Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tensile Strength of AN470 solid rivets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougsire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Tensile Strength of AN470 solid rivets Reply with quote

I am working up a rivet strength comparison chart and am trying to find the tensile strength of AN470 1/8" and 5/32" solid aluminum rivets. I found the shear strength in the ZAC Construction Standards but haven't been able to track down tensile. Anyone have that handy?

Thanks,
Doug Sire
601XL
Billings, MT

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List

bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Tensile Strength of AN470 solid rivets Reply with quote

I did a Google search on "tensile strength of an470 rivet" and found
this site at the top of the list:
http://tinyurl.com/aj37tw

On Feb 2, 2009, at 4:37 PM, dougsire wrote:

Quote:

I am working up a rivet strength comparison chart and am trying to
find the tensile strength of AN470 1/8" and 5/32" solid aluminum
rivets. I found the shear strength in the ZAC Construction
Standards but haven't been able to track down tensile. Anyone have
that handy?

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
RAM Subaru, Stratus redrive.
do not archive.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

do not archive.
dougsire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tensile Strength of AN470 solid rivets Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that in my searches all I have found is a very high number (at least relative to others that I'm comparing against), such as 38,000 lbs. This must be an ultimate number whereas everything else I've found is in the few hundred lb range. Maybe these are "yield" strength? For example, the factory spec sheet for an Avex A5 rivet shows a tensile strength of 300 lbs.

Doug Sire

bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Tensile Strength of AN470 solid rivets Reply with quote

That 38,000 you found is given in pounds per square inch. If you
multiply that by the cross sectional area of the rivet, you'll get the
actual strength of that rivet. About 466 pounds for an 1/8" rivet.

On Feb 2, 2009, at 5:36 PM, dougsire wrote:

Quote:

I forgot to mention that in my searches all I have found is a very
high number (at least relative to others that I'm comparing
against), such as 38,000 lbs. This must be an ultimate number
whereas everything else I've found is in the few hundred lb range.
Maybe these are "yield" strength? For example, the factory spec
sheet for an Avex A5 rivet shows a tensile strength of 300 lbs.

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
RAM Subaru, Stratus redrive.
do not archive.

do not archive.
bcchurch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tensile Strength of AN470 solid rivets Reply with quote

Doug,

Some confusion can creep in here. Strength can refer to the rivet material itself or the joint which the rivet forms.

Shear strength numbers I have seen appear to me to refer to strength of a joint (like a lap-shear joint). Tensile strength numbers (like the 38 ksi you mentioned) appear more like tensile strength of the rivet material.

Once you get your data, would you please post it here along with links to where the data was obtained? It would probably save some others a lot of time duplicating your efforts.

Regards,
Ben Church

do not archive

JohnDRead(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Tensile Strength of AN470 solid rivets Reply with quote

Doug;
 The 300 lb number is probably the clamping strength of the rivet whereas the 38,000 lb number is the yield strength of the aluminum.

John Read
CH701 - Elbert CO - Jabiru 3300

Phone: 303-648-3261
Fax: 303-648-3262
Cell: 719-494-4567
In a message dated 2/2/2009 3:37:15 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, dsire(at)imt.net writes:
Quote:
--> Zenith601-List message posted by: "dougsire" <dsire(at)imt.net>

I forgot to mention that in my searches all I have found is a very high number (at least relative to others that I'm comparing against), such as 38,000 lbs. This must be an ultimate number whereas everything else I've found is in the few hundred lb range. Maybe these are "yield" strength? For example, the factory spec sheet for an Avex A5 rivet shows a tensile strength of 300 lbs.

Doug Sire

--------
Doug Sire 601XL

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=228220#228220

Stay up to date on the latest news - from sports scores to stocks and so much more.
[quote][b]

leinad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Tensile Strength of AN470 solid rivets Reply with quote

Doug,
I've relied on the info from Aircraft Spruce. Here's an example:
""A" rivets are "soft". They are fabricated from 1100-grade aluminum and have a tensile strength of 16,000 PSI. "AD" rivets are fabricated from 2117 aluminum and heat treated to the T4 condition. They have a shear strength of 26,000 PSI and a tensile strength of 38,000 PSI.
I think you'll find the ZAC drawing indicate the stronger "AD" rivets.
Dan

dougsire wrote:
I am working up a rivet strength comparison chart and am trying to find the tensile strength of AN470 1/8" and 5/32" solid aluminum rivets. I found the shear strength in the ZAC Construction Standards but haven't been able to track down tensile. Anyone have that handy?

Thanks,
Doug Sire
601XL
Billings, MT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: