Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Victoria Falls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Victoria Falls Reply with quote

Hi,
hope this works!.

This should be 3 pics of me flying at the Victoria Falls in a weightshift while in Zambia a couple of weeks ago. Quite exciting flying around and through the spray which was so atomised that the cloud just kept going up until it reached cloudbase.
Flew up the Zambesi at under 500 ft looking for hippos, crocs. etc with no luck, but did find a herd of giraffes.

Cheers

Pat

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

DSC01127.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.9 KB
 Viewed:  2753 Time(s)

DSC01127.JPG

DSC01052.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.04 KB

DSC01052.JPG

DSC01035.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  152.3 KB

DSC01035.JPG

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Victoria Falls Reply with quote

Patrick:

Do you fly the trike from the back seat?

Notice a nice reliable 912 powering the trike.

Nice photos of the Falls.

I envy your travels. I have never been to Africa, but would love to do some serious flying there, if I could afford the bill.

john h
mkIII

This should be 3 pics of me flying at the Victoria Falls in a weightshift while in Zambia a couple of weeks ago. Quite exciting flying around and through the spray which was so atomised that the cloud just kept going up until it reached cloudbase.
[quote] Flew up the Zambesi at under 500 ft looking for hippos, crocs. etc with no luck, but did find a herd of giraffes.

Cheers

Pat
[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Victoria Falls Reply with quote

Pat- Nice photos! Thank you.

Bill Sullivan
    Windsor Locks, Ct.
do not archive
[quote][b]

lcottrell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Victoria Falls Reply with quote

I am thinking that he should adopt me and take me along on some of these trips.
Larry C
[quote] ---

Arty Trost

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Victoria Falls Reply with quote

Pat -
The shot of you over the Falls is incredible. You ought to make a banner and put it up over your house! :>)

Arty
www.LessonsFromTheEdge.com/uladventure2009.htm

"Life's a daring adventure or nothing" Helen Keller
"I refuse to tip toe through life just to arrive safely at death."
--- On Wed, 4/8/09, pj.ladd <pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com> wrote:

Quote:
Subject: Victoria Falls
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Wednesday, April 8, 2009, 9:15 AM

Hi,
hope this
works!.

This should be 3 pics of
me flying at the Victoria
Falls in a weightshift while in Zambia a couple of weeks
ago. Quite exciting
flying around and through the spray which was so atomised
that the cloud just
kept going up until it reached cloudbase.
Flew up the Zambesi at
under 500 ft looking for
hippos, crocs. etc with no luck, but did find a herd of
giraffes.

Cheers

Pat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Victoria Falls Reply with quote

Do you fly the trike from the back seat?>>

Hi John,
Perhaps more accurately `being flown`. I know my limitations. I flew a weightshift when I was considering changing from gliding to ultralighting and although I managed OK when I had time to think about it I decided that one day when I dropped out of the bottom of the glide slope 10 ft above the ground, I would push instead of pull by reflex and that was a complication i could do without.
I have seen young instructors step out of weightshifts into 3 axis machines with no trouble but I know I am not as switched on as I once was. The guy who flew me round the Falls parked the weightshift and then started up a six seat helicopter and flew a group back around the same course.

Africa was a new experience for me. Starting from Capetown and working north through Durban, Pretoria, Jo`berg, then to a Game Park and then north again to Zambia it was noticeable that everything `slowed up`.Hotel service fell off, organisation began to disintegrate. There were several in our group including me who needed wheelchairs at airports. It seemed to be beyond capability to get 4 wheelchairs in the same place, at the same time to synchronise with a planes arrival or departure.
From a group of 40 with 2 pieces of luggage each and 4internal flights they managed to lose 64 pieces for more than 24 hours and almost sent the whole groups luggage back to Heathrow about halfway through the trip.
Probably the most exciting bit was being chased by a massive she elephant which decided that our 12 person Jeep was too close and objected. She came out of the bush like a locomotive, ears up. trunk out. We were facing her and the driver hit reverse and accelerated backwards down the game trail at about 40 mph with the elephant bashing on the hood with her trunk. We slowly outdistanced her and got round a bend in the trail and relaxed when we realised she was still coming. Away we wnt again until we reached aplace where we could turn round and get out of there. Got some good pics though.
Cheers

Pat

[quote][b]

lucien

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Victoria Falls Reply with quote

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com wrote:
Do you fly the trike from the back seat?>>

Hi John,
Perhaps more accurately `being flown`. I know my limitations. I flew a weightshift when I was considering changing from gliding to ultralighting and although I managed OK when I had time to think about it I decided that one day when I dropped out of the bottom of the glide slope 10 ft above the ground, I would push instead of pull by reflex and that was a complication i could do without.
I have seen young instructors step out of weightshifts into 3 axis machines with no trouble but I know I am not as switched on as I once was. The guy who flew me round the Falls parked the weightshift and then started up a six seat helicopter and flew a group back around the same course.

Just FWIW and I know this isn't Kolb related but may be of general interest.

I found that the transition to weight-shift from 3-axis took the longest time of any other plane transition I made. It took about 20 hours to get comfortable and about 50 hours for me to get completely automatic. I was safe in perfect conditions after about 6 hours maybe a little more. That's actually a lot....

3-axis pilots also need special instruction in weight-shift from an instructor that also flies 3-axis. The primacy of training can be a problem for a longer time at the start than for a zero timer (yanking the bar in in sink, trying to yaw with the pedals).

Besides the bass-ackwards controls, the inputs needed are different. We learn the concept of control "pressures" in planes with discreet control surfaces, but in weight-shift the inputs are more like counteracting the behavior of a pendulum (in roll more than pitch really). I.e. try to steady a ball hanging by a string in your hand, etc....
To make it even worse, the throttle is on the left _foot_.

But if I can do it anyone can.

Finally, trikes are easily flown from the back seat when "training bars" are fitted to the control bar downtubes. This is how instructional trikes are setup.

do not archive

LS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Victoria Falls Reply with quote

I am thinking that he should adopt me and take me along on some of these trips.>>

Hi Larry,
i would make a pretty cantankerous father figure these days. I shouldn`t risk it.

Pat

[quote][b]

lcottrell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Victoria Falls Reply with quote

That's OK, I am pretty grumpy myself. Smile
Larry
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: