Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Handpropping a 912

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitfoxjunky(at)decisionla

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Handpropping a 912 Reply with quote

Anyone ever do this successfully? Was looking to do some ski flying, but spending the winter on a frozen lake with a dead battery does not seem appealing. I think if heard of someone handpropping a 912...but never a 912s.

Any feedback?

Gary Walsh
KF IV Anphib 912S
C-GOOT
www.decisionlabs.com/kitfox

do not archive
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Handpropping a 912 Reply with quote

Do not try to hand prop a 912ULS with it's compression ratio. Like anything else. You may get away with it or you may not. What's your hand worth to you?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
Dick Maddux

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Handpropping a 912 Reply with quote

Don't hand prop a 912 ! Again to refer to my Rotax class at Lockwood ,Dean (the instructor) said he had heard of two guys that successfully did it but both said they would NEVER attempt it again !. Keep in mind you have to get the prop to 200 rpm before the ignition kicks in. Odds are you will stick your hands into the just started engine as you have to get the prop moving so fast and it raps up to 1800 rpm like now !. Talk about a meat cleaver!

Dick Maddux
        Fox 4-1200
        912 Ul
        Pensacola,Fl
The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards. AOL Music takes you there.
[quote][b]

matronics(at)bob.brennan.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Handpropping a 912 Reply with quote

Gary - if you're worried about getting stuck on a frozen lake with a dead battery - carry a spare battery!

As others have advised, handpropping could spoil your day, if not your life.

Bob Brennan - N717GB
ELSA Repairman, inspection rated
1991 UK Model 2 ELSA Kitfox
Rotax 582 with 3 blade prop
Wrightsville Pa

Subject: Handpropping a 912 From: kitfoxjunky(at)decisionlabs.com ([email]kitfoxjunky(at)decisionlabs.com?subject=Re:%20Handpropping%20a%20912&replyto=OFC7FF6EF1.B6B0049C-ON85257558.007BA9E9-85257558.007BB43F(at)decisionlabs.com[/email]) Date: [b]Mon Feb 09 - 2:33 PM[/b] [quote]
Quote:
Anyone ever do this successfully? Was looking to do some ski flying, but
spending the winter on a frozen lake with a dead battery does not seem
appealing. I think if heard of someone handpropping a 912...but never a
912s.

Any feedback?

Gary Walsh
KF IV Anphib 912S
C-GOOT
www.decisionlabs.com/kitfox

do not archive
[b]

kitfoxfugit(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Handpropping a 912 Reply with quote

Gary Walsh asked: Anyone ever do this successfully? Was looking to do some ski flying, but spending the winter on a frozen lake with a dead battery does not seem appealing. I think if heard of someone handpropping a 912...but never a 912s.
I have hand propped a 912UL when the battery was low. It cannot be completely dead, though; it needs some battery to excite the alternator. If you are used to Continentals or Lycomings, watch out! Instead of sputtering to life it roars instantly to life at a fast RPM, and three blades come around faster than two. Also, you should not turn it backwards to try to unflood it.

JA KF IV (at) O70

eskflyer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Handpropping a 912 Reply with quote

My fox had a 582 and three blade prop . Hand propped it many times . no problem after you pull it threw you wait to put your hand back up to pull it around again . If you dont you a dumb-ass and dont like your hands very much. For the ones of you afraid to hand prop a lycosaurus or continental we do it all the time . if done correctly there is no issue . use your head and be safe fly safe and have fun .

3579A

582 cbox 2:62-1 IVO IFA
1220 Full Lotus
Fox5flyer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Handpropping a 912 Reply with quote

Wasn't the question/thread regarding hand propping a 912x?
Deke Morisse
Mikado Michigan
S5/Subaru/CAP 402+ TT
"The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress."
- Joseph Joubert
Quote:
My fox had a 582 and three blade prop . Hand propped it many times . no
problem after you pull it threw you wait to put your hand back up to pull
it around again . If you dont you a dumb-ass and dont like your hands very
much. For the ones of you afraid to hand prop a lycosaurus or continental
we do it all the time . if done correctly there is no issue . use your
head and be safe fly safe and have fun .
John Perry

eskflyer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Handpropping a 912 Reply with quote

Keep in mind you have to get the prop to 200 rpm before the ignition kicks in. Odds are you will stick your hands into the just started engine as you have to get the prop moving so fast and it raps up to 1800 rpm like now !. Talk about a meat cleaver!

Yep he was talking about a 912 . the 582 idles at 2000 rpm hmmmmm it raps up faster than a 912 does . I have had great success at handproping it many many times . battery dead and or the starter died . It had the 3 blade 68" gsc PROP.

3579A out

582 cbox 2:62-1 IVO IFA
1220 Full Lotus
helili(at)chahtatushka.ne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Handpropping a 912 Reply with quote

The first 3 aircraft I ever flew didn't have starters, batteries, or
generators. The only way to get them started was handpropping, and yes, it
can be done easily on Continental and Lycoming engines. The worst engine
I've hand propped was a Continental IO-540 on a C-185 on straight floats
when it was still in the water. Areal PIA propping it standing behind the
prop on floats.

John Hart
KF IV, NSI Subaru
Wiloburton, OK

--

rjdaugh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Handpropping a 912 Reply with quote

Yup, 2000 rpm is faster than 1800 rpm, but I think we are talking about how
quickly the engine gets up to that rpm. The 912S is a higher torque engine.
I bet it gets there faster. Thus the need for extreme caution.

I still might try if faced with a cold night and/or a long hike.

Randy
Series 5/7, 912S Warpdrive
--

brianm(at)snolab.ca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Handpropping a 912 Reply with quote

Hi

My instructor has hand propped his 912 many times with success. He brings
the prop slowly to the 12 o'clock position and pulls down. He stands next to
the cowl between the engine and door. I personally haven't tried it but it
looks pretty straight forward at least when he does it.

Brian
speedster 912
85% complete

--

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Handpropping a 912 Reply with quote

A friend had a PA 12 on floats.. no starter, no gen.
Hand propped it after pushing off the wharf or while standing on a mooring
line. Once the engine caught he would steer it to deeper water by leaning
in and pushing the rudder pedals with his hand. Once in clear water he
would then jump in.

Noel

--

vetdrem

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Handpropping a 912 Reply with quote

I handpropped my 912ul. At the time, it was handprop or walk home. I thought that the starter solenoid had bit the dust, but it turned out to be a bad connector.
I used the same procedure that I use to start the A-65 in my Taylorcraft. Have someone in the plane holding the brakes and operating the throttle. Prop at the point of coming up on the compression stroke, palms flat on the blade (no fingers over trailing edge or behind the blade) rapidly pull down on the blade while backing away from the prop.

The rotax fired right away, and I was well clear of the blades.

It isn't something that I would do for the heck of it, but at least I know that I can, and if due diligence is exercised, it is pretty safe.

Louie
model 3 912 ul

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Handpropping a 912 Reply with quote

Are you saying you stand in front of the plane while propping?

I guess the person riding the brakes was a real close friend.

Noel

--

Fox5flyer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Handpropping a 912 Reply with quote

Yikes! Sounds like a big problem waiting for a good time to happen.
Deke
do not archive

---

Dick Maddux

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: Handpropping a 912 Reply with quote

John,
I assure you hand propping a Rotax 912 is NOTHING like a Lycoming or Continental engine. I too have hand propped many many Cubs,Champs and even Wacos,Monocoupes,etc.I owned a Luscombe for 5 years and of course that is the only way you could start it.
All of these propellers have weight and the engine is relatively slow starting. 912's generally have extremely light weight props so no inertia. The engine is either on at 1800-2000 rpm or off. Can't say anything about starting a two stroke by hand as I have never had one.
As they teach in class and common sense dictates, Don't do it!
        Dick Maddux
        Fox4-1200
        Rotax 912UL
        Pensacola,Fl
The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards. AOL Music takes you there.
[quote][b]

helili(at)chahtatushka.ne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Handpropping a 912 Reply with quote

I was taught 50 years ago to stand in front of the A/C to hand prop an
engine on a land plane, and behind the prop on floats. I've hand propped a
J-3, a Luscombe, and a Taylorcraft with an A-65 Continental without anyone
in the cockpit many, many times. The instructors wouldn't solo you if you
couldn't prop the aircraft without any help. The instructors back then
usually were either old guys that had been flying and flown light aircraft
without electrical systems before WW II, or younger guys that were WW II
veterans.

John Hart
KF IV, NSI Subaru
Wilburton, OK

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: