Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pictures and stories of Kitfox aircraft being put to use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lowflyer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Pictures and stories of Kitfox aircraft being put to use Reply with quote

Hi all,

I enjoy this list very much and think it is a great resource for builders and fliers of the Kitfox and Avid aircraft. That being said I wish, or would like to see more pictures, video(You tube) and stories pertaining to the utilization of these great little airplanes.

Some of the members of this forum share a lot of their experiences, stories and pictures for all of us to see. Hats off to you all for this. It is really great stuff. I would like to see more of us doing this including myself. It would be great to hear more on how pilots are using their aircraft. Whether they are just out joy riding for fun or hauling a load of stuff out to a remote strip for a day of camping and hunting. I've have seen a lot of pics of enlarged baggage areas and wonder if anyone has loaded them to the brim with stuff. How did it fly? How much stuff can you fit? Etc. etc... These stories, pictures and video really inspire builders to complete their aircraft and also give current fliers ideas on how they too can utilize there aircraft more and have a lot of fun doing so.

I really like the pics from Leonard "akflyer". They truly give the Kitfox the Bush-plane theme and utility. Same with Lynn Matteson and his Ski reports. There are many more. Great job guys. Keep it coming.

I'm planning on a spring fishing trip to Gaston's White River resort in the Ozarks in northern AR. The website is:
http://www.gastons.com/airstrip.php

Anyway, I will being flying from St. Louis, MO. Should be a great time. I will definitely post pictures and document the fun afterwords for all to enjoy.
Thanks to all.

Chris...

Chris Budd
N53RJ
Kitfox IV Speedster
VW 2180 230hrs

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Pictures and stories of Kitfox aircraft being put to use Reply with quote

Sounds great, Chris...how's the V-dub haul the IV around?

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, #2062, 600.2 hrs
Sensenich 62x46
Electroair direct-fire ignition system
New skis done and flying

On Jan 16, 2009, at 1:53 PM, lowflyer wrote:

Quote:

Hi all,

I enjoy this list very much and think it is a great resource for
builders and fliers of the Kitfox and Avid aircraft. That being
said I wish, or would like to see more pictures, video(You tube)
and stories pertaining to the utilization of these great little
airplanes.

Some of the members of this forum share a lot of their experiences,
stories and pictures for all of us to see. Hats off to you all for
this. It is really great stuff. I would like to see more of us
doing this including myself. It would be great to hear more on how
pilots are using their aircraft. Whether they are just out joy
riding for fun or hauling a load of stuff out to a remote strip for
a day of camping and hunting. I've have seen a lot of pics of
enlarged baggage areas and wonder if anyone has loaded them to the
brim with stuff. How did it fly? How much stuff can you fit? Etc.
etc... These stories, pictures and video really inspire builders
to complete their aircraft and also give current fliers ideas on
how they too can utilize there aircraft more and have a lot of fun
doing so.

I really like the pics from Leonard "akflyer". They truly give the
Kitfox the Bush-plane theme and utility. Same with Lynn Matteson
and his Ski reports. There are many more. Great job guys. Keep it
coming.

I'm planning on a spring fishing trip to Gaston's White River
resort in the Ozarks in northern AR. The website is:

Anyway, I will being flying from St. Louis, MO. Should be a great
time. I will definitely post pictures and document the fun
afterwords for all to enjoy.
Thanks to all.

Chris...

Chris Budd
N53RJ
Kitfox IV Speedster
VW 2180 230hrs

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 25139#225139

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

akflyer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures and stories of Kitfox aircraft being put to use Reply with quote

lowflyer wrote:
Hi all,

I enjoy this list very much and think it is a great resource for builders and fliers of the Kitfox and Avid aircraft. That being said I wish, or would like to see more pictures, video(You tube) and stories pertaining to the utilization of these great little airplanes.

Some of the members of this forum share a lot of their experiences, stories and pictures for all of us to see. Hats off to you all for this. It is really great stuff. I would like to see more of us doing this including myself. It would be great to hear more on how pilots are using their aircraft. Whether they are just out joy riding for fun or hauling a load of stuff out to a remote strip for a day of camping and hunting. I've have seen a lot of pics of enlarged baggage areas and wonder if anyone has loaded them to the brim with stuff. How did it fly? How much stuff can you fit? Etc. etc... These stories, pictures and video really inspire builders to complete their aircraft and also give current fliers ideas on how they too can utilize there aircraft more and have a lot of fun doing so.

I really like the pics from Leonard "akflyer". They truly give the Kitfox the Bush-plane theme and utility. Same with Lynn Matteson and his Ski reports. There are many more. Great job guys. Keep it coming.

I'm planning on a spring fishing trip to Gaston's White River resort in the Ozarks in northern AR. The website is:

Anyway, I will being flying from St. Louis, MO. Should be a great time. I will definitely post pictures and document the fun afterwords for all to enjoy.
Thanks to all.

Chris...

Chris Budd
N53RJ
Kitfox IV Speedster
VW 2180 230hrs

Please be very careful. There is a sign at the top of the forum that says DO NOT FEED THE MONKEY.

Avid "C" / Mk IV
582 (147 hrs and counting on the rebuild)
IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1450
#1 snake oil salesman since 1-22-2009

I would rather die trying to live, than to live trying not to die....
lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Pictures and stories of Kitfox aircraft being put to use Reply with quote

Chris,

I put a few videos into a webpage and one long story about a flying trip.
The webpage videos were to be added to weekly, but the last entry was the
day before my Model IV was destroyed in a forced landing a bit over a year
ago. I have plans to begin updating the videos gain, but have been
discouraged by time constraints and some fear that I forgot how to do it.

http://highwingllc.com/videoarchive.html

The next link is the old Cameron Park Kitfox Fly-in and BBQ site which I
suspect will disappear when the next bill comes from the hosting company.
Our safety first or it's someone elses fault, society, thanks in part to
California's trial lawyers, made the fly-in a fond memory. The second
page, though is the Idaho trip. Short videos, but mostly pictures.

http://www.cameronparkkitfox.com/

Lowell Fitt
Cameron Park, CA
Model IV-1200 R-912 UL
Just about ready to cover fuselage and left wing.
---

kenharrison

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures and stories of Kitfox aircraft being put to use Reply with quote

OK, I'll bite...

I own a small remodeling company. Most of our work is in Charlotte, NC which is about 45 min drive from home. Last Friday, it was payday, and the only reason I needed to go to the jobsite was to distribute paychecks. So I jumped in the Kitfox and flew to the jobsite. Still took me about 45 min cause I wanted to prolong the delivery. Then I circled a couple times to get my crew's attention, and made a low pass, dropping the paychecks in a bright orange bag. It was also a very long wandering flight back to the office. It's a tough job.

Sorry but no pictures of the flight.

One other thing I do regularly is take aerial photos of my completed projects and present them to my clients upon final payment. It's a unique addition benefit that some people really value.

Now I wonder if Uncle Sam will let me deduct the expenses.......

lowflyer wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks to all.

Chris...

Chris Budd
N53RJ
Kitfox IV Speedster
VW 2180 230hrs

Powerfin 3-Blade
Fox5flyer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Pictures and stories of Kitfox aircraft being put to use Reply with quote

Great stuff, Lowell. Thanks.
Deke
do not archive

---

Dick Maddux

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Pictures and stories of Kitfox aircraft being put to use Reply with quote

Chris,
You are right on the money! I too enjoy all the pictures and stories! That's what flying is all about !! Kudo's to Leonard for his fabulous Alaska pictures. I am so envious of you living in Alaska (summer anyway) Wish I had someplace cool to fly. All I have down here is flat. Oh well, at least the doughnuts are good at local airports. I guess I could go over and look at the spot were that Piper Meridian crashed after he bailed out of his airplane. The airplane crashed less than 5 miles from my house and the racket those F-15's were making in the middle of the night while tracking the plane!
Lynn, Your pictures are great also! I haven't yet figured out what snow skis are though.
Keep them coming!
        Dick Maddux
        Pensacola,Fl (actually Milton,Fl)

complete coverage from the nation's capital.
[quote][b]

Tom Jones

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures and stories of Kitfox aircraft being put to use Reply with quote

Two days ago I went for a 1.1 hour test flight around the Kittitas valley after putting my engine back together.

Flying in January in Eastern Washington is usually limited for me do to fog in the valley. For that reason, a couple weeks ago I was going to "Fog" the engine crankcase in my kitfox so it could sit without being run for the next month or so and not rust.

The fogging oil can has a plastic extension tube like a lot of spray lubricant cans have. The intake manifolds on a two stroke engine dump the fuel and air directly into the crankcase. The instructions from Rotax are to spray the fogging oil into the carbs with the engine running, or if you are afraid of the spinning prop, spray it in there with the engine off, then start it and let it run about 10 seconds.

The front carb is about six inches from the prop so I chose option #two. That was a good thing because as soon as I pressed the spray button the extension tube on the fogging oil can shot off the nozzle and straight down into the crankcase.

The weather forecast this week has been for fog every day, but we have had clear sky every day with temperature as high as 60 F on Wednesday. Instead of flying I was removing a cylinder to get that darn spray tube out of the crankcase. I finally got it back together Thursday afternoon and the sky was still clear.

I flew around above the canyon behind my house. I saw some elk and some funny looking new construction. Pictures attached.

The Air was Silky smooth and the visability was unlimited. The fog is here now so I can retorque the head bolts and fog the crankcase without using that tube on the can.

BCPwhatsthis.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  211.49 KB
 Viewed:  579 Time(s)

BCPwhatsthis.jpg

BCPRobinsonCan.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  175.06 KB
 Viewed:  579 Time(s)

BCPRobinsonCan.jpg

BCPelk.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  204.41 KB
 Viewed:  592 Time(s)

BCPelk.jpg

Ellensburg, WA
Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Pictures and stories of Kitfox aircraft being put to use Reply with quote

Just like water skis, only colder.... : )

Lynn Matteson
Sensenich 62x46
New skis done and flying
do not archive

On Jan 17, 2009, at 8:27 AM, Catz631(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:
I haven't yet figured out what snow skis are though.
Keep them coming!
Dick Maddux
Pensacola,Fl
(actually Milton,Fl)

www.matronics.com/contribution _-
============================================================

jtayloraaf(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Pictures and stories of Kitfox aircraft being put to use Reply with quote

to: chris & all who so generously share their "pics n stories" on these lists...super dittos for capn maddux's comments. i need all the inspiration i can get down here in south la to finish my avid+. nothing works better than these real life experiences for me. keep 'em coming. tnx john bowman. p.s. i too would love to track my coonass "cousin" leni up to ak & experience some of what he so eloquently describes & ably records....& takes the time to share.

To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2009 7:27:35 AM
Subject: Re: Pictures and stories of Kitfox aircraft being put to use

Chris,
You are right on the money! I too enjoy all the pictures and stories! That's what flying is all about !! Kudo's to Leonard for his fabulous Alaska pictures. I am so envious of you living in Alaska (summer anyway) Wish I had someplace cool to fly. All I have down here is flat. Oh well, at least the doughnuts are good at local airports. I guess I could go over and look at the spot were that Piper Meridian crashed after he bailed out of his airplane. The airplane crashed less than 5 miles from my house and the racket those F-15's were making in the middle of the night while tracking the plane!
Lynn, Your pictures are great also! I haven't yet figured out what snow skis are though.
Keep them coming!
Dick Maddux
Pensacola,Fl (actually Milton,Fl)

[quote]
[b]

Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Pictures and stories of Kitfox aircraft being put to use Reply with quote

Sounds like cousin Leni is soon gonna have his own lil squadron up
there what with he and his brother and you and all....: ) I'd go up
there too, if I could figure a way around Canada's rule about keepin'
Sport Pilots out of their airspace. : (

Lynn Matteson
Sensenich 62x46
New skis done and flying
do not archive

On Jan 17, 2009, at 1:39 PM, john taylor wrote:

Quote:
to: chris & all who so generously share their "pics n stories" on
these lists...super dittos for capn maddux's comments. i need all
the inspiration i can get down here in south la to finish my avid
+. nothing works better than these real life experiences for me.
keep 'em coming. tnx john bowman. p.s. i too would love to track
my coonass "cousin" leni up to ak & experience some of what he so
eloquently describes & ably records....& takes the time to share.

Subject: Re: Pictures and stories of Kitfox aircraft
being put to use

Chris,
You are right on the money! I too enjoy all the pictures and
stories! That's what flying is all about !! Kudo's to Leonard for
his fabulous Alaska pictures. I am so envious of you living in
Alaska (summer anyway) Wish I had someplace cool to fly. All I have
down here is flat. Oh well, at least the doughnuts are good at
local airports. I guess I could go over and look at the spot were
that Piper Meridian crashed after he bailed out of his airplane.
The airplane crashed less than 5 miles from my house and the racket
those F-15's were making in the middle of the night while tracking
the plane!
Lynn, Your pictures are great also! I haven't yet figured out
what snow skis are though.
Keep them coming!
Dick Maddux
Pensacola,Fl
(actually Milton,Fl)

_-
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3
_-
=3D --> http://www.matronics.com/contribution_-
D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

akflyer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures and stories of Kitfox aircraft being put to use Reply with quote

[quote="Lynn Matteson"]Sounds like cousin Leni is soon gonna have his own lil squadron up
there what with he and his brother and you and all....: ) I'd go up
there too, if I could figure a way around Canada's rule about keepin'
Sport Pilots out of their airspace. : (

Lynn Matteson
Sensenich 62x46
New skis done and flying
do not archive

On Jan 17, 2009, at 1:39 PM, john taylor wrote:

Quote:
to: chris & all who so generously share their "pics n stories" on
these lists...super dittos for capn maddux's comments. i need all
the inspiration i can get down here in south la to finish my avid
+. nothing works better than these real life experiences for me.
keep 'em coming. tnx john bowman. p.s. i too would love to track
my coonass "cousin" leni up to ak & experience some of what he so
eloquently describes & ably records....& takes the time to share.

Subject: Re: Pictures and stories of Kitfox aircraft
being put to use

Chris,
You are right on the money! I too enjoy all the pictures and
stories! That's what flying is all about !! Kudo's to Leonard for
his fabulous Alaska pictures. I am so envious of you living in
Alaska (summer anyway) Wish I had someplace cool to fly. All I have
down here is flat. Oh well, at least the doughnuts are good at
local airports. I guess I could go over and look at the spot were
that Piper Meridian crashed after he bailed out of his airplane.
The airplane crashed less than 5 miles from my house and the racket
those F-15's were making in the middle of the night while tracking
the plane!
Lynn, Your pictures are great also! I haven't yet figured out
what snow skis are though.
Keep them coming!
Dick Maddux
Pensacola,Fl
(actually Milton,Fl)

Dont say I didn't warm you about feeding the monkey...

Standing invitation to all who want to fly in some wide open space and get away from pavement pounding. We have 6 flying avids or kitfoxes in the immediate area, and a few more that should be up and flying real soon. Come on up and we can go out fishing, boating, sightseeing telling lies at the local watering holes, you name it we can do it.

If fly fishing is your game, I have some killer spots for fly out raft trips and use of some nice cabins to fly out to. I have the rafts, but it takes a beaver or turbine otter to get us there (can get some good deals on the trips). Ocean fishing for Halibut or salmon is right outside the front door so dont be bashful if you are looking for a good time. I work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off so long trips around the area as easy for me to put together.

I would really like to put together a "guy" trip around middle to end of July. 6 or 8 guys and do a 7-10 day float on the little creek that I am attaching pic's of. These were from a trip I ran last summer.

To really keep it relevant, we can fly the Avid out on floats for nice day or overnight trips to many of the areas lakes, rivers and streams.

leni lake creek 08-5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  499.39 KB
 Viewed:  589 Time(s)

leni lake creek 08-5.jpg

leni lake creek 08-4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  586.34 KB
 Viewed:  497 Time(s)

leni lake creek 08-4.jpg

leni lake creek 08-3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  458.35 KB
 Viewed:  534 Time(s)

leni lake creek 08-3.jpg

leni lake creek 08-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  438.93 KB
 Viewed:  543 Time(s)

leni lake creek 08-2.jpg

leni lake creek 08-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  209.67 KB
 Viewed:  546 Time(s)

leni lake creek 08-1.jpg

Avid "C" / Mk IV
IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1450

lowflyer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures and stories of Kitfox aircraft being put to use Reply with quote

The VW engines pulls the KF IV around very well. I have had great success with the engine so far.

Like many, I don't get to fly as much as I would like to. However, this past year I did use the Kitfox to help me do something else I enjoy very much.

Duck hunting! Prior to this past years duck hunting season in Missouri I used the Kitox to scout out new hunting areas along with taking pictures of a duck blind some friends and I where building on the Mississippi. The aerial photo's helped greatly in identifying where to hunt and also how to access the area on foot. I really enjoyed this flying because I had a mission using the KF. It was a lot of fun.

I attached some photos I shot of the hunting areas and duck blinds on the river. All of the little brush piles are duck blinds. I also attached a photo my daughter took right after take off from my home airport (KCPS). If you look closely you can see the airport very well and right behind it is the St. Louis Arch. It was a great shot by my daughter.

Chris Budd
N53RJ
Kitfox IV Speedster
VW 2180 230hrs

IMG_5467-2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.14 KB
 Viewed:  515 Time(s)

IMG_5467-2.JPG

iphonepics 035-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.66 KB
 Viewed:  502 Time(s)

iphonepics 035-2.jpg

iphonepics 021-3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.29 KB
 Viewed:  509 Time(s)

iphonepics 021-3.jpg

IMG_0875-2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  157.35 KB
 Viewed:  507 Time(s)

IMG_0875-2.JPG

akflyer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures and stories of Kitfox aircraft being put to use Reply with quote

Few shot from playing today. Me and AKFLYERBOB.

DSC02394-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  236.17 KB
 Viewed:  438 Time(s)

DSC02394-1.jpg

DSC02388-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  230.81 KB
 Viewed:  418 Time(s)

DSC02388-1.jpg

DSC02383-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  194.96 KB
 Viewed:  400 Time(s)

DSC02383-1.jpg

DSC02376-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  181.16 KB
 Viewed:  510 Time(s)

DSC02376-1.jpg

DSC02367-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  179.44 KB
 Viewed:  487 Time(s)

DSC02367-1.jpg

DSC02361-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  225.02 KB
 Viewed:  419 Time(s)

DSC02361-1.jpg

DSC02357-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  255.33 KB
 Viewed:  416 Time(s)

DSC02357-1.jpg

Avid "C" / Mk IV
IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1450

Last edited by akflyer on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
akflyerbob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures and stories of Kitfox aircraft being put to use Reply with quote

it was only 10 above and we had a great time gully washing!

henrysfork1(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Pictures and stories of Kitfox aircraft being put to use Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Leonard, good shots you took. Our weather is very similar, cold all winter. The skis appear to be very similar to the original Kitfox skis?

Thanks

Dee Young
Model II
N345DY

Do not archive

[quote][b]

akflyer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures and stories of Kitfox aircraft being put to use Reply with quote

The skis were made by airglass / Landes here in AK.

Avid "C" / Mk IV
IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1450

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: