Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A cry for help from NZ!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Rocket-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew(at)nzactive.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: A cry for help from NZ! Reply with quote

Guys, a wee problem - my damn tailwheel snapped off. The (I don't know
the word, but the long bar that goes back the tailwheel assmembly)
snapped clean off, flush with the tailwheel assembly. As I'm not the
builder (I know, I know) I don't know if that is a standard RV-4 item,
or one of the things switched out when the RV-4 is transmogrified into a
Rocket. Cos of what seems like a lot more weight than my RV-4 ever had.
Mine is a well built HRII, not an F1. Anyone know where I can get one of
those bars asap? I got a ROG situation, which is even worse than an AOG
situation Smile Seriously, I'd like to find that item, and get one sent
down to NZ as soon as possible, cos the aircraft is stuck 400 miles from
my home field till I can sort it out.

Also, a heads-up - something to be aware of, and inspect more
thoroughly, I guess. To be fair, I hit a rabbit hole and the tail came
up very high before bashing down hard, stick back....but I wasn't much
more than walking pace, maybe running pace, so no other damage done. But
mebbe worth inspecting more thoroughly at annual time, if you fly off
short grass strips with occasional rabbit holes in em!

Cheers

Andrew

--

- The Matronics Rocket-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Rocket-List
n395v

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: A cry for help from NZ! Reply with quote

Look Here
http://www.decisionlabs.com/QuickPlace/wayne/Main.nsf/h_Toc/3F6DF4BE0484540D85257291005B7BAE/?OpenDocument

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

fred.laforge(at)verizon.n

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: A cry for help from NZ! Reply with quote

Andrew, Van makes 2 different tail springs that will fit your Rocket, a bent
one (standard) and one for an after market tail wheel (better).

---

lschneider39(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: A cry for help from NZ! Reply with quote

Hey Fred, Please elaborate on the bent tail wheel spring from Vans. I've
installed maybe a dozen springs and they were all straight. Where is the
bend and why? Thanks, Larry
---

fred.laforge(at)verizon.n

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: A cry for help from NZ! Reply with quote

Its the one they normally supplied, the tail wheel fork pivots on the
section that is bent down. Maybe they dont use them any more.
---

smokyray(at)rocketmail.co

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: A cry for help from NZ! Reply with quote

The Stock RV4 (straight) tail spring works great when combined with the Aviation Products Inc. dual fork tailwheel assembly. Mine works great. Vince Frazier also has a nice tailwheel setup on his website. Check it out...

Smokey
HR2

--- On Mon, 2/9/09, Larry Schneider <lschneider39(at)cox.net> wrote:
[quote]From: Larry Schneider <lschneider39(at)cox.net>
Subject: Re: A cry for help from NZ!
To: rocket-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Monday, February 9, 2009, 10:57 AM

[quote]--> Rocket-List message posted by: "Larry Schneider"
<lschneider39(at)cox.net>

Hey Fred, Please elaborate on the bent tail wheel spring from Vans. I've
installed maybe a dozen springs and they were all straight. Where is the
bend and why? Thanks, Larry
---

lschneider39(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: A cry for help from NZ! Reply with quote

Fred, You sure are dating yourself, I remember now, Thanks. Smile))
---

Lee Logan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: A cry for help from NZ! Reply with quote

Andrew: We had the same thing happen to the tail spring on our RV-4. Flew it home off the grass strip we were on at the time. The spring held up fine by itself during takeoff and the subsequent landing at home field. If you are going to be stuck for awhile, you might consider that. No harm, no foul, when we did it. YMMV, of course!

Regards,

Lee...
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: A cry for help from NZ! Reply with quote

Andrew,

I too operate my Rocket off a short, rough turf strip with the occasional fire ant mound and gopher hole. A cub actually broke a tailspring here, not an easy task. I too replaced my original tail spring installed by the builder in 96', fortunately before it snapped off from an elongated hole and crack. I turned my new tail spring end on a lathe slightly prior to installing the assembly to remove the taper where the assembly slides on. I also drilled two small holes rather than one large one through the spring to hold the assembly on. If your prior owner drilled a large hole or "slammed" the tailwheel down a few times, it might have stressed it. Either way, the fix will exceed your expectations.
On my strip, I rarely three point land my Rocket in lieu of wheels landings, although I fly a three point approach and ease it up on the mains at touchdown. My 380X150X5 Desser tires have helped immensely along with my API dual fork tailwheel. As mentioned before, Vince's heavy duty tailwheel assembly and the Bell work well too.

Something else I really like for STOL operations is my Lift Reserve AOA indicator. It lets you fly final at "max performance" safely. My normal approach groundspeed is 57-59 knots, something I'm sure you can appreciate.

Fair Dinkum!
Smokey
HR2

Subject: Re: Rocket-List: A cry for help from NZ!
Date: Monday, February 9, 2009, 3:32 PM

---

John Bolding

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: A cry for help from NZ! Reply with quote

Rob ,and the Group.
Several months ago I had a couple hundred of the LRI probes molded up out of black nylon, I sell these for $45, shipping included. Also have the gauges for $25 but no faces yet, anyone interested can contact me off list.
John Bolding jnbolding1(at)teleshare.net (jnbolding1(at)teleshare.net)
[quote] ---

smokyray(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: A cry for help from NZ! Reply with quote

Could I trade my current probe?

--- On Mon, 2/16/09, John Bolding <jnbolding1(at)teleshare.net> wrote:

[quote] From: John Bolding <jnbolding1(at)teleshare.net>
Date: Monday, February 16, 2009, 10:12 AM
Rob ,and the Group.
Several months ago I had a couple hundred of the LRI probes
molded up out of black nylon, I sell these for $45,
shipping included. Also have the gauges for $25 but no
faces yet, anyone interested can contact me off list.
John Bolding jnbolding1(at)teleshare.net
---

andrew(at)nzactive.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: A cry for help from NZ! Reply with quote

Hi Smokey! Thanks for the email, and sorry about the delay in responding. I'm finally clearing the backlog of helpful emails I received on the subject of my poor ole AOG Rocket, which is still AOG due to a few logistical issues. I have been travelling out of the country, but while I was away, a VERY kind reader on the list sent me down a tailwheel spring that he had lying around, unused. All the way to New Zealand - it was in NZ before I was! He wouldn't even take money. Aren't some people nice? (I'm gonna insist on the money, of course.) So I'll be trying to get my Rocket back in the air on Monday.

I'm going to fit a standard RV-4 setup to get me going, but I really like the idea of the dual fork tailwheel, and any other ruggedizing measures I can undertake. As for the AOA indicator, that sounds GREAT. This is one of those, um, sense over ego issues, and I think, as ever, sense should win here. The neighbours round here are insane, so I sometimes have to land downwind for noise abatement. Needless to say I fly slow, power-on approaches, and usually do a tail low wheeler, with some pretty aggressive braking, cos I find the ole Rocket doesn't brake nearly as well with the tailwheel down. Seems to work. But having a more scientific sense of my AoA, in addition to the ususal cues, can only be a good thing. I'll get one, for sure. Is it a biggie to fit?

And, last dumb question, I've broken my landing gear/engine mount three times now, albeit in 600 hours. (Did I mention my strip exactly flat? It makes judging the touchdown a little tricky, or maybe I just didn't pay enough attention at pilot school Smile We keep welding it up, and it keeps breaking. I'm sure Mr RV wouldn't be too happy to see what has become of his original creation, but the fact is, the HRII makes a damn fine bush aircraft. So long as you don't mind welding! Have you ever heard of a stronger engine mount available anywhere???

Andrew

From: owner-rocket-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rocket-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Rob Ray
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:46 AM

Andrew,

I too operate my Rocket off a short, rough turf strip with the occasional fire ant mound and gopher hole. A cub actually broke a tailspring here, not an easy task. I too replaced my original tail spring installed by the builder in 96', fortunately before it snapped off from an elongated hole and crack. I turned my new tail spring end on a lathe slightly prior to installing the assembly to remove the taper where the assembly slides on. I also drilled two small holes rather than one large one through the spring to hold the assembly on. If your prior owner drilled a large hole or "slammed" the tailwheel down a few times, it might have stressed it. Either way, the fix will exceed your expectations.
On my strip, I rarely three point land my Rocket in lieu of wheels landings, although I fly a three point approach and ease it up on the mains at touchdown. My 380X150X5 Desser tires have helped immensely along with my API dual fork tailwheel. As mentioned before, Vince's heavy duty tailwheel assembly and the Bell work well too.

Something else I really like for STOL operations is my Lift Reserve AOA indicator. It lets you fly final at "max performance" safely. My normal approach groundspeed is 57-59 knots, something I'm sure you can appreciate.

Fair Dinkum!
Smokey
HR2

---

Mytyweav(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: A cry for help from NZ! Reply with quote

You would be well advised to get a Tailwheel assembly from Vince Frazier. Once that's in place, you might start thinking about some might fine Gussets on your Engine Mount. Stop the cracks before they appear.
Weav

ACTIVE NZ - Andrew wrote: [quote] Hi Smokey! Thanks for the email, and sorry about the delay in responding. I'm finally clearing the backlog of helpful emails I received on the subject of my poor ole AOG Rocket, which is still AOG due to a few logistical issues. I have been travelling out of the country, but while I was away, a VERY kind reader on the list sent me down a tailwheel spring that he had lying around, unused. All the way to New Zealand - it was in NZ before I was! He wouldn't even take money. Aren't some people nice? (I'm gonna insist on the money, of course.) So I'll be trying to get my Rocket back in the air on Monday.

I'm going to fit a standard RV-4 setup to get me going, but I really like the idea of the dual fork tailwheel, and any other ruggedizing measures I can undertake. As for the AOA indicator, that sounds GREAT. This is one of those, um, sense over ego issues, and I think, as ever, sense should win here. The neighbours round here are insane, so I sometimes have to land downwind for noise abatement. Needless to say I fly slow, power-on approaches, and usually do a tail low wheeler, with some pretty aggressive braking, cos I find the ole Rocket doesn't brake nearly as well with the tailwheel down. Seems to work. But having a more scientific sense of my AoA, in addition to the ususal cues, can only be a good thing. I'll get one, for sure. Is it a biggie to fit?

And, last dumb question, I've broken my landing gear/engine mount three times now, albeit in 600 hours. (Did I mention my strip exactly flat? It makes judging the touchdown a little tricky, or maybe I just didn't pay enough attention at pilot school Smile We keep welding it up, and it keeps breaking. I'm sure Mr RV wouldn't be too happy to see what has become of his original creation, but the fact is, the HRII makes a damn fine bush aircraft. So long as you don't mind welding! Have you ever heard of a stronger engine mount available anywhere???

Andrew

From: owner-rocket-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rocket-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rocket-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rocket-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Rob Ray
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:46 AM
To: rocket-list(at)matronics.com (rocket-list(at)matronics.com)

Andrew,

Fair Dinkum!
Smokey
HR2

--- On Mon, 2/9/09, Larry Schneider <lschneider39(at)cox.net> (lschneider39(at)cox.net) wrote:
[quote]From: Larry Schneider <lschneider39(at)cox.net> (lschneider39(at)cox.net)
To: rocket-list(at)matronics.com (rocket-list(at)matronics.com)

[quote]--> Rocket-List message posted by: "Larry Schneider" <lschneider39(at)cox.net> (lschneider39(at)cox.net) Fred, You sure are dating yourself, I remember now, Thanks. Smile)) ---

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: A cry for help from NZ! Reply with quote

G'day Andrew!
Glad you are using your Rocket "off road" as I do. I am running a new stndard Harmon mount with gussets. I use a landing technique I used in my RV4, threepoint approach to a wheels landing stance, rolling on so to speak. Smooth touchdowns result, even with an approach speed of 65 knots, touchdown 58.As I said, I really like the API tw, clears the rocks better than any of them. My buddy russ has a strip north of Auckland, stop by. Let me know if I can help! Fair dinkum, bloody oath!
Smokey
HR2

--- On Fri, 2/27/09, Fred Weaver <Mytyweav(at)earthlink.net> wrote:

[quote] From: Fred Weaver <Mytyweav(at)earthlink.net>
Date: Friday, February 27, 2009, 12:49 PM
You would be well advised to get a Tailwheel assembly from
Vince Frazier. Once that's in place, you might start
thinking about some might fine Gussets on your Engine Mount.
Stop the cracks before they appear.
Weav

ACTIVE NZ - Andrew wrote:
> Hi Smokey! Thanks for the email, and sorry about the
delay in responding. I'm finally clearing the backlog of
helpful emails I received on the subject of my poor ole AOG
Rocket, which is still AOG due to a few logistical issues. I
have been travelling out of the country, but while I was
away, a VERY kind reader on the list sent me down a
tailwheel spring that he had lying around, unused. All the
way to New Zealand - it was in NZ before I was! He
wouldn't even take money. Aren't some people nice?
(I'm gonna insist on the money, of course.) So I'll
be trying to get my Rocket back in the air on Monday.
> I'm going to fit a standard RV-4 setup to get me
going, but I really like the idea of the dual fork
tailwheel, and any other ruggedizing measures I can
undertake. As for the AOA indicator, that sounds GREAT. This
is one of those, um, sense over ego issues, and I think, as
ever, sense should win here. The neighbours round here are
insane, so I sometimes have to land downwind for noise
abatement. Needless to say I fly slow, power-on approaches,
and usually do a tail low wheeler, with some pretty
aggressive braking, cos I find the ole Rocket doesn't
brake nearly as well with the tailwheel down. Seems to work.
But having a more scientific sense of my AoA, in addition to
the ususal cues, can only be a good thing. I'll get one,
for sure. Is it a biggie to fit?
> And, last dumb question, I've broken my landing
gear/engine mount three times now, albeit in 600 hours. (Did
I mention my strip exactly flat? It makes judging the
touchdown a little tricky, or maybe I just didn't pay
enough attention at pilot school Smile We keep welding it up,
and it keeps breaking. I'm sure Mr RV wouldn't be
too happy to see what has become of his original creation,
but the fact is, the HRII makes a damn fine bush aircraft.
So long as you don't mind welding! Have you ever heard
of a stronger engine mount available anywhere???
> Andrew
>
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *From:* owner-rocket-list-server(at)matronics.com
[mailto:owner-rocket-list-server(at)matronics.com] *On Behalf
Of *Rob Ray
> *Sent:* Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:46 AM
> *To:* rocket-list(at)matronics.com
> *Subject:* Re: A cry for help from NZ!
>
> Andrew,
>
> I too operate my Rocket off a short, rough turf
strip with the occasional fire ant mound and gopher hole. A
cub actually broke a tailspring here, not an easy task. I
too replaced my original tail spring installed by the
builder in 96', fortunately before it snapped off from
an elongated hole and crack. I turned my new tail spring
end on a lathe slightly prior to installing the assembly to
remove the taper where the assembly slides on. I also
drilled two small holes rather than one large one through
the spring to hold the assembly on. If your prior owner
drilled a large hole or "slammed" the tailwheel
down a few times, it might have stressed it. Either way, the
fix will exceed your expectations.
> On my strip, I rarely three point land my Rocket in
lieu of wheels landings, although I fly a three point
approach and ease it up on the mains at touchdown. My
380X150X5 Desser tires have helped immensely along with my
API dual fork tailwheel. As mentioned before, Vince's
heavy duty tailwheel assembly and the Bell work well too.
>
> Something else I really like for STOL operations is
my Lift Reserve AOA indicator. It lets you fly final at
"max performance" safely. My normal approach
groundspeed is 57-59 knots, something I'm sure you can
appreciate.
>
> Fair Dinkum!
> Smokey
> HR2
>
>
>
> --- On *Mon, 2/9/09, Larry Schneider
/<lschneider39(at)cox.net>/* wrote:
>
> From: Larry Schneider <lschneider39(at)cox.net>
> Subject: Re: A cry for help from NZ!
> To: rocket-list(at)matronics.com
> Date: Monday, February 9, 2009, 3:32 PM
>
>
Schneider"
> <lschneider39(at)cox.net>
>
> Fred,
> You sure are dating yourself, I remember now,
Thanks. Smile))
> ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Rocket-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: