Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

S-Tec 30 problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
henryroden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: S-Tec 30 problem Reply with quote

I have a Lancair with an S-Tec 30 auto pilot. It can be follow either a GNS 530 (with GPSS), or a SL 30. Initially it worked OK but has now developed a problem in the altitude hold mode.
Most times it will drop out of altitude after 1-15 minutes and occasionally it will drop out as soon as it is engaged. It will not do this on the ground, which makes it hard to diagnose what is wrong. I do not have a schematic for this unit, only the install manual.
Two questions.
Can some one point me to a site for the manual?
Has anyone seen this kind of response from an S-Tec?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
skywagon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: S-Tec 30 problem Reply with quote

A couple of thoughts on your S-Tec A/P......

On your aircraft, I do not know where the pitch sensing static pressure ports are installed, however check them carefully for any kind of spider web, tiny wasp nest, etc. in the port hole. On Cessna's the pitch static ports (2) are aft on the fuselage sides. Check inside to make sure the plastic tubing to the ports are routed ok and not pinched or kinked. Cargo stuffed in the rear can shift and kink these lines or break them. You probably have 2 static sensing ports, one on each side for the pitch control computer.

If your aircraft did a mild porpoise routine in pitch, I would mention to check control cable tensions, but, your model may not use cables. The pitch controller also uses clutches in the system, and maybe those have developed a problem.

S-Tec at one time had a web link to their library of very good field notes mostly written by their own staff. I assume these are still linked to their web even though they were bought out by other firms. Their support staff was also quite good and would answer email. I am not familiar with the -30, however, I have heard it is a very nice A/P. I have used their -55 with GPSS for years and it is a winner. Holds altitude to better than 20 ft.

If you have to have service performed, be sure to get references for a shop that "really" knows S-Tec products.....
Let us know what you discover....
David
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: S-Tec 30 problem Reply with quote

I have a 'sorta-kinda' similar setup in my RV6A. The S-Tec 30 is connected to my GX60 through the S-Tec GPSS box which switches between the GX60 and my Century HSI.

During my ground troubleshooting (I haven't tried it at altitude yet), I found a wire that had broken off right behind the solder connection - in the altitude control box. I'm not getting a clean signal from my HSI yet - that's the reasoning behind not trying it so far.

How is your SL30 controlling the S-Tec 30?
Is the autopilot dropping off-line or just the altitude hold part (blue-light)?
If I recall correctly, the system holds altitude by sensing barometric pressure - this implies that if you go through a pressure change area, your altitude should be controlled to the original pressure altitude.

I have the install manuals (scanned) and the charts (some scanned) that came with my system (two mergers ago). I don't know what part might help - but I'm willing to try.

Ralph
RV6A N822AR (at) N06 5.9 hrs

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: