Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GSC props
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul A. Franz, P.E.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: GSC props Reply with quote

On Wed, April 22, 2009 5:35 am, fox5flyer wrote:
Quote:

This thread seems to have morphed to GSC props.
Unfortunately, GSC was forced into mandating the 5 year limit. IMO, that
prop is no different than the engine that it is attached to. It requires
regular maintenance according to manufacturers recommendations. Even though
the instructions that come with it are very explicit as to care and
maintenance, it just doesn't seem to get done in all cases.

I can understand that you can't store a wood prop outside where it is getting wet from
rain and partially drying out continually. But, without the manuals and never having
read them, on the face of things I would be hesitant to get a wood prop because I
don't think I could operate it such that I could always keep it dry and parking the
aircraft mandates a hangar. So if you went on a trip and were weathered in, you'd
likely have to tie-down in the open and the prop could get rain on it for a day. Of
course you could probably devise a prop cover but that might not function perfectly at
the most vulnerable part - the roots. And as Lynn has pointed out, his prop came from
Florida where it had likely exposure to higher humidity so he found it necessary to
re-torque and then it sounded like he wasn't too confident about how long the job
would last.

I think it would be interesting and helpful if someone could post the maintenance
procedures for the GSC and put this required maintenance in proper perspective. As it
is, I don't think I know enough to ever overcome my reluctance to using a wooden
propeller.

In 1949 my uncle had a Luscombe Sedan and it was always hangared and nearly brand new
when on flight about 20 miles from home with a passenger, suddenly the prop separated
and instantly ripped the engine off the firewall. As you can image what this does to
weight and balance. Extreme rear CG. The passenger was in his ever flight too. Enough
of the firewall was ripped off too that you could see through the front by your feet.
Both of them were smoking at the time too - Camels or Lucky Strikes and gasoline was
running out of the header tank probably. My uncle told the passenger to lean forward
as far as he could but the guy was so terrified, he could not. Well, my uncle Vic
landed that tail dragger on a trail in the sage brush about 10 miles northwest of
Othello, Washington. My uncle had crushed the lit cigarette into the palm of his hand
and that was the only injury. Within about a week, a sheep herder found the engine
remains within a couple miles of the landing spot with one blade still attached. The
other blade was found within a quarter mile too. Maybe less. I can't remember for sure
who determined that it was a faulty wood prop, FAA, engine or prop manufacturer or
Luscombe but it was a fault in the prop. The warranty covered the prop replacement
which was only a small part of the damage. The plane was repaired and my uncle flew it
for another few years until upgrading to a some Cessna tail dragger, I was only a
little kid then so I can't recall which model. It could have been a 140 but I think
bigger.

So, the entire time of my youth I always thought how strange that someone would even
attempt to make a propeller that turned 2700 rpm out of wood. So, for me to ever
overcome my innate fear of wooden propellers, I would have to see the written
operating and maintenance procedures to determine if I really believed I could live up
to the letter of direction they state. I am so prejudiced that when I discovered a
Jabiru engine required a wood prop, that terminated my interest in Jabiru.

My 90 year old uncle Vic, stopped flying 3 years ago because he could not renew his
medical since he had a pacemaker installed so he sold his C-210. My brother took Vic
up in a Citabria a couple weeks ago and my uncle's flying skills seemed as sharp as
ever. Vic landed it perfectly on their farm strip after a sight seeing trip that
included the vicinity of that forced landing in 1949.

My uncle Vic was a bit of a camera bug at the time too and he got quite a bunch of
photos of the landing scene and later, the discovered engine. These were of course,
monochrome (black and white) photos but real nice. I think he's since scanned all the
negatives and has high them in fairly high quality. I will ask for them and post them
if anyone is interested.

That Luscombe Sedan is still registered to someone in the San Diego area. I don't have
the N registration number at hand but I'll get that too. Vic told me a few years ago
he tracked down the registered owner of that Luscombe Sedan and told him the story.

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

Bellevue WA
425.241.1618 Cell
425.440.9505 Office
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: GSC props Reply with quote

Ken Potter wrote:
I can accept the 500 hr IMO, however I still do not think that it applies in my case ie; new propellor, as delivered from factory in mid 90's still in box, blades not attached to hub yet, no torque been applied and stored in a heated shop. Anyways, you can't put a price on safety and I'll buy a new prop if I have to and do without something else less critical for a while.

Ken

Ken, Give Rick a call at GSC and get his advice. I agree with what you say. Inside , climate controlled is likely good for wood as well as the fact if never been tightened down.

I feel a big contributing factor to the loss of strength of a GSC prop is the user's over tightening them down under 100 inch/pound is about 8 ft . lbs which is really peanuts.

Then can fail but really they have a great track record.

I will move this topic to a GSC thread that was just started.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Most viewed Kitfox on youtube
Most popular on youtube
Highest rated on youtube
dave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: GSC props Reply with quote

Paul , Any prop can die. Trust me . !! No one is immune from a prop failure . IVO WARP NSI GSC -- I have seen them all.

Wood props are just as safe as any composite one.
Look at Gary Walsh's NSI prop that separated, what was the cause ? certainly not failure of the wood.

I highly recommend that All airplanes including Kitfox with any engine combo to have one or two safety cables attached to the engine and airframe. Mine has one attached to 2 points on engine and fished through the firewall and looped around the fuselage .

Paul A. Franz, P.E. wrote:
On Wed, April 22, 2009 5:35 am, fox5flyer wrote:
Quote:

This thread seems to have morphed to GSC props.
Unfortunately, GSC was forced into mandating the 5 year limit. IMO, that
prop is no different than the engine that it is attached to. It requires
regular maintenance according to manufacturers recommendations. Even though
the instructions that come with it are very explicit as to care and
maintenance, it just doesn't seem to get done in all cases.

I can understand that you can't store a wood prop outside where it is getting wet from
rain and partially drying out continually. But, without the manuals and never having
read them, on the face of things I would be hesitant to get a wood prop because I
don't think I could operate it such that I could always keep it dry and parking the
aircraft mandates a hangar. So if you went on a trip and were weathered in, you'd
likely have to tie-down in the open and the prop could get rain on it for a day. Of
course you could probably devise a prop cover but that might not function perfectly at
the most vulnerable part - the roots. And as Lynn has pointed out, his prop came from
Florida where it had likely exposure to higher humidity so he found it necessary to
re-torque and then it sounded like he wasn't too confident about how long the job
would last.

I think it would be interesting and helpful if someone could post the maintenance
procedures for the GSC and put this required maintenance in proper perspective. As it
is, I don't think I know enough to ever overcome my reluctance to using a wooden
propeller.

In 1949 my uncle had a Luscombe Sedan and it was always hangared and nearly brand new
when on flight about 20 miles from home with a passenger, suddenly the prop separated
and instantly ripped the engine off the firewall. As you can image what this does to
weight and balance. Extreme rear CG. The passenger was in his ever flight too. Enough
of the firewall was ripped off too that you could see through the front by your feet.
Both of them were smoking at the time too - Camels or Lucky Strikes and gasoline was
running out of the header tank probably. My uncle told the passenger to lean forward
as far as he could but the guy was so terrified, he could not. Well, my uncle Vic
landed that tail dragger on a trail in the sage brush about 10 miles northwest of
Othello, Washington. My uncle had crushed the lit cigarette into the palm of his hand
and that was the only injury. Within about a week, a sheep herder found the engine
remains within a couple miles of the landing spot with one blade still attached. The
other blade was found within a quarter mile too. Maybe less. I can't remember for sure
who determined that it was a faulty wood prop, FAA, engine or prop manufacturer or
Luscombe but it was a fault in the prop. The warranty covered the prop replacement
which was only a small part of the damage. The plane was repaired and my uncle flew it
for another few years until upgrading to a some Cessna tail dragger, I was only a
little kid then so I can't recall which model. It could have been a 140 but I think
bigger.

So, the entire time of my youth I always thought how strange that someone would even
attempt to make a propeller that turned 2700 rpm out of wood. So, for me to ever
overcome my innate fear of wooden propellers, I would have to see the written
operating and maintenance procedures to determine if I really believed I could live up
to the letter of direction they state. I am so prejudiced that when I discovered a
Jabiru engine required a wood prop, that terminated my interest in Jabiru.

My 90 year old uncle Vic, stopped flying 3 years ago because he could not renew his
medical since he had a pacemaker installed so he sold his C-210. My brother took Vic
up in a Citabria a couple weeks ago and my uncle's flying skills seemed as sharp as
ever. Vic landed it perfectly on their farm strip after a sight seeing trip that
included the vicinity of that forced landing in 1949.

My uncle Vic was a bit of a camera bug at the time too and he got quite a bunch of
photos of the landing scene and later, the discovered engine. These were of course,
monochrome (black and white) photos but real nice. I think he's since scanned all the
negatives and has high them in fairly high quality. I will ask for them and post them
if anyone is interested.

That Luscombe Sedan is still registered to someone in the San Diego area. I don't have
the N registration number at hand but I'll get that too. Vic told me a few years ago
he tracked down the registered owner of that Luscombe Sedan and told him the story.

Most popular on youtube
Highest rated on youtube
JetPilot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: GSC props Reply with quote

Wooden props are very fragile, much more fragile than modern composite propellers. I have experience with this first hand, when a nylon strap gently BOUNCED off the tip of my wood prop, and split it to the hub. Keep in mind, it just bounced on the tip, there was NO catching of the strip on the prop, or mark on the prop leading edge, it just gently bounced off the tip... After this incident, I researched this issue and found very similar stories of it taking incredibly LITTLE to break or explode a wooden prop. There are so many stories and examples of this I can not even start to cover it here, just do your research, there is plenty of information on this if anyone really wants to know... Maybe one can fly safely with a fragile GSC prop, but why would anyone want such a weak and fragile propeller that you needed to maintain and be ultra careful with and an expert at maintaining it ?

There are plenty of better props out there, that are safer, and don't require perfect and expert maintenance and care all the time. So while we know you CAN use a GSC wood prop for many hours without a problem, its not what you SHOULD be using...

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
dave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: GSC props Reply with quote

Ok here we go again , Mike mouthing off, please post some facts to back up what you say . You see I post facts , pictures , videos to help others. Can you ?

Quote:
There are so many stories and examples of this I can not even start to cover it here, just do your research, there is plenty of information on this if anyone really wants to know... Maybe one can fly safely with a fragile GSC prop, but why would anyone want such a weak and fragile propeller that you needed to maintain and be ultra careful with and an expert at maintaining it ?

Most popular on youtube
Highest rated on youtube
akflyer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: GSC props Reply with quote

dave wrote:
Ok here we go again , Mike mouthing off, please post some facts to back up what you say . You see I post facts , pictures , videos to help others. Can you ?

Quote:
There are so many stories and examples of this I can not even start to cover it here, just do your research, there is plenty of information on this if anyone really wants to know... Maybe one can fly safely with a fragile GSC prop, but why would anyone want such a weak and fragile propeller that you needed to maintain and be ultra careful with and an expert at maintaining it ?

sooo Mike posts a first hand account of what happened to him, yet you say it is just mouthing off. so his factual experience differs from yours and is therefore hogwash? c'mon Dave, others besides you fly these planes and props and have different experiences than you have had, but that does not make them BS.

I tried a GSC prop on mine and could not get that bugger to track to save my life.

I have also burned up 4 motors on 2 different planes on the IVO IFA (actually the windings are breaking off at the armature). IVO claims that my brother and I are the only two people that this is happening to. So just because IVO says this cant be happening does not mean it is not really, in real world, real time happening to me. I just had to order another one after 22 hrs of flight time. If this one goes, I will be in the market for another prop.

Avid "C" / Mk IV
582 (147 hrs and counting on the rebuild)
IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1450
#1 snake oil salesman since 1-22-2009

I would rather die trying to live, than to live trying not to die....
Fox5flyer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: GSC props Reply with quote

Quote:

Paul , Any prop can die. Trust me . !! No one is immune from a prop
failure . IVO WARP NSI GSC -- I have seen them all.

This is truly amazing. Seen them all? Must be a joke?
Deke

Paul A. Franz, P.E.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: GSC props Reply with quote

On Wed, April 22, 2009 9:38 am, Ken Potter wrote:

Quote:
I can accept the 500 hr IMO, however I still do not think that it applies in my case
ie; new propellor, as delivered from factory in mid 90's still in box, blades not
attached to hub yet, no torque been applied and stored in a heated shop. Anyways,
you can't put a price on safety and I'll buy a new prop if I have to and do without
something else less critical for a while.

Ken,

I think you meant 5 years, not 500 hours as that wouldn't make sense. I suspect there
are exceptions to hard and fast rules that apply to you.

Before you abandon the use of your GSC wood prop, you should phone them or write them
or both. I found this:

"ATTENTION: All owners of the GSC ground adjustable hardwood propellers, we, the
manufacturer of the GSC propeller are imposing a TBO time on all our wooden ground
adjustable propellers of either 5 years or 500 hours, whichever comes first.
We recommend that when this time has been reached, your propeller be returned to our
factory for airworthiness inspection. Please contact our warehouse to get necessary
information on shipping method required to return goods to us."

GSC SYSTEMS
6255 OKANAGAN LANDING ROAD
VERNON, BC VIH IMS CANADA
(250) 549-3772 PH
(250) 549-3769 FAX

That's from a 2001 posting so I don't know if the phone numbers are correct but to me
it wouldn't seem sensible to have to send it in for inspection if it has never been
used and always stored in warm dry conditions.

Call them, my guess is you're good to go. Worst case would be that they exercise a CYA
policy and insist on an inspection. Of course, nothing would have changed just by
being stored for over 5 years in acceptable storage conditions.

<http://www.ultralightnews.ca/advisories1/propadvisory.htm>

OK, I'd say the phone number is fine but the address and the FAX have changed. Here's
their web site and from reviewing it, they might want to see the prop to verify that
it still is in balance and that it hasn't warped. Here's their website and what should
be current contact information;

<http://www.ultralightprops.com/contact.htm>

Address: Tel: (250) 549-3772
#8 2440B 14th Avenue Fax: (250) 275-8441
Vernon, BC V1T 8C1 E-MAIL: info(at)ultralightprops.com

--
Paul A. Franz
Registration/Aircraft - N14UW/Merlin GT
Engine/Prop - Rotax 914/NSI CAP
Bellevue WA
425.241.1618 Cell

The biggest difference between Republicans and Democrats is the
spelling.
-- Anonymous

"President Obama inherited from George Bush a $500 billion -- and
growing -- annual budget deficit and a ballooning $11 trillion national
debt. Obama nevertheless promised us an entirely new national health
plan, bigger entitlements in education and a vast new cap-and-trade
energy program. But there is a problem in paying for the $3.5 trillion
in budgetary expenditures that Obama has called for in the coming
fiscal year. Proposed vast additional taxes on the 'rich' still won't
be enough to avoid tripling the present budget deficit -- and putting
us on schedule over the next decade to add another $9 trillion to the
existing national debt. During the Clinton years, we got higher taxes
but eventually balanced budgets. During the Bush administration, we got
lower taxes but spiraling deficits. But now during the era of Obama, we
apparently will get the worst of both worlds -- higher taxes than under
Clinton and higher deficits than under Bush. In other words, we --
through our government -- are spending money that we don't have."
-- Hoover Institution historian Victor Davis Hanson

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of the blessings.
The inherent blessing of socialism is the equal sharing of misery.
-- Winston Churchill

Bellevue WA
425.241.1618 Cell
425.440.9505 Office
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
eskflyer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: GSC props Reply with quote

I had a first hand experience with a GSC prop. I had a bird strike , all it did was to put a little ding in the inlaid leading edge. It made more of a mess and noise when it hit the top of the windscreen . I landed and checked the prop and flew it for many more hours . I would fly another wood prop in a heartbeat . Anything can and will break . Maintain it the best you can and enjoy life . Deal with it when or if it happens.

Dave just because you are a jealous jerk does not meen that all the rest of us have no experience at things we do and see. And no i do not have to prove it because i know this is what happened to me .

We know you dont have to prove all the bullshit crap you do . OHHH yeah its really cool to run your prop and engine threw a mudpuddle , that takes a genius to to be a dumbass. Look at what happens to seaplane props and what water does to them .

Yep Dave your a ACE in my book .
Sorry folks just tired of the bullshit from Dave
John Perry

582 cbox 2:62-1 IVO IFA
1220 Full Lotus
lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: GSC props Reply with quote

Mike,

Was this with the Kolb. Pushers are notorious for shedding prop blades with
stuff inadvertently trying to pass through the prop disc. I think they are
fundamentally bad designs and can't be fixed. Do a little research there
are reports everywhere, I don't have time to go throuth it right now, but my
advice would be to keep the prop and dump the airplane.

Lowell

---

JetPilot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: GSC props Reply with quote

lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net wrote:
Mike,

Pushers are notorious for shedding prop blades with
stuff inadvertently trying to pass through the prop disc. I think they are
fundamentally bad designs and can't be fixed. Do a little research there
are reports everywhere, I don't have time to go throuth it right now, but my
advice would be to keep the prop and dump the airplane.

Lowell

---

Lowell,

You are correct, many many things pass through the props in pushers, one has to be very careful to make sure this does not happen, and then sometimes it still does Wink I am not one of these people that says " What I fly is best " just because that is what have and what I am used to. I do continual research on this stuff, and do the work required to study and to learn new things in aviation. When I find something new that I did not know before, I embrace it instead of getting all defensive and posting bad information.

As far as taking your advice, I have already taken it, I have my new Kitfox 7 SS kit sitting at home just waiting to be built Smile

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
JetPilot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: GSC props Reply with quote

dave wrote:
Paul , Any prop can die. Trust me . !! No one is immune from a prop failure . IVO WARP NSI GSC -- I have seen them all.

Any prop can fail, but that does NOT make them all equal. Just because there have been failures of all propeller types, that does not mean they are all as LIKELY to fail or resist damage. The fact that you imply that different props are equal just because any of them can fail is nothing short of absurd.

dave wrote:

Wood props are just as safe as any composite one.

NOT TRUE,

I have had both wooden props and various composite props, and I have learned from the experience. My wooden prop split to the hub over a nylon strap BOUNCING off the tip, not catching, no engine stoppage, not even a pull on the strap, I just saw the strap bounce lightly off the tip of the disc and shut down to secure the strap. I was in disbelief that such a non event had broken my prop so severely.

Then we have this Report by ANOTHER PERSON here on the list:

Rick Neilson wrote:

I did fly a wood prop on my direct drive VW powered MKIIIC and turned one prop into tooth picks when the prop struck a tree branch were it was about 1/8 inch dia. For that reason I will never own a pusher with a wood prop.

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC

After this incident I took the time to research this issue of wood props and found plenty of evidence to show that wood props are substandard performance wise, and overly fragile. There is a really good reason certified planes manufacturers have quit using wooden props for the last 50 years.

Another personal experience is that I had a Lockwood manifold pressure dual guage set go through my Warp Drive prop at full power while synching the carbs. This aluminum, brass, and steel set was cut to little pieces by the prop, but the prop stayed together. I did have to replace one blade, but the prop did not explode like a wood prop or GSC would most definitely have.

And most importantly, I do not have a prop that is so fragile, and prone to coming apart that I have to continually re torque it and baby it just to keep it safe, and then still have replace it every 5 years. In the end, modern composite props are vastly superior to wood, it just takes people a long time to break old habits and embrace new technology sometimes.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
n85ae

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: GSC props Reply with quote

Wood is a proven material, and has many good qualities. It makes
an excellent propellor. In fact the 240B's, we had to stop using the
composite warp drives, and switch to wood because they were
cracking. I've never had a problem with my wood Sensenich, it's nice and
smooth, and after 6 years I'm still happy with it. Oh, and what's this
about changing it after 5 ...?

Jeff

Fox5flyer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: GSC props Reply with quote

Jeff, that was just the limits that GSC imposed on their props before
inspection overhaul. 5 years, 500 hours, or 50k miles, etc. There have
been reports that GSC blades that, even though unused, were stored in their
original boxes for many years and because of positioning, humidity, or
possibly heat, there were cases of blades being warped and causing them to
be out of track. I read somewhere that when the prop is received from the
vendor (GSC) it should immediately be assembled then hung on a wall
somewhere with stable temperatures and humidity until it is time to install
on the engine. I don't know how much of this is valid, but sounded good.

It is my understanding that wood, in many cases, especially with the big
bore long stroke engines, is often the best prop because of it's ability to
absorb tortional vibration shocks without damage to the prop or crank parts.
Warp, and other props using Warp blades, even though very tough, is very
rigid and doesn't have this ability to absorb the shock of the pulses. Ever
notice the difference between a wood framing hammer and one with a
fiberglass handle? Big difference. The one with the fiberglass handle will
transmit shock right up your forearm where the wooden one absorbs most of
it. Another case is splitting mauls, of which I have a lifetime behind.
Thinking I would save on handles, I bought a Monster Maul which is a 10lb
head welded to an all steel handle. The plus side is that it will never
break or crack. The down side is that it transmits an enormous amount of
shock up through that steel handle, something the wood handle mauls don't
do. Wears me out. I keep meaning to put that thing in my next garage sale.
Might even give it away.

Now that I'm finished digressing, what does that say for aluminum? Lots of
aluminum props out there on big bores. Beyond me. Whatever works best, I
guess.

And as for wood props being fragile? I don't really think so. Maybe
compared to aluminum and glass, but if anything in many cases they can
absorb a lot of punishment without damage. My friend has a 1939 Luscombe
with the original prop still on it. Every few years he strips it, gives it
a new finish, and flies away. I believe what is best is to use what the
engine manufacturer recommends then maintain it accordingly.
Windy and rotten for the 4th day in a row!

Deke Morisse
Mikado Michigan
S5/Subaru/CAP 405+ TT
"The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress."
- Joseph Joubert

Quote:

Wood is a proven material, and has many good qualities. It makes
an excellent propellor. In fact the 240B's, we had to stop using the
composite warp drives, and switch to wood because they were
cracking. I've never had a problem with my wood Sensenich, it's nice and
smooth, and after 6 years I'm still happy with it. Oh, and what's this
about changing it after 5 ...?

Jeff

peteohms

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: GSC props Reply with quote

For what it's worth hear's an actual GSC incident that I experienced.

I bought my Kitfox III in Buckeye, AZ with a fresh annual done by Murle
Williams. A few days later whan I flew it home, I was late leaving Buckeye
and flew for nearly 6 hrs but had to land in Deming, NM because sun was
about to set. The next morning while doing a walk around on my Kitfox III
,before the final leg home, I found that the blades were loose (3 blade
ground adjustable GSC prop). One blade was so loose I turned it by hand.
Now I had turned the prop by hand on each blade before leaving Buckeye and
did not notice any looseness. And since it had a fresh annual I presume
Murle checked it also during the annual.

Now to be fair to GSC, the prop was 17 years old and had about 330 hours on
it. The last time it was tightened it used up all of the adjustment as the
2 halves were in contact. GSC would probably have correctly stated that
this prop was "used up" had they been asked. I did not like how hard they
were to adjust so I bought an IVO. It is a snap to adjust.

My advice is to send the prop to GSC to have it checked, just to be sure.
Also ask them if the proper torque has changed. Let us know how it works
out.

Happy flying.

Pete
Kitfox III SN 1000 912 IVO Grove

matronics(at)bob.brennan.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: GSC props Reply with quote

Pete - if the two hub halves were in contact your man who did the annual did
it wrong, and should never have turned the airplane over to you to fly. In
fairness I'm sure you didn't know to check that but he should have. GSC
states clearly the minimum gap allowed and being in "contact" is dangerous
and negligent on the inspector's part, no fault of the props or
manufacturer.

That's why I trained to be a certified inspector - who you gonna trust with
your life up there Wink

Bob Brennan - N717GB
ELSA Repairman, inspection rated
1991 UK Model 2 ELSA Kitfox taildragger
Rotax 582 with 3 blade GSC prop
Wrightsville Pa

--

JetPilot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: GSC props Reply with quote

Exactly my point about GSC, when a prop needs so much attention, and is so likely to become out of tolerance to be safe, it is substandard. You can always use the excuse, " It was not adjusted properly ". There is no reason to fly with props that have to be constantly checked, and adjusted, and that are very likely to be hazardous because of some unrealistic and constantly changing tolerances.

Modern, well designed props are trouble free, you set them up properly and they just work. You don't find people making excuses for Warp Drives and other props that they came loose because of this or that they were not torqued every other flight, or that the humidity messed them up. etc. etc. When a prop fails, or is likely to create an unsafe situation, the excuse does not matter. A modern well designed prop will just work.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
matronics(at)bob.brennan.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: GSC props Reply with quote

Mike,

I fly and enjoy my GSC prop, and respect the maintenance that is required
for it to deliver the attributes I expect of it and have come to appreciate.
I feel it is important, and appropriate, to share this with any list member
that wants to share this information.

We have heard, and I respect, your opinion on this subject. Please allow
others to express their opinions as well without shooting down every post
that is not in agreement with yours.

Thank you,

Bob Brennan - N717GB
ELSA Repairman, inspection rated
1991 UK Model 2 ELSA Kitfox taildragger
Rotax 582 with 3 blade GSC prop
Wrightsville Pa

--

eskflyer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: GSC props Reply with quote

Mike , we can still buy wood props for our GA aircraft and there is nothing wrong with using them . They take up much of the vibration and wood basically has a infinite life unless damaged . Yes we even have to re-torque our wood props. humidity and heat are the two factors here .
Take care everyone fly safe

JOhn

582 cbox 2:62-1 IVO IFA
1220 Full Lotus
JetPilot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: GSC props Reply with quote

eskflyer wrote:

Take care everyone fly safe

JOhn

There are several examples on and posts by people in this forum alone of very small objects that have caused wood propellers to shatter and come apart. There are even more examples of many GSC prop failures out there on the Internet. This alone should be cause enough for anyone considering the purchase of a prop to go out there and do their research before making a choice. I know some people don't want to know the truth or hear that they may have made a bad choice in propellers, but there are just as many that will want this information, so here it is.

Here is a report where proper installation and inspection still resulted in a GSC prop throwing a blade

http://www.auf.asn.au/airworthiness/gscbladeshed2.pdf

" The propeller had been removed and refitted some 12 hours before the incident, had been inspected and assessed taking account of the occurrences mentioned above and was considered to be in excellent condition. It had operated at 5,800 (engine) RPM for about 2 minutes
immediately before the failure."

http://www.ultralightnews.com/safety_bulletins/gsc_servicebulletin.htm

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?t=23515

http://www.ultralightnews.ca/advisories1/propadvisory.htm

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/aviation/1995/a95q0115/a95q0115.asp

Given this information, those that really do want the safest and best prop possible will probably do some research for themselves and educate themselves on this matter before making a purchase. For those that have already bought wood props and don't want to hear that they may not have made the best choice, that is fine. I am not trying to change your minds, you have a right to fly with whatever you like. I am sure there are plenty of people out there that will appreciate this information.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: