Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My First Impressions of the Safety Recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: My First Impressions of the Safety Recommendations Reply with quote

Hi Frank,

I spent a few years in the gumint business myself. I agree with all you said and have grounded my plane without waiting for the FAA bureaucrats to make up their "Minds".

I'm no expert on pickling engines, but the impression I got is all you really need to do is spray some special goop into each cylinder to prevent corrosion. When you are ready to use the engine again, just blow the goop out by removing a spark plug in each cylinder and cranking the engine a few times around. I suspect you can find the special goop at any aviation oil distributor.

Paul
XL grounded

At 04:58 AM 4/15/2009, you wrote:[quote]
  • In as much as it can in bureaucratic writing, the NTSB is shouting, "Put Mass Balanced Ailerons on those birds."
  • Mass balanced ailerons are the solution the NTSB wants and that is the solution we will get.
  • We ..as a group of owners and builders.. should forget about nit-picking, carping, and whining and focus like a laser beam on how to get mass-balanced ailerons on our birds ASAP.
  • Hingeless ailerons? I'm not qualified to comment technically, but bureaucratically, asking the FAA/NTSB to contemplate hingeless ailerons is like asking them to contemplate the impact of angels on the economy. They won't know what to say.
  • I'm joining ZBAG immediately. That group has done good work and I should have joined sooner. Being cheap was being stupid.
  • I'm reading up on how to "pickle" an engine
  • I'm calling my insurance company and telling them the airplane is grounded.
  • We can't say we didn't see this coming.
  • I'm grounded and unhappy, but I think the NTSB did a good piece of work. We have to get those hingeless ailerons flying.

Frank Derfler
AMD-made 601XL in the Florida Keys
[b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
careywf(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: My First Impressions of the Safety Recommendations Reply with quote

Where and how do you join ZBAG? I'm more than willing to provide some financial support for further testing of our airplane to get it safely in the air again. Like other have said, "It'll be one of the most tested ELSA in the air".

--- On Wed, 4/15/09, Paul Mulwitz <psm(at)att.net> wrote:
Quote:
Subject: Re: My First Impressions of the Safety Recommendations
To: zenith601-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 8:23 AM

Hi Frank,

I spent a few years in the gumint business myself. I agree with all you said and have grounded my plane without waiting for the FAA bureaucrats to make up their "Minds".

I'm no expert on pickling engines, but the impression I got is all you really need to do is spray some special goop into each cylinder to prevent corrosion. When you are ready to use the engine again, just blow the goop out by removing a spark plug in each cylinder and cranking the engine a few times around. I suspect you can find the special goop at any aviation oil distributor.

Paul
XL grounded
At 04:58 AM 4/15/2009, you wrote:
Quote:
  • In as much as it can in bureaucratic writing, the NTSB is shouting, "Put Mass Balanced Ailerons on those birds."
  • Mass balanced ailerons are the solution the NTSB wants and that is the solution we will get.
  • We ..as a group of owners and builders.. should forget about nit-picking, carping, and whining and focus like a laser beam on how to get mass-balanced ailerons on our birds ASAP.
  • Hingeless ailerons? I'm not qualified to comment technically, but bureaucratically, asking the FAA/NTSB to contemplate hingeless ailerons is like asking them to contemplate the impact of angels on the economy. They won't know what to say.
  • I'm joining ZBAG immediately. That group has done good work and I should have joined sooner. Being cheap was being stupid.
  • I'm reading up on how to "pickle" an engine
  • I'm calling my insurance company and telling them the airplane is grounded.
  • We can't say we didn't see this coming.
  • I'm grounded and unhappy, but I think the NTSB did a good piece of work. We have to get those hingeless ailerons flying.

Frank Derfler
AMD-made 601XL in the Florida Keys

" target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
=nofollow>http://forums.matronics.com
blank rel=nofollow>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: