Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Door ajar indictors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indigoonlatigo(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Door ajar indictors Reply with quote

I opened my Van's door warning kit today and began reading the directions.

What am I missing in the understanding of this system? Are we removing the 5/16 threaded bolts which we spend time shaping the ends to a point and then tapping the inside of the aluminum rod to receive the theads of these bolts C only to replace them with a one inch long rare earth magnet and five minute epoxy?????
There seems to be two issue that are confusing me. 
1) I made sure that the bolt length that I made penetrated atleast 1/4 past the aluminum/fuse jamm when the door was closed and was also long enough the it was still inside the portion of the aluminum pin that was housed by the nylon block which is screwed to the door. I didn't want the pin bending in the gap between the fuse jam and the nylon door block.
Now C am I asked to discard this bolt pin and replace it with a one inch long cylindrical magnet?? Aren't we weakening the mechanism just for the safety of seeing a light go out??
2) Why are we using this complicated method with magnets C fore and aft when we one switch could be thrown by the pin physically pushing the switch closed/open and thus turning the light out or on?
I made the inner portion of my cabin top flange fit so well that a business card cannot fit between the door and itself C so if the foreward pin is closed the rear one is obviously closed by just looking at he inner door fit.
So with the relay or circuit that Stein has placed in my system C can I just place a simple switch with is pushed closed by the pin or should I just not hook power to the door system and since the light will always be out C assume it is fine to fly?
What happened to the priciple of  KISS? Not C PISSED.
Two steps forward C 1 and 3/4 steps back
JOhn G.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Door ajar indictors Reply with quote

John, I just couldn't go with the rack and pinion door latch and it's
resulting possible problems. The next time you get next to a Cirrus,
look at it's door hardware. It looks like a trunk latch from a small
car. My problem is I don't know which small car! I have a good friend
with a Cirrus that's trying to find me some info. If anyone out there
can shed some light on the Cirrus latch I'd be really grateful!!
Linn .... Waiting for that small car to show up!

John Gonzalez wrote:
Quote:
I opened my Van's door warning kit today and began reading the
directions.

What am I missing in the understanding of this system? Are we removing
the 5/16 threaded bolts which we spend time shaping the ends to a
point and then tapping the inside of the aluminum rod to receive the
theads of these bolts, only to replace them with a one inch long rare
earth magnet and five minute epoxy?????

1) I made sure that the bolt length that I made penetrated atleast 1/4
past the aluminum/fuse jamm when the door was closed and was also long
enough the it was still inside the portion of the aluminum pin that
was housed by the nylon block which is screwed to the door. I didn't
want the pin bending in the gap between the fuse jam and the nylon
door block.

Now, am I asked to discard this bolt pin and replace it with a one
inch long cylindrical magnet?? Aren't we weakening the mechanism just
for the safety of seeing a light go out??

2) Why are we using this complicated method with magnets, fore and aft
when we one switch could be thrown by the pin physically pushing the
switch closed/open and thus turning the light out or on?

I made the inner portion of my cabin top flange fit so well that a
business card cannot fit between the door and itself, so if the
foreward pin is closed the rear one is obviously closed by just
looking at he inner door fit.

So with the relay or circuit that Stein has placed in my system, can I
just place a simple switch with is pushed closed by the pin or should
I just not hook power to the door system and since the light will
always be out, assume it is fine to fly?

What happened to the priciple of KISS? Not, PISSED.

Two steps forward, 1 and 3/4 steps back

JOhn G.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

sfdarton(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Door ajar indictors Reply with quote

Our flight department has a one year old Cirrus Turbo
G3. It is a nice enough aircraft but in my opinion the
door latch mechanism is the weakest design point of
the aircraft.

Steve 50212
--- linn Walters <pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.net> wrote:

Quote:

<pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.net>

John, I just couldn't go with the rack and pinion
door latch and it's
resulting possible problems. The next time you get
next to a Cirrus,
look at it's door hardware. It looks like a trunk
latch from a small
car. My problem is I don't know which small car! I
have a good friend
with a Cirrus that's trying to find me some info.
If anyone out there
can shed some light on the Cirrus latch I'd be
really grateful!!
Linn .... Waiting for that small car to show up!

John Gonzalez wrote:
> I opened my Van's door warning kit today and began
reading the
> directions.
>
> What am I missing in the understanding of this
system? Are we removing
> the 5/16 threaded bolts which we spend time
shaping the ends to a
> point and then tapping the inside of the aluminum
rod to receive the
> theads of these bolts, only to replace them with a
one inch long rare
> earth magnet and five minute epoxy?????
>
> There seems to be two issue that are confusing me.

>
> 1) I made sure that the bolt length that I made
penetrated atleast 1/4
> past the aluminum/fuse jamm when the door was
closed and was also long
> enough the it was still inside the portion of the
aluminum pin that
> was housed by the nylon block which is screwed to
the door. I didn't
> want the pin bending in the gap between the fuse
jam and the nylon
> door block.
>
> Now, am I asked to discard this bolt pin and
replace it with a one
> inch long cylindrical magnet?? Aren't we weakening
the mechanism just
> for the safety of seeing a light go out??
>
> 2) Why are we using this complicated method with
magnets, fore and aft
> when we one switch could be thrown by the pin
physically pushing the
> switch closed/open and thus turning the light out
or on?
>
> I made the inner portion of my cabin top flange
fit so well that a
> business card cannot fit between the door and
itself, so if the
> foreward pin is closed the rear one is obviously
closed by just
> looking at he inner door fit.
>
> So with the relay or circuit that Stein has placed
in my system, can I
> just place a simple switch with is pushed closed
by the pin or should
> I just not hook power to the door system and since
the light will
> always be out, assume it is fine to fly?
>
> What happened to the priciple of KISS? Not,
PISSED.
>
> Two steps forward, 1 and 3/4 steps back
>
> JOhn G.
> *
>
>
> *

browse
Un/Subscription,
FAQ,

Forums!

Admin.

ricksked(at)embarqmail.co

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Door ajar indictors Reply with quote

No surprise...the forward hinged door presents its own issues...I just finished to final fit of my doors today and have total faith in the mechanism...I imagine Deems does too, it's all in how well you make everything fit..but I will say I have an easy 100+ hours in fitting and the. linkage/ locks

Rick Sked
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

--

rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Door ajar indictors Reply with quote

I used the rivethead blocks and pins….but had built mine IAW the plans first.
  1. IAW the plans, the bolt/pin is used to mark the frame, but is then discarded. The end result is the angled piece of rod that is used to “pull” the door closed as the pin goes through the frame.
  2. The magnet is placed, along with the switch, in a position such that when the pin goes through the frame the switch is activated, but when the pin goes on the outside of the airplane it is not activated. The problem they are trying to address is when the door is closed the front pin engages but the back pin would pass outside the aircraft skin. If not carefully inspected the pilot would think the door is completely closed but upon takeoff, the air loads will open the door…..and off it goes.
  3. Why so complicated…………..fail safe? If you want the red like to always be on unless the door is open. There are other ways of wiring the switches. Some people are just using green lights showing the door is closed……..

Rene'
801-721-6080

--

pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Door ajar indictors Reply with quote

Darton Steve wrote:
Quote:

Our flight department has a one year old Cirrus Turbo
G3. It is a nice enough aircraft but in my opinion the
door latch mechanism is the weakest design point of
the aircraft.

Steve 50212
Steve, would you elaborate? I had my first flight in my friends Cirrus

today ..... well, yesterday Wink ..... and found it to be rather solid
.. and this newbie didn't have any problem closing and latching it on
the first try. I did find it much easier to close the door and then
move the seat forward. The only downside I saw was that when you open
the door, you really had to push the button real hard.
Linn

jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Door ajar indictors Reply with quote

As was mentioned, the critical part is to have both the front and rear pins engaged, and fully so. That's why they have the magnets. I suppose you could use a physical switch that is pushed when the pin reaches its full engagement point, but IMHO that would take a lot more work than the magnets. Many EFIS systems now have a system for reading contacts either open or closed, so you can use a Dynon, AFS, Vertical Power and I'm sure a number of others to give you two greens for doors fully closed if you don't want to use the actual lights. My main problem with the system is that the door latching system, under the loads it experiences while flying, can unlock with a simple bump if the locking pin is not fully engaged in the nylon block (don't ask me how I know). I'm sure that some saw at OSH the leather straps I have added to N256H that run from the gear leg bracket by the pilot's feet and loop over the door handle. With a system like this, you truly have double security, so if the latch fails, is not fully latched or comes unlatched in flight, the door cannot open and separate. It may pop open an inch or two, which is enough to make sure that you never takeoff without the door fully latched and locked in the future, but it will not come all the way open and separate from the aircraft.

do not archive

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)
Cell: 352-427-0285
Fax: 815-377-3694

On Jan 18, 2009, at 9:51 PM, John Gonzalez wrote:
Quote:

What am I missing in the understanding of this system? Are we removing the 5/16 threaded bolts which we spend time shaping the ends to a point and then tapping the inside of the aluminum rod to receive the theads of these bolts, only to replace them with a one inch long rare earth magnet and five minute epoxy?????
1) I made sure that the bolt length that I made penetrated atleast 1/4 past the aluminum/fuse jamm when the door was closed and was also long enough the it was still inside the portion of the aluminum pin that was housed by the nylon block which is screwed to the door. I didn't want the pin bending in the gap between the fuse jam and the nylon door block.
Now, am I asked to discard this bolt pin and replace it with a one inch long cylindrical magnet?? Aren't we weakening the mechanism just for the safety of seeing a light go out??
2) Why are we using this complicated method with magnets, fore and aft when we one switch could be thrown by the pin physically pushing the switch closed/open and thus turning the light out or on?
I made the inner portion of my cabin top flange fit so well that a business card cannot fit between the door and itself, so if the foreward pin is closed the rear one is obviously closed by just looking at he inner door fit.
So with the relay or circuit that Stein has placed in my system, can I just place a simple switch with is pushed closed by the pin or should I just not hook power to the door system and since the light will always be out, assume it is fine to fly?
JOhn G.
Quote:
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

mckervey(at)charter.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Door ajar indictors Reply with quote

---

mckervey(at)charter.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Door ajar indictors Reply with quote

Linn,

I have an RV10 with over 200 hours on it with both the lights and an open
door warning on the Advanced 2500. The Advanced operates either normally
open or normally closed. I used a single pole double throw momentary push
button switch in the rear pin.

Joe
---

indigoonlatigo(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Door ajar indictors Reply with quote

"My main problem with the system is that the door latching system C under the loads it experiences while flying C can unlock with a simple bump if the locking pin is not fully engaged in the nylon block (don't ask me how I know)." JS

The main problem is that the pins need to extend atleast 1/4 into and beyond the aluminum fuse jamm C not just the nylon block. If just the nylon block C one is asking for trouble.

JOhn G.

From: jesse(at)saintaviation.comTo: rv10-list(at)matronics.comSubject: Re: RV10-List: Door ajar indictorsDate: Mon C 19 Jan 2009 05:56:53 -0500As was mentioned C the critical part is to have both the front and rear pins engaged C and fully so. That's why they have the magnets. I suppose you could use a physical switch that is pushed when the pin reaches its full engagement point C but IMHO that would take a lot more work than the magnets. Many EFIS systems now have a system for reading contacts either open or closed C so you can use a Dynon C AFS C Vertical Power and I'm sure a number of others to give you two greens for doors fully closed if you don't want to use the actual lights. My main problem with the system is that the door latching system C under the loads it experiences while flying C can unlock with a simple bump if the locking pin is not fully engaged in the nylon block (don't ask me how I know). I'm sure that some saw at OSH the leather straps I have added to N256H that run from the gear leg bracket by the pilot's feet and loop over the door handle. With a system like this C you truly have double security C so if the latch fails C is not fully latched or comes unlatched in flight C the door cannot open and separate. It may pop open an inch or two C which is enough to make sure that you never takeoff without the door fully latched and locked in the future C but it will not come all the way open and separate from the aircraft.

do not archive

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation C Inc.
jesse(at)saintaviation.com

On Jan 18 C 2009 C at 9:51 PM C John Gonzalez wrote:

What am I missing in the understanding of this system? Are we removing the 5/16 threaded bolts which we spend time shaping the ends to a point and then tapping the inside of the aluminum rod to receive the theads of these bolts C only to replace them with a one inch long rare earth magnet and five minute epoxy?????

Now C am I asked to discard this bolt pin and replace it with a one inch long cylindrical magnet?? Aren't we weakening the mechanism just for the safety of seeing a light go out??

2) Why are we using this complicated method with magnets C fore and aft when we one switch could be thrown by the pin physically pushing the switch closed/open and thus turning the light out or on?

I made the inner portion of my cabin top flange fit so well that a business card cannot fit between the door and itself C so if the foreward pin is closed the rear one is obviously closed by just looking at he inner door fit

pascal(at)rv10builder.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Door ajar indictors Reply with quote

Agree!, that is why many of us are getting the aftermarket riverhead and iflyrv10 pins and blocks. Solid and more smooth closing.

Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 7:15 AM
To: RV 10 group (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: RE: Door ajar indictors

"My main problem with the system is that the door latching system, under the loads it experiences while flying, can unlock with a simple bump if the locking pin is not fully engaged in the nylon block (don't ask me how I know)." JS

The main problem is that the pins need to extend atleast 1/4 into and beyond the aluminum fuse jamm, not just the nylon block. If just the nylon block, one is asking for trouble.

JOhn G.

To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Door ajar indictors
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 05:56:53 -0500

As was mentioned, the critical part is to have both the front and rear pins engaged, and fully so. That's why they have the magnets. I suppose you could use a physical switch that is pushed when the pin reaches its full engagement point, but IMHO that would take a lot more work than the magnets. Many EFIS systems now have a system for reading contacts either open or closed, so you can use a Dynon, AFS, Vertical Power and I'm sure a number of others to give you two greens for doors fully closed if you don't want to use the actual lights. My main problem with the system is that the door latching system, under the loads it experiences while flying, can unlock with a simple bump if the locking pin is not fully engaged in the nylon block (don't ask me how I know). I'm sure that some saw at OSH the leather straps I have added to N256H that run from the gear leg bracket by the pilot's feet and loop over the door handle. With a system like this, you truly have double security, so if the latch fails, is not fully latched or comes unlatched in flight, the door cannot open and separate. It may pop open an inch or two, which is enough to make sure that you never takeoff without the door fully latched and locked in the future, but it will not come all the way open and separate from the aircraft.

do not archive

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)

On Jan 18, 2009, at 9:51 PM, John Gonzalez wrote:
[quote] I opened my Van's door warning kit today and began reading the directions.

What am I missing in the understanding of this system? Are we removing the 5/16 threaded bolts which we spend time shaping the ends to a point and then tapping the inside of the aluminum rod to receive the theads of these bolts, only to replace them with a one inch long rare earth magnet and five minute epoxy?????

Now, am I asked to discard this bolt pin and replace it with a one inch long cylindrical magnet?? Aren't we weakening the mechanism just for the safety of seeing a light go out??

2) Why are we using this complicated method with magnets, fore and aft when we one switch could be thrown by the pin physically pushing the switch closed/open and thus turning the light out or on?

I made the inner portion of my cabin top flange fit so well that a business card cannot fit between the door and itself, so if the foreward pin is closed the rear one is obviously closed by just looking at he inner door fit.

So with the relay or circuit that Stein has placed in my system, can I just place a simple switch with is pushed closed by the pin or should I just not hook power to the door system and since the light will always be out, assume it is fine to fly?

JOhn G.
Quote:
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

ttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
ronics.com
ww.matronics.com/contribution

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

sfdarton(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Door ajar indictors Reply with quote

Our particular aircraft had problems with either the
left or right lower door latch popping open in flight.
The method of adjusting the mechanism was not very
well thought out, it was difficult to adjust by adding
or subtracting washers and or adjusting a rod end. Our
Cirrus service center had no guidance or instructions
as to how to make adjustments to the door hardware,
the adjustments were done through hours of trial and
error. The striker posts are mounted in a concentric
hole in the door jam that allows for alignment
adjustments. The posts are not very robust and will
get bent up if any part or the latch system gets out
of adjustment. If that happens you are back to square
one with the door adjustment.

To give you some perspective, our flight department
has a 2004 CJ2 Citation, 2004 Grand Caravan and this
2007 SR22. I am one of two professional pilots that
fly any of the three aircraft. I have flown Randy
DeBauw and Scott Schmidt's RV10s, I will use the basic
Vans design with aftermarket upgrades in my RV10.

Steve 50212
--- linn Walters <pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.net> wrote:

Quote:

<pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.net>

Darton Steve wrote:
>
<sfdarton(at)yahoo.com>
>
> Our flight department has a one year old Cirrus
Turbo
> G3. It is a nice enough aircraft but in my opinion
the
> door latch mechanism is the weakest design point
of
> the aircraft.
>
> Steve 50212
Steve, would you elaborate? I had my first flight
in my friends Cirrus
today ..... well, yesterday Wink ..... and found it
to be rather solid
... and this newbie didn't have any problem closing
and latching it on
the first try. I did find it much easier to close
the door and then
move the seat forward. The only downside I saw was
that when you open
the door, you really had to push the button real
hard.
Linn

browse
Un/Subscription,
FAQ,

Forums!

Admin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: