Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where can I land my 701

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricklach

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Where can I land my 701 Reply with quote

Question: Dose any one know what the laws are in your state for landing your airplane on government (federal or state) land that is not an airport. Meaning if I’m flying along and I see a nice place to land to enjoy the afternoon sun can I land without worrying about being prosecuted by someone. I can park my car on that same spot and not be bothered so why can’t I park my airplane? I am particularly interested in comments from pilots in the western U.S. as I am not living in Calif. and looking forward to this next summer with my 701.
You see I use to live in Alaska and it’s Legal by Law to land on the roads up there. The larger incorporated cities like Anchorage have laws against it of course. But that’s why you see Cubs parked in front of houses as you drive down the highway and no airport for miles. They just use the highway to land and take off.
I have searched the internet for the law here in California and I found where they specifically state that you can not land on any highway except for emergencies. But what about out in the middle of the desert. Again if I can park my car there why can’t I park my airplane there too?

Rick

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Where can I land my 701 Reply with quote

Hi Rick,
The laws are variable state to state, but the common thread would
suggest you'd find little resistance to your landing in a desolate spot,
or country road
if you wanted to. We've several grass strips in both Iowa and Illinois
are parallel with country roads and they use the roads when the snow
gets deep or the grass is
soggy. Never heard anyone complain and the sheriff doesn't want to know.
I'd consider carefully the prospect before landing on private property
without permission.
On a first case landing issue though, you could be checking for
carburetter ice and "just had to land".
If I have a forced landing, you can be sure that without a runway, I'm
going to use a country highway or road if the poles are clear enough off
to the side.

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com
do not archive

ricklach wrote:
Quote:

Question: Dose any one know what the laws are in your state for landing your airplane on government (federal or state) land that is not an airport. Meaning if I’m flying along and I see a nice place to land to enjoy the afternoon sun can I land without worrying about being prosecuted by someone. I can park my car on that same spot and not be bothered so why can’t I park my airplane? I am particularly interested in comments from pilots in the western U.S. as I am not living in Calif. and looking forward to this next summer with my 701.
You see I use to live in Alaska and it’s Legal by Law to land on the roads up there. The larger incorporated cities like Anchorage have laws against it of course. But that’s why you see Cubs parked in front of houses as you drive down the highway and no airport for miles. They just use the highway to land and take off.
I have searched the internet for the law here in California and I found where they specifically state that you can not land on any highway except for emergencies. But what about out in the middle of the desert. Again if I can park my car there why can’t I park my airplane there too?

Rick

--------
Rick
N35 26.700, W118 16.743

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 27880#227880

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

FlyGuyTililDie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I land my 701 Reply with quote

I'm from Utah originally. About 10 years ago there was a Bell 206 that landed in Southern Utah so the pilot could drain his bladder. He just rolled the throttle to idle, set the friction locks and went about his business as two hikers watched from across the way. He was back in the cockpit within a couple of minutes and went on his way. The hikers wrote down the N number and turned him in which resulted in a serious fine for the pilot only because it was a national park where he landed. I've never seen anything in the FAR's regarding this so it must be up to each individual state. I'm willing to bet though that California has more complicated rules regarding this than anyone else.

do not archive

jfosse1(at)shawneelink.ne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Where can I land my 701 Reply with quote

I live in Illinois. You cannot even land on your own property without it
being approved by the Illinois Dept of Transportation. This really irks me
but that's what the law says.

Jim Fosse
701 N329F
Goreville, IL

lgold(at)quantum-associat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Where can I land my 701 Reply with quote

Rick,
Here in N. California my flying club lands in lots of interesting places including beaches, sand bars, public lands and farm fields (with permission). We did get in trouble once for landing in a National wildlife preserve and had to sit though a lecture on why this is a no-no (you could be hit with big fines and once landed you can't take off without permission). On the way to Arizona, in Nevada, in stronger than expected head-winds, we had to land on a road in the desert to gas-up. Although the road was void of cars, within minutes of our landing a police car pulled up. The officer told us we can't land on roads in Nevada and we can't take off either! You could imagine how we felt until he winked at us and added "but I will be leaving in a few minutes". Another time we landed on a road that one of our club members had built years ago because the guy wanted to show us how well he built it, only to be stopped by military police for trespassing. When we said we were having engine trouble we were allowed to leave.
Les

--

bobkat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Where can I land my 701 Reply with quote

Up here in ND there was never a law saying you couldn't land on a road till
recently. Sprayers often did so! Only one guy I knew of actually got a
ticket, and that was more or less because he was using a rather busy section
(for ND) of a main highway for his spray operations and it was obviously
unsafe! Definitely a road he shouldn't have been using, except in an
emergency!
He argued to the police officer that he couldn't be given a ticket as it was
NOT illegal to land on a road in ND at the time, and he was technically
correct! So the highway patrolman thought for a while and gave him a ticket
for "too wide a load!" The next year the legislature passed a no landing on
roads law! A classic example of one idiot ruining things for everyone!
Today, landing on roads up here is kind of a 'don't ask don't tell' thing.
If you are doing it safely in an out of the way place unless someone
complains, (extremely unlikely to happen) most law enforcement people look
the other way. I've taxiid from my shop to my hangar down a busy road many
times, but I tell the Sherriff's office I'll be doing it and they are only
too happy to send out a car to stop traffic. Probably livens up their day,
as they always seem to get a kick out ot it!
I plan to take off from that road with their assistance in a few days once I
get hangar space lined up at the neighboring airport as mine is under 2
feet of packed snow right now which severely curtails my test flying! I'm
stalled out at 31 hours!
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: