Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prop Governor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
romanupshaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Prop Governor Reply with quote

Long time reader, rare poster but need some help. I have bugged Carl and Jill with M14P Inc as well as Dennis enough so I thought I would give them a break. Also thought there must surely be someone else out there who has had this problem before who could offer their experience/advice. This is on a Yak 52. The prop "seems" to cycle from fine to coarse perfectly on the ground during run-up. I say "seems" because maybe I am missing something??? Once airborne it refuses to cooperate. The lowest (coarsest) I can get it is 70% with the throttle pulled back to even idle. I did try one recommended test which was while in flight and stable at around 70 square, to quickly (but cautiously) push the prop lever full forward to see if it went toward red line. It did. Linkage seems to be fine, and again, it cycles great on the ground. In the air it acts more like a fixed pitch prop except I can take it from the 70 mark to higher when I need to. It's like the pressure isn't backing off to allow the counter weights to rotate the prop.?! I don't know....which is why I write. Rich Hess also flew it recently and can attest to this. I think it is fine to fly, just not very efficient but I don't fly much for efficiency anyway. It's just starting to bug the crap out of me! I should mention that I just had one blade replaced and both re-painted with new edges. Jill and Carl handled that for me too. (Though I am innocent this time, don't ask why a blade was replaced. Suffice it to say... I now have a stop sign up at the end of my runway) Any input from this well experienced list would be greatly appreciated.

Roman Upshaw
Mobile Alabama

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
NebraskaYak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Prop Governor Reply with quote

I had a very similar problem last year. In flight I could never get below 70%, but on the ground it checked good. Double check your blade angles. mine were both off a couple degrees. Once I got them set right, everything worked as advertised.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Prop Governor Reply with quote

I am not totally sure of the problem.. .but as I understand it, you are
saying that in straight and level flight, if you pull the throttle to
IDLE (???) your engine RPM does not go below 70% ??? Really?

And...

1. You have not adjusted or replaced the prop governor.
2. You did not have this problem until recently.
3. You just removed and replaced the prop blades.

If this is correct... And ONLY if this is perfectly correct, then follow
the Tech Reps Rule. Suspect ANY problem to be where humans last had
their hands involved. In this case, check the blade angles on the prop
blades after they were re-installed into the prop hub.

Also, it would be of interest to know what your RPM is in flight at full
power with the prop handle pushed all the way forward to the stop.. An
exact number. If it seems like it is going to go over 100%, then of
course STOP and go not further.

Mark Bitterlich

--

romanupshaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Prop Governor Reply with quote

Sorry... been away a couple days. Thanks for the feedback. I will try the suggestions. Mark, you do understand it correctly. And remember, it cycles fine on the ground. However, if I pull the throttle back to idle and really slow the speed down, the rpm will come back. To what I don't know. But in straight and level, pulling throttle back, it will not slow down UNTIL speed really bleeds off....like on landing. This goes along with what I meant with it acting like a fixed prop. Hope that's understandable.

To answer your questions, pretty much all of them are "yes". I haven't touched the prop governor. I took the entire prop, hub and all, off and shipped it to Jill. I didn't personally replace the blades. The only thing I question is if I had a little of this prior to recently. It has never come back to a GOOD solid cruise setting but, again, I don't cruise much if ever. I know it used to come back to very low 60's. It is MUCH worse now though and is very evident ... even annoying. I agree with "where hands were last". That's why I wanted to seek advice before I went fooling around with the governor or elsewhere.

I know that on takeoff the power is right on 100%. I don't have much room for "sightseeing" on my strip during takeoff but I know it doesn't go over 100%. I will fly this afternoon again and keep both at FULL forward in flight and reply back with an exact reading on that.

Thanks to all who are offering suggestions!!
Roman Upshaw

wlannon(at)persona.ca

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Prop Governor Reply with quote

I would suggest that you check the blade angles. This should be done using a
propellor protractor by some one familiar with it's use.
It can be done using a modern level device but these are very subject to
operator error since they are a level not a protractor and require
calculation to establish the zero reference.

If the blade angle is set too low it will work just fine at high RPM because
it is under control of the governor which, from your comments, appears to be
doing it's job.When you move the RPM control to full coarse the governor
pilot valve is at positive coarse pitch. You now have a coarse angle fixed
pitch prop. But if the blade angle is set too low the RPM will be high.

Walt

---

mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Prop Governor Reply with quote

Everyone agrees... Check the blade angle.

A really horrible thought though is that something might have gotten into
the hub when the blades were removed for any kind of repair and the hub is
now not ALLOWING the movement of the blades that it should. I'd say that
this is highly unlikely and that the most probable cause is ... Blade angle.
But... If the blade angle checks out to be dead on, I'd be thinking of
checking to make sure the hub has "stop to stop" movement without
restrictions of any kind. Some FOD inside of that hub could conceivably
cause this. Hope not. And in fact, PROBABLY not. But....

Mark Bitterlich

--

smime.p7s
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  smime.p7s
 Filesize:  4.81 KB
 Downloaded:  459 Time(s)

nc69666(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Prop Governor Reply with quote

Roman, Gary in Las Vegas, I have had the same problem with my CJ, I have a M14-P, So just last week I checked the blade angles, by looking at the index marks on the hub, my blades were set at "0" on the hub markings so I loosened the blade clamps and reset the blade angles to 2 index marks coarser giving me a higher blade angle. Your Governer is working just fine, as it controls the high RPM, which it is doing at 100%. The blade angles in the hub, and the counter weights is what controls the low RPM. When the blade angles are set too low of an angle in the hub, as the airspeed increases the counter weights will go to the high pitch stops trying to control the RPM, but when they reach the high pitch travel stops, then the propeller becomes in a sense a fixed pitch prop. and the RPM will increase as the airspeed increases. I am getting 100% 0n take off, and at 160 MPH indicated below 4500 ft, I can get it to 64%, Manifold pressure setting 735 MM.&nbsp ; At around 7000ft. I can hold about 67%. I may set the angles ONE index coarser to see if I can get a bit slower RPM, but if you do, check the High Rpm on take off as I think that setting may be getting close to the limit for high pitch setting to still be able to get 100% on the off..
Good Luck with the settings.. Let me knw how it works out for you... Gary

--

wlannon(at)persona.ca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Prop Governor Reply with quote

There appears to be some misconception regarding propellor and governor operation and possibly some questionable practices being carried out as a result.

The prop. hub assy. (whether Chinese, Russian, Polish, etc.) are identical for operational considerations. They are all nominal 15 deg. hubs which guarantee a minimum available pitch range of 15degs. Both the Huosai and the M14P installations obtain a 15.5deg. range safely. Of course the blade angle settings for each are quite different. Obviously any change made to the fine pitch angle has made the same change to the coarse pitch angle.

The specified angles for the M14P installation are 14.5 deg. +/_ 10 Min (fine) and 30.0 deg. +/_ 20 Min (coarse) with the maximum difference between blades not more than 10 Min. These angles have been determined by the aircraft & engine manufacturers as the best compromise between take-off, cruise performance and margins of safety in the event of pitch control failure or engine failure.

The blade angle index mark set to "0" indicates the blades are set to the correct angle. However that cannot guarantee they are within tolerance limits.
NOTE to Roman: I should have advised you to check this setting to determine if your blade angles are correctly set.

The governor (more accurately the CSU or constant speed unit) consists of two units 1. a gear type oil pump that boosts engine oil pressure to approx 230psi for propellor operation and 2. a fly-weight governor that, with changing RPM, positions a pilot valve to control oil flow to and from the prop. pitch change unit. The CSU both provides and controls the motive power (oil pressure) for moving the blades toward fine pitch and CONTROLS the motive power (blade counterweight force) moving the blades toward coarse pitch. It does this by opening a single oil gallery from the prop. either to governor oil pressure or to drain.
Therefore the propellor blade angle and engine RPM are directly controlled by the governor, in both directions, at the RPM selected by the pilot.

There is one very important exception. That is when the RPM control is set to full minimum RPM. In this position the pilot valve is mechanically lifted and retained to fully open the propellor gallery to drain. The governor is out of the picture, the counterweights force the oil to drain and move the blades to coarse pitch. This function is called POSITIVE coarse pitch and directly relates to the safety considerations for the coarse pitch blade angle.

In the event of engine failure you will want the blades at the highest possible angle to reduce drag. If the engine is windmilling it will get there much sooner if you go to positive coarse. In this case you want as coarse as possible - feathered would be nice!
But, there is another failure mode to consider.
Here is the scenario;
You hear the engine RPM drop, the windshield is covered in oil and, if you took the time to look, the manifold pressure is up. But you don't have time to look. Your immediate action must be RPM control to positive coarse. The prop.pitch change unit has failed, governor oil pressure went to zero and the counterweights moved the blades to coarse. All the governor knows is that RPM has dropped and it senses an underspeed condition which it is trying desperately to correct by pumping all your engine oil overboard.
Positive coarse pitch stops the bleeding and you still have an engine that may get you to a safe landing albeit at greatly reduced power. In this case you want a coarse pitch angle as FINE as possible to provide enough power without over boosting your engine.

All the radial engines (using a single acting prop & governor) I am familiar with use a propellor coarse pitch setting that provides about 1400 RPM in the positive coarse position. The M14P is no exception if set up as the manufacturer intended..

Walt

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: