Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone with a KR22 Marker Beacon pinout?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radioflyer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Anyone with a KR22 Marker Beacon pinout? Reply with quote

Can anyone point me to some KR-22 marker beacon receiver pinout info? I think I can figure out the antenna, power and audio out pins, but I would appreciate some confirmation before proceeding, just to make sure I get the grounds correct.

--Jose

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Anyone with a KR22 Marker Beacon pinout? Reply with quote

At 09:40 AM 3/16/2009, you wrote:
Quote:

Can anyone point me to some KR-22 marker beacon receiver pinout
info? I think I can figure out the antenna, power and audio out
pins, but I would appreciate some confirmation before proceeding,
just to make sure I get the grounds correct.

--Jose

Sorry, that's not in my library of
radio wiring information
Bob . . .

----------------------------------------)
( . . . a long habit of not thinking )
( a thing wrong, gives it a superficial )
( appearance of being right . . . )
( )
( -Thomas Paine 1776- )
----------------------------------------

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Anyone with a KR22 Marker Beacon pinout? Reply with quote

Good Morning Bob and Jose,

For flight within the USA, unless Jose wants the marker beacon for reasons of nostalgia, I would suggest not installing it in the aircraft.

Marker beacons are being phased out. I know of no approach in the US National Airspace System that requires the use of a marker beacon.

I suppose it is possible that some of the other countries around the planet Earth have different rules. Any idea where Jose is operating?

Happy Skies

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
628 West 86th Street
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8502
Stearman N3977A
Brookeridge Air Park LL22
In a message dated 3/18/2009 7:11:57 A.M. Central Daylight Time, nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com writes:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com>

At 09:40 AM 3/16/2009, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Radioflyer" <skyeyecorp(at)airpost.net>

Can anyone point me to some KR-22 marker beacon receiver pinout
info? I think I can figure out the antenna, power and audio out
pins, but I would appreciate some confirmation before proceeding,
just to make sure I get the grounds correct.

--Jose

Sorry, that's not in my library of
radio wiring information
  Bob . . .

----------------------------------------)
( . . . a long habit of not thinking )
( a thing wrong, gives it a superficial )
( appearance of being right . . . )
  (   )
( -Thomas Paine 1776- )
= Use lities y - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS =========================< - List Contribution Web Site ;   =========================

Great Deals on Dell 15" Laptops - Starting at $479
[quote][b]

Radioflyer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone with a KR22 Marker Beacon pinout? Reply with quote

Hi All,
I'm in the process of cleaning up the panel on my airplane. The panel is IFR equipped and has a marker beacon receiver. I'm not yet IFR rated, but I didn't want to diminish my IFR panel. I was not aware that the marker beacon receiver was no longer part of the IFR procedures here in the US. The plane only flies in the US. So what's the story...Should I just remove the unit?
--Jose

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Anyone with a KR22 Marker Beacon pinout? Reply with quote

Good Evening Jose,

That is undoubtedly a controversial discussion.

My inclination is to eliminate the marker beacon receiver, though, just like many other folks, I like the friendly tones of the marker beacons when they are being flown over. It is comforting and familiar.

Up until a few years ago, the marker beacon was a required portion of the ILS system. That is no longer the case. The marker beacon is NOT a required portion of the ILS and the minima does not change if you are or are not equipped with such a receiver.

To my knowledge, there is only one non precision approach in the USA that has a step down fix based on crossing a marker. That is the circling approach from the (LOC-D, KSEE) localizer approach at Gillespie Field, San Diego, CA. The last time I checked, that marker was out of service awaiting parts for a repair. If you are equipped with an IFR approved GPS and a current datacard, you can check passing over the marker beacon utilizing the GPS and use the minima associated with that marker.

I would save the space, power, weight, and cost by leaving the marker beacon off the airplane.

Does anyone on the list know of any other approach where any lower minima can be flown by having a marker beacon available?

Happy Skies

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
628 West 86th Street
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8502
Stearman N3977A
In a message dated 3/18/2009 9:38:35 P.M. Central Daylight Time, skyeyecorp(at)airpost.net writes:
Quote:
Hi All,
I'm in the process of cleaning up the panel on my airplane. The panel is IFR equipped and has a marker beacon receiver. I'm not yet IFR rated, but I didn't want to diminish my IFR panel. I was not aware that the marker beacon receiver was no longer part of the IFR procedures here in the US. The plane only flies in the US. So what's the story...Should I just remove the unit?
--Jose

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Anyone with a KR22 Marker Beacon pinout? Reply with quote

Good Evening Once Again Jose,

On reading my last post to you, I think I did not state the case very well.

If you do not have an IFR GPS approved for at least enroute and terminal purposes, there may be a few more non precision approaches where a marker beacon may allow a lower minima.

As I said before, the normal ILS no longer requires a marker beacon. There may be such a requirement for some Category II and III approaches and there are a few non precision approaches where a marker beacon will allow a step down with lower minima.

The point I wish to make is that at those very few places where the marker beacon does provide for a step down, the GPS can be used in lieu of the marker beacon. Those spots are few and far between. The beacons are being removed as other fixes are found for those step down fixes.

Make any sense at all?

Happy Skies

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
628 West 86th Street
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8502
Stearman N3977A
In a message dated 3/18/2009 10:25:28 P.M. Central Daylight Time, BobsV35B(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
Good Evening Jose,

That is undoubtedly a controversial discussion.

My inclination is to eliminate the marker beacon receiver, though, just like many other folks, I like the friendly tones of the marker beacons when they are being flown over. It is comforting and familiar.

Up until a few years ago, the marker beacon was a required portion of the ILS system. That is no longer the case. The marker beacon is NOT a required portion of the ILS and the minima does not change if you are or are not equipped with such a receiver.

To my knowledge, there is only one non precision approach in the USA that has a step down fix based on crossing a marker. That is the circling approach from the (LOC-D, KSEE) localizer approach at Gillespie Field, San Diego, CA. The last time I checked, that marker was out of service awaiting parts for a repair. If you are equipped with an IFR approved GPS and a current datacard, you can check passing over the marker beacon utilizing the GPS and use the minima associated with that marker.

I would save the space, power, weight, and cost by leaving the marker beacon off the airplane.

Does anyone on the list know of any other approach where any lower minima can be flown by having a marker beacon available?

Happy Skies

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
628 West 86th Street
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8502
Stearman N3977A
In a message dated 3/18/2009 9:38:35 P.M. Central Daylight Time, skyeyecorp(at)airpost.net writes:
Quote:
Hi All,
--Jose

Quote:

st href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: