Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

checking spark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul A. Franz, P.E.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: checking spark Reply with quote

On Tue, January 20, 2009 5:48 pm, Peerenboom's wrote:
Quote:
Other than ohm meter checks or the people at Lockwood have a tester of some sort I do
not know of a recommended way.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but just using an ordinary timing light with or
without an inductive pickup about the easiest way to check spark. You don't have to
remove a plug and there is no risk of damaging the ignition primary side (low voltage
side) with a disconnected spark plug wire.

That's how I do it easily enough.

--
Paul A. Franz
Registration/Aircraft - N14UW/Merlin GT
Engine/Prop - Rotax 914/NSI CAP
Bellevue WA
425.241.1618 Cell

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

Bellevue WA
425.241.1618 Cell
425.440.9505 Office
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
CDE2fly(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: checking spark Reply with quote

Paul - this sounds like a great idea. So the procedure would be to clamp the inductive pick-up to any of the plug wires (all plugs still in the engine) and turn the engine with the starter/battery to see if the strobe on the timing light flashes?

Inauguration '09: Get complete coverage from the nation's capital.
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Paul A. Franz, P.E.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: checking spark Reply with quote

On Tue, January 20, 2009 6:48 pm, CDE2fly(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:
Paul - this sounds like a great idea. So the procedure would be to clamp
the inductive pick-up to any of the plug wires (all plugs still in the engine)
and turn the engine with the starter/battery to see if the strobe on the
timing light flashes?

Yes, that's perfect. Even if your timing light doesn't have an inductive pickup, it
only adds the step of removing the spark plug wire or possibly only the protective
cover and connecting the timing light. Mine is DC powered and the big wire on the
starter is pretty handy for the positive connector and connect the black to any good
ground on the engine.

These modern ignition systems make only minimal spark so I'm not surprised you can't
see it even in dim light. I can't even see it on my Ford F-150 with a plug out but the
timing light picks it up fine.

--
Paul A. Franz
Bellevue WA
425.241.1618 Cell

Bellevue WA
425.241.1618 Cell
425.440.9505 Office
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: checking spark Reply with quote

Hi guys.
Just buy an AC power tester like the one pictured. It's about $12. Hold it up next to the wire and it will flash with regular flashes if you have a good wire and plug. If the wire is bad it won't flash or only once in a while.. It only has to be next to the wire it doesn't have to touch it. You can diagnose an entire wiring system in no time or find where a break in the plug wire is.

AC tester 1.JPG
 Description:
AC power tester
 Filesize:  1.23 MB
 Viewed:  499 Time(s)

AC tester 1.JPG

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
JetPilot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: checking spark Reply with quote

Checking the spark that way is a really good way to ruin your ignition modules very quickly. There are at least several possibilities now:

Your Ignition is wired incorrectly, which would be good because the modules would nave been burnt out if they were not producing a spark.

You may not be seeing the spark that is there.

Or you may have burnt up your ignition modules by using a really bad and harmful test method, in which case you would see no spark.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: checking spark Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

That is why I like using my tester. You do not disconnect anything. Just run the engine as normal and hold the tester by the wire. You can even move it along the length of wire and it will detect a break.
Just another diagnostic tool to toss in your bag.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
patreilly43(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: checking spark Reply with quote

Roger C OK C I am sold. I Googled up the Greenlee tester. Yours (thanks for the picture) is 50-1000 volts. Greenlee has 2 models C yours and a low voltage model for 12-90 volts. I would guess I want the low 12-90 volt model for our application. But C as I stated C yours is the high voltage model. Does it work on 12 volt ignition systems? They are less than $15 apiece. I guess the question is academic C might as well buy both at that price.

Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuild
Rockford C IL

Quote:
Subject: Re: checking spark
Date: Fri C 23 Jan 2009 08:23:09 -0800
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "Roger Lee" <ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com>

Hi Mike C

That is why I like using my tester. You do not disconnect anything. Just run the engine as normal and hold the tester by the wire. You can even move it along the length of wire and it will detect a break.
Just another diagnostic tool to toss in your bag.

--------
Roger Lee
Tucson C Az.
Light Sport Repairman - Maintenance Rated
Rotax Service Center
520-574-1080

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=226364#226364

&gt======================

&gt============
Quote:

CDE2fly(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: checking spark Reply with quote

Mike - I checked the wiring for each ignition position and all is well on that front. I'm hoping for the "not seeing the spark" scenario as burned module(s) would be a bummer for sure.

There's a definite consensus that testing for ignition by grounding a plug to the block can damage the modules...does anyone know why this is the case? Seems like the plug would not know if it's grounded to the block externally of if it's screwed into the block? Seems the same electronically...

I purchased a timing light tonight and plan to check for ignition using this method tomorrow.
Know Your Numbers: Get tips and tools to help you improve your credit score.
[quote][b]

Paul A. Franz, P.E.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: checking spark Reply with quote

On Fri, January 23, 2009 5:53 pm, CDE2fly(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:
Mike - I checked the wiring for each ignition position and all is well on
that front. I'm hoping for the "not seeing the spark" scenario as burned
module(s) would be a bummer for sure.

You've isolated it just slightly. It's either a wiring (or grounding) problem or the
ignition module is faulty.

Quote:
There's a definite consensus that testing for ignition by grounding a plug
to the block can damage the modules...does anyone know why this is the case?

The idea is that with the plug loose, it'll have either no ground contact, poor
contact or variable contact. In an open circuit condition, the impedance is so high
that it is thought that high voltage spikes in the secondary (spark circuit) could
leak into the primary, damaging electronic components similar to the damage that can
be caused with static electricity.

What bothers me about this assumption is that would imply that a bad spark plug wire
(or one that is disconnected) could damage the electronics. That seems to me to be an
unacceptable flaw in design.

Quote:
Seems like the plug would not know if it's grounded to the block externally
of if it's screwed into the block? Seems the same electronically...

True, but the assumption is that the spark plug laying on the engine may not be
grounded at all, or periodically as the engine bounces around while cranking it over.

Quote:
I purchased a timing light tonight and plan to check for ignition using this
method tomorrow.

Unfortunately, this will just confirm spark or no spark. Not the holy grail of repair
diagnostics.

BTW, did you know that your ISP (AOL) is appending advertising to your outgoing e-mail?

Quote:
**************Know Your Numbers: Get tips and tools to help you improve your
credit score.
(http://www.walletpop.com/credit/credit-reports?ncid=emlcntuswall00000002)

That would be instant cause for parting with that company to me. Or at least getting
e-mail from someone else. I don't think gmail appends ads. I see that hotmail has
them, not sure about yahoo mail either.

--
Paul A. Franz
Bellevue WA
425.241.1618 Cell

Bellevue WA
425.241.1618 Cell
425.440.9505 Office
JetPilot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: checking spark Reply with quote

Paul A. Franz, P.E. wrote:

What bothers me about this assumption is that would imply that a bad spark plug wire
(or one that is disconnected) could damage the electronics. That seems to me to be an

Yes, I have worried about the same thing, either a wire going bad, or even one just coming off the plug, that would be an expensive thing to have happen for such a minor problem. I have heard of these modules going out more often than I like, seems the Italians don't make as good as ignition modules as the Japanese put in their cars Sad

For CDE2Fly,

If you had the plug against ground, and did not have an open circuit giving the high voltage nowhere to go, you are probably fine. The plug does not know if its screwed into the cylinder or not. The danger is when it just hangs there not touching ground. I bet you just find something in the wiring not quite right. Also remember, the 912-S has to spin pretty fast to generate a spark, was your starter battery fully charged and turning the engine over at a good rate ?? Its not like an aircraft where it will spark as you turn the prop by hand.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Fox5flyer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Checking Spark Reply with quote

Paul, very good points and I couldn't agree more. I've been messing with snowmobiles for many years and they've been using electronic ignitions for a very long time. Many times I've had to lay the plug on the top of the head to check for spark and never have I fried a module. I'm pretty sure they're more robust than that.

However, those modules are expensive and a very good way to eliminate the possibility is to take a simple working spark plug, pretty much any plug will do that is similar to the OEM, then using Mig/Tig or a torch of some sort, ascetylene (or however its spelled) is good, weld/braze to the body of the plug a piece of wire a couple feet long. On the other end of the wire crimp a good robust alligator clip. Make a couple of these (or a set if you wish) then when you need to check spark simply use these plugs in place of your originals, plug the alligator clip to a good engine ground then lay them anywhere you can see them and crank the engine. They'll have a good ground so no fear of frying electronics and you can even hold them in your hand, if you're brave enough. There are variations of this. You can also completely eliminate the wire and weld the alligator clip directly to the plug. Whatever your imagination comes up with will probably work. Great to hang on your shop wall for when you need them.

If you don't have the resources or time to roll your own, then go here: http://tewarehouse.com/7-05931

Deke Morisse
Mikado Michigan
S5/Subaru/CAP 402+ TT
"The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress."
- Joseph Joubert

Paul scribbled:
On Fri, January 23, 2009 5:53 pm, CDE2fly(at)aol.com (CDE2fly(at)aol.com) wrote:
Quote:
Mike - I checked the wiring for each ignition position and all is well on
that front. I'm hoping for the "not seeing the spark" scenario as burned
module(s) would be a bummer for sure.

You've isolated it just slightly. It's either a wiring (or grounding) problem or the
ignition module is faulty.

Quote:
There's a definite consensus that testing for ignition by grounding a plug
to the block can damage the modules...does anyone know why this is the case?

The idea is that with the plug loose, it'll have either no ground contact, poor
contact or variable contact. In an open circuit condition, the impedance is so high
that it is thought that high voltage spikes in the secondary (spark circuit) could
leak into the primary, damaging electronic components similar to the damage that can
be caused with static electricity.

Quote:
Seems like the plug would not know if it's grounded to the block externally
of if it's screwed into the block? Seems the same electronically...

True, but the assumption is that the spark plug laying on the engine may not be
grounded at all, or periodically as the engine bounces around while cranking it over.

Quote:
I purchased a timing light tonight and plan to check for ignition using this
method tomorrow.

Unfortunately, this will just confirm spark or no spark. Not the holy grail of repair
diagnostics.

BTW, did you know that your ISP (AOL) is appending advertising to your outgoing e-mail?

Quote:
**************Know Your Numbers: Get tips and tools to help you improve your
credit score.
(http://www.walletpop.com/credit/credit-reports?ncid=emlcntuswall00000002)

That would be instant cause for parting with that company to me. Or at least getting
e-mail from someone else. I don't think gmail appends ads. I see that hotmail has
them, not sure about yahoo mail either.

--
Paul A. Franz
Bellevue WA
425.241.1618 Cell

[quote][b]

matronics(at)bob.brennan.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: checking spark Reply with quote

When I first got my Model 2 my CFI pointed out it had the wrong kind of
wires/plugs and on several pre-flights we found one had come off during a
previous flight. It became a part of my pre-flight to push down all wires
until I finally (after a few weeks) found a source for proper aircraft plugs
and wires.

My point is that I had several instances of flying with wires-off-plugs and
no damage to the ignition module.

Bob Brennan - N717GB
ELSA Repairman, inspection rated
1991 UK Model 2 ELSA Kitfox
Rotax 582 with 3 blade prop
Wrightsville Pa
--

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: checking spark Reply with quote

Hi Pat,

The tester you want is the 50-1000 volt. Spark plugs are high energy AC. Then when you aren't using it on the plane I'm sure you have some honey do's where it might come in handy. It will not work on 12 volt.
The modules don't go bad that often. They are over a $1,000 each. If you are only dropping approximately 300 rpm then it is a plug or wire. It is not the module. A bad module is about 800+ rpm. The plug wires can be replaced as they are only screwed into the plug boot and ignition coil. The tester I posted will pick out the bad wire or plug. Most of the time it is a bad connection at the plug boot or a bad ground wire up by the modules. Find the effected wire with the tester. Pull the plug boot and trim the wire back about 1/4"-3/8" and re-insert the wire into the boot and or change the plug. You can unplug the modules on top of the engine and swap them and see if the problem follows the module during a mag check or stays the same. This will help tell you, along with the plug wire testing where to start looking.
Who ever is having the problem what is the rpm drop during the mag check? Depending on the rpm that you do a mag check at, the rpm drop will be between 60-100 rpm. You should not do a low rpm mag check because it is hard to see anything. 3200-3500 is where most do their checks. At about 3300-3400 rpm the drop is about 80 rpm. The higher the rpm, the higher and easier it is to see a good mag drop or feel engine roughness. Doing a mag check at too low an rpm is not helpful.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
ppeerenbo(at)charter.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: checking spark Reply with quote

Most of the problems I have had with a 300rpm drop were traced to a spark
plug cap. Two were the spring clip for the top of the plug. Check the fit of
each plug. "If it don't click pitch"

Paul N102DG
Model IV 912UL

---

CDE2fly(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: checking spark Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone offering advice on trouble shooting my ignition concerns. The engine is a new (never run) 912S. An update on the trouble shooting efforts over the weekend are as follows:

1. I purchased an inductive timing light to check spark to each plug. This worked GREAT! Simply power the light by clipping power and ground leads to the battery and clip the inductive pick-up on to each plug wire one at a time, while cranking the engine. If the light strobes, there is voltage to the plug. Really slick way to check for spark without removing plugs.

2. Results of my testing showed that six of the eight plugs are getting voltage. The plugs at the top of cylinders 3 and 4 were not. These plugs are both wired to the same dual ignition coil.

3. Trying to isolate the problem, I swapped ignition unit plugs so that unit "A" was driving circuit "B" and vice-versa. This resulted in no change...still no voltage to the top plugs in cylinders 3 and 4 but this should confirm that the ignition units are functioning properly (i.e., not damaged)

4. When I first installed the engine (going back a year or so), I recall removing one of the magneto pick-ups as I wrestled to get the engine on the ring mount (not necessary as it turns out!). Thinking I may not have reinstalled the pick up correctly, I removed the engine from the airplane to access the pick ups and check the one I removed for proper position (as well as the others) with a feeler gage. The pick-ups were in the correct location.

5. This leads me to suspect that there is either a faulty magneto pick-up or faulty coil. Not sure if the coil was damaged from spinning the engine w/out plugs grounded or not. Since this is my first 912S install, I purchased a video which suggested removing one plug from each cylinder and cranking the engine with the starter to purge air pockets from the oil system prior to first start (which I did).  Based on feedback from this forum, this is not advised.

If anyone has ideas to trouble shoot the ignition coil, please let me know.

Chris
Kitfox 7 912S

Know Your Numbers: Get tips and tools to help you improve your credit score.
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: