Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV-8 Flap Sensor - A Simple Installation Design...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: RV-8 Flap Sensor - A Simple Installation Design...? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a simple, reliable installation design for the little position sensor from MAC Trim when used with the Electric Flap option on the PP QB RV-8? I've scratched my head for few hours now and have some ideas, but nothing that really seems like its simple enough or not prone to jamming. What have other builders done? Pictures would be great!

Thanks,

Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880/N998RV (res)

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List

2008.09.27_-_RV-8_-_Electric_Flap_Installation_-_Down.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  175.37 KB
 Viewed:  487 Time(s)

2008.09.27_-_RV-8_-_Electric_Flap_Installation_-_Down.jpg

2009.02.03_-_RV-8_-_Flap_Position_Sensor.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  275.05 KB
 Viewed:  457 Time(s)

2009.02.03_-_RV-8_-_Flap_Position_Sensor.jpg

chriswelsh(at)sbcglobal.n

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: RV-8 Flap Sensor - A Simple Installation Design...? Reply with quote

Matt-

I just recently installed the flap position sensor in my SLOW build RV8. Like many before me, I just used a clevis and pushrod from an RC plane. I also installed a flaps up limit switch since I have a (ON)-OFF-ON switch on the stick.

Chris Welsh,
Livermore, CA

--- On Tue, 2/3/09, Matt Dralle <dralle(at)matronics.com> wrote:
Quote:
Subject: RV-8 Flap Sensor - A Simple Installation Design...?
To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Tuesday, February 3, 2009, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Does anyone have a simple, reliable installation design for the little positionsensor from MAC Trim when used with the Electric Flap option on the PP QB RV-8? I've
scratched my head for few hours now and have some ideas, but nothingthat really seems like its simple enough or not prone to jamming. What haveother builders done? Pictures would be great!Thanks,Matt DralleRV-8 #82880/N998RV (res)

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Flap_Pos_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  327.4 KB
 Viewed:  491 Time(s)

Flap_Pos_1.jpg

Flap_Pos_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  341.73 KB
 Viewed:  549 Time(s)

Flap_Pos_2.jpg

Flap_Limit_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  177.51 KB
 Viewed:  517 Time(s)

Flap_Limit_1.jpg

chasm711(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: RV-8 Flap Sensor - A Simple Installation Design...? Reply with quote

Matt

Designing neat stuff to put in our airplanes is always fun.  I installed a gascolator on the firewall.  Beautiful mounting and fuel line installation.  It cost money C took time C added weight and complexity.  It is absolutely worthless C but pretty.  Your flaps and their position are instantly and easily visible from the cockpit.  The only positions you really care about setting without looking around are full up and full down and and the switch takes care of that.  Paint a short line on the leading edge of the flap where it goes under the top skin if you need exact intermediate settings.  I'm sure an indicator has been done but I have never seen one.  Good luck C have fun and don't let anyone tell you what to put in your airplane.

Paul Schattauer
RV8 N808PS

Quote:
Date: Tue C 3 Feb 2009 20:04:03 -0800
To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RV-8 Flap Sensor - A Simple Installation Design...?

Does anyone have a simple C reliable installation design for the little position sensor from MAC Trim when used with the Electric Flap option on the PP QB RV-8? I've scratched my head for few hours now and have some ideas C but nothing that really seems like its simple enough or not prone to jamming. What have other builders done? Pictures would be great!

Thanks C

Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880/N998RV (res)

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: RV-8 Flap Sensor - A Simple Installation Design...? Reply with quote

Matt, it's your plane - build it anyway you want. I'm building a 8a now and completed a Zenith 601XL a few years ago. On the XL I installed a flap indicator. I have never looked at it on landing or even taxi off and would have to search to even find it now. I just peek out the canopy and instantly know what is what and I don't have to come back into the cockpit at a critical moment (just prior ro flair). On my 8a I'm going useful and needful only. Complex don't make her fly any faster. Best regards, Bill of Georgia

--

aerobubba(at)earthlink.ne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: RV-8 Flap Sensor - A Simple Installation Design...? Reply with quote

Hi Bill-

I've got a QQ WRT "I just peek out the canopy and instantly know what is what..."

How well does that work at night?

Glen Matejcek

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: RV-8 Flap Sensor - A Simple Installation Design...? Reply with quote

Glen, even better. For night landings I always have my lights on. When it's really a problem is when I make night landings with my eyes closed.
They always make the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Best regards, Bill

--

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: RV-8 Flap Sensor - A Simple Installation Design...? Reply with quote

Hi Bill-

Quote:
Glen, even better. For night landings I always have my lights on...

Does this mean the random difraction and / or reflection of the landing lights is adequate to gauge the flap position, or does the beacon do it for you, or how exactly are you seeing the flap position at night?

Glen Matejcek

JAPhillipsGA(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: RV-8 Flap Sensor - A Simple Installation Design...? Reply with quote

Glen, I have white paint on my flaps and wings. Very shinny white paint. They reflect light very well so I can see when the flaps are down. I have a tail light at the bottom of my rudder. I suspect that light reflects off of the white underside of the horizontal stabilizer and elevator onto the upper rear wing surface and flap. The rear light is a constant beam bulb that has a 210 degree defuse lens. I figure that is how I can see the top of the wing in the dark. Do I detect from your reply some disbelief from your tone? Could it be you never fly at night and look outside at you wings and see them? That must be pretty scary not to be able to see your wings. Perhaps you fly planes with little bitty wings and even smaller flaps or your vision is poor. I think you should have a large well lite flap indicator in your plane. A very large one so you'll always know when your flaps are up or down in the dark. Best regards, Bill
Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: RV-8 Flap Sensor - A Simple Installation Design...? Reply with quote

Gee, Bill, thanks for your reply. It only took a couple tries to get the
requested information.

As to your concerns, my vision isn't as good as it has been in the past,
but it does suffice. And no, the wings of the planes I fly aren't
particularly small, yet very little of them can be seen from the cockpit.
Pretty much just the tips and winglets. It has also been rather a few
years since I've flown anything where you can even see the flaps from the
cockpit at all. Further, I have yet to fly my -8 but I will be flying it
at night, it won't be painted bright white, and I will have no exterior
lights aft of the spar. Hence my perceived utility in a flap position
indicator in my particular plane, flying to meet my particular needs. So,
no, there was no disbelief in my tone, just a desire to understand how it
is you see unlit structure in total darkness. That would constitute actual
useful information.

Lastly, the only thing about aviation I find scarry is the intellect, or
more correctly, the lack thereof displayed by some of the people we are
compelled to share the airspace with.

As you say, best regards.

And in consideration of others, Do Not Archive.

glen matejcek
aerobubba(at)earthlink.net

Time: 08:37:35 PM PST US
Subject: Re: Re: RV-8 Flap Sensor - A Simple Installation
Design...?

Glen, I have white paint on my flaps and wings. Very shinny white paint.
They reflect light very well so I can see when the flaps are down. I have a
tail

light at the bottom of my rudder. I suspect that light reflects off of the
white underside of the horizontal stabilizer and elevator onto the upper
rear

wing surface and flap. The rear light is a constant beam bulb that has a
degree defuse lens. I figure that is how I can see the top of the wing in
the

dark. Do I detect from your reply some disbelief from your tone? Could it
be
you never fly at night and look outside at you wings and see them? That
must
be pretty scary not to be able to see your wings. Perhaps you fly planes
with little bitty wings and even smaller flaps or your vision is poor. I
think

you should have a large well lite flap indicator in your plane. A very
large
one so you'll always know when your flaps are up or down in the dark. Best
regards, Bil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: