Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

701 root rear rib and rear spar channel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brothapig(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: 701 root rear rib and rear spar channel Reply with quote

I am having a bit of a problem fitting the rear root rib for the wing (7V4-2) into the rear root spar channel (7V6-1). I cannot get the channel to be straight with the rest of the channels if I try to fit the rib with the channel. After looking at the drawings C it appears that either I am missing something C or something else went wrong that I don't know about yet.

The rear root rib (7V4-2) C per the drawings C is supposed to be 700mm long. The rear channel corner is supposed to be 715mm from the spar web. BUT C the channel has a 20mm flange facing the spar. So it appear that the rear rib should fit inside of the channel. BUT C the "Section A-A" detail on page 7-V-6 shows that the rib should not fit inside of the channel. Do I need to trim the rear rib to fit? I didn't see that step in the assembly guide. By the way C I am scratch building the wings.

I have attached some pictures to try to help explain my situation. I hope I've done a good enough job; if not let me know and I'll try again. Please note in the pictures that the rear channel in my hand is not straight with the rest of the channels C even though it appears the rear rib and channel are positioned correctly with respect to one another.

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

DSCN1434.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.3 KB
 Viewed:  9369 Time(s)

DSCN1434.jpg

DSCN1435.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.25 KB
 Viewed:  9369 Time(s)

DSCN1435.jpg

NYTerminat(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: 701 root rear rib and rear spar channel Reply with quote

Hi,
You attach the 7V4-2 with a piece of 7V6-3 angle. See the section F-F and A-A on dwg 7V-6 hope it helps

Bob Spudis
N701ZX CH701/912S

In a message dated 2/28/2009 11:05:10 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, brothapig(at)hotmail.com writes:
Quote:

I am having a bit of a problem fitting the rear root rib for the wing (7V4-2) into the rear root spar channel (7V6-1). I cannot get the channel to be straight with the rest of the channels if I try to fit the rib with the channel. After looking at the drawings, it appears that either I am missing something, or something else went wrong that I don't know about yet.

The rear root rib (7V4-2), per the drawings, is supposed to be 700mm long. The rear channel corner is supposed to be 715mm from the spar web. BUT, the channel has a 20mm flange facing the spar. So it appear that the rear rib should fit inside of the channel. BUT, the "Section A-A" detail on page 7-V-6 shows that the rib should not fit inside of the channel. Do I need to trim the rear rib to fit? I didn't see that step in the assembly guide. By the way, I am scratch building the wings.

I have attached some pictures to try to help explain my situation. I hope I've done a good enough job; if not let me know and I'll try again. Please note in the pictures that the rear channel in my hand is not straight with the rest of the channels, even though it appears the rear rib and channel are positioned correctly with respect to one another.=

A Good Credit Score is 7001267884/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62"> See yours in just 2 easy steps!
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

CDNCH701

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 701 root rear rib and rear spar channel Reply with quote

What you have to do is answer one question first! Are you building the wing first or the fuselage first? If the wing... then use the Plywood channel positioning template template as per the drawings to set 7V6-1 channel the proper distance to the spar and rib #1...

If you have built the fuselage first then you have to make the wing pick-up template on 7F15 to set this distance... this is the actual measurement taken off of the fuselage...

So there you are... the question is WHICH one are you building first? Question Embarassed

Ron

NYTerminat(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: 701 root rear rib and rear spar channel Reply with quote

Don't forget the 7V4-3 doubler that goes with it
Bob Spudis

Hi,
Quote:
You attach the 7V4-2 with a piece of 7V6-3 angle. See the section F-F and A-A on dwg 7V-6 hope it helps

Bob Spudis
N701ZX CH701/912S

A Good Credit Score is 7001267884/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62"> See yours in just 2 easy steps!
[quote][b]

brothapig(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: 701 root rear rib and rear spar channel Reply with quote

Appreciate all of the responses, but not quite what I was looking for.
I guess my question comes down to, does the rear rib fit inside of the channel? The way my wing is now, it would have to fit inside of the channel to make the channel come out straight. However, the drawings show that it should not fit inside of the channel (specifically section A-A on 7-V-6).

BTW, building the wings first, so I will build the wings per plans, and fit the fusalage to the wing.

Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 12:12:15 -0500
Subject: Re: 701 root rear rib and rear spar channel
To: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com

Don't forget the 7V4-3 doubler that goes with
it

Bob Spudis

Hi,
You attach the 7V4-2 with a piece of 7V6-3 angle. See the section F-F and
A-A on dwg 7V-6 hope it helps

Bob Spudis

N701ZX CH701/912S

CDNCH701

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 701 root rear rib and rear spar channel Reply with quote

Ryan
Assemble as per the drawings if building the wing first... the root rib does not fit inside the channel! The channel will not line up straight with the other channels because that measurement depends on the fuselage attachment point if building the fuselage first.

If you built the wings first... then you have make a template to set the wing pickup points on the fuselage when assembling the fuselage... the actual measurement of of the root wing as set by the 7V6 template you will have to make!!!
I guess my question comes down to, does the rear rib fit inside of the channel? The way my wing is now, it would have to fit inside of the channel to make the channel come out straight. However, the drawings show that it should not fit inside of the channel (specifically section A-A on 7-V-6).

BTW, building the wings first, so I will build the wings per plans, and fit the fusalage to the wing.

Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 12:12:15 -0500
Subject: Re: 701 root rear rib and rear spar channel
To: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com

Don't forget the 7V4-3 doubler that goes with
it

Bob Spudis

Hi,
You attach the 7V4-2 with a piece of 7V6-3 angle. See the section F-F and
A-A on dwg 7V-6 hope it helps

Bob Spudis

N701ZX CH701/912S

dougsnash

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: 701 root rear rib and rear spar channel Reply with quote

Ryan, I seem to remember an instruction someplace in the building manual that tells you to trim the flanges to make it fit. The rib flange does not go into the rear channel. The critical measurement is the spacing between the front and rear spars.

Doug MacDonald
CH-701 Scratch Builder
NW Ontario, Canada
90/90 to go

Do Not Archive
--- On Sat, 2/28/09, Ryan Vechinski <brothapig(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

Quote:
Subject: RE: 701 root rear rib and rear spar channel
To: "zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com" <zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Saturday, February 28, 2009, 11:55 AM

<brothapig(at)hotmail.com>

Appreciate all of the responses, but not quite what I was
looking for.
I guess my question comes down to, does the rear rib fit
inside of the channel? The way my wing is now, it would
have to fit inside of the channel to make the channel come
out straight. However, the drawings show that it should not
fit inside of the channel (specifically section A-A on
7-V-6).

BTW, building the wings first, so I will build the wings
per plans, and fit the fusalage to the wing.

NYTerminat(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: 701 root rear rib and rear spar channel Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, that is what I did, make sure that there is a radius at the corner where you trimmed the flange to the web.

Bob Spudis

In a message dated 2/28/2009 1:16:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, dougsnash(at)yahoo.com writes:
Quote:

Ryan, I seem to remember an instruction someplace in the building manual that tells you to trim the flanges to make it fit. The rib flange does not go into the rear channel. The critical measurement is the spacing between the front and rear spars.

Doug MacDonald
CH-701 Scratch Builder
NW Ontario, Canada
90/90 to go

[quote][b]

maxjohansson(at)elisanet.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: 701 root rear rib and rear spar channel Reply with quote

Ryan

The important thing is to get the rear channel (including its thick
doubler) to fit
behind ( i.e. rearwards ) the fuselage wing attachment lug in case you
have the
fuselage already built. Otherwise just try to get the rear channels
continuously straight
to faciliate your later wing skin riveting. Your pictures are in fact
very similar to
the situation I had with my starboard wing. My solution was to cut 2 mm off
the end of the rib to be able to adjust the rear channel correctly.

best regards
Max

Quote:

Appreciate all of the responses, but not quite what I was looking for.

CDNCH701

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 701 root rear rib and rear spar channel Reply with quote

Ryan

Don't cut the rib to fit!

Read 7F17... the wing attachment points. The rear attachment point 7F15-1SP overlaps on the front side of 7V4-3!

The front attachment fits inside the "U" bracket welded on 7F18-1SP!

You have to set the distance between the wing pickup points on both the wing and fuselage so that they match.

I reviewed Jon Croke's Wing building DVD and it show that the 7V6-1 rear channel DOES not line up straight with the other 7V6-2SP rear channels... because it depends on the wing pickup points. It can't be straight.

Now as I said before... If you are building the wing first, then use your plywood channel positioning template shown on 7V6 to set the distance from the main spar to the rear channel. That distance is critical to both the wing and fuselage... if your root rib is to long for this to just clear the rear channel, then there must be an error somewhere in your measurements Exclamation

bryanekholm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 701 root rear rib and rear spar channel Reply with quote

I built my wings first and then used a template to set the front attach point on the cabin frame. Attached is a picture that somewhat shows that I kept the rear spar at the root in line with the rest of the rear spar pieces. I'm pretty sure that I simply trimmed the trailing edge of the root rib so it would line up nicely outside of the rear spar piece. Hope this helps.

Bryan Ekholm

wing strucure.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.31 KB
 Viewed:  9335 Time(s)

wing strucure.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: