Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
av8rps

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

I'm working on a second Kitfox project (model IV 912ul with IFA IVO) and am seriously thinking about making removable wing extensions, but with a shorter span than the Speedster. I have it all pretty much figured out now, so it is just a question of whether or not to do it. Anyone have any opinions on this? Also, I would love to see some construction photos of slide in wing extensions if anyone has done a speedster conversion from the long wing.

Oh yeah, I'm basing my rationale for doing this on what Avid did back in the early days when they took their 29+ foot Avid STOL wing off their airplane and made a new semi-symmetrical airfoil with only a 24 foot span. That was pretty short in most peoples opinion, but overall still worked out ok. So I would think a 26 foot Kitfox wing would still provide reasonable performance. I would realistically anticipate a 3-400 fpm drop in climb, but a 15-20 mph increase in cruise over the standard wing. At least that's my goal based on some initial calculations.

Worse case scenario is that I slide the wing extensions back on because it didn't work out like I hoped it would.

Paul S

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

Avid Flyer Sn#1 and Sn#26
Highlander 912s taildragger
Lake Amphibian
Central Wisconsin
paul676@tds.net
Paul A. Franz, P.E.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox Reply with quote

On Thu, January 15, 2009 10:35 pm, av8rps wrote:
Quote:

...... and made a new
semi-symmetrical airfoil with only a 24 foot span. That was pretty short in most
peoples opinion, but overall still worked out ok. So I would think a 26 foot Kitfox
wing would still provide reasonable performance. I would realistically anticipate a
3-400 fpm drop in climb, but a 15-20 mph increase in cruise over the standard wing.
At least that's my goal based on some initial calculations.

Here's what you're going to get for sure.

1) Higher wing loading per unit area. This will make it a little more resistant to
being blown over when parked and it will provide a little smoother ride in rough air.

2) Decidedly faster roll rate. This is something people desire for doing aerobatics.

3) Substantially increased stall speed and hence landing approach speed and lengthened
landing rollout and distance to liftoff.

I would not expect the maximum rate of climb to be drastically reduced. The max climb
rate speed and the max angle speeds will change, both increasing with a shorter
wingspan. I would not expect any significant increase in cruise speed and in fact it
might be lower.

You mention calculations. I'd like to see them. Especially how you arrived at a higher
cruise speed for the same power setting.

You'll likely notice a bit of nose high attitude compared to the same loading
conditions with longer wings.

I would not do this modification unless it were specifically for increased roll rate
that you would want for aerobatics. Of course the bird would fit in a smaller hangar,
ride a little smoother in bumpy air and be just a little less likely to act like a
kite when tied down.

--
Paul A. Franz
Registration/Aircraft - N14UW/Merlin GT
Engine/Prop - Rotax 914/NSI CAP
Bellevue WA
425.241.1618 Cell

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Bellevue WA
425.241.1618 Cell
425.440.9505 Office
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox Reply with quote

At 10:35 PM 1/15/2009, you wrote:
Quote:
Anyone have any opinions on this? Also, I would love to see some
construction photos of slide in wing extensions if anyone has done a
speedster conversion from the long wing.

Paul,
I think it is a GREAT idea. But if you're going to go that
short, you might want to consider getting rid of the struts and
building a cantilever wing. That will save you a lot of drag. Or if
you go with a structural leading edge "D" section you could eliminate
one strut and dramatically increase the utility of vortex generators.
(They don't generally do much on our stock airfoil.) Or if you go
with the stock wing you could shorten the struts proportionally. That
would save some drag.
Guy Buchanan
San Diego, CA
K-IV 1200 / 582-C / Warp / 100% done, thanks mostly to Bob Ducar.

gary.algate(at)sandvik.co

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox Reply with quote

I have a set of wing extensions for my Classic 4. It has most of the speedster mods and I never use the extensions.

If you wanted to experiment with them I would be prepared to sell them.

They are in n excellent cond if you are interested

Gary

Gary Algate
Classic 4 Ja 2200
Office Phone: +61 8 8276 7655

This e-mail is confidential and it is intended only for the addressees. Any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail and delete the message from your system. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which may arise as a result of the e-mail transmission.
“This year, instead of sending you a Christmas card in the mail, we have made a contribution to [url=Arial]UNICEF Australia[/url]. We wish you a safe and happy Christmas".

"Paul Franz - Merlin GT" <paul(at)eucleides.com>
Sent by: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com
16/01/2009 07:47 PM
Please respond to
kitfox-list(at)matronics.com To
kitfox-list(at)matronics.com cc
Subject
Re: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "Paul Franz - Merlin GT" <paul(at)eucleides.com>

On Thu, January 15, 2009 10:35 pm, av8rps wrote:
> --> Kitfox-List message posted by: "av8rps" <paul676(at)tds.net>
>
> ...... and made a new
> semi-symmetrical airfoil with only a 24 foot span. That was pretty short in most
> peoples opinion, but overall still worked out ok. So I would think a 26 foot Kitfox
> wing would still provide reasonable performance. I would realistically anticipate a
> 3-400 fpm drop in climb, but a 15-20 mph increase in cruise over the standard wing.
> At least that's my goal based on some initial calculations.

Here's what you're going to get for sure.

1) Higher wing loading per unit area. This will make it a little more resistant to
being blown over when parked and it will provide a little smoother ride in rough air.

2) Decidedly faster roll rate. This is something people desire for doing aerobatics.

3) Substantially increased stall speed and hence landing approach speed and lengthened
landing rollout and distance to liftoff.

I would not expect the maximum rate of climb to be drastically reduced. The max climb
rate speed and the max angle speeds will change, both increasing with a shorter
wingspan. I would not expect any significant increase in cruise speed and in fact it
might be lower.

You mention calculations. I'd like to see them. Especially how you arrived at a higher
cruise speed for the same power setting.

You'll likely notice a bit of nose high attitude compared to the same loading
conditions with longer wings.

I would not do this modification unless it were specifically for increased roll rate
that you would want for aerobatics. Of course the bird would fit in a smaller hangar,
ride a little smoother in bumpy air and be just a little less likely to act like a
kite when tied down.

--
Paul A. Franz
Bellevue WA
425.241.1618 Cell

av8rps

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox Reply with quote

Paul,

Thanks for your input on my clipped wing idea. I have to admit my calculations are very basic, derived after going through a few books on aerodynamics, and then making some comparisons to aircraft like the Swick Clip Wing Taylorcraft, Clip Wing Monocoupe, etc. I do know at one time Kitfox themselves had considered doing this same mod, but I heard through the grapevine later that they had concerns about owners overspeeding the airframe by using the larger hp 912 engines, and/or overspeeding during acro. That made sense to me, but I really think if I am cautious about how the airplane gets used with the shorter wing, things should be ok. And if the experiment proves to not do what I think it should, then I'll just slide my wing tip extensions back in and go back to a normal wingspan.

Paul

[quote="Paul A. Franz, P.E."]On Thu, January 15, 2009 10:35 pm, av8rps wrote:
Quote:

kite when tied down.

--
Paul A. Franz
Bellevue WA
425.241.1618 Cell

Lake Amphibian
Central Wisconsin
paul676@tds.net
av8rps

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox Reply with quote

Guy,

I agree that building a new design wing would be more practical for overall speed, but I'm not quite wanting to change the Kitfox quite that much. My goal is to see how efficient I can make the existing wing design with the airframe and 80 hp 912. And above all things, I just want to find out what it will do for the airplane, as done by just cutting down the existing wing it is a pretty easy thing to do. I just have to cut down the flaperons and make the wing slide in extensions should I want to go back to the standard wing.

But thanks for the ideas. Heck, thinking about all this stuff is the fun part!

Paul
[/quote]
Paul,
I think it is a GREAT idea. But if you're going to go that
short, you might want to consider getting rid of the struts and
building a cantilever wing. That will save you a lot of drag. Or if
you go with a structural leading edge "D" section you could eliminate
one strut and dramatically increase the utility of vortex generators.
(They don't generally do much on our stock airfoil.) Or if you go
with the stock wing you could shorten the struts proportionally. That
would save some drag.
Guy Buchanan
San Diego, CA
K-IV 1200 / 582-C / Warp / 100% done, thanks mostly to Bob Ducar.[/quote]

Lake Amphibian
Central Wisconsin
paul676@tds.net
Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox Reply with quote

At 07:24 PM 1/18/2009, you wrote:
Quote:
I just have to cut down the flaperons and make the wing slide in
extensions should I want to go back to the standard wing.

Paul,
I'd think hard about figuring out how to get the flaperons
back. (Maybe a slide-in flaperon extension too.) I'd hate to fly a
long-wing or Speedster with "inboard" flaperons.
Guy Buchanan
San Diego, CA

av8rps

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox Reply with quote

Guy,

I'm not following what you mean. What I meant about the flaperon change was that in order to have a 26 foot wingspan Kitfox I will need to cut off a whole bay's worth of flaperon so it matches up with the shorter span wing. I do have a spare set of flaperons laying around that I can cut down for this use, but would really prefer to be able to just slide on a flaperon extension like I would the wing extension whenver I want a long full span wing. It would be much easier and quicker to attach the flaperon extension (if possible) rather than having to change both flaperons back and forth whenever the wing extensions are removed or installed.

I'm wide open for any suggestions or ideas for an easily removed and installed flaperon extension?

Paul
Quote:
Paul, I'd think hard about figuring out how to get the flaperons
back. (Maybe a slide-in flaperon extension too.) I'd hate to fly a
long-wing or Speedster with "inboard" flaperons.
Guy Buchanan
San Diego, CA

Lake Amphibian
Central Wisconsin
paul676@tds.net
Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox Reply with quote

At 07:23 PM 1/21/2009, you wrote:
Quote:
I do have a spare set of flaperons laying around that I can cut down
for this use, but would really prefer to be able to just slide on a
flaperon extension like I would the wing extension whenver I want a
long full span wing. It would be much easier and quicker to attach
the flaperon extension (if possible) rather than having to change
both flaperons back and forth whenever the wing extensions are
removed or installed.

That's what I meant; simply that you wouldn't want to
permanently shorten the flaperon. As to how to sleeve it, that's
another matter, but I think a short fiberglass sleeve with recessed
blind nuts allowing countersunk screws through the two flaperon
pieces would be sufficient. You could lay the fiberglass sleeve up
inside the cut flaperon. Don't worry about a good fit at the trailing
edge. Indeed I'd bring it around in a tubular fashion a couple inches
shy of the trailing edge.
Guy Buchanan
San Diego, CA

akflyer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox Reply with quote

A buddy here has an extended speed wing avid MK IV. The flaperon extension is on the inboard end and is just a tube that plugs into the flaperon spar and extends the spar into the fuse for the control hook up. You end up with a shorter flaperon, but his plane fly's just fine and still has a very sporty roll rate. The flaperon is just moved to the outboard panel when you put the extension on so you don't end up with a very sluggish roll rate. I can get a pic of it in the next day or two if it will help you visualize what I am talking about.

Avid "C" / Mk IV
582 (147 hrs and counting on the rebuild)
IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1450
#1 snake oil salesman since 1-22-2009

I would rather die trying to live, than to live trying not to die....
dgolden(at)golden-consult

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox Reply with quote

av8rps wrote:
Quote:

Guy,

I'm not following what you mean. What I meant about the flaperon change was that in order to have a 26 foot wingspan Kitfox I will need to cut off a whole bay's worth of flaperon so it matches up with the shorter span wing. I do have a spare set of flaperons laying around that I can cut down for this use, but would really prefer to be able to just slide on a flaperon extension like I would the wing extension whenver I want a long full span wing. It would be much easier and quicker to attach the flaperon extension (if possible) rather than having to change both flaperons back and forth whenever the wing extensions are removed or installed.

I'm wide open for any suggestions or ideas for an easily removed and installed flaperon extension?

Paul

Since you're dealing with a control surface, aren't you concerned about
the possibility of flutter? They changed the design of the mass balance
for the Speedster because of this.

Quote:
> Paul, I'd think hard about figuring out how to get the flaperons
> back. (Maybe a slide-in flaperon extension too.) I'd hate to fly a
> long-wing or Speedster with "inboard" flaperons.
> Guy Buchanan
> San Diego, CA

Dennis M IV Speedster (Someday)
--
Dennis Golden
Golden Consulting Services, Inc.

JetPilot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox Reply with quote

There is very little to be gained by making your wing that short. You will increase your roll rate, and get a smoother ride in turbulence, maybe have a bit better handling in wind, but thats about it. The price you pay for this will be very high.

Your imagined increase in cruise speed will most likely NOT happen. The wingspan of an airplane does not increase the drag as much as you think and when you shorten it you will not see an increase in speed. What you will likely do is actually slow down your airplane by INCREASING induced drag. With a very short wing, the angle of attack to maintain level flight can become so high that drag is greatly increased with a shorter wing.

You will decrease your climb rate significantly. And more importantly you will decrease you safety. With much higher speeds needed for approach and landing, your options with an engine out will be much worse than with a longer wing in the event of an engine disappointment. You will also reduce the number of fields you can fly in and out of safely, hope you don't like short grass fields.

Titan added 4 feet to the length of the wingspan in their Titan Tornado Super Sport with NO loss of speed, got an increase in climb, and decrease of stall and approach speeds. It is a very common misconception that decreasing wingspan of an airplane will make it faster, if it were that easy everyone would be doing it, including most of airplane manufacturers. All this has been done, and Kitfox has come up with about the best balance of high speed cruise and good climb rate, and slow speed performance with the wingspan they have.
So if your idea is to go out and do aerobatics, and fly in huge winds and turbulence, your short wing will probably be a good thing. If you think you are going to cruise faster, and have an airplane that has good climb, and any kind of performance at altitude, you are in for a very big disappointment.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
akflyer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox Reply with quote

yeah and short wing pipers don't fly either right???? The pacer clan of pipers has alot shorter wing than a cub or 12 etc. They fly fine, in fact, I am about an hour away from rolling one out the the hangar to fly a guy up to pick up another one. People say the pacer is a hand full and tricky to fly... this all brought on by people that don't get out and fly much. I can get it to fly within 5 MPH of my avid on landing and take off, yet cruise much faster.

Paul, experiment away, you can plug the wing back in if it does not work, if it does GREAT. You know the potential consequences of shortening the wing (faster ground speed on TO/ landing are a given), the rest is speculation and as of yet opinion.... and we all know that each of us has one, and what it compares to lol.

Avid "C" / Mk IV
582 (147 hrs and counting on the rebuild)
IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1450
#1 snake oil salesman since 1-22-2009

I would rather die trying to live, than to live trying not to die....
JetPilot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox Reply with quote

akflyer wrote:

yeah and short wing pipers don't fly either right???? The pacer clan of pipers has alot shorter wing than a cub or 12 etc. They fly fine, in fact.

You are very wrong about that AKFlyer, the short wing Pipers have a horrible reputation, and rightfully so. There is a really good reason manufacturers of modern airplanes have not imitated these short winged Pipers, and why the short winged pipers have not been produced in many many years and have never been copied ( Unlike the Piper Cub ). So despite your " Flawed Reasoning " and somewhat appealing an nostalgic post relating to old pipers, what you say is just bad information. I would hope most people here are smart enough to realize bad information even when it is presented by some slick, smoothing talking, snake oil salesman.

Given aerodynamic information available these days, it is a really bad idea to clip the wings that short. Just look at the wingspans of most modern Light Sport Aircraft today, their wings have a pretty high aspect ratio, there is a very good reason for that.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
wingnut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox Reply with quote

Wow. Posts like this are the reason I stopped reading this forum. I poke in once in three months and I'm not disappointed. Glad to know I'm not missing much. Thanks!

Quote:
You are very wrong about that AKFlyer, the short wing Pipers have a horrible reputation, and rightfully so. There is a really good reason manufacturers of modern airplanes have not imitated these short winged Pipers, and why the short winged pipers have not been produced in many many years and have never been copied ( Unlike the Piper Cub ). So despite your " Flawed Reasoning " and somewhat appealing an nostalgic post relating to old pipers, what you say is just bad information. I would hope most people here are smart enough to realize bad information even when it is presented by some slick, smoothing talking, snake oil salesman.

Given aerodynamic information available these days, it is a really bad idea to clip the wings that short. Just look at the wingspans of most modern Light Sport Aircraft today, their wings have a pretty high aspect ratio, there is a very good reason for that.

Flying Weekly
Laurens, SC (34A)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox Reply with quote

I wish we had some way of just removing malicious content like "I would hope most people here are smart enough to realize bad information even when it is presented by some slick, smoothing talking, snake oil salesman."

What is it with these people.

Most of the list seems to be intelligent, kind and helpful and then we get some genuinely rude members that somehow get through the screening process.

I think if you don't agree with a comment it's your prerogative to respond with a different view but there's no excuse for personally attacking another list member.

It's a great forum "normally"

Gary

Gary Algate
Classic 4 Jab 2200

This e-mail is confidential and it is intended only for the addressees. Any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail and delete the message from your system. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which may arise as a result of the e-mail transmission.
“This year, instead of sending you a Christmas card in the mail, we have made a contribution to [url=Arial]UNICEF Australia[/url]. We wish you a safe and happy Christmas".

"wingnut" <wingnut(at)spamarrest.com>
23/01/2009 12:34 PM
Please respond to
Subject
Re: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "wingnut" <wingnut(at)spamarrest.com>

Wow. Posts like this are the reason I stopped reading this forum. I poke in once in three months and I'm not disappointed. Glad to know I'm not missing much. Thanks!

> You are very wrong about that AKFlyer, the short wing Pipers have a horrible reputation, and rightfully so. There is a really good reason manufacturers of modern airplanes have not imitated these short winged Pipers, and why the short winged pipers have not been produced in many many years and have never been copied ( Unlike the Piper Cub ). So despite your " Flawed Reasoning " and somewhat appealing an nostalgic post relating to old pipers, what you say is just bad information. I would hope most people here are smart enough to realize bad information even when it is presented by some slick, smoothing talking, snake oil salesman.
>
> Given aerodynamic information available these days, it is a really bad idea to clip the wings that short. Just look at the wingspans of most modern Light Sport Aircraft today, their wings have a pretty high aspect ratio, there is a very good reason for that.

--------
Luis Rodriguez
Model IV 1200
Rotax 912UL
Flying Weekly
Laurens, SC (34A)

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=226271#226271

Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox Reply with quote

Hey, we've missed you Luis....it's not like this all the time...why,
just last week we were all enjoying talking about tailwheels, or
maybe that was just me enjoying it, while some others suffered. : )

If you're still tuned in, some of us are also "flying weekly" if not
daily. Why not tell us about some of your flying adventures...that
seems to be the hot topic.
Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, #2062, 600.2 hrs
Sensenich 62x46
Electroair direct-fire ignition system
New skis done and flying
do not archive

On Jan 22, 2009, at 8:56 PM, wingnut wrote:

Quote:

Wow. Posts like this are the reason I stopped reading this forum. I
poke in once in three months and I'm not disappointed. Glad to know
I'm not missing much. Thanks!
> You are very wrong about that AKFlyer, the short wing Pipers have
> a horrible reputation, and rightfully so. There is a really good
> reason manufacturers of modern airplanes have not imitated these
> short winged Pipers, and why the short winged pipers have not been
> produced in many many years and have never been copied ( Unlike
> the Piper Cub ). So despite your " Flawed Reasoning " and somewhat
> appealing an nostalgic post relating to old pipers, what you say
> is just bad information. I would hope most people here are smart
> enough to realize bad information even when it is presented by
> some slick, smoothing talking, snake oil salesman.
>
> Given aerodynamic information available these days, it is a really
> bad idea to clip the wings that short. Just look at the wingspans
> of most modern Light Sport Aircraft today, their wings have a
> pretty high aspect ratio, there is a very good reason for that.
--------
Luis Rodriguez
Model IV 1200
Rotax 912UL
Flying Weekly
Laurens, SC (34A)

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 26271#226271

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox Reply with quote

Love that sense of humour! Why are you still up?

Gary Algate
SMC, Exploration

Lynn Matteson <lynnmatt(at)jps.net>
23/01/2009 01:07 PM
Please respond to
Subject
Re: Re: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: Lynn Matteson <lynnmatt(at)jps.net>

Hey, we've missed you Luis....it's not like this all the time...why,
just last week we were all enjoying talking about tailwheels, or
maybe that was just me enjoying it, while some others suffered. : )

If you're still tuned in, some of us are also "flying weekly" if not
daily. Why not tell us about some of your flying adventures...that
seems to be the hot topic.

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, #2062, 600.2 hrs
Sensenich 62x46
Electroair direct-fire ignition system
New skis done and flying
do not archive

On Jan 22, 2009, at 8:56 PM, wingnut wrote:

> --> Kitfox-List message posted by: "wingnut" <wingnut(at)spamarrest.com>
>
> Wow. Posts like this are the reason I stopped reading this forum. I
> poke in once in three months and I'm not disappointed. Glad to know
> I'm not missing much. Thanks!
>
>
>> You are very wrong about that AKFlyer, the short wing Pipers have
>> a horrible reputation, and rightfully so. There is a really good
>> reason manufacturers of modern airplanes have not imitated these
>> short winged Pipers, and why the short winged pipers have not been
>> produced in many many years and have never been copied ( Unlike
>> the Piper Cub ). So despite your " Flawed Reasoning " and somewhat
>> appealing an nostalgic post relating to old pipers, what you say
>> is just bad information. I would hope most people here are smart
>> enough to realize bad information even when it is presented by
>> some slick, smoothing talking, snake oil salesman.
>>
>> Given aerodynamic information available these days, it is a really
>> bad idea to clip the wings that short. Just look at the wingspans
>> of most modern Light Sport Aircraft today, their wings have a
>> pretty high aspect ratio, there is a very good reason for that.
>
>
> --------
> Luis Rodriguez
> Model IV 1200
> Rotax 912UL
> Flying Weekly
> Laurens, SC (34A)
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=226271#226271
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

larry huntley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox Reply with quote

Mike,
I need to know all I can learn about the short wing Piper's horrible
reputation . I have about 3000 hrs in 5 different short wing Pipers. My wife
and I have been in every state except Hawaii and most of Canada in the 27
yrs we have been flying our Tripacer N8835D . I have a few hundred hrs in
Vagabonds and probably 50 or so in a Pacer. Maybe I should be more careful.
Do you think I am putting my wife and myself in danger? I had no idea. Thank
you for the warning. You may have saved Leonard's life also,
Whew.
Larry Huntley,Kitfox 4-1200, Soob, AMAX redrive 500+hrs

---

av8rps

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 26 foot Clipped Wing Kitfox Reply with quote

C'mon gang, let's keep this thread civil and productive. And let's face it, until one of us actually tries a 26 ft wing mod, none of us really knows what the results will be.

I don't want to create big debates about all this, so maybe if I can better explain my logic it will help everyone to better understand why I believe this will work as I think it will;

#1 - When Skystar clipped the standard Kitfox wing 3 ft to create the Speedster, they found they increased the stall speed only minimally, lost very little climb rate, but gained approximately 8-12 mph in speed. That tells me that there is apparently still plenty of wing area for the weight of the airplane.

#2 - If you do a wing loading calculation for a 650 lb model IV with the 26 ft wing vs a 825 lb Model 5-7 Kitfox with a full length wing, the wing loadings for both airplanes are virtually the same assuming the same cabin and fuel load (I used 300 lbs for the example below).

Here's my math;
Model IV w/26 ft wing (at) 950 lbs -:- 107 sq ft = 8.8 lbs sq ft
Model 7 w/32 ft wing (at) 1125 lbs -:- 131 sq ft = 8.6 lbs sq ft

So, a 26 ft M4 does in fact have a similar wing loading to a newer Kitfox with the longer, full span wing. If the newer Fox had a Speedster 29' wing, it is likely to have worse overall performance than the 26' M4.

#3 - One of the most popular homebuilts ever created is the Van's RV series. They are not only fast long distance cruisers, but also have relatively slow stall speeds and good short field capability considering their high top speed capability. Statistically, an early RV-3 weighs 750 lbs empty, has a top speed of 207 mph, a climb rate of 2050 fpm, and a stall speed of 51 mph. All that on a measly 19 ft wing with only 90 sq ft of area. And if you look at any of the other RV series airplanes, you will see similar information. The longest wing they use on any of their models is 28 ft, but ironically that model has a 30+ slower top speed, a climb rate that is 1/2 that of the shorter wing models, and a stall speed that is only 3-5 mph slower than the short wings. So much for thinking you can't have a short wing airplane perform well for a wide speed range. The popularity of the RV series is testimony to that, as they are highly regarded for their excellent handling and outstanding performance.

#4 - The crude "guess-timate" I came up with for performance is based primarily on information I took out of a book titled "Design for Flying", written by David Thurston, a Grumman aircraft designer that is best known for having designed the Lake Amphibian. I own a Lake Amphibian in addition to my Kitfoxes, and after having put 900+ hours on it, I have a huge respect for Mr. Thurstons design and engineering abilities (a Lake is a very complex, but efficient design). So I am pretty confident my basic information and theory on this Kitfox wing modification is reasonably well founded.

Once again, I don't mean to cause any big heated debates over this idea. I just thought it would be neat to get some input from the group before I start cutting spar tubes.

Paul

ps - Akflyer; I'd love to see those pics of your friends flaperon extensions. Oh yeah, I have some time in a 135 hp and a 150 hp Pacer. In my opinion the short wing Pipers are highly misunderstood, and underappreciated airplanes. I think anyone that flies one long enough to understand it will learn to love it. Incidently, our Avid/Kitfox designer Dean Wilson told me the Piper Clipper is one of his most favorite airplanes. He just finished restoring a custom one for himself.

Lake Amphibian
Central Wisconsin
paul676@tds.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: