Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

smooth flying

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tc1917(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: smooth flying Reply with quote

Ok, after all of that stuff, I want to say this; if you want smooth flying
even in the afternoon, without the bad bumps, mind grinding tugs on the
stick to right yourself, the solution is easy: 'get a sling shot'. Easy as
that. I flew an original firestar for close to seven years and a lot of
hours. Flying to Florida to ride the coast line and just about every type
of thermal you can image and you know what, I got real tired yanking and
banking. Took hits that left me bruised and aching. Since I got the
Slingshot, I love flying even in the afternoon. This is the most forgiving
and capable flyer I have ever been in. I fly along side C150s and they are
rocking and rolling harder than I. What I get is more of a pivot back and
forth, left and right and a little pitch up and down but even the six and
eight hundred foot risers only show up on my instruments. It weighs in at
500 lbs dry (heavier than most) has a 912UL 80 hp (had a 582 gas guzzler)
and I couldnt be happier. Carrying a passenger is testy cause they have to
be small to get in and it really doesnt like the extra weight but I have
taken an 180 pounder up and it just requires a little more RPM to keep it
going. Lands just as smooth, just requires a hundred or more feet to get
up. So if you want smooth and zoom zoom, get a slingshot. Dont know about
the firefly cause it is too light. Hope I didnt bore you all. But -- if
you ever want the thrill of a lifetime, get to the Florida coast with us and
fly the beach, 80 miles down for a grouper sandwich, two hundred feet up,
two hundred feet off the beach, grand.
Something else, when I rebuilt my first ultrastar, I took some advise and
used stainless steel rivets. Some years later I got it back and had to
repair it and I learned a lesson. Stainless rivets are the worse things in
the world to drill out without overdrilling the holes. Been told by a Navy
aircraft repairman, very experienced, that we should not be using steel
rivets on alum. anyway. It is about dislike materials. But if you have to,
use steel because it will NOT tighten as much as stainless and possibly
weaken the holes as the mandrel is pulled. Stainless is actually too tight.
Take a sample of alum and test pull both and you will see the stainless
mandrel comes almost all the way through when you break it. There are other
problems with dislike materials also. My two cents worth. A properly
pulled steel rivet is better than an overpulled stainless. I want as much
meat around the mandrel ball as I can get. I am sure I will get heat from
this. Ted Cowan, Alabama

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Ralph B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: smooth flying Reply with quote

Ted, I notice the same thing in the Kolbra after many years flying the very light Firestar. It's that extra wing loading that does the trick. There is a trade off in everything, of course, and the Kolbra sink rate is much higher, especially with a passenger.

Going flying today in Minnesota. Wow, the afternoon high will be 45! It's a heat wave ...

Ralph

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kolb Kolbra 912uls
N20386
550 hours
aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: smooth flying Reply with quote

Ted, Thermals are just the Lord's way of passing out free altitude. Unless you're in a situation that demands organized flying, slow down, turn and watch the earth fall away.

Rick
do not archive

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 5:47 AM, Ted Cowan <tc1917(at)bellsouth.net (tc1917(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:
[quote] --> Kolb-List message posted by: "Ted Cowan" <tc1917(at)bellsouth.net (tc1917(at)bellsouth.net)>

Ok, after all of that stuff, I want to say this;  if you want smooth flying even in the afternoon, without the bad bumps, mind grinding tugs on the stick to right yourself, the solution is easy:  'get a sling shot'.  Easy as that.  I flew an original firestar for close to seven years and a lot of hours.  Flying to Florida to ride the coast line and just about every type of thermal you can image and you know what, I got real tired yanking and banking.  Took hits that left me bruised and aching.  Since I got the Slingshot, I love flying even in the afternoon.  This is the most forgiving and capable flyer I have ever been in.  I fly along side C150s and they are rocking and rolling harder than I.  What I get is more of a pivot back and forth, left  and right and a little pitch up and down but even the six and eight hundred foot risers only show up on my instruments.  It weighs in at 500 lbs dry (heavier than most) has a 912UL 80 hp (had a 582 gas guzzler) and I couldnt be happier.  Carrying a passenger is testy cause they have to be small to get in and it really doesnt like the extra weight but I have taken an 180 pounder up and it just requires a little more RPM to keep it going.  Lands just as smooth, just requires a hundred or more feet to get up.  So if you want smooth and zoom zoom, get a slingshot.  Dont know about the firefly cause it is too light.  Hope I didnt bore you all.  But -- if you ever want the thrill of a lifetime, get to the Florida coast with us and fly the beach, 80 miles down for a grouper sandwich, two hundred feet up, two hundred feet off the beach, grand.
Something else, when I rebuilt my first ultrastar, I took some advise and used stainless steel rivets.  Some years later I got it back and had to repair it and I learned a lesson.  Stainless rivets are the worse things in the world to drill out without overdrilling the holes.  Been told by a Navy aircraft repairman, very experienced, that we should not be using steel rivets on alum. anyway.  It is about dislike materials.  But if you have to, use steel because it will NOT tighten as much as stainless and possibly weaken the holes as the mandrel is pulled.  Stainless is actually too tight. Take a sample of alum and test pull both and you will see the stainless mandrel comes almost all the way through when you break it.  There are other problems with dislike materials also.  My two cents worth.  A properly pulled steel rivet is better than an overpulled stainless.  I want as much meat around the mandrel ball as I can get.  I am sure I will get heat from this.  Ted Cowan, Alabama

===========
arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

lucien

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: smooth flying Reply with quote

Ralph B wrote:
Ted, I notice the same thing in the Kolbra after many years flying the very light Firestar. It's that extra wing loading that does the trick. There is a trade off in everything, of course, and the Kolbra sink rate is much higher, especially with a passenger.

Going flying today in Minnesota. Wow, the afternoon high will be 45! It's a heat wave ...

Ralph

Does TNK even still make the Kolba? Or is it a by-request-only kit build like the FS?

I've lusted after the Kolbra forever (along with a billion other planes too I guess)...

LS

mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: smooth flying Reply with quote

Lucien C

Yes C I believe TNK will sell you a Kolbra kit.  You are correct C it is by request only.  At least C this is what I remember from talking to Travis a while back.

Hell C I guess they'd even sell you a Bell JetRanger C if you have the money.  : )

Mike Welch
sent from Gulf Shores C AL...here visiting youngest son C home from Afghanistan C and grandkids

[quote] Subject: Re: smooth flying
Date: Sun C 29 Mar 2009 08:50:14 -0700
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "lucien" <lstavenhagen(at)hotmail.com>

Ralph B wrote:
> Ted C I notice the same thing in the Kolbra after many years flying the very light Firestar. It's that extra wing loading that does the trick. There is a trade off in everything C of course C and the Kolbra sink rate is much higher C especially with a passenger.
>
> Going flying today in Minnesota. Wow C the afternoon high will be 45! It's a heat wave ...
>
> Ralph

Does TNK even still make the Kolba? Or is it a by-request-only kit build like the FS?

I've lusted after the Kolbra forever (along with a billion other planes too I guess)...

LS

--------
LS
Titan II SS

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=236664#236664

Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Find out more. [quote][b]

herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: smooth flying Reply with quote

Heck of a deal on the factory MkIII extra also... Cannot believe it has not sold!! Herb

At 12:11 PM 3/29/2009, you wrote:
[quote]Lucien,

Yes, I believe TNK will sell you a Kolbra kit. You are correct, it is by request only. At least, this is what I remember from talking to Travis a while back.

Hell, I guess they'd even sell you a Bell JetRanger, if you have the money. : )

Mike Welch
sent from Gulf Shores, AL...here visiting youngest son, home from Afghanistan, and grandkids

> Subject: Re: smooth flying
> From: lstavenhagen(at)hotmail.com
> Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 08:50:14 -0700
> To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
>
> --> Kolb-List message posted by: "lucien" <lstavenhagen(at)hotmail.com>
>
>
> Ralph B wrote:
> > Ted, I notice the same thing in the Kolbra after many years flying the very light Firestar. It's that extra wing loading that does the trick. There is a trade off in everything, of course, and the Kolbra sink rate is much higher, especially with a passenger.
> >
> > Going flying today in Minnesota. Wow, the afternoon high will be 45! It's a heat wave ...
> >
> > Ralph
>
>
> Does TNK even still make the Kolba? Or is it a by-request-only kit build like the FS?
>
> I've lusted after the Kolbra forever (along with a billion other planes too I guess)...
>
> LS
>
> --------
> LS
> Titan II SS
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=236664#236664
>
> >
>
>

Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Find out more.
[b]

Fran Losey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: smooth flying Reply with quote

From a fellow Marine, thank him please for his service to our great Country!
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 10:11:25 -0700
To: <kolb-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: RE: Kolb-List: Re: smooth flying
Lucien=2C

&nbsp=3B Yes=2C I believe TNK will sell you a Kolbra kit.&= nbsp=3B You are correct=2C it is by request only.&nbsp=3B At least=2C this = is what I remember from talking to Travis a while back.

&nbsp=3B Hel= l=2C I guess they'd even sell you a Bell JetRanger=2C if you have the money= .&nbsp=3B : )

Mike Welch
sent from Gulf Shores=2C AL...here visit= ing youngest son=2C home from Afghanistan=2C and grandkids

&gt=3B Su= bject: Kolb-List: Re: smooth flying
&gt=3B From: lstavenhagen(at)hotmail.co= m
&gt=3B Date: Sun=2C 29 Mar 2009 08:50:14 -0700
&gt=3B To: kolb-list= (at)matronics.com
&gt=3B
&gt=3B --&gt=3B Kolb-List message posted by: "= lucien" &lt=3Blstavenhagen(at)hotmail.com&gt=3B
&gt=3B
&gt=3B
&gt= =3B Ralph B wrote:
&gt=3B &gt=3B Ted=2C I notice the same thing in the K= olbra after many years flying the very light Firestar. It's that extra wing= loading that does the trick. There is a trade off in everything=2C of cour= se=2C and the Kolbra sink rate is much higher=2C especially with a passenge= r.
&gt=3B &gt=3B
&gt=3B &gt=3B Going flying today in Minnesota. Wow= =2C the afternoon high will be 45! It's a heat wave ...
&gt=3B &gt=3B &gt=3B &gt=3B Ralph
&gt=3B
&gt=3B
&gt=3B Does TNK even still m= ake the Kolba? Or is it a by-request-only kit build like the FS?
&gt=3B =
&gt=3B I've lusted after the Kolbra forever (along with a billion other= planes too I guess)...
&gt=3B
&gt=3B LS
&gt=3B
&gt=3B ------= --
&gt=3B LS
&gt=3B Titan II SS
&gt=3B
&gt=3B
&gt=3B
&= gt=3B
&gt=3B Read this topic online here:
&gt=3B
&gt=3B http://f= orums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=3D236664#236664
&gt=3B
&gt=3B Hotmail=AE is up to 70% fa= ster. Now good news travels really fast. [url=#000000] _-=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D _-=3D - The Kolb-List Email Forum - _-=3D Use the Matronics List Features Navigator to browse _-=3D the many List utilities such as List Un/Subscription, _-=3D Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, _-=3D Photoshare, and much much more: _-=3D _-=3D --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List[/url] _-=3D _-=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D _-=3D - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - _-=3D Same great content also available via the Web Forums! _-=3D _-=3D --> http://forums.matronics.com _-=3D _-=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D _-=3D - List Contribution Web Site - _-=3D Thank you for your generous support! _-=3D -Matt Dralle, List Admin. _-=3D --> http://www.matronics.com/contribution _-=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D [/b][/quote]

loseyf@comcast.net
JetPilot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: smooth flying Reply with quote

That is a very good flight report on the Slingshot, I am sure many people will like the information as they lurk here wondering which Kolb they should build.

What part of the Florida coastline did you fly ?

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
JetPilot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: smooth flying Reply with quote

P.S. The factory Kolb is about the best deal on a very nice Kolb that one will ever find. I wish that was for sale when I bought mine. Just the parts alone for that Kolb would cost more than they are asking for it, and its already built.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: