward to Sebring EXPO on January 22nd thru the 25th, that is when a lot of parts and aircraft are seen and sold right out
of the box. Bob Haas N 380 BH.

From: owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of GARY PENNINGTON
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2009 3:06 PM
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Lightning-List: newsletter survey

Good morning everyone.

I don't know if this writing is "[i]Newsletter[/i]" quality, but; I would like to share a rather dreadful flight experience from this morning.

The "ADDS" weather report predicted a fast moving [i]Low Pressure Cold Front [/i]to move through Tucson, Arizona today. Winds were forecasted to be up to 25kts. I had scheduled the flight with a friend of mine in my Lightning ...dependant upon the weather. When we were ready to depart, the wind was North at five and the sky was clear and sunny. It seemed like great flying weather, except the Cold Front still had me worried.

I rolled down the runway and lifted off normally. Almost immediately, the turbulence began. I had hoped I could climb above it but no such luck. As we approached the mountains East of the airport, the turbulence became more violent. We were being lifted and dropped to the extent of our seat belts while bumping our heads against the canopy. Holding "Wings Level" was impossible. I aborted the flight and turned back to the airport. While turning, I watched my wingtips flex an unbelievable amount and I appreciated the safety factors built into the airframe!

When reaching the downwind leg, the turbulence subsided somewhat and I was relieved, however; it was short lived! Abeam the numbers, it became extremely rough....nearly unmanageable. I reduce the throttle to idle, pitched the nose down and began to drop flaps. The updrafts were so severe, we were [i]gaining [/i]600 ft/min. A moment later, we dropped 300 ft. Up and down, up and down!

By the time I turned final, we were 1500 ft. above the runway so I went around. The second time around was the same as the first. On the third attempt, I pulled power early and glided to an extended downwind, (without flaps), and was able to descend while bouncing wildly. When turning final, I dropped flaps to 30 degrees but maintained 70 mph while crossing the numbers. My landing was not pretty. I bounced, but added a little power and finally set it down without mishap.

Later, after thinking about the flight , I remembered that under similar atmospheric conditions in my other planes, I would typically use only 10 degrees of flaps and slightly higher approach speeds which allowed a better descent and landing. So, let me ask the experts...."What scenario would you have used under these circumstances"?

Have a great day.

Gary Pennington

----- Original Message -----
Quote:

To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com (lightning-list(at)matronics.com)

Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 6:20 PM

Subject: newsletter survey

--> Lightning-List message posted by: "sttwig" <sttwig(at)nwinfo.net (sttwig(at)nwinfo.net)>

Hello all,

I don't know about all of you, but I really appreciate the Lightning Newsletters. Besides the Matronics list and emailing Arion it is the only contact I have with the Lightning community. I'm urging all of you to take a couple of minutes and complete the survey that Buz sent out with his announcement of the last newsletter. Buz as editor and the contributors put in a lot of time and effort to make it a worthwhile publication. No response to his survey could be construed to mean that it is not useful. I'm sure that everyone finds something of value to them in every issue, so let Buz know. I have pasted a copy of the survey here for your convenience. Send your response directly to him at n1bzrich(at)aol.com (n1bzrich(at)aol.com)

- Please make suggestions for future lead articles. ____________________________________________.
- Note: One of my favorites was Dick Clevenger's "travel log".
- Currently each issue is normally divided into the following sections: Lead article, News from the factory, News from the dealers, News from builders and flyers, Feedback from readers, Up coming events, Technical Tips, Skunk Works info, Other information, and Final thoughts. Questions - What other section should be included? _____________________________________________________________________________.
- What section is the most useful and/or enjoyable? __________________________________________.
- It the "Lightning of the Month" selection and photo a good thing? ______________________________ .
- What about the past "Centerfold of the Month"? Your thoughts ________________________________.
- Would you be willing to submit an article or story in the future? ________________________________.
- Almost any subject or topic is OK, but Lightning related would probably be best, but not mandantory.
- Other thoughts and suggestions _________________________________________________________.
- Remember, I want any feedback, good or bad, and any inputs for future issues. That is the only way this newsletter is going to keep being published and be useful to the group. Remember the newsletter should be helpful and enjoyable to current, future, and potential builders and flyers. I need your help to meet that goal.

Steve Sundquist
Kit #48

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=223791#223791

<Bnbsp; Features Chat, http://www.matnbsp; via the Web title=http://forums.matronics.com/ href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
_p; generous bsp;   title=http://www.matronics.com/contribution href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c=================

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: newsletter survey Reply with quote

Hey Bob (and all)
Are your comments about the Lightning web site or the Lightning newsletters? What I am really looking for is feedback on the newsletters so I can improve them based on what the readers want to see. I have no idea how many people really read the newsletter, but even with Steve's recent prodding to return the survey, only a total of five have done so to this point. Not too impressive. Just asking for suggestions in the past has not been too successful getting valid feedback so that is why I sent the survey out with the notification that the January issue was now posted. With all the effort that goes into each issue, I am really beginning to wonder if it is really worth the time. That was the purpose of the survey.
Buz

New year...new news. Be the first to know what is making headlines.
[quote][b]

Wayne(at)lpwa.net

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: newsletter survey Reply with quote

Buz

The newsletter is certainly printed and widely read over in Western Australia.  I have each copy filed, though they are a little dog-eared by being read by so many.  All my aviation friends interested in my Lightning project read it.

I have just returned from 2 ½ weeks in Singapore so am a little out of touch – but will contribute something ASAP.

Cheers & thanks for the newsletter!

Wayne P
Perth WA

From: owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of N1BZRich(at)aol.com
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2009 6:45 AM
Subject: Re: newsletter survey

Hey Bob (and all)

Are your comments about the Lightning web site or the Lightning newsletters? What I am really looking for is feedback on the newsletters so I can improve them based on what the readers want to see. I have no idea how many people really read the newsletter, but even with Steve's recent prodding to return the survey, only a total of five have done so to this point. Not too impressive. Just asking for suggestions in the past has not been too successful getting valid feedback so that is why I sent the survey out with the notification that the January issue was now posted. With all the effort that goes into each issue, I am really beginning to wonder if it is really worth the time. That was the purpose of the survey.

Buz

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

bob(at)hassel-usa.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: newsletter survey Reply with quote

I’ve only been around for very short while. The newsletters are great and add real value to the Lightning cause. To see others experiences, aircraft and insights is truly valuable for someone like me in the deciding mode. The newsletter adds depth to the discussion and real perspective.

Thanks for the work!

Bob
Santa Fe, NM

From: owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of N1BZRich(at)aol.com
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2009 2:45 PM

Hey Bob (and all)

Buz

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

N1BZRich(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: newsletter survey Reply with quote

Thanks, Wayne. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. It will help me develop a future plan for the newsletter.  Whenever you get the time, I would really appreciate any article you care to send.
Blue Skies,
Buz

[quote][b]

Wayne(at)lpwa.net

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: newsletter survey Reply with quote

Hi again Buz

Interesting reading of the weather in the states. It is about 38C outside at the moment (11.45am) and will get hotter today – somewhat of a contrast! I would like to add some colour to my Lightning but the outside temps are causing me to probably stick with white or silver. Even with white if we leave aircraft sitting in the sun when there is no wind, the surface temp can go well over 45C. Am thinking of buying a remote temp reader to measure actual temps on aircraft surfaces to aid in decision making. Still – we have no issues with any fluids freezing ….
Cheers!
WP

Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:51 AM

Thanks, Wayne. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. It will help me develop a future plan for the newsletter. Whenever you get the time, I would really appreciate any article you care to send.

Blue Skies,

Buz

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: newsletter survey Reply with quote

Wayne,
Nick did some surface temp testing at Sun-N-Fun last year on the new silver demo aircraft. I don't remember the actual numbers but they were well below any danger point. I borrowed the hand held temp tester and also did some comparison test on various other composite aircraft on display. Obviously the white one were the coolest, but not that much more than the silver. The hottest was on a maroon colored nose section on a new factory Cirrus. Again, sorry, I don't remember any of the actual numbers. Nick probably has them written down somewhere. I feel sure that if you stay with white or silver as your primary color you will be good.
Buz

[quote][b]

baproe(at)online.no

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: newsletter survey Reply with quote

Hello Lightning Discussion Group -

My name is Brian Proett. I have exchanged email with a couple of you to ask
a few stupid questions. I am currently living in Norway as a geologist with
ExxonMobil. I have always been interested in aviation. I did my PPL
training while I was going to college in 73. I am from the DC area. I flew
off and on until 1980 when I bought my first house in California which took
every spare cent to service the debt. I did not pick it back up until 2003.
With a cruel twist of fate, about the same time I found out that I have a
congenital heart valve defect that will soon need replacement. Currently I
can no longer pass the medical until I have the surgery, after which I
should be able to pass the medical again. So here in Norway I have no
access to a LSA therefore have no access to flying.

With that intro, I am currently satisfying my interest in aviation with the
web and doing some passive research. Lightning is my favorite and I plan of
taking on the challenge of a build when I retire in about 18 mo. I will be
returning to Houston after this assignment. I am hoping that Arion
Aircraft will weather the economic storm and will still be flourishing when
I am ready.

I caught the performance discussion a few weeks ago. I am not interested in
a RG but like everyone else I am interested in performance. One direct
comparison that I found about performance increase with a retract was with
the Glasair SII - They quote a 10 knot increase with a RG vs FG (238 mph
vs 228 mph) or about 4%. Marginal in my opinion.

More questions:

1) LSA vs. Experimental. There seems to be a drift away from the
emphasis on performance to LSA with a change in "Mission". What is the
difference between the LSA and standard build e.g. wing, prop, engine gov?
Is it possible to go back to a non LSA once it has been certified as a LSA.
I am very hopeful that I will be able to pass the medical after surgery and
I want the max performance that I can get. Alternatively, just go for
experimental. I would like to here some comments about the future
directions for the Lightning. Will future Lightnings be LSA only or will
there be two aircraft.

2) Will the build quality suffer with a quick build. I want the best
possible build and I am a little worried about potential short cuts that
might be done to keep on schedule. On the other hand, I would like to build
this plane within my lifetime with the aid of experts.

3) Ergonomics - Can one sit in a Lightning for 4 hours without cramping
up? Does the Lightning have adequate back support? I am not a tall person
but I do like to sit upright like you do in a German car (BMW or VW).

Comments on the newsletter. It is through the news letter and Jim's build
site that I became interested in the Lightning and the newsletter remains my
best source of info. The newsletter is Lightnings best advertisement. I
just became a member of the online discussion group only after reading the
newsletters. As I am not a lightning builder/owner, therefore, have very
little to contribute. What I am looking for in future newsletters is as
much information as possible for a future build in say late 2010 or early
2011. I am interested in performance and problems and solutions that others
have encountered to make my build as problem free as possible. I also
enjoy the experiences that other owners share. I look forward to becoming
part of the community once I return back to the states.

--

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: newsletter survey Reply with quote

Yes Buzz, you are right, I did lean more to the Site but some times I tend to group all the good information together.
I would like to see more comments by individual owners regarding experiences with the Lightning pro and con. There is
a need for the news letter if nothing else but to correlate information from the manufacturer through the dealers to
the builders. We all gain from such input, good or bad.
I for one would like to see better access to the instrument panel on the Lightning. I has been redesigned and it is better
now, how ever at the kit design stage perhaps there will be a change for easier access. This sort of comment from a builder
In the news letter might generate some thought at that level. Another type of article which gets my attention are the first
flight impressions from the test pilots. Problems and corrections other than superior operator skills.
Please keep the news letter going, some pilots read and heed. Thanks for the venue, Bob Haas N380 BH.

Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2009 4:45 PM

Hey Bob (and all)

Buz

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

jhausch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: newsletter survey Reply with quote

Survey Response:

- Of the 11 issues that have been published so far, my favorite lead article or type of lead article so far has been

I can't think of just one. All of the newsletters have been great.

- Please make suggestions for future lead articles.

Building the lightning at home (not build center)

A "serial" article going through a build slowly over multiple issues

- Currently each issue is normally divided into the following sections: Lead article, News from the factory, News from the dealers, News from builders and flyers, Feedback from readers, Up coming events, Technical Tips, Skunk Works info, Other information, and Final thoughts. Questions - What other section should be included?

See final comments at end.

- What section is the most useful and/or enjoyable?

See final comments at end.

- It the "Lightning of the Month" selection and photo a good thing?

Yes

- What about the past "Centerfold of the Month"? Your thoughts

Unsure what this is. It is not sticking out in my mind.

- Would you be willing to submit an article or story in the future?

Sure, I suppose when I start my build. . .

- Other thoughts and suggestions :

I think that Buz's work on this newsletter is outstanding. I think the lightning website is "serviceable, but not exceptional. I think the builder sites out there (like Jim's Lightning) are interesting reads and tremendous resources to other builders. I think this Matronics forum is clunky.

I think, in today's information-intense world, a newsletter is not the best medium. To me, VAF (the website and its forums), is among the gold standard in the Exp AC world for information dissemination, entertainment, and community. Doug Reeve's runs the primary site, there are many contributors, he links to the mfr for their news releases, and he even promotes newsletters and owner websites as he learns of them. There is also a group of folks who lend assistance with forum moderation.

I don't know how to make it happen, but I'd like to see that sort of format grow up around the Lightning community. I see Buz's newsletter morphing into the main webpage center content. All of the work he does shooting for a monthly deadline would instead be released as-completed.

I'd like to see a forum based on the v-bulletin platform (used by VAF, AOPA, PBP, POA). Good subtopic organization and moderation would make it into a great resource for the long term. (I'd be willing to volunteer for moderation duties)

I know it is easy for me to make these suggestions since I am not volunteering to pull it all together. I just wanted to share with the group how I felt about these things and where I'd like to see it go.

However, setting all of my "constructive comments" aside, What we have is much much much better than "nothing" and the newsletter is great. I read it in its entirety every time it comes out.

Respectfully Submitted,
Jim

Bill O'Brien

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: newsletter survey Reply with quote

Have been scribbling notes on how to suggest doing something in the Van's
Air Force format. Jim Hausch beat me to it, and did it well. Please, Buz
and folks at Airon, go to vansairforce.com and see a site that is highly
informative and equally entertaining. Not to mention flexiblee, useable,
legible, inviting, and lots of other things that Matronics is certainly not.

Personally, I'm a writer, but electronically challenged, so I'm not likely
to be of any help, other than cheerleading.

Since I plan to build my Lighning at home, I am also very interested in
seeing/reading the adventures of others paving that particular road.

Meanwhile, good work, Buzz. I'll try to contribute when I have something to
say.

Bill O'Brien
ai't started yet, but will

---

bhassel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: newsletter survey Reply with quote

One of the things that makes a site like Doug Reeves (Vansairforce.net) work is the large number of users. With over 6,000 RV's flying it's pretty easy to get pictures, travel logs, discussion and dialog on a large number of topics. This keeps the site fresh and users returning. You just can't pull off the same level of intensity and interest unless you have a lot of interested parties and input.

True the factory web site is weak. If you're used to other manufacturer's web sites it is even difficult to get around. The best thing about the site is the pictures of the Lightning. Again Van's is one of the leader's in information presented and I really consider them behind the power curve in many ways. There are many ways to spice up the web site but that requires money, time and resources that may not be appropriate at point.

For the number of Lightning aircraft (in work and finished) the newsletter is great and appropriate. Having a forum would be better than the 'List' but that requires dollars to maintain, software to buy, etc.

jhausch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: newsletter survey Reply with quote

bhassel,

I agree the lightning community is nowhere near the size of VAF. I also would not expect one to "throw the switch" on my suggestions and we'd miraculously have an equal offering.

However, I wonder if someone with web skills like Jim Langley could create a format/template where someone with the enthusiasm of Buz could post content? - Thereby laying the groundwork for a site which could also (immediately or eventually) hold a v-bulletin based forum.

Before we go too long with these musings, here would be some good data to know:

1) How many members/subscribers are on this Matronics lightning list (not all of Matronics, but just this particular list)?

2) To one familiar with both, who prefers this Matronics format to V-bulletin?

3) Who would prefer seeing Buz's efforts directed towards web content rather than monthly newsletter?

Colin K.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: newsletter survey Reply with quote

Brian,

There is a flight school just outside Stavanger with a Jabiru SP250. You
might qualify to fly that and begin to get ahead of the game, although it's
very different from the Lightning, it could keep you current and familiar
with the Jabitiru engine.

If you are interested, I will try to get a contact for you.
Colin K.
OK
Lightning # 52 under construction.
http://www.mykitlog.com/cojaken
--

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: newsletter survey Reply with quote

Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:33 AM
To: 'lightning-list(at)matronics.com'
Subject: RE: Lightning-List: newsletter survey

Yes Buzz, you are right, I did lean more to the Site but some times I tend to group all the good information together.
I would like to see more comments by individual owners regarding experiences with the Lightning pro and con. There is
a need for the news letter if nothing else but to correlate information from the manufacturer through the dealers to
the builders. We all gain from such input, good or bad.
I for one would like to see better access to the instrument panel on the Lightning. It has been redesigned and it is better
now, how ever at the kit design stage perhaps there will be a change for easier access. This sort of comment from a builder
In the news letter might generate some thought at that level. Another type of article which gets my attention are the first
flight impressions from the test pilots. Problems and corrections other than superior operator skills.
Please keep the news letter going, some pilots read and heed. Thanks for the venue, Bob Haas N380 BH.

Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2009 4:45 PM

Hey Bob (and all)

Buz

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

dashvii(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: newsletter survey Reply with quote

Buz C
   I know that I'm not a builder/owner and therefore don't really qualify as the target crowd here C but I find the newsletter invaluable.  The list is also a good way to exchange information C but the newsletter gives a nice place to build up hype and suspense when new things are released C whereas the list is more of a real time need clarification on a build step venue. 

I have probably two good stories in me that I would like to get out and have been bad about submitting them.  I'll try to get that knocked out here soon and send to you.  I too think that it would be a good idea to take a copy of the newsletter down to my local FBO's and drop off a copy.  This could drum up business for Arion C but also give us new friends and allow for more people to have conversations with about the Lightning.  Thanks for your time and effort!  Brian W.

Subject: FW: newsletter survey
Date: Sun C 11 Jan 2009 16:07:22 -0500
.ExternalClass .EC_shape {;} .ExternalClass p.EC_MsoNormal C .ExternalClass li.EC_MsoNormal C .ExternalClass div.EC_MsoNormal {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass a:link C .ExternalClass span.EC_MsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass a:visited C .ExternalClass span.EC_MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass pre {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:'Courier New';} .ExternalClass span.EC_EmailStyle18 {font-family:Arial;color:blue;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none none;} .ExternalClass span.EC_EmailStyle19 {font-family:Arial;color:blue;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none none;} (at)page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in;} .ExternalClass div.EC_Section1 {page:Section1;}

Sent: Sunday C January 11 C 2009 10:33 AM
To: 'lightning-list(at)matronics.com'
Subject: RE: newsletter survey

Yes Buzz C you are right C I did lean more to the Site but some times I tend to group all the good information together.
the builders. We all gain from such input C good or bad. 
            I for one would like to see better access to the instrument panel on the Lightning. It has been redesigned and it is better
now C how ever at the kit design stage perhaps there will be a change for easier access. This sort of comment from a builder
            Please keep the news letter going C some pilots read and heed.  Thanks for the venue C Bob Haas N380 BH.   

Sent: Saturday C January 10 C 2009 4:45 PM

Hey Bob (and all)

Are your comments about the Lightning web site or the Lightning newsletters?  What I am really looking for is feedback on the newsletters so I can improve them based on what the readers want to see.  I have no idea how many people really read the newsletter C but even with Steve's recent prodding to return the survey C only a total of five have done so to this point.  Not too impressive.  Just asking for suggestions in the past has not been too successful getting valid feedback so that is why I sent the survey out with the notification that the January issue was now posted.  With all the effort that goes into each issue C I am really beginning to wonder if it is really worth the time.  That was the purpose of the survey. 

Buz

Quote:
  http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-Listhttp://forums.matronics.com 
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

3Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. See how it works. [quote][b]

N1BZRich(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: newsletter survey Reply with quote

Hi Brian,
Good to hear from you again. Hope 2009 turns out to be a good year for you in Norway and you can find a way to get some flying time while you are there. When you do get back to the states be sure to stop by Shelbyville for a demo flight. Although many have bought a Lightning before ever flying one, that is not necessary now that a demo aircraft is available as well as many flying Lightnings around the US. As to your questions, I will provide some of my thoughts:

1) LSA vs. Experimental. There seems to be a drift away from the
emphasis on performance to LSA with a change in "Mission". What is the
difference between the LSA and standard build e.g. wing, prop, engine gov?
there be two aircraft.
Actually, there is no "change in Mission" for the Lightning, just a temporary shift in emphasis. What has caused the recent emphasis on a Light Sport Lightning is the current "re-write" of the FAA 51% rule. Until that final rule is finalized, the Lightning guys have no way to know if their current kit will meet the new Experimental Amateur Built rule (51% rule). If it does not, they will have to re do the kit so that it will meet the new rule. By getting an SLSA Lightning built and certified, they will be able to continue selling ELSA Lightning kits while the 51% kit is changed. So the recent emphasis on an ASTM certified SLSA Lightning is so they can continue to sell ELSA Lightnings while the EAB kit is redone to meet the new rule (if it does not meet the new rule). They are covering all the bases. Besides, a majority of their customers want a Lightning that can be flown with a Light Sport License. Even though the current EAB Lightning can be built to meet the light sport parameters (a big reason for the long wing and new tips), some potential customers want a kit that can be bought that is more than 51% complete. The ELSA will serve those customers.

2) Will the build quality suffer with a quick build. I want the best
possible build and I am a little worried about potential short cuts that
might be done to keep on schedule. On the other hand, I would like to build
this plane within my lifetime with the aid of experts.
I don't think you have any worry at all about short cuts. In fact, unless you have built airplanes before, I would be willing to say you will end up with a better overall airplane by using one of the build centers. You will certainly save lots of time. But remember, they will help you build the basic airplane. If you want extra equipment on the airframe or the panel, that might add some time to the build (and extra time probably equals extra cost).

3) Ergonomics - Can one sit in a Lightning for 4 hours without cramping
up? Does the Lightning have adequate back support? I am not a tall person
but I do like to sit upright like you do in a German car (BMW or VW).
Well, it all depends. How hard a butt do you have? I have sat in my Esqual for over 5 hours and the Lightning seating is certainly more comfortable. Back support is excellent. Don't know how tall you are (I am 6'2", but other Lightning flyers are taller). Also, remember the rudder pedals are adjustable, even while in flight. With extra cushions and lumbar pads that the upholstery guys can make for you, you can pretty much adjust your seat to how ever you like it.

Hope all this helps,
Blue Skies,
Buz

[quote][b]

N1BZRich(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: newsletter survey Reply with quote

Brian,
After re-reading your original message I see I really didn't cover all parts of your questions in the first section. Here goes again:
What is the difference between the LSA and standard build e.g. wing, prop, engine gov?
there be two aircraft.
It kind of sounds like you (as well as many others) don't really understand the new light sport rules. First, the current Ligntning kit is built to meet the current 51% rule and all of them are certified in the Experimental Amateur Built category - EAB - not Light Sport certified. However, a person using a light sport pilot's license can fly one IF that particular EAB Lightning meets the light sport parameters - clean stall speed at 45 knots or less, gross weight no more than 1320 pounds, and max continuous rpm cruise of 120 knots. That last requirement is kind of a "good deal" because the 3300 Jabiru engine manual list the max continuous cruise rpm of 2850 rpm (even though the max rpm is 3300). So if you want  your EAB Lightning to be able to be flown by a light sport pilot, be sure clean stall speed is 45 knots or less, put on the data plate that max gross weight is 1320 lbs, and put a prop on that gives you a cruise speed of 120 knots at 2850 rpm. Also, when you finish your 40 hour flight test, be sure the first after test period entry in the aircraft log book states that it meets light sport requirements - listing stall speed, max gross, and max continuous cruise speed with the prop that you have installed.
The above is how an EAB Lightning can be flown by a light sport pilot. The longer wings help insure the stall speed is low enough, although some regular wing Lightnings have been built at a light enough weight so that they stall slow enough (VGs help). But we have also found that the longer wings are actually a bit faster if you prop the airplane to go faster. But if you put an entry into the aircraft log book indicating that a new prop (or another change) that takes the airplane away from meeting the light sport parameters, than that airplane can not go back to meeting light sport rules.
As to the future ELSA Lightning kits, they will have to be built to be exactly like the ASTM certified SLSA Lightning - no builder changes allowed. But remember, they can be more than 49% complete.
In the future, Arion plans to have both EAB Lightnings and ELSA Lightings. Long range future may even include SLSA lightnings, but for now, just that initial SLSA Lightning is planned so that ELSA lightning kits can be sold.
Confusing? I hope not.
Buz

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: