Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hand Propping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barryhancock

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Hand Propping Reply with quote

Guys,

First, a disclaimer. Hand propping is inherently dangerous and ANY
attempt to start the engine in this manner could kill you. The following
is not an endorsement or recommendation of any procedure. It is merely an
observation after seeing many techniques tried.

Walt is right...and I've seen it happen. No air but a perfect alignment
for ignition and the engine springs to life when the start button is
pushed. With just the wrong timing your hands (or worse) can be good
material for the latest Ginsu commercial.

Another technique that seems to lower the risk (again, do not attempt this
at home) is to get the plane set up and stand clear of the prop while the
start button is pushed. Once the "Bzzzzzzzzz" of the exciter is heard and
the prop still dead, then walk up to it and give it a whirl.

I've done the other way (the Russian Roulette technique) and just been
plain lucky to not get hurt. Seeing the thing fire without air convinced
me to never do it the old way again...and count my blessings that I didn't
get a call from Ginsu.
--
Barry Hancock
Worldwide Warbirds, Inc.
office (909) 606-4444
cell (949) 300-5510
www.worldwidewarbirds.com

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

feyerabm(at)web.de

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Hand Propping Reply with quote

Here´s a clip of Jurgy´s Sukhoi getting hand/rope propped...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azi0VP8IFg0

I´d think that when wearing proper gloves and paying attention not to loop the rope around your hand etc. it looks safer to me than by hand propping directly at the prop...
I´ve got no experience hand propping a radial engine though and I´m already intimidated enough to pay extreme caution hand propping a Lycoming or similar engines....

just my 2 (Euro)cents,
Markus
Quote:
-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: "Barry Hancock" <bhancock(at)worldwidewarbirds.com>
Gesendet: 23.03.09 15:53:28
An: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Betreff: Hand Propping

Quote:

Guys,

First, a disclaimer. Hand propping is inherently dangerous and ANY
attempt to start the engine in this manner could kill you. The following
is not an endorsement or recommendation of any procedure. It is merely an
observation after seeing many techniques tried.

Walt is right...and I've seen it happen. No air but a perfect alignment
for ignition and the engine springs to life when the start button is
pushed. With just the wrong timing your hands (or worse) can be good
material for the latest Ginsu commercial.

Another technique that seems to lower the risk (again, do not attempt this
at home) is to get the plane set up and stand clear of the prop while the
start button is pushed. Once the "Bzzzzzzzzz" of the exciter is heard and
the prop still dead, then walk up to it and give it a whirl.

I've done the other way (the Russian Roulette technique) and just been
plain lucky to not get hurt. Seeing the thing fire without air convinced
me to never do it the old way again...and count my blessings that I didn't
get a call from Ginsu.

--
Barry Hancock
Worldwide Warbirds, Inc.
office (909) 606-4444
cell (949) 300-5510

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pilko2(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Hand Propping Reply with quote

Jurgis normally runs a 4 blade prop not a three as illustrated here.

No matter the CAUTION note to hand propping still applies !

--

Dala-Jarna03_029.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  607.35 KB
 Viewed:  7322 Time(s)

Dala-Jarna03_029.jpg

feyerabm(at)web.de

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Hand Propping Reply with quote

I didn´t mean to say that one doesn´t have to be cautious, using a rope ! However, I would fell a little more comfortable being a bit further away from a 360/400hp shredder...

He used to run a 4 blade prop some time ago, but the more recent pics show a 3 blade again. And the plane on your picture shows his SU-26, whereas the one in the clip is was LY-LJK, his SU-31...

Quote:
-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: "pilko2" <pilko2(at)btinternet.com>
Gesendet: 23.03.09 17:24:47
An: <yak-list(at)matronics.com>
Betreff: RE: Hand Propping

[quote] Jurgis normally runs a 4 blade prop not a three as illustrated here.

No matter the CAUTION note to hand propping still applies !

--

lie.buyse(at)telenet.be

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Hand Propping Reply with quote

In addition, I would like to pass following story. When I and a friend of
mine who owned a Yak 52 for a couple of weeks wanted to fly the airplane
back from the maintenance facility, he was not able to restart the engine
after taxiing to the fuel station for refueling. After several attempts
there was no pressure left to move the prop. Went back to the hangar and
asked the russian engineer for an air bottle. He smiled and said he didn't
need air to start the M14P. ?!?!? With me (almost no yak experience at that
time) in the backseat he primed the cylinders quite a bit again, pulled the
blades through, carefully put a blade in the two-o-clock position, jumped
in the front seat again, primed the carb (I think) and when doing that, the
engine suddenly started. No pop. No hiss. Only another big smile from the
front seat.
Changed pilots, waited for some airpressure for safe taxiing and off we
went. Sadly, we never saw this man back to ask how he exactly did it.
As you could expect I did some research afterwards and found that the
excellent starting of this engine is due to the shower of sparks ignition
which ignites the mixture some degrees AFTER TDC. If you look at the angle
between the two points of the rotor and compare it to the fixed pre-ignition
timing you might guess that sparking starts at +- 5° and ends at 20° after
TDC. I've been told that this timing is very important for smooth and
predictable engine starting.
With this knowledge in mind I think you can safely handprop this engine,
particularly because there is absolutely no chance of a kickback if you keep
off the mag switch.
I hope I will never have to handprop, but in case there is no choice I would
do it as follows :
(First of all : good briefing with the guy on the start knob with emphasis
on NOT NOT NOT touching the mag switch until well clear of the prop).

1) place wheelchocks
2) close the main air valve and be sure there is absolutely no pressure left
to feed the start valve (i.e.activating
brakes or flaps).
3) pull the blades (normal priming procedures) and try to position a piston
just after TDC. By some way this
must be possible as described above, but maybe only for russians Smile
4) the pilot advises when ready to push the start button. You keep well
behind the prop. So he pushes the knob and
when lucky, the engine will start. If not, he keeps pushing to activate
the shower-of-sparks. Before putting
your hand(s) on the prop blade, be aware that the point of the rotor
might be a fraction of a milimeter away
from the contact point in the distributor. So if an explosive mixture is
"waiting" in the cylinder, even a light touch
of a finger might ignite this mixture and start the engine. This means
that you might experience no resistance at
all and maybe falling into the prop travel. But most important : the
most dangerous thing - kickback - won't happen
5) having all this in mind : give it a whirl
6) if the engine fires the pilot still keeps pushing the start knob until
you are at the wingtip. Then and ONLY then
he flips the mag switch!

After looking the youtube movie on handpropping, I think I'd prefer the rope
technique Smile
Having a flat battery I would never ever imagine handpropping!!!

Any comment?
Grtz,

L. Buyse
Yak 52 RA-1428K

---

barryhancock

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Propping Reply with quote

I think the rope idea is brilliant. Also, you see a lot of guys standing in front of the prop to hand prop it. Behind the prop would seem to be safer.

All that being said....a spare air bottle is the optimal solution. With a little time you can actually hard plumb a spare bottle into your system. More useable ballast.... Cool

Barry

Oh, and Yurgis is one of the few guys who doesn't conform to the "there are no old, bold pilots" addage. That guy is amazing... He stopped into my hangar a few years ago and left me a signed photo of him inverted with the vertical of his Su26 about a foot off the water on a river. He's crazy...good, but crazy.

yakplt(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Hand Propping Reply with quote

Just to stir the pot.

I hand-prop the engine differently than most anyone else. I do not stand in front of the prop actually facing it on anything other than maybe a J-3 Cub. Instead, I pull the prop around until I can grab the blade standing sideways to the aircraft. I reach down, turn my hand towards the back of the aircraft, grabbing the end of the prop blade, with the blade at about the 7 O'Clock position for an M-14, and about 5 O'Clock for anything that spins the other way, and then I move my whole body back while pulling the blade UP. This means that my natural motion is AWAY from the aircraft. I can also use my whole body to LIFT the prop up. Be aware though, I am big... 6'6" plus and well over 280 pounds. (smile). However, I have used this method to start 300+ HP IO-540's when no one else could. I did not figure this method out. I saw a movie of a guy doing it in the 1940's. Worked for him. Works for me. But it is not for everyone.

I take exception to ropes. Smile Ropes have a habit of getting caught up in things. Seems safe enough but I just can see too many things going wrong with a rope. In WW-II a rope and a prop device was used to pull the engines through, but never for starting that I know of. Something goes wrong with a rope, and it happens to get caught up in a whirling prop ... man oh man, LOOK OUT. Ropes have been around a long time. So have engines that need to be propped. If it has not been done before now, there probably is a reason why not. But, wheels always need to be re-invented and I am guilty of doing exactly that all the time.

You want to try it.. have at it. Bottom line... people who have propped engines for years tend to develop their own methods... what works for me, probably won't work for everyone else.

The issue discussed of an engine starting just by pushing the start switch is very apt and correct. It would be smart to push that button once before anyone lays a hand on the prop... and excuse me for not mentioning it explicitly.

Propping an unknown engine without any prior experience is just asking for it.   That is exactly how I ended up with my spare YAK-50. Guy did exactl;y that (with no prior YAK experience) when the thing ran out of air and it ended up crashing into a hangar. Bad for him, good for me.

Mark Bitterlich

To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:55:48 AM
Subject: Re: Hand Propping

--> Yak-List message posted by: "barryhancock" <bhancock(at)worldwidewarbirds.com (bhancock(at)worldwidewarbirds.com)>

I think the rope idea is brilliant. Also, you see a lot of guys standing in front of the prop to hand prop it. Behind the prop would seem to be safer.

All that being said....a spare air bottle is the optimal solution. With a little time you can actually hard plumb a spare bottle into your system. More useable ballast.... Cool

Barry

Oh, and Yurgis is one of the few guys who doesn't conform to the "there are no old, bold pilots" addage. That guy is amazing... He stopped into my hangar a few years ago and left me a signed photo of him inverted with the vertical of his Su26 about a foot off the water on a river. He's crazy...good, but crazy.

--------
Barry Hancock
Worldwide Warbirds, Inc.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=235952#235952
[quote][b]

cjpilot710(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Hand Propping Reply with quote

Well I'm out with the B-24 in TPL, TX. Its raining out side, vis is down to 1 1/2. Its getting better. At least the wind has dropped below 30kts.

I have prop M-14 and HS6A a bunch of times. A number of "ways" of doing it have already been mentioned here but 2 precautions have not.

One: Footing is very important. Ice is obvious but so would be loose gravel, oil on black top, etc.

Two: Age. Us older guys have to start considering the physiological aspect of our bodies. Old pilots need to be less bolder as we progress on ward. Confused

I prop a gentlemen's Cub the other day, without any thought. But to prop a M14/HS6A takes care and careful thought. BTW as a co-pilot my captain and I once propped a DC-3 engine with a rope and a jeep. We had sheared a starter shaft on the last flight of the day, leaving Freeport.  The skipper had flown C-47 over the Hump. He found a rope and jeep, wrapped the rope around the prop hub several times so that it would not slip, and took off in the jeep. My instructions were to hit the mags to "both" when the rope came clear. Worked like a charm.

There was also a sleeve and bungee method, which if I'm right was a regular alternate way to prop big engines if needed. I bet it would work for us too.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

In a message dated 3/24/2009 1:35:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, yakplt(at)yahoo.com writes:
Quote:
Just to stir the pot.

I hand-prop the engine differently than most anyone else. I do not stand in front of the prop actually facing it on anything other than maybe a J-3 Cub. Instead, I pull the prop around until I can grab the blade standing sideways to the aircraft. I reach down, turn my hand towards the back of the aircraft, grabbing the end of the prop blade, with the blade at about the 7 O'Clock position for an M-14, and about 5 O'Clock for anything that spins the other way, and then I move my whole body back while pulling the blade UP. This means that my natural motion is AWAY from the aircraft. I can also use my whole body to LIFT the prop up. Be aware though, I am big... 6'6" plus and well over 280 pounds. (smile). However, I have used this method to start 300+ HP IO-540's when no one else could. I did not figure this method out. I saw a movie of a guy doing it in the 1940's. Worked for him. Works for me. But it is not for everyone.

I take exception to ropes. Smile Ropes have a habit of getting caught up in things. Seems safe enough but I just can see too many things going wrong with a rope. In WW-II a rope and a prop device was used to pull the engines through, but never for starting that I know of.  Something goes wrong with a rope, and it happens to get caught up in a whirling prop ... man oh man, LOOK OUT. Ropes have been around a long time. So have engines that need to be propped. If it has not been done before now, there probably is a reason why not. But, wheels always need to be re-invented and I am guilty of doing exactly that all the time.

You want to try it.. have at it. Bottom line... people who have propped engines for years tend to develop their own methods... what works for me, probably won't work for everyone else.

The issue discussed of an engine starting just by pushing the start switch is very apt and correct. It would be smart to push that button once before anyone lays a hand on the prop... and excuse me for not mentioning it explicitly.

Propping an unknown engine without any prior experience is just asking for it. That is exactly how I ended up with my spare YAK-50.  Guy did exactl;y that (with no prior YAK experience) when the thing ran out of air and it ended up crashing into a hangar. Bad for him, good for me.

Mark Bitterlich

--> Yak-List message posted by: "barryhancock" <bhancock(at)worldwidewarbirds.com (bhancock(at)worldwidewarbirds.com)>

Barry

--------
Barry Hancock
Worldwide Warbirds, Inc.

Quote:

="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps!
[quote][b]

yakplt(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Hand Propping Reply with quote

Pappy, I believe you. But I gotta tell you, bungees, ropes or ??? Hey, whatever works for you! Rog on the safety issues.

Listen, this guy told me this story and I am wondering if anyone has heard of anything like this.  He claims that he once had a guy pull in front of him and run his engine up to just about full power and the PROP BLAST from the airplane in front started the aircraft he was in behind it!

I have actually seen this method work with two C-130's (called a "buddy start"). I have also been in a C-130 at Wake Island that rolled down the runway on three engines and air-started the forth on take-off.  Made me nervous, (we were at Gross Weight), but hey... it worked. I have even read of this method (buddy start) being used in the early days of jet aircraft! But with something like a Cessna 180 ?? He says he did it.

I wonder if it would actually work on say a YAK-52? I think I'll let someone else test it.. but it certainly sounds good in theory... rocks and flying debris aside that is.

Mark Bitterlich

Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 2:42:08 PM
Subject: Re: Yak-List: Re: Hand Propping

Well I'm out with the B-24 in TPL, TX.  Its raining out side, vis is down to 1 1/2. Its getting better.  At least the wind has dropped below 30kts.

I have prop M-14 and HS6A a bunch of times. A number of "ways" of doing it have already been mentioned here but 2 precautions have not.

One: Footing is very important. Ice is obvious but so would be loose gravel, oil on black top, etc.

Two: Age. Us older guys have to start considering the physiological aspect of our bodies. Old pilots need to be less bolder as we progress on ward. Confused

I prop a gentlemen's Cub the other day, without any thought.  But to prop a M14/HS6A takes care and careful thought. BTW as a co-pilot my captain and I once propped a DC-3 engine with a rope and a jeep. We had sheared a starter shaft on the last flight of the day, leaving Freeport. The skipper had flown C-47 over the Hump. He found a rope and jeep, wrapped the rope around the prop hub several times so that it would not slip, and took off in the jeep. My instructions were to hit the mags to "both" when the rope came clear. Worked like a charm.

There was also a sleeve and bungee method, which if I'm right was a regular alternate way to prop big engines if needed. I bet it would work for us too.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

In a message dated 3/24/2009 1:35:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, yakplt(at)yahoo.com writes:
Quote:
Just to stir the pot.

I hand-prop the engine differently than most anyone else. I do not stand in front of the prop actually facing it on anything other than maybe a J-3 Cub. Instead, I pull the prop around until I can grab the blade standing sideways to the aircraft. I reach down, turn my hand towards the back of the aircraft, grabbing the end of the prop blade, with the blade at about the 7 O'Clock position for an M-14, and about 5 O'Clock for anything that spins the other way, and then I move my whole body back while pulling the blade UP. This means that my natural motion is AWAY from the aircraft. I can also use my whole body to LIFT the prop up.  Be aware though, I am big... 6'6" plus and well over 280 pounds.  (smile). However, I have used this method to start 300+ HP IO-540's when no one else could. I did not figure this method out. I saw a movie of a guy doing it in the 1940's. Worked for him. Works for me. But it is not for everyone.

I take exception to ropes. Smile Ropes have a habit of getting caught up in things. Seems safe enough but I just can see too many things going wrong with a rope. In WW-II a rope and a prop device was used to pull the engines through, but never for starting that I know of. Something goes wrong with a rope, and it happens to get caught up in a whirling prop ... man oh man, LOOK OUT. Ropes have been around a long time. So have engines that need to be propped. If it has not been done before now, there probably is a reason why not. But, wheels always need to be re-invented and I am guilty of doing exactly that all the time.

Propping an unknown engine without any prior experience is just asking for it.   That is exactly how I ended up with my spare YAK-50. Guy did exactl;y that (with no prior YAK experience) when the thing ran out of air and it ended up crashing into a hangar. Bad for him, good for me.

Mark Bitterlich

All that being said....a spare air bottle is the optimal solution.  With a little time you can actually hard plumb a spare bottle into your system. More useable ballast.... Cool

Barry

Oh, and Yurgis is one of the few guys who doesn't conform to the "there are no old, bold pilots" addage. That guy is amazing... He stopped into my hangar a few years ago and left me a signed photo of him inverted with the vertical of his Su26 about a foot off the water on a river. He's crazy..good, but crazy.

--------
Barry Hancock
Worldwide Warbirds, Inc.

Quote:
="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List .matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com ://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

A Good Cre75x1220085203x1201389322/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DMarchfooterNO62" target=_blank rel=nofollow>See yours in just 2 easy steps! <" target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-Lis="http://forums.matronics.com/" target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://for= --> [b]

fish(at)aviation-tech.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Hand Propping Reply with quote

Mark,

When I was in C-130 Flight Engineer school we learned about the buddy start, and yes it is still in the manuals.
I have not run into anyone who has actually done it. But I understand it was common during the Viet Nam Era.
The preferred method for a broken starter, is a taxi start, which is similar to an air start.

All C-130 takeoffs are calculated as three engine takeoffs.
That way if an engine fails you are still able to safely complete the takeoff.
You just hope that you don't loose a second engine during takeoff.

Turban engines create compression differently then Radial engines.
When a turban engine starts turning there is very little compression to deal with.
As rotation increases, compression increases,
Even with a gentle breeze you can see or hear turban engines spinning.

In a radial engine, as soon as you move the prop, compression starts, resisting the turning movement.
How much work does it take for you to move you prop by hand?
Do you think that wind from a small prop, creates that much force?

If you could start a Yak-52 with the buddy system, then my prop would spin on my Yak when parked outside.
We regularly see winds gusting 40-50 MPH, and occasionally going even higher.
I have yet to see my prop (or any other prop) moved by wind force alone.

Laterrrrrr
John Fischer
California City, CA

At 08:27 PM 3/24/2009, you wrote:
[quote]Pappy, I believe you. But I gotta tell you, bungees, ropes or ??? Hey, whatever works for you! Rog on the safety issues.

Listen, this guy told me this story and I am wondering if anyone has heard of anything like this. He claims that he once had a guy pull in front of him and run his engine up to just about full power and the PROP BLAST from the airplane in front started the aircraft he was in behind it!

I have actually seen this method work with two C-130's (called a "buddy start"). I have also been in a C-130 at Wake Island that rolled down the runway on three engines and air-started the forth on take-off. Made me nervous, (we were at Gross Weight), but hey... it worked. I have even read of this method (buddy start) being used in the early days of jet aircraft! But with something like a Cessna 180 ?? He says he did it.

I wonder if it would actually work on say a YAK-52? I think I'll let someone else test it.. but it certainly sounds good in theory... rocks and flying debris aside that is.

Mark Bitterlich

Subject: Re: Re: Hand Propping

Well I'm out with the B-24 in TPL, TX. Its raining out side, vis is down to 1 1/2. Its getting better. At least the wind has dropped below 30kts.

I prop a gentlemen's Cub the other day, without any thought. But to prop a M14/HS6A takes care and careful thought. BTW as a co-pilot my captain and I once propped a DC-3 engine with a rope and a jeep. We had sheared a starter shaft on the last flight of the day, leaving Freeport. The skipper had flown C-47 over the Hump. He found a rope and jeep, wrapped the rope around the prop hub several times so that it would not slip, and took off in the jeep. My instructions were to hit the mags to "both" when the rope came clear. Worked like a charm.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

Just to stir the pot.

Propping an unknown engine without any prior experience is just asking for it. That is exactly how I ended up with my spare YAK-50. Guy did exactl;y that (with no prior YAK experience) when the thing ran out of air and it ended up crashing into a hangar. Bad for him, good for me.

Mark Bitterlich

From:[/b] barryhancock <bhancock(at)worldwidewarbirds.com>
To:[/b] yak-list(at)matronics.com
Sent:[/b] Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:55:48 AM
Subject:[/b] Re: Hand Propping

--> Yak-List message posted by: "barryhancock" < bhancock(at)worldwidewarbirds.com (bhancock(at)worldwidewarbirds.com)>

Barry

--------
Barry Hancock
Worldwide Warbirds, Inc.

Quote:

="
">
.matronics.com/
">
http://forums.matronics.com
://
www.matronics.com/contribution
">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
[/b]

A Good Cre75x1220085203x1201389322/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DMarchfooterNO62" target=_blank rel=nofollow>See yours in just 2 easy steps! <" target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-Lis=" http://forums.matronics.com/" target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://for= -->

[b]

cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Hand Propping Reply with quote

All,

I have made 707 -3 engine takeoffs when I flew with PAA (no pax) to ferry a a/c to maintenance. Accelerate to Vmcg than start adding power on good engines while still able to keep it straight, and rotate at Vr with full takeoff power at that point.

I know that wind milling starts were done on piston jobs because of the number of old timers who did them. Lots of runway needed. Run down the runway with the mags on and the prop out of feather. The prop would start to wind mill, mags kick in - bang- she'd start. It surprisingly didn't take much speed, and engines like PW 1830 were real easy because their compression was spread over 14 cylinders. I'd had never heard of a buddy start on the radials - but - "never" is not a good word.

In Palestine (Texas that is) 700 overcast and 8nm vis.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

In a message dated 3/26/2009 5:00:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, fish(at)aviation-tech.com writes:
Quote:
Mark,

When I was in C-130 Flight Engineer school we learned about the buddy start, and yes it is still in the manuals.
I have not run into anyone who has actually done it. But I understand it was common during the Viet Nam Era.
The preferred method for a broken starter, is a taxi start, which is similar to an air start.

All C-130 takeoffs are calculated as three engine takeoffs.
That way if an engine fails you are still able to safely complete the takeoff.
You just hope that you don't loose a second engine during takeoff.

Turban engines create compression differently then Radial engines.
When a turban engine starts turning there is very little compression to deal with.
As rotation increases, compression increases,
Even with a gentle breeze you can see or hear turban engines spinning.

In a radial engine, as soon as you move the prop, compression starts, resisting the turning movement.
How much work does it take for you to move you prop by hand?
Do you think that wind from a small prop, creates that much force?

If you could start a Yak-52 with the buddy system, then my prop would spin on my Yak when parked outside.
We regularly see winds gusting 40-50 MPH, and occasionally going even higher.
I have yet to see my prop (or any other prop) moved by wind force alone.

Laterrrrrr
John Fischer
California City, CA

At 08:27 PM 3/24/2009, you wrote:
Quote:
Pappy, I believe you.  But I gotta tell you, bungees, ropes or ??? Hey, whatever works for you! Rog on the safety issues.

Listen, this guy told me this story and I am wondering if anyone has heard of anything like this. He claims that he once had a guy pull in front of him and run his engine up to just about full power and the PROP BLAST from the airplane in front started the aircraft he was in behind it!

I have actually seen this method work with two C-130's (called a "buddy start"). I have also been in a C-130 at Wake Island that rolled down the runway on three engines and air-started the forth on take-off. Made me nervous, (we were at Gross Weight), but hey... it worked. I have even read of this method (buddy start) being used in the early days of jet aircraft! But with something like a Cessna 180 ?? He says he did it.

Mark Bitterlich

Subject: Re: Re: Hand Propping

I prop a gentlemen's Cub the other day, without any thought. But to prop a M14/HS6A takes care and careful thought. BTW as a co-pilot my captain and I once propped a DC-3 engine with a rope and a jeep. We had sheared a starter shaft on the last flight of the day, leaving Freeport. The skipper had flown C-47 over the Hump. He found a rope and jeep, wrapped the rope around the prop hub several times so that it would not slip, and took off in the jeep. My instructions were to hit the mags to "both" when the rope came clear. Worked like a charm.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

Just to stir the pot.

Propping an unknown engine without any prior experience is just asking for it. That is exactly how I ended up with my spare YAK-50. Guy did exactl;y that (with no prior YAK experience) when the thing ran out of air and it ended up crashing into a hangar. Bad for him, good for me.

Mark Bitterlich

From:[/b] barryhancock <bhancock(at)worldwidewarbirds.com>
To:[/b] yak-list(at)matronics.com
Sent:[/b] Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:55:48 AM
Subject:[/b] Re: Hand Propping

--> Yak-List message posted by: "barryhancock" < bhancock(at)worldwidewarbirds.com (bhancock(at)worldwidewarbirds.com)>

Barry

--------
Barry Hancock
Worldwide Warbirds, Inc.

Quote:

="
">
.matronics.com/
">
http://forums.matronics.com
://
www.matronics.com/contribution
">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
[/b]

A Good Cre75x1220085203x1201389322/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DMarchfooterNO62" target=_blank rel=nofollow>See yours in just 2 easy steps! <" target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-Lis=" http://forums.matronics.com/" target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://for= -->

="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Great Deals on Dell 15" Laptops - Starting at $479
[quote][b]

mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Hand Propping Reply with quote

Makes sense to me!

Mark

--

smime.p7s
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  smime.p7s
 Filesize:  4.81 KB
 Downloaded:  369 Time(s)

HawkerPilot2015

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Propping Reply with quote

Fish,

I have seen a buddy start...it gets a bit bumpy behind a herk trying to jump start you. We used to "cuff" #3..or was it "4" for that reason...they quit doing it years ago...but it can be done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: