Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ultrastar hand launch rescue chute installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean Pillaudin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Ultrastar hand launch rescue chute installation Reply with quote

Hi Kolbers,

I read a lot about chute here, don't want to launch again the debat...I know that at the Kolb's begining pilot save their life with hand launched chute.

I have a question regarding the hand launch rescue chute installation on my Kolb Ultrastar. I get a chute from ParaDelta Italia, spec are:

Max weight: 250kilos
Max opened speed: 170 km/h
Weight 5kilos

See the drawing NumberOne.jpg : the chute is on a ventrally position on my thighs, It is fixed to my harness.
The security belt is too long, I do put it on the top near the karabiner (see NumberThree.jpg) ?

The chute must be removable easily, what is the kind of fixation do i use?

Bests Regards

Jean PILLAUDIN

--
Jean

Q' importe le frelon pourvu qu'on ai l'ivresse!
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Jean Pillaudin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Ultrastar hand launch rescue chute installation Reply with quote

Pffff

The pictures!

2009/3/26 Jean PILLAUDIN <jean.pillaudin(at)gmail.com (jean.pillaudin(at)gmail.com)>
Quote:
Hi Kolbers,

I read a lot about chute here, don't want to launch again the debat...I know that at the Kolb's begining pilot save their life with hand launched chute.

I have a question regarding the hand launch rescue chute installation on my Kolb Ultrastar. I get a chute from ParaDelta Italia, spec are:

Max weight: 250kilos
Max opened speed: 170 km/h
Weight 5kilos

See the drawing NumberOne.jpg : the chute is on a ventrally position on my thighs, It is fixed to my harness.
The security belt is too long, I do put it on the top near the karabiner (see NumberThree.jpg) ?

The chute must be removable easily, what is the kind of fixation do i use?

Bests Regards

Jean PILLAUDIN

--
Jean

Quote:

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--
Jean

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

NumberOne.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.58 KB
 Viewed:  15981 Time(s)

NumberOne.JPG

NumberThree.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.44 KB
 Viewed:  15981 Time(s)

NumberThree.JPG

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Ultrastar hand launch rescue chute installation Reply with quote

Jean:

I would use a zig-zag fold of about 10-12" to take up the extra length of the bridal, what you refer to as a security belt. Secure the fold with a couple nylon tie wraps. Then secure the folded section to a tube inside the gap seal. The end of the bridal, I would secure the loop aroung the 2" root tube of the airframe behind your head. That is where I attached my bridal on my Ultrastar.

john h
mkIII

[quote] ---

Titus, Alabama
Jean Pillaudin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Ultrastar hand launch rescue chute installation Reply with quote

Thank's a lot John, I need to understand all of your sentences, i need time. I'll reply if something is not clear in my brain =8;O)

Have a good Week-end.

Jean
2009/3/26 John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)>
[quote] Jean:

I would use a zig-zag fold of about 10-12" to take up the extra length of the bridal, what you refer to as a security belt.  Secure the fold with a couple nylon tie wraps.  Then secure the folded section to a tube inside the gap seal.  The end of the bridal, I would secure the loop aroung the 2" root tube of the airframe behind your head.  That is where I attached my bridal on my Ultrastar.

john h
mkIII

[quote] ---

russ(at)rkiphoto.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Ultrastar hand launch rescue chute installation Reply with quote

Mon cher M. Pillaudin
Mon Francais, c'est affreuse -- but maybe I can  help.
John  Hauck is probably the most experienced Kolb  pilot in  the world -- and I think all he's saying is for you to arrange, by hand,  the bridle (security belt?) in  a "Z" shape, about 10-12 inches long; put a couple nylon tie-wraps on  to hold it in that shape; then secure this to any convenient place on the airframe, inside the gap seal.
Does your chute have a pilot chute? Sounds to me that a chute without one might not deploy properly, or even  break the tie-wraps. That would not be good. C'est vrai! The pilot chutes that have a big spring inside are the best.
Bonne chance,
Russ K
On Mar 27, 2009, at 12:59 PM, Jean PILLAUDIN wrote:
[quote]Thank's a lot John, I need to understand all of your sentences, i need time. I'll reply if something is not clear in my brain =8;O)

Have a good Week-end.

Jean
2009/3/26 John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)>
[quote] Jean:

I would use a zig-zag fold of about 10-12" to take up the extra length of the bridal, what you refer to as a security belt.  Secure the fold with a couple nylon tie wraps.  Then secure the folded section to a tube inside the gap seal.  The end of the bridal, I would secure the loop aroung the 2" root tube of the airframe behind your head.  That is where I attached my bridal on my Ultrastar.

john h
mkIII

[quote] ---

jimh474(at)embarqmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Ultrastar hand launch rescue chute installation Reply with quote

Russ and All;

A pilot chute on a hand deployed parachute is neither needed or required.

When the container holding the parachute is thrown into the slip stream the part of the attaching bridle that is stowed inside the container is deployed opening the container allowing the suspension lines to deploy. Actually the container acts like a pilot chute.

As for breaking the tie wraps, that is no problem what so ever. When the canopy opens the weight of the airplane will definitely break those tie wraps and anything else that is the way, even to include streamline chrome-moly lift struts.

For those that use or plan on using a hand deployed parachute, I would suggest that if you are right handed, I would throw the parachute down and to your left. As you normally have more strength throwing it down than you would trying to toss it up. If you are left handed I would throw it in the opposite direction.

I would also suggest that this procedure be practiced until it becomes second nature. When the time come to have to use it in real time, you won't have time to figure out how to throw it.

No, I don't mean throw the danged parachute, just sit in your plane and go through the motions. May be a good idea every time you fly to rehearse this procedure.

Worth what you paid for it.

Jim Hauck

[quote][b]

Dana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Ultrastar hand launch rescue chute installation Reply with quote

At 08:07 AM 3/28/2009, Jim Hauck wrote:
Quote:

For those that use or plan on using a hand deployed parachute, I would suggest that if you are right handed, I would throw the parachute down and to your left. As you normally have more strength throwing it down than you would trying to toss it up. If you are left handed I would throw it in the opposite direction.

You throw it forehand, across your lap? I would have thought you'd throw it down on the side of the arm you're using.

Quote:
I would also suggest that this procedure be practiced until it becomes second nature. When the time come to have to use it in real time, you won't have time to figure out how to throw it.

No, I don't mean throw the danged parachute, just sit in your plane and go through the motions. May be a good idea every time you fly to rehearse this procedure.

The paraglider and hang glider guys often have "reserve clinics", where you hang from the harness in a gym somewhere and actually throw the parachute, then a rigger repacks it for you.

-Dana
--
Diplomacy: Saying "nice doggy" until you find a rock. [quote][b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Ultrastar hand launch rescue chute installation Reply with quote

I doubt anybody on the Kolb List is using a hand deployed parachute. When I got mine, 1984, ballistic recovery systems were extremely new, and my poor budget would not allow me to have one. It took extra time to get into the parachute harness, was cumbersome getting in and out of the airplane with it on, difficult to get the seat belt and shoulder harness connected, and finally, the weight of the parachute was always on top of my legs. I often dreamed of the ease of getting in and out of an airplane equipped with a ballistic parachute. So much easier to get in, buckle up, and take off. However, my desire to fly was so great, I never complained about the hours that Jim Handbury hand deployed parachute rode in my lap.

Brother Jim is correct. I could best grasp the handle on top of the pack tray with both hands, snatch the deployment bag out of the pack tray, then throw it out, down and to the left, with both hands. I am right handed. A left hander will probably be able to do a better job of tossing out the deployment bag down and to the right.

October 1985, I flew to Florida so Brother Jim could repack my parachute. Before we opened it up, Jim asked me if I had ever practiced deploying it. I had not. He told me to put it on, sit down on the ac unit beside the house, and throw it. I did. Seven days later the parachute saved my life.

john h

[quote] ----- You throw it forehand, across your lap? I would have thought you'd throw it down on the side of the arm you're using.
-Dana

[b]

Titus, Alabama
jimh474(at)embarqmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Ultrastar hand launch rescue chute installation Reply with quote

Dana and All;

Yes, you throw it across your body and down.

Jim Hauck
[quote][b]

by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Ultrastar hand launch rescue chute installation Reply with quote

[b]Dana and All;[/b]

[b]Yes, you throw it across your body and down.[/b]

[b]Jim Hauck[/b]
Quote:

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am no expert,,,,,   never been there,,,, never done that,,,,,   but,,,,,,   from a sitting position,  across your body and down is the direction “I” would have the most throwing power,,,,  that said,,,,,,, I would route the attaching hardware  so that it will cause the least upset of the plane  and occupants when the chute opens.  I am sure that if used it would be upsetting enough,,,,  but if because of the routing of the attachment bridle  you did an extra 1 ½  flip with 2 ½ twist,,,   don’t get me wrong, that  may still be better than impact at 300 foot per sec…  but a nice smooth opening in as straight and level mode as possible,,,   would be preferable.   But then again who is to say what attitude you may be in at the time.

Boyd Young
My .02  worth.

[quote][b]

flykolb(at)pa.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Ultrastar hand launch rescue chute installation Reply with quote

I too had the dubious opportunity of deploying a Handbury (hand deployed) when I failed a wing on the UltraStar. At the speed I was traveling, throwing it one way or the other would have been like attempting to spit into a hurricane. All I recall is that when I had opened the velcro flap on the parachute – it was gone and out of sight in an instant. I am very glad that I didn’t “throw it” into any of the structure where it would have gotten caught in something. Totally agree - the ballistic is preferable.

Dennis

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of John Hauck
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2009 9:50 AM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Ultrastar hand launch rescue chute installation

I doubt anybody on the Kolb List is using a hand deployed parachute. When I got mine, 1984, ballistic recovery systems were extremely new, and my poor budget would not allow me to have one. It took extra time to get into the parachute harness, was cumbersome getting in and out of the airplane with it on, difficult to get the seat belt and shoulder harness connected, and finally, the weight of the parachute was always on top of my legs. I often dreamed of the ease of getting in and out of an airplane equipped with a ballistic parachute. So much easier to get in, buckle up, and take off. However, my desire to fly was so great, I never complained about the hours that Jim Handbury hand deployed parachute rode in my lap.

Brother Jim is correct. I could best grasp the handle on top of the pack tray with both hands, snatch the deployment bag out of the pack tray, then throw it out, down and to the left, with both hands. I am right handed. A left hander will probably be able to do a better job of tossing out the deployment bag down and to the right.

October 1985, I flew to Florida so Brother Jim could repack my parachute. Before we opened it up, Jim asked me if I had ever practiced deploying it. I had not. He told me to put it on, sit down on the ac unit beside the house, and throw it. I did. Seven days later the parachute saved my life.

john h

Quote:

----- You throw it forehand, across your lap? I would have thought you'd throw it down on the side of the arm you're using.

-Dana

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Ultrastar hand launch rescue chute installation Reply with quote

I agree with you.

The primary mission is the get yourself down safely. What attitude and the condition of the equipment does not matter one bit, in a situation like this. Getting on the ground safely is.

Both times I used my hand deployed parachute, I knew I would sacrifice the airplane. Throwing the deployment bag down and to the left sent it under the left wing strut. When I got opening shock, it broke the round aluminum strut, allowed the left wing to fly up and over the top of the airplane, and down on the right wing. I had 4130 streamlined struts on the FS. That strut did not break. I had both wings fully extended until I went through the tall oak and hickory trees.  Then the left wing folded down a little.

john h
mkIII
[quote] But then again who is to say what attitude you may be in at the time.

Boyd Young
My ..02 worth.

[b]

Titus, Alabama
vince(at)devonwindmills.c

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Ultrastar hand launch rescue chute installation Reply with quote

Hey John
What caused you to need the chute each time.? Congratulations by the way.
Are you saying the bridle is attached to circraft strong point , not to youor your seat belt?
Im interested because I was wondereing if I could use a paragliders hand thrown back up on a sub 115 kg aircraft
Tel: 01803 316191
Mob: 07941 313141
[quote] ---

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Ultrastar hand launch rescue chute installation Reply with quote

Vinve H:

1-Upper aileron bell crank pulled out of pivot tube. Total loss of aileron control on my Ultrastar, immediate aileron flutter followed, although I was not aware it happened. Someone on the ground saw them flutter and told me. Ultrastar and all the other Kolbs with standard dihedral are not controlable without ailerons.

2-Leading edge of wing failure, both wings, from leading edge to the main spar. Folded up and back. Firestar would not fly in that configuration. Blanked out elevators, rudder, and ailerons.

250 feet, 75 mph, in the US. Threw the chute, got full canopy and full line stretch, parachute and aircraft horizontal, 1/2 occilation down and on the ground. No injuries to me. Totalled the US.

500 feet, 75 mph, in the FS. Threw the chute, got full canopy at tree top level, through the trees, and on the ground.  No injuries to me. Totalled FS.

Having much better luck with the mkIII.  Wink

john h
mkIII
[quote] What caused you to need the chute each time.? Congratulations by the way.
Are you saying the bridle is attached to circraft strong point , not to youor your seat belt?
Im interested because I was wondereing if I could use a paragliders hand thrown back up on a sub 115 kg aircraft

[b]

Titus, Alabama
Jean Pillaudin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Ultrastar hand launch rescue chute installation Reply with quote

Hi All,

Thank's a lot to every contributors, these information are very useful for me.

I need time to understand all. Thank's to Russ K. to try in french.

Have fun fly.

Jean

2009/3/28 Vince Hallam <vince(at)devonwindmills.co.uk (vince(at)devonwindmills.co.uk)>
[quote] Hey John
What caused you to need the chute each time.? Congratulations by the way.
Im interested because I was wondereing if I could use a paragliders hand thrown back up on a sub 115 kg aircraft
Tel: 01803 316191
Mob: 07941 313141
[quote] ---

kuffel(at)cyberport.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Ultrastar hand launch rescue chute installation Reply with quote

<< zig-zag fold of about 10-12" to take up the extra length of the bridal, what you refer to as a security belt
the bridle (security belt?) in a "Z" shape, about 10-12 inches long; put a couple nylon tie-wraps on to hold it in that shape; .. even break the tie-wraps. >>

Of course, if you use a one-ended zig-zag with relatively loose tie-wraps, you don't have to break the tie-wraps. See the crude diagram:

bridle-------------------- __ __ --------------bridle
    \ / \ / \ /
    | | | | | |

Tie-Wrap --> | | | | | |
    | | | | | |
    | | | | | |
Tie-Wrap --> | | | | | |
    | | | | | |
    |__| |__| |__|

Tom Kuffel
Whitefish, MT
[quote][b]

aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Ultrastar hand launch rescue chute installation Reply with quote

Jean, To brothers Jim and John's advice, I would add this.Before you do anything, take your parachute to a certified rigger and have it evaluated for your purpose. Make sure your parachute has a deployment bag. There were reserve parachutes manufactured without one. A deployment bag is essential to make sure the chute doesn't get snagged on wreckage. 
Parachutes are sized by the sphere they fit over, not by their area. Many hand deployed parachutes are woefully under sized for the load they will be expected to get to the ground at a survivable descent rate.
In my case I got the first thing right, I got the chute out and I lived. The second is what got me. When the rigger I took the chute to looked it over he said it wasn't large enough to bring me down alone, much less adding 80 lb. of hang glider and harness. My chute was a 26' with an area of 360 sq. ft. The parachute I fly with now, and have for the last 29 years, is also a 26', but it has 540 sq. ft. of area.
The first step in a deployment situation is to look for a path through the wreckage and throw the parachute there. Don't worry so much about which hand you use, you must get the 'chute out into clear air. Jim is right about the 'chute not having or needing a pilot 'chute. Because of this, the inertia of the chute after you throw it is all the energy available for popping it out of its deployment bag. Anything that impedes the chute from getting to the end of its bridle line takes away from that energy. Even though I threw it out of the wreckage and saw it go to the end of the bridle line, mine did not come out of the deployment bag until a wing of the now spinning glider caught the bridle line and jerked the chute out. From 800 feet I got at least six turns before deployment. There was just enough time to get line stretch, realize I was coming down far too fast and wham. Spent six weeks in a back brace and eventually ended up an inch shorter when the disk between the two damaged vertebra dissolved and the disks fused. No fun at all.

Rick
do not archive

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 8:49 AM, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I doubt anybody on the Kolb List is using a hand deployed parachute.  When I got mine, 1984, ballistic recovery systems were extremely new, and my poor budget would not allow me to have one.  It took extra time to get into the parachute harness, was cumbersome getting in and out of the airplane with it on, difficult to get the seat belt and shoulder harness connected, and finally, the weight of the parachute was always on top of my legs.  I often dreamed of the ease of getting in and out of an airplane equipped with a ballistic parachute.  So much easier to get in, buckle up, and take off.  However, my desire to fly was so great, I never complained about the hours that Jim Handbury hand deployed parachute rode in my lap.

Brother Jim is correct.  I could best grasp the handle on top of the pack tray with both hands, snatch the deployment bag out of the pack tray, then throw it out, down and to the left, with both hands.  I am right handed.  A left hander will probably be able to do a better job of tossing out the deployment bag down and to the right.

October 1985, I flew to Florida so Brother Jim could repack my parachute.  Before we opened it up, Jim asked me if I had ever practiced deploying it.  I had not.  He told me to put it on, sit down on the ac unit beside the house, and throw it.  I did.  Seven days later the parachute saved my life.

john h

Quote:
-----  You throw it forehand, across your lap?  I would have thought you'd throw it down on the side of the arm you're using.
-Dana

==== get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List tp://forums.matronics.com _blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution [/b]

[b]

aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Ultrastar hand launch rescue chute installation Reply with quote

oops, should be vertabra fused.

Rick
do not archive

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com (aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Jean, To brothers Jim and John's advice, I would add this.Before you do anything, take your parachute to a certified rigger and have it evaluated for your purpose. Make sure your parachute has a deployment bag. There were reserve parachutes manufactured without one. A deployment bag is essential to make sure the chute doesn't get snagged on wreckage. 
Parachutes are sized by the sphere they fit over, not by their area. Many hand deployed parachutes are woefully under sized for the load they will be expected to get to the ground at a survivable descent rate.
In my case I got the first thing right, I got the chute out and I lived. The second is what got me. When the rigger I took the chute to looked it over he said it wasn't large enough to bring me down alone, much less adding 80 lb. of hang glider and harness. My chute was a 26' with an area of 360 sq. ft. The parachute I fly with now, and have for the last 29 years, is also a 26', but it has 540 sq. ft. of area.
The first step in a deployment situation is to look for a path through the wreckage and throw the parachute there. Don't worry so much about which hand you use, you must get the 'chute out into clear air. Jim is right about the 'chute not having or needing a pilot 'chute. Because of this, the inertia of the chute after you throw it is all the energy available for popping it out of its deployment bag. Anything that impedes the chute from getting to the end of its bridle line takes away from that energy. Even though I threw it out of the wreckage and saw it go to the end of the bridle line, mine did not come out of the deployment bag until a wing of the now spinning glider caught the bridle line and jerked the chute out. From 800 feet I got at least six turns before deployment. There was just enough time to get line stretch, realize I was coming down far too fast and wham. Spent six weeks in a back brace and eventually ended up an inch shorter when the disk between the two damaged vertebra dissolved and the disks fused. No fun at all.

Rick
do not archive

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 8:49 AM, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I doubt anybody on the Kolb List is using a hand deployed parachute.  When I got mine, 1984, ballistic recovery systems were extremely new, and my poor budget would not allow me to have one.  It took extra time to get into the parachute harness, was cumbersome getting in and out of the airplane with it on, difficult to get the seat belt and shoulder harness connected, and finally, the weight of the parachute was always on top of my legs.  I often dreamed of the ease of getting in and out of an airplane equipped with a ballistic parachute.  So much easier to get in, buckle up, and take off.  However, my desire to fly was so great, I never complained about the hours that Jim Handbury hand deployed parachute rode in my lap.

Brother Jim is correct.  I could best grasp the handle on top of the pack tray with both hands, snatch the deployment bag out of the pack tray, then throw it out, down and to the left, with both hands.  I am right handed.  A left hander will probably be able to do a better job of tossing out the deployment bag down and to the right.

October 1985, I flew to Florida so Brother Jim could repack my parachute.  Before we opened it up, Jim asked me if I had ever practiced deploying it.  I had not.  He told me to put it on, sit down on the ac unit beside the house, and throw it.  I did.  Seven days later the parachute saved my life.

john h

Quote:
-----  You throw it forehand, across your lap?  I would have thought you'd throw it down on the side of the arm you're using.
-Dana

==== get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List tp://forums.matronics.com _blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution [/b]

[b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Ultrastar hand launch rescue chute installation Reply with quote

Tom K:

Not necessary. Snug down the tie-wraps. When the canopy opens, there is enough power to pull the kevlar bridal through aluminum and steel tubing. The main square tube that ties the main spars together on the top of the fuselage was flattened by the bridal. It wouldn't know the tie-wraps were there.

john h
mkIII
Quote:

Of course, if you use a one-ended zig-zag with relatively loose tie-wraps, you don't have to break the tie-wraps. See the crude diagram:

bridle-------------------- __ __ --------------bridle
    \ / \ / \ /
    | | | |   | |

Tie-Wrap --> | | |   | | |
    | | | | | |
    | | | | | |
Tie-Wrap --> | | |   | | |
    | | | | | |
    |__| |__| |__|

Tom Kuffel

[quote][b]

Titus, Alabama
Jean Pillaudin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Ultrastar hand launch rescue chute installation Reply with quote

Hi Richard,

Thank's for your advice, there is a pod (deployment bag) the surface (area) is 62 square/meter (670sq.ft) see the picture joined (mine is PD57 CR).

Via google from italian to english:
"The product range includes emergencies PARADELTA for free flight (gliding and paragliding) and for single-seater ultra-light aircraft and two-seater capable of satisfying the most varied needs."

http://www.paradelta.it/nuovosito/prodotti/sportivi/emergenze.htm

I used to fly glider always with chute (required in French country), and hang-glider too, and the balistic chute is the price of the UL....Then this is my choice.

At the beginning of my participation to this group I ask about the known issue with the frame and Dana answer me there is no issue, if you fly in the enveloppe, and the maintenance is good.

Ultrastar is well born, thank's to Holmer Kolb.

Thank's again to John and Jim to give us such testimony.

I am very proud to fly this Ultralight and to be a part of your community.

Jean

2009/3/28 Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com (aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com)>
Quote:

Rick
do not archive

Quote:

john h

Quote:
-Dana

==== get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List tp://forums.matronics.com _blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Quote:

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
a>http://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--
Jean

ScreenShot091.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.76 KB
 Viewed:  15945 Time(s)

ScreenShot091.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: