Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will any company insure a student/Kitfox?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
815TL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Will any company insure a student/Kitfox? Reply with quote

I looked into this onece before and did not find any companies that would insure the combination of a Kitfox and a student pilot. Right now I am flying without insurance. I am not so much worried about the plane, but liability. If, God forbid, for some reason I lose control and hit another airplane on the ramp, person, or the hangar, I would like some coverage to pay for it.

I checked again today with two companies, and both told me I had insufficient time in type. How the heck do they expect you to get time in type, unless you fly uninsured. It is almost like they exect you to fly the first few hundered hours with no insurance. If that is what it takes, fine, but I would feel better with a little coverage.

Is there anyone that has been able to get insurace on a Kitfox as a student, or am I just stuck.

It just seems backwards to me.

Andrew,
815TL, Kitfox II, Rotax 582-C

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
sbennett3(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Will any company insure a student/Kitfox? Reply with quote

Andrew, I flew the first 250 hrs without insurance. I think when you get your certificate/licence, You'll be able to get insurance but trust me. It will be costly. Self insure for the first year and it'll also remind you to fly in good conditions and to always be safe. When I was 16 and was getting my drivers licence(28 yrs ago) the instructor told us students that he wished all students would learn how to drive as if there's a big knife sticking out of the steering wheel... He said you'll think twice before following too close or stopping too fast... Steve Bennett 4 classic 1200 912UL 109BB

In a message dated 02/12/09 15:34:01 Eastern Standard Time, lawrenceaw(at)corning.com writes:
[quote] .aolmailheader {font-size:8pt; color:black; font-family:Arial} a.aolmailheader:link {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal} a.aolmailheader:visited {color:magenta; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal} a.aolmailheader:active {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal} a.aolmailheader:hover {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal} --> Kitfox-List message posted by: "815TL" <lawrenceaw(at)corning.com>

I looked into this onece before and did not find any companies that would insure the combination of a Kitfox and a student pilot. Right now I am flying without insurance. I am not so much worried about the plane, but liability. If, God forbid, for some reason I lose control and hit another airplane on the ramp, person, or the hangar, I would like some coverage to pay for it.

I checked again today with two companies, and both told me I had insufficient time in type. How the heck do they expect you to get time in type, unless you fly uninsured. It is almost like they exect you to fly the first few hundered hours with no insurance. If that is what it takes, fine, but I would feel better with a little coverage.

Is there anyone that has been able to get insurace on a Kitfox as a student, or am I just stuck.

It just seems backwards =
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

planecrazy2020(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Will any company insure a student/Kitfox? Reply with quote

Andrew,

Try this company:

Gregg Ellsworth
Aviation Insurance Resources
P.O. Box 32
Frederick, MD 21705
toll free: 1-877-247-7769
fax: 1-301-682-9793
www.AIR-PROS.com

His rates were better than most.

David
KF II, HKS
Hernando, MS

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 2:28 PM, 815TL <lawrenceaw(at)corning.com (lawrenceaw(at)corning.com)> wrote:
[quote] --> Kitfox-List message posted by: "815TL" <lawrenceaw(at)corning.com (lawrenceaw(at)corning.com)>

Andrew,
815TL, Kitfox II, Rotax 582-C

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=230008#230008

===========
st" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
===========
MS -
k">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
e -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
t="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Will any company insure a student/Kitfox? Reply with quote

At 12:28 PM 2/12/2009, you wrote:
Quote:
I checked again today with two companies, and both told me I had
insufficient time in type. How the heck do they expect you to get
time in type, unless you fly uninsured. It is almost like they
exect you to fly the first few hundered hours with no insurance. If
that is what it takes, fine, but I would feel better with a little coverage.

Andrew,
A couple of things come to mind. First, the instructor will
be pilot-in-command. You might then fall under his liability
insurance, or you might be able to name him as an insured party under
your insurance. Then you fly with the instructor, logging PIC time as
well. Before you're ready to solo you will have sufficient time in
type to get your own insurance.
Also, who did you try to get insurance from? I know of
Avemco, Falcon, and AIG.
Guy Buchanan
San Diego, CA
K-IV 1200 / 582-C / Warp / 100% done, thanks mostly to Bob Ducar.

Tom Jones

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Will any company insure a student/Kitfox? Reply with quote

Quote:

Andrew, Falcon is an insurance agency. They will get you quotes from any aviation insurance companies that will cover you. Also ask your instructor and the agency about naming your instructor as insured on your airplane while giving you instruction in it.

There are discounts form various companies for EAA and or AOPA members. Usually worth more than the cost of membership.

Falcon Insurance Agency, Inc
EAA Phone: 1-866-647-4EAA(4322)

Ellensburg, WA
815TL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Will any company insure a student/Kitfox? Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply guys. The 2 I checked with today was Avemco, and Falcon. Avemco downright declined. The lady from Falcon is still checking around, but it does not look good. I have not tried AIG this time around, but I think I tried them a while back without luck.

Maybe if I am lucky, Falcon will come through for me. If not, I will get some hours under me, and hope nothing happens until I am insurable.

Andrew

Av8r3400

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Will any company insure a student/Kitfox? Reply with quote

Have you looked into a personal umbrella policy from your auto or homeowners insurance that would cover you?

I have one that covers my liability needs while flying, among other activities.

Kitfox Model IV-1200 W/912UL & IVO
Kitfox Model IV-1050 W/912UL & Warp
YouTube Videos
Paul A. Franz, P.E.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Will any company insure a student/Kitfox? Reply with quote

On Thu, February 12, 2009 3:15 pm, Av8r3400 wrote:
Quote:

Have you looked into a personal umbrella policy from your auto or homeowners insurance
that would cover you?

I have one that covers my liability needs while flying, among other activities.

That's a particularly good suggestion. I have done that with my home owner's policy
that covers the value of the parts during construction. My home policy is through
State Farm. I got this a long time ago and someone else on the list said State Farm
doesn't do this now.

The suggestion that Guy made about getting the plane insured with the Pilot In Command
being your instructor was certainly a reasonable sounding one. I would think that your
instructor has insurance and I'd think that it would be worth checking that his
liability specifically covers instruction time in your plane. That would cover you
during instruction but you'd still be hanging out there when you solo.

Once you've gotten cleared through solo, you should contact your instructor's
insurance company and give them a written evaluation of your instruction to date and
the limitations for flying while solo that is still under the instructor's supervision
and get that information past the agent to the actual underwriter for consideration.
That should result in getting liability coverage alone at least through complete of
your PPL training.

My experience with the trucking business when there was a coverage problem was to
submit a supervisory plan with me as the co-driver for new hires. They then approved
the insurance coverage subject to my written evaluations for 3 months. At that point
they granted normal coverage. This has to be conveyed to the underwriter for
consideration and they have the authority to make exceptions to general policy.

--
Paul A. Franz
Registration/Aircraft - N14UW/Merlin GT
Engine/Prop - Rotax 914/NSI CAP
Bellevue WA
425.241.1618 Cell

Bellevue WA
425.241.1618 Cell
425.440.9505 Office
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
thesupe(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Will any company insure a student/Kitfox? Reply with quote

You might also try USUA  (US ultralight assn.)  If you are a member C you can get insurance through them.  Jim Chuk  Avid MK IV  Mn

Quote:
Subject: Re: Will any company insure a student/Kitfox?
Date: Thu C 12 Feb 2009 15:05:39 -0800
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "815TL" <lawrenceaw(at)corning.com>

Thanks for the reply guys. The 2 I checked with today was Avemco C and Falcon. Avemco downright declined. The lady from Falcon is still checking around C but it does not look good. I have not tried AIG this time around C but I think I tried them a while back without luck.

Maybe if I am lucky C Falcon will come through for me. If not C I will get some hours under me C and hope nothing happens until I am insurable.

Andrew

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=230026#230026

=====================
_==========

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. See how it works. [quote][b]

rcsfca

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Will any company insure a student/Kitfox? Reply with quote

I found myself in exactly your predicament last spring. I owned the plane, had no time in type, and couldn't get insurance.

My solution was very close to what Guy Buchanan suggested, but with a twist. I went to my instructor's insurance agency and arranged for a complete policy (liability and hull damage) but named my instructor as the only pilot. I was not in the loop except as a student under the direction of my PIC instructor. I also (later) added two fellow Kitfox owners (who are experienced pilots) as named pilots on my policy.

BTW, the insurance carrier is AIG and they had no problems at all with the way the policy was set up. Also of note is that my instructor wanted me to have my own policy on my plane (with him named) and not expect to use his policy to cover my plane or our flying in it.

Best of luck,

Rich Cunningham
Model IV - 1200, 912UL

manceliller(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Will any company insure a student/Kitfox? Reply with quote

Quote:
Subject: Re: Will any company insure a student/Kitfox?
Date: Sat C 14 Feb 2009 20:23:21 -0800
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "rcsfca" <r66rc-matronics(at)yahoo.com>

I found myself in exactly your predicament last spring. I owned the plane C had no time in type C and couldn't get insurance.

My solution was very close to what Guy Buchanan suggested C but with a twist. I went to my instructor's insurance agency and arranged for a complete policy (liability and hull damage) but named my instructor as the only pilot. I was not in the loop except as a student under the direction of my PIC instructor. I also (later) added two fellow Kitfox owners (who are experienced pilots) as named pilots on my policy.

BTW C the insurance carrier is AIG and they had no problems at all with the way the policy was set up. Also of note is that my instructor wanted me to have my own policy on my plane (with him named) and not expect to use his policy to cover my plane or our flying in it.

Best of luck C

Rich Cunningham

i have a model 2 very clean airplane i havent flown her in 2 years C i need someone to help me get current again C im in giddings texas C close to austin tx...........HELP !  manceliller(at)hotmail.com (manceliller(at)hotmail.com)

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=230295#230295

Archive Search & Download C 7-Day Browse C Chat C FAQ C

&gt===
[quote]

i have
Windows Live™: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect. Check it out.
Quote:
[b]

815TL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Will any company insure a student/Kitfox? Reply with quote

Thank you all again. Falcon got back to me, and they found an underwriter that is willing to cover as soon as I have 10 hours of dual, and 10 take offs and landings. Not as bad as I thought at $950 for the year. I am still going to ask around at some of the suggestions you all have made, to see if I can get a better deal.

Andrew

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: