Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you have to have a current chart and AFD for X country

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dana

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Do you have to have a current chart and AFD for X country Reply with quote

At 08:18 AM 3/26/2009, pj.ladd wrote:
Quote:

in the UK it is illegal to fly without an up to date chart. Most people fly with one, not necessarily THAT up to date but i have never heard of anyone being checked.

To the best of my knowledge there is no US regulation requiring a chart to be carried.

Instead we simply have this:
§ 91.103 Preflight action.

Each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with all available information concerning that flight. This information must include—

(a) For a flight under IFR or a flight not in the vicinity of an airport, weather reports and forecasts, fuel requirements, alternatives available if the planned flight cannot be completed, and any known traffic delays of which the pilot in command has been advised by ATC;

(b) For any flight, runway lengths at airports of intended use, and the following takeoff and landing distance information:

(1) For civil aircraft for which an approved Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual containing takeoff and landing distance data is required, the takeoff and landing distance data contained therein; and

(2) For civil aircraft other than those specified in paragraph (b)(1) of this section, other reliable information appropriate to the aircraft, relating to aircraft performance under expected values of airport elevation and runway slope, aircraft gross weight, and wind and temperature.

-Dana
--
Hangover: The Wrath of Grapes. [quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Do you have to have a current chart and AFD for X country Reply with quote

I tried to find the reg, but alas, I failed. Maybe some of the more informed pilots on the Kolb List can pull up this info.

John W was the one who told me about sectionals and GPS's.

He said if your sectional was current, the Jeppesen Data Base in your GPS did not have to be current.

If your GPS was current, you were not required to have a current sectional.

However, don't get ramp checked with only an expired sectional or only an expired Jeppesen Data Base in your GPS, or both.

John W was an excellent source of flying info. He should have been. He lived and worked with it right out of high school, as an Army Aviator, for nearly 40 years to the day he died. I have no reason to disagree with his info.

john h
mkIII

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge there is no US regulation requiring a chart to be carried.

-Dana

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Do you have to have a current chart and AFD for X country Reply with quote

Dana

It would be nice if part 91.103 said up to date chart. What is says is that you need "all available information" which means no matter what all information you may have gathered you are likely to have missed something they could cite you for missing.

I have said this before but If you are a EAA member there is a free flight planning service that is really worth doing. If your not a member it may still be well worth using it. You get the latest charts in knee board format and notams for your route of flight. This is especially useful if you don't have time to order the latest charts before a flight. It can also be found at areoplanner.com

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC
[quote] ---

lucien

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Do you have to have a current chart and AFD for X cou Reply with quote

Hmm... It sounds to me like Dana is right. There's no specific reg that says you must carry charts (except for 91.503, but that applies only to big iron jets and such). There's just the requirement that you get "all available information".

Looks like this can be a De Facto requirement that you have a chart, i.e. you can get busted under 91.103 if there's a violation and they want to pin you with that. But that appears to be it.

I'll be darned... I could have sworn it was a hard/fast requirement.....

LS

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Do you have to have a current chart and AFD for X country Reply with quote

Instead we simply have this:
§ 91.103 Preflight action..

Hi Dana. Thats enough to be going on with. I am sure that we have something similar but the way it actually works is kick the tyres (or tires) and pull the string.

Cheers

Pat
[quote][b]

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Do you have to have a current chart and AFD for X cou Reply with quote

Some instructors erroneously teach (preach) that you must have current sectionals and current AFD in the airplane but it just isn't true.

Dana's quotation from the FARs is correct, of course. However, having a current sectional may or may not satisfy that requirement nor an inspector, because the sectional may not contain all the pertinent information needed for a particular flight. It does not contain NOTAMS for your intended destination or alternates, for example.

I've been ramp checked only once, enroute to southern California from Buffalo in Hays, KS after a night IFR flight. All the FAA inspector wanted to see were the AR(r)OW documents. He was pleasant and easily satisfied. Your experience may vary.

We keep a current local sectional in our airplane and rarely cross its borders. About once a year we update our GPS, sometimes more often.

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: