Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nanchang Generator problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjaviator(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Nanchang Generator problem Reply with quote

Hi all.
As generator theory is not my strong point I shall put forward the following problem in the hope someon can point me in the right direction (having read and digested the traffic early this week!)

We are preparing to put a factory 'overhauled' Nanchang back in the air after it has sat on the airfield here for 2 1/2 years. All works perfectly except the generator...
When the engine was first run it appeared to be fine. 2nd run and the generator light appeared to acting correctly at low RPM (on and off at (at)1000 RPM, but the ammeter was jumping all over the place. At higher RPMs the ammeter was jumping all over the place and the light was going on and off as it jumped around from load to unload.
After this run we sorted out a few other minor problems and checked the generator brushes and springs. All appears to be good with new brushes fitted, although one seemed a bit stiff in the housing.
After freeing it up we took it out and ran it again with the result that the generator light now stays on and steady at all RPMs.

Someone suggested that the generator might need flashing after having sat around for a long period of time, but I don't believe that this would be the case given that it was kind of operating to start with.
Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated

Regards, Jay
New Zeland

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
dhanshew(at)cinci.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Nanchang Generator problem Reply with quote

Flash it.
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

talew(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Nanchang Generator problem Reply with quote

cjaviator(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Nanchang Generator Problem Reply with quote

OK... if flashing the field is the answer, how does one go about it on the Nanchang?
I have done a conventional western generator/regualtor before by following the procedure in the A&P manuals but would like to know how to do the Nanchang!

Cheers, Jay
[quote][b]

yakplt(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Nanchang Generator Problem Reply with quote

I have never worked on a CJ in my life. I do not know beans about it.

There is nothing wrong with flashing your generator... this is usually done by applying a quick burst of battery voltage to the brushes (+ and - connections) with the generator spinning. Plus to plus mind you.

However, if it uses a generator, it has to have a cut out relay. Just a fact of generator design. Before you go nuts on this thing, check the voltage AT THE GENERATOR when it is running. Do not depend on "indicator lights" to determine whether a generator is putting out power, use a meter.

Rule of thumb about something that was sorta working and then stopped dead.  Go to where the last human being l;aid their hands on it and look for problems there. As in... you messed with the brushes, you noticed something not quite right, you fixed it... now it does not work at all.   If a commutator brush is not touching the commutator properly.... the generator will go dead.

Further, your problem sounds exactly like a problem with brushes and springs.  I mean your FIRST problem.

At the risk of getting into another "discussion"... this does not sound like a generator that needs a flash.... but there are many ways to approach a problem and never forget I have way too much time on my hands.

Oh... by the way... a flash may indeed arc over to a poorly seated brush and voila, it starts working. Or it may not. If flashing it does not work... look at those brushes again. If that does not work.... read my last email.

Mark Bitterlich
N50YK

To: yak list <yak-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2009 2:55:53 PM
Subject: Nanchang Generator Problem

OK... if flashing the field is the answer, how does one go about it on the Nanchang?
I have done a conventional western generator/regualtor before by following the procedure in the A&P manuals but would like to know how to do the Nanchang!

Cheers, Jay
[quote][b][b]

dhanshew(at)cinci.rr.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Nanchang Generator Problem Reply with quote

Do it the same.
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: